• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 1,272 Views, 10 Comments

Tricks, cloaks and wands: The Lost Tales of a Traveling Magician - divinearcadia



Trixie, fleeing Ponyville after her disastrous attempts at besting Twilight Sparkle with the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie begins down the path that nopony could have predicted and will lead her to places both wondrous and dangerous

  • ...
1
 10
 1,272

A Peaceful Interlude: The Travels of a Peaceful Wanderer. Part 2 of 3

To get this out of the way, I have no control over the characters of and related to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This is a piece of literary fiction, the events of this story are not intended to reflect the actions or incriminate anypony.

Peaceful Interlude: The Travels of a Peaceful Wanderer
Part 2 of 3

What does it mean to take up the mantle of peace? Do you live peacefully? Do you spread peace to others? What does peace even do in the course of life? These are the thoughts that run through Olive's mind two years after he discovered his special talent. He remained at home this entire time, still working with the ship wright. Nothing had changed so much in his life that he was unsatisfied or wanted for anything, yet he still wondered what it was that he could do with this talent of his. Maybe I just want to find if there are any limitations to peace.

Olive finds his mind wandering to these thoughts more and more these days. His family is prospering even more than before since his boss at the ship yard had begun to talk to traders and merchants about his families oil business a couple months after he had received his cutie mark. Contracts were signed and trade agreements established, all of which made all ponies associated content in their arrangements. Everything in life was wonderful, so why did he feel this way? I'll have a talk with my parents tonight about this.


The sun had just set and the moon barely risen when Olive joins his parents in the warm living room. They sit around the modestly furnished room, his dad reading and his mom doing a little embroidery. He doesn't quite know how he felt about the path his thoughts were taking, but they weren't doing him any good rattling in his head. He finally sits on one of the small, sturdy stools littered about the room with a lightly laden sigh. For a while he doesn't do or say anything as he simply basks in the atmosphere of his home and collects his thoughts.

“So, how's life son?” His father asks with a gentle smile.

“Life is good. Peaceful. I can't complain about anything in particular.” Olive says with a lighthearted chuckle.

“Anything you'd like to talk about?” His dad asks in response, getting Olive to lower his head with a sheepish grin on his face. His dad smiles at his wife who hides an amused smile behind a hoof yet can't hide the twinkle in her eye.

“I should know better by now...” Olive says with a laugh. “Yeah, I do. But I'm still not entirely sure what it is that I have to talk about. It's... not the easiest thing to put into words.”

“You're not going to be a father, are you? I know there's that pretty filly in town with the light pink mane you're sweet on. I didn't know you had it in you son.” He says in a sly tone. Olive splutters and his face heats up like a Hearths Warming Eve fireplace. His parents break out in laughter at his reaction, causing him to join in soon enough.

“Dear, you shouldn't do that to poor Olive.” His mom says with mirthful giggles still lingering. “He's having enough trouble as it is trying to talk to us about what's on his mind without you derailing the conversation like that.”

“Of course, of course. But I find these kind of talks to be better if you don't ponder too deeply and just let it come to you.” He winks at Olive who just smiles back, a little warmth still in his cheeks.

“Thanks for that, dad. But I'm not going to be a father just yet.” He says sticking his tongue out at his dad who gives him a look of mock disappointment. “It's about me and my special talent. I've been thinking a lot lately about what I can do with my talent. I mean, what are my limitations? What can I really do with it. I've never heard of anypony with a talent for peace and I want to see what it is that means.” He says getting to the heart of his ideas since his dad annihilated the obfuscating thoughts.

“Well.” His dad says with raised eyebrows. “That certainly is something to talk about.”

“Where do I even start though?” Olive says a little worried over his lack of direction. “I mean... what is it I can really do? It's not as though I can just go out and join the guards or something like that. That's not even a fraction of what it is that I know about peace, not to mention I don't think I'd be very good at it. Politics and law are for the good of everypony, but we hear about some of the legendary arguments they get into over some slight change in wording. I know I can help a lot of ponies with my talent, but I just don't know what to do or even where to start...”

They sit in silence after Olive vents his thoughts. His mother silent and pensive. His dad wearing a serious expression, Olive simply staring at the well worn floorboards of his home. His parents look to one another, a thought being shared without a need for words in the manner of long-time couples. They share a slightly sad smile before turning back to their troubled son.

“Then why don't you go ask the Princess?” His mom says. Olives head snaps up at her words, his mind trying to comprehend the simple sentence.

“What?” He says dumbly.

“Why don't you simply go to Canterlot and ask the Princess?” She says with a smile. “She sets aside a day each month to hear the petitions of anypony of the land. Your father has even been to see her once to ask her to bear witness to his marriage proposal.”

“Really?! I've never heard that story before.” Olive says jovially.

“Ugh... Don't remind me.” His dad says with a wry smile.

“Oh come on dear, it's very romantic after all.” Olives mom says with laughter silvering her words. “It was my fathers idea that his son-in-law should propose in a way that nopony would ever dream of. You wouldn't believe the outlandish extents some of the colts went through to please my father. It got incredibly out of hand until one day your father showed up to our house. I knew he had feelings for me since we were in school together and I always enjoyed being around him. However, my fathers words had kept him away for almost two years. My father accepted the proposals of two colts, but left the decision ultimately to me. I almost accepted one of them, but I held off to give your father his chance though. We didn't know what to think when he finally showed up one day with a proposal of his own. Now I know why he had kept his distance, working diligently in the hopes of proving his self worthy in my fathers eyes.

“It was odd to say the least. He simply gave my father an envelope with tickets enough for my family to take the train to Canterlot and reservations at one of their hotels for our stay. He told my father that the proposal would come the next morning after we arrived and even offered to pay for all our meals while we were there. Little did we know that he had planned to take us all up to the castle and petition the Princess to bear witness to his marriage proposal. My father was in a state of shock, my mother had fainted and my younger sister was laughing herself silly. Needless to say, my father accepted his proposal and I accepted. The Princess even sent us a wedding gift. Never have I been happier until our children came along.” She says with the glow of absolute happiness. “I think it's time we should use that very present, dear.”

“I think you may be right, honey.” Olives dad responds. “I'll go dust it off and bring it out.” He gets off his chair and makes his way back to their room.

“Your father may not show it all the time, but he goes beyond the common when his heart leads the way.” She says once they are alone.

“I don't say this enough to you two, but I love you. I'm very lucky to have you two as my parents.” Olives says warmly.

“We know, honey. We know.” She says with shimmering eyes. “And this is why you have to do this for us, and for yourself. The happiness of the children is the happiness of the parents.”

“That's right, Olive.” His dad says as he walks back in. Hovering in the glow of his horn is a small golden coin. He passes it to Olive who takes a closer look at it. The coin is much larger than a bit and about half the thickness. Both sides of the coin have the Royal Coat of Arms wrought in fine detail with little else marring the pristine surface. “This coin grants you a priority petition to the Princess herself. She also told us that we can use that even if it's not the appointed day for open petitions. You should talk to your boss tomorrow and see if you can get some time off for a vacation, I'm sure you could use one by now anyways to spend a few of your well earned bits. Depending on what may happen, you deserve to enjoy yourself a little before you see where life may take you.”

“I guess you're right. I'll send a letter to let you know how everything turns out and I'll spend some time for myself in Canterlot before I decide on anything.” Olive says thinking about his first real time away from home and how he should enjoy himself. “So... do you have any advice for me since this'll be my first real time away from home?” They sit around the room for many hours as they talk about Canterlot, advice for long trips and simple reminiscing about their own time spent traveling and the things they've seen.


Nearly a week after talking with his parents and boss, Olive finds himself walking out of the Canterlot train station on a bright morning. His saddlebags are heavily weighted with bits, both his own and a generous donation from his parents to help him cover his expenses while away. Remembering his dads instructions, he makes his way to the very hotel they stayed at when he brought his mothers family to Canterlot. He looks around at the pure white faces of the buildings as he makes his way into the city. The only stone buildings in Sea Crest are the government buildings and the bank. The simple display of wealth makes Olive feel as though he shouldn't even be there amidst the splendor.

But he continues on regardless of his feelings, his desire to see what he can really do is more than enough motivation for the young stallion. The city seems to continue without end as he walks down the lane. The gentle curves of the path leaves buildings and alleys hidden until he's right in front of it or he takes one more step. He almost didn't believe his dad when he told him about how intricately designed the city was, but he had hoped that it wouldn't be like this. He just hoped that he wouldn't get lost during his stay. He would be here for two weeks, at the least, after all.

Finally reaching the major intersection his dad told him about, where he could see both the Canterlot clock tower and one of the towers of Canterlot Castle, he sees a modestly adorned hotel on one of the corners. The alabaster front of the building is adorned with well-aged oaken shutters and a elegantly painted sign hanging over the front door displaying the name, Pirouette. Olive walks across the intersection and enters the hotel. The first thing he notices is the warm, aromatic atmosphere and the rich browns of well kept hardwood. The foyer is centered upon a fireplace to the left with bookshelves along one of the walls, the main desk desk is on his right as he walks further in.

“Good morning sir, how may I be of assistance?” Says a sharply dressed pegasus stallion as he comes from a room set behind the desk.

“Hello. I was recommended here for the duration of my stay in Canterlot and I was wondering if you have any rooms available.” Olive replies.

“I do believe we can arrange something suitable for you. Do you have any preferences or specific requests in a room?”

“No. Just a standard room is fine with me. Are meals included? Or will I have to dine out?”

“We can supply you with fare for a ten bit surcharge per day. Our standard rooms are 8 bits a night, though we can offer a discount for extended stays.”

“That sounds great. I'm planning on remaining in Canterlot for roughly two weeks, if that isn't a problem.”

“Wonderful. If you would care to sign in and join me in the office, we can settle the arrangements for your stay.” Olive nods with a smile and signs his name in the heavy book resting on the desk. After joining the older stallion in the office, he signs a simple contract covering any damages he may cause during his stay. Due to the duration of his stay, he only has to pay five bits a night in addition to the charge for meals totaling out to a little over two hundred bits for his entire stay. No wonder his dad had chosen this hotel to stay at. It may be a bit more than a normal hotel at home, but it wasn't going to make a beggar of him for his stay in Canterlot. He has almost six hundred bits left to spend while in Canterlot and he doesn't even have to worry about meals as long as he eats here. It's strange for him to have such freedom from responsibilities and spoiled for choice when it comes to find something to do for entertainment. The stallion gives him a room on the second floor at the end of the hallway with a window overlooking the street outside. The room is modestly appointed with a comfortable looking chair, a fully furnished writing desk and a very comfortable looking bed.

Keeping fifty bits for walking money, Olive stores the rest of his bits in one of the side tables beside the bed and makes his way back to the foyer to ask for directions to the Castle. He finds out that lunch is normally served from noon until one thirty in case he is out for a few hours. He thanks him for the directions and the dining times before he leaves to make his way through the city with a devout desire to not get lost in a new city. It's about nine fifteen when he leaves the hotel and the streets of Canterlot are bustling with life as he makes his way through them. If it were not for the distinct lack of salt in the air, his surroundings and the casual posh of these ponies, it would almost feel as though he were walking through his hometown. The directions given to him seems to be fairly straight forward and Olive quickly finds himself walking up the main boulevard that leads up to the Castle. Not too much longer and he now stands before the stoic unicorn guards of the Castle.

“Um... Hi. I'm Olive Branch and I'm here to petition Princess Celestia for some advice.” He says a little nervously at the flat stares he receives.

“Do you have a letter of admission or predetermined appointment?” A dark gray guard asks.

“N-no, I don't... But I do have this.” Olive responds, hastily bringing the golden coin from his saddlebags. The guardspony does a slight double take at the coin as he was about to casually dismiss anything Olive might have said.

“That will do, sir. If you don't mind stepping into the guardhouse to the right and allow us to do a preliminary search, we'll inform the Princess right away.” Olive nods with a sigh of relief that the coin was recognized and he wouldn't have to wait another week for the public day of petitions. They simply ask him a few questions about where he comes from and why he's here, casting a few unknown spells over him and his possessions before they lead him into the Castle proper to wait in a very comfortable lounge. He is visited shortly by a maid who brings him a good amount of refreshments to help pass the time by. About an hour passes by without him really noticing it go, it feels so unreal for him to be here asking the Princess directly for advice like some noble.

Then, the sound of the door unlatching causes Olive to jump out of his seat and turn around to see who has come to see him. Even though he thought it would have been a possibility, the sight of the Princess herself coming to him causes him to avert his gaze down and perform an awkwardly hasty deep bow in respect. She chuckles a little at his awkward obeisance and lifts him with a gentle hoof to his shoulder.

“Good morning, my little pony. To whom do I owe my timely rescue to?” Celestia says with a radiant smile.

“M-my name is O-Olive Br-Branch, Princess.” He stutters.

“My hero.” She says with a laugh. “It's not often my guards receive one of my tokens of favor, so may I ask where you got it from? I don't remember bestowing one to such a young stallion.”

“It was given to me by my parents, Verdant Branch and Glinting Crest. I'm their oldest son.” Olive responds with a slight blush.

“That would explain it.” She says with a reminiscent look. “It's not often I'm asked to bear witness to confessions of love and marriage proposals. His heart is one of the few that would have him to go to any lengths for those he loves. It was touching that he didn't even ask my boon, just for me to bear witness to his love, that I bestowed that token as a wedding present. I'm glad that he has finally found a use for it after all these years. So what is it that is troubling you so, cherished little one, that you seek my advice?”

Olive takes a beep breath and lets it out slowly to steady his nerves. He begins to explain to Celestia about his special talent and what it means to him. The thoughts that plague him, telling him to find the limitations of his talent. The paths that he thought he might be lead down that might not let him do what it is that he is really meant for. He eventually winds down as he can't think of anything else that might pertain to his quandary. He looks to Celestia who has her hoof placed elegantly against her chin. She is silent for some time as she mulls over whatever thoughts she has. Replacing her hoof on the floor, she smiles at Olive with a twinkle in her eye.

“Your talent is not one that has a position or occupation established in our country due to its rarity. As such, you are in a very unique position Olive. My advice on your dilemma may not be as crystal clear as you might like, but I think that it may be better for you in the long term. I am going to grant you a very unique privilege, my little pony, to find employment anywhere in Equestria that you may want. Not only that, but I shall also grant you a Royal Pension to allow you to live comfortably in times where you can not think of what next to do, and you may discontinue it in the event that you feel you have found what it is that you have been looking for. For now, I would like you to remain in Canterlot so that you may come to me with any thoughts or questions and have the opportunity to experiment with some of the positions you can find in the castle, such as a diplomat or other such mediator position. Have you any living arrangements set up within the city?”

“Yes, Princess. I have made arrangements at Hotel Pirouette for two weeks of board. My parents thought that I should make this into a bit of a vacation regardless of the outcome. I don't know what they'll think when they learn about this.” Olive says a little dazedly. The total implications of the Princesses words too profound and all encompassing for him to fully understand just yet. “I hope that isn't any problem...”

“Of course not, Olive. I would like you to partake of my royal hospitality, once your time expires at the hotel, of course. This way you won't have a want for anything while you're in such a tumultuous situation.”

“I couldn't do that, Princess. You've been far too generous as it is.” Olive protests.

“I must insist on this. Ponies such as yourself have a special place in Equestria no matter where you reside, and I wish to help you in any way you may need.” She says with a look that would make Olive feel horrible if he were to deny her this liberty.

“Okay, Princess... In that case, I will humbly accept your hospitality once my stay at the hotel is over.” Olive says with resignation. He then looks over to the grandfather clock along one of the walls and notices that they have been talking for almost an hour and a half. “Ummm.... Princess? We've been here for quite some time... Shouldn't you get back to your royal duties soon?”

At that, Celestia smiles with a little laugh. “And that's why you were my hero, Olive. The nobility of Equestria can go twiddle their hooves once in a while and let me spend some time with one of my special subjects. I would also like to let your family keep that token you have. They willingly gave it to their son to use in his time of need instead of keeping it safe in case of something else. Your parents are special, Olive, and I will always be willing to help your family because of that very selflessness. If you have a letter you want to send them, I will send it along with the token by royal courier tomorrow morning if you wish. I'll inform the guards to expect your letter if you would like that.”

“Thank you Princess, it really means a lot to me. I'll be sure to deliver my letter tomorrow morning, bright and early.” Olive says with gratitude weighing on him so much that he tears up a little.

“I'm just happy I could help you, my little pony. But I must get back to my quibbling nobles and ensuring Equestria runs smoothly for another day. I hope to talk to you again soon, Olive.” Celestia says as she turns to leave. Olive watches until she leaves before he gathers his saddlebags to leave. He finds his way back to Pirouette in time for lunch despite taking a few wrong turns along the way. After lunch, he finds himself sitting at his writing desk, looking out the window to the street below. Now what?

Author's Note:

Sorry about the late update, I had a little hiccup in scheduling and this got delayed. Next update goes to my other story in case any of you are reading that one.