• Published 22nd Jul 2013
  • 10,835 Views, 146 Comments

To win the Shield's heart. - Mr101



King Metamorphosis and Prince Bolero battle it out in an effort to win the affection of Captain Gleaming Shield, and ask her to the Grand Galloping Gala.

  • ...
38
 146
 10,835

Is harder then it seems.

To win the Shield's heart.





Gleaming Shield sighed as she got out of bed, it was a beautiful morning and she couldn’t be in higher spirits. Today was the first day of what was her first week off in many months, and she intended to enjoy every moment of it. Don’t get her wrong, she loved her job as Captain of the Royal guard as much as her little brother, Dusk Shine, loved studying, but it felt good once and awhile to have a break and relax.

That is, if she could get through the day without too much attention.

Not long after becoming the Captain of the guard, Gleaming Shield began to attract the attention of the nobles, common folk and others not because of her position, which granted was a factor, but because of her looks. Most mares were envious of how she looked; she had a curved figure with an ample chest and rump to boot, not too big and not too small.

This, however, had a little knock back as it drew a lot of attention, a lot of the time unwanted, by nobles in the castle and on rare occasions when they were off duty drunk, other guards. Two ponies in particular had been giving her attention more than normal, well one pony at least, the other was a Changeling.

She had been an acquaintance of Prince Bolero since her brother was young when Bolero had foal sat for her parents every now and again and Dusk and Bolero were close friends, however, Gleaming only vaguely knew him other than a friendly greeting but as she had grown up, Bolero had started showing more attention to her.

The other was King Metamorphosis, the current King and ruler of a large Changeling Hive just on the borders of Equestria. He had come to the capital a month ago with some of his army to engage in diplomatic peace talks with Prince Solaris and Artemis. She had obviously met him the day he had arrived, being the Captain and all, she had noticed his eyes twinkle slightly as he spoke to her.

It didn’t take her long to realise that the King had fallen in love with her, that, and the amount of gifts he kept sending her helped prove the point and she also knew that Bolero had feelings for her, but she was terrible at letting ponies down. She hated breaking the hearts of potential colt friends ever since she was in secondary school, and she didn’t know how to tell either of them that she simply wasn’t interested.

It also didn’t help that at the end of the week, one of the most important events that happened in Equestria was going to take place, the Grand Galloping Gala. Whilst she was looking forward to it, because this year she wouldn’t be on guard duty and it gave her a chance to meet with her brother, her adoptive sister Barb and their friends. It meant she was going to be asked to go by Bolero and Metamorphosis, but she didn’t know just how to go about declining their offers, or how they would feel when she told them about... it.

She let out another sigh as she got up and walked over to her dresser, she was really hoping to avoid both of them today. It’s not like she hated the attention they gave her or hated them, she found herself enjoying Bolero’s company as her friend and equally she enjoyed talking to Metamorphosis about his culture, plus she had to admit, she found his voice quite attractive.

She just wanted this day to be for her and her alone, maybe have a stroll in the gardens or visit a couple of shops or heck, maybe take a train down to Ponyville to visit her brother and his friends It had been a while since she last saw him and missed him dearly, her guard duties often keeping her too busy to meet up with him and the two siblings having to make contact with one another via the use of scrolls.

She opened the dresser and pulled out some clean underwear, a blue t-shirt which had her cutie mark on it - a present from her mother - and a pair of blue jeans, she slipped on a pair of white socks and her shoes and gave a final stretch before heading out of her room. Walking through the barracks she gave nods and greetings to those who were around either going on or coming off duty and made her way to the mess hall to grab some breakfast.


After finishing a bowl of cereal and returning to her room in order to brush her teeth, she began to make her way into the town whilst humming a tune to herself, she got to the entrance of the palace before she cringed as a voice called to her from behind.

“Good Morning Gleaming!”

She turned with a smile that hid her slight irritation and gave a polite wave to Bolero, who was walking up to her briskly with a grin on his face.

“Oh, morning your highness,” she said.

“Gleaming, you know I don’t like all this title nonsense,” he replied with a pout.

“I know, its just easy and fun to wind you up with it,” she replied giggling.

“So.. where you heading?” Bolero asked as he walked alongside her.

“Well... I was going to spend the day by myself relaxing,” she said, hoping he would catch onto the emphasis of ‘myself.

“Sounds interesting, why don’t we go for a walk around the palace grounds? The flowers are lovely time of morning.” Bolero grinned locking his arm with hers and began walking her into the grounds.

‘This is going to be a long day...’

She sighed as the two walked along.


“Good morning your highness.” a guard saluted.

“And to you.” Metamorphosis smiled.

Metamorphosis was in a great mood, the talks between him, Solaris and Artemis were moving along fantastically as both nations kept the focus on peace. A couple of months ago before he arrived, there had been talks between his own parliament about possible planning an invasion of Equestria and seizing the capital, but Metamorphosis had quickly put an end to the discussion of war and himself along with a few select guards and ambassadors had opened up negotiation with Equestria.

It also helped, that, he had met the most beautiful creature put on planet. Captain Gleaming Shield.

He remembered the day fondly, he had arrived in Canterlot on an agreed day in his carriage and was greeted by both the Princes warmly before being introduced to their Captain and thats when he first laid his eyes on Gleaming and was instantly smitten with her. Since that day, he had tried his best to leave her subtle hints about how he felt about her without trying too much to force his feelings on to her by leaving her gifts , though, he was beginning to notice that Solaris's nephew Bolero was also trying to win her affection so he had decided that he would be a little more forward and soon prove his love to her.

As he walked by a window, something caught his eye and he quickly stopped before looking out of it and growled to himself. He watched as the pompous prince Bolero, swaggered through the gardens with Gleaming by his side. Metamorphosis could clearly tell the mare wasn’t having a good time and decided that he would rescue her.


“So, I hear this is your week off, am I correct?“ Bolero asked as they walked.

“That’s right, I was planning on spending today alone and relaxing,” she replied, hoping he’d catch on she wanted to be one her own.

“Nonsense! A fine mare such as yourself shouldn’t be left alone on such a fine day such as this!” Bolero replied, missing the obvious hint.

Gleaming sighed to herself and tried to think of a way out of this situation, they continued walking together as Bolero rambled on about things he enjoyed doing and complementing the statues and plantlife in the gardens. After a while, they reached a small area with a couple of benches and they sat down to take the weight of their feet, for a moment they remained in silence till Bolero spoke up.

“So, Gleaming... you know the Grand Galloping Gala is coming up...” he said.

“Hmm? Oh yes I totally forgot,” she lied.

“And I must say that your mane looks simply stunning in Solaris’s sunlight,” he added.

‘Oh Solaris what do I say?’ she thought as she bit her lip.

“I was wondering if maybe you-”

“Ah hello there your highness, Captain Shield!”

Bolero was interrupted as the figure of Metamorphosis stepped into the area, a happy grin on his face. He ignored the glare that Bolero shot him and bowed to Gleaming, taking her hand and lightly kissing it. Gleaming blushed slightly and looked away, she wasn’t a massive fan of this kind of treatment as she prefered to be seen and treated equally as a stallion, such as fist bumps and high fives.

“And a fine hello to you too, your highness,” Bolero replied, slightly irritated.

“I hope I haven’t... interrupted anything?” he asked with a slight smirk.

“Nope, not at all, we were just talking,” Gleaming replied with a smile before Bolero could.

“That’s good, I was just wondering Captain. If you’d like to show me around the palace?” Metamorphosis asked her.

“You’ve been here a month your highness, surely you know your way around?” Bolero asked, knowing full well what he was up to.

“I must confess, yes, I do know my way around but I thought I could talk more about my race’s culture some more,” he replied with a smile.

“I’d love to,” Gleaming smiled, thankful for a temporary distraction, “we can continue talking later, Bolero I promise.”

“Well-”

“Wonderful!” Metamorphosis exclaimed, interrupting Bolero, “then shall we?”

Before Bolero could protest, Metamorphosis quickly led Gleaming away, leaving the prince to fume as he glared after him.


“And that my dear Captain, is how we express love to one another.”

Gleaming nodded as she listened the the King, they had walked through the castle and into the library where they had taken a seat and Metamorphosis had begun talking about how Changelings feed on love from the special connection they shared with another. Although it was fascinating to her, as she did sometimes share her brothers enthusiasm for learning new things, she knew exactly why he was telling this in particular, she gathered he was working his way up to asking her out to the Gala.

“So... now we’re alone Captain.”

“Please your majesty, you can call me Gleaming,” she replied with a sheepish smile.

“I will, once you call me Metamorphosis,” he chuckled.

She smiled at him as a maid came by to give them each a small glass of wine, Metamorphosis continued talking more and more into the history of his people and what the power of love can truly do. Although she was interested, Gleaming was only half listening as she tried to think of a way to tell him she wasn’t interested, then to tell Bolero the same thing later on.

“And if I’m honest... I could only do that... with you,” Metamorphosis said.

“Hmm? Sorry?” she replied with a rapid blink.

“I was just suggesting... if you and I could discuss... a way to further our countries relationship...” he said with an alluring smile.

Gleaming gulped knowing what he meant, she could feel some sweat forming on her brow as she tried to think of what to say. She didn't have to though, thankfully, as they were interrupted by a messenger who came into the library.

“Pardon me your highness, but I’ve been told to inform you that Prince Solaris has requested your presence.”

“Ah, thank you,” Metamorphosis nodded, “alas, I must go for now, but we can continue later on if you like?”

“S-sure ok,” she replied with a nervous smile.

She watched him leave before letting out a sigh of relief.

‘Too close... I have to tell them both, today!’ she thought to herself.

“Bit for your thoughts?”

She turned to see Bolero leaning on the doorframe with a smirk on his face, he walked into the library and took the seat Metamorphosis had recently left.

“Oh hey, Bolero. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if we could go for a walk? Maybe continue our conversation.”

Before Gleaming could say, he interrupted her.

“And don’t worry, his highness won’t interrupt us this time.”

“How so?”

“I had that messenger tell him that my uncle wanted to see him, “ he snickered.

“That’s pretty mean you know,” Gleaming glared.

“I know, but I’m sure his highness can appreciate a good laugh,”


Metamorphosis scowled as he stomped through the castle, he had entered the throne room to see Solaris in discussion with his advisors and was shocked to find that he hadn’t been summoned at all. He’d apologised to him before heading back to the library confused, it wasn’t till he saw that Gleaming had gone and seen her back outside with Bolero that he had worked out Bolero must of had the messenger lie to him and he was angry.

“Two can play at this game...” he muttered before transforming.


“So... about earlier,” Bolero started.

They had been walking back in the gardens like they were earlier, and had arrived back to where they were initially talking and had sat down. At first it was a nice moment for Gleaming as Bolero didn’t speak of earlier, he just engaged in general polite chit-chat with her about how she was finding her job to how Dusk was doing, even suggesting they both visit him on her week off.

It was short lived though when a silence had come between them and Bolero spoke up first, bringing up the discussion from earlier.

“What about it?” she asked raising her eyebrow.

Bolero paused and let out a deep sigh, quickly he grabbed her hand in his and looked at her, she looked back at him startled by the sudden movement.

“I won’t lie to you any more, Gleaming. I’ve been in love with you since you first became a captain, I watched you grow into a beautiful mare and I’d be honoured if you’d do me the honour of accompanying me to the Grand Galloping Gala.”

Gleaming felt her face go red as she tried to find the right words to tell him.

‘Crap! What do I say?!’ she thought in panic.

Luckily for a second time that day, they were interrupted as a maid came by.

“I’m so sorry your highness, but you are wanted in the castle by Princess Bluebelle,” she said with a bow.

“My cousin? Wonder what she wants... whatever it is it’ll be something annoying.” Bolero sighed.

Bolero kissed Gleaming’s hand with a smile before leaving to head back into the palace, Gleaming watched him leave and was curious as to why the maid remained. She heard the maid giggle before turning to Gleaming.

“A little gullible, isn’t he?” she said.

Gleaming watched as the maid flashed green and returned to the form of Metamorphosis who bowed to her.

“I’m so sorry for leaving were we left off earlier my dear, perhaps we can continue our... discussion?” He asked with a smile.

“Uh... sure,” she replied.

As the two began to walk away from the garden, she sighed softly as she shook her head gently.

‘For goodness sake Gleaming, hurry up and get the confidence to tell them already!’ she thought to herself.


Bolero quickly walked through the gardens trying to find Gleaming, halfway to Bluebelle’s room he had stopped to think on the actually likely hood of her asking for his help and then realised he had been duped by Metamorphosis. This was confirmed when he had returned to the gardens to find she had gone and came to the conclusion that the maid was Metamorphosis, given changelings had the ability to shapeshift, and was now with Gleaming.

“I won’t be beaten that easily!” he said aloud to nopony in particular.


“Gleaming Shield... I must confess something to you...” Metamorphosis started.

‘Here we go again...’ she thought.

“Ever since arriving here to negotiate with your ruler for peace, I couldn’t help feel an attraction towards you which soon developed into love. I just know that together we could truly be happy with one another, and I know that together we could help build a stronger bond of friendship between our kingdoms.”

‘Ok... he has a point there I guess...’

“Gleaming, would you do the honour of accompanying this humble King, to the Grand Galloping Gala this weekend?” he asked with a smile.

“I-”

“HOLD IT!”

They both looked to see Bolero storming over to them, red in the face and fuming.

“With respect your highness, just what do you think you are doing?” Bolero asked crossing his arms.

“I am asking the lovely, Gleaming Shield to the Gala,” he started, “why, is that a problem?”

Metamorphosis turned to face Bolero, crossing his arms as well and looking down at the Prince clearly not amused.

“You bet your cheese legs I do!” Bolero snapped.

Gleaming’s eyes widened as she heard him say that, she then slapped her forehead at Bolero’s stupidity. What the heck was he thinking? Trying to essentially antagonise the leader of another Kingdom.

“Is that so?” Metamorphosis sneered, “well, ‘Prince’, you’re wasting your time. Gleaming was about to accept my offer to go with me, weren’t you my dear?”

Metamorphosis and Bolero looked over at Gleaming who froze on the spot, her eyes shrinking and sweat forming on her brow again.

‘I hate being put on the spot like this...’

“Hah! See how she’s not confirming it?” Bolero smirked, “she clearly doesn't want to go with somepony like you, but rather a Prince such as myself!

“Poppycock!” Metamorphosis snapped, “Why would she want to go with a pompous, arrogant pink prince like yourself?”

“What did you call me?!”

“You heard!”

As the two argued, Gleaming felt her anger boiling up, she wasn’t happy that they were trying to make the decision for her and she had had enough of the unwanted attention and the bickering.

“ENOUGH!” she screamed.

The two stopped and looked at her, slightly shocked.

“How dare you just assume I was going to go with either of you! You’re both just... just... URGH!”

Gleaming stormed off, fuming as she entered the castle and disappeared, the two royals looked after her and then at each other.

“Do... you think we went too far?” Bolero asked.

“I think we did...” Metamorphosis sighed, “come on, we’d better go apologise.”

Bolero nodded as the two headed back into the building and after Gleaming.


Gleaming let out a frustrated groan as she slammed the door to her room and fell face first into the bed, she had managed to finally get away from Bolero only to once again run into Metamorphosis and had wasted the day trying to get out of the castle. She could have sworn that they probably placed a tracking spell on her seeing as they kept popping up wherever she went.

And she still hadn’t told them yet, despite how much she wanted to.

There was a knock on the door and she ignored it, there was another knock and she sighed, rolling over and sitting up on her bed.

“It’s open,” she said.

Prince Bolero entered the room followed by Metamorphosis, both of them looking saddened and slightly embarrassed.

“What do you two want?” Gleaming glared at them.

“We...” Bolero started.

“Came to apologise to you,” Metamorphosis added.

“We were out of line and we shouldn’t of made you feel pressured like we did,” Bolero finished.

“Well... as much as I should still be angry at you guys...” she let out a sigh before smiling, “I forgive you.”

Bolero and Metamorphosis smiled at her as a silence hung over the room, Bolero kicked the floor lightly as Metamorphosis rubbed his arm.

“So...” Metamorphosis started.

“So?” Gleaming asked.

“You decided who you want to go with?” Bolero asked with a sheepish grin.

“Look, there’s something I need to tell you. “ Gleaming said as her eyebrow twitched, “I’d love to go to the gala with either one of you, you're both kind and you’re very handsome...”

Both Bolero and Metamorphosis did a mental fist pump at this.

“But... I’m already going with somepony.”

Before they could say anything, there was another knock on the door and they looked to see a guard there.

“Oh, sorry to interrupt but, there’s someone to see you Captain, she’s waiting in the main chambers.”

“Thank you,” Gleaming replied, a massive grin forming.

She quickly headed out of the room with both stallions in hot pursuit, as they followed her she entered the main chamber and there in the room was a red coated mare with an orange mane, she had a casual expression that hid years of experiencing as a labourer and a piece of straw hung idly in her mouth. she was wearing a red and white checkered shirt and a pair of blue jeans that looked worn and were tucked into brown boots used by farmers.

“Macareina!” Gleaming happily called to her.

Macareina smiled softly as she embraced Gleaming and locked lips with her, Bolero’s and Metamorphosis’s jaws dropped to the floor as they stared wide eyed at the spectacle. Gleaming and Macareina broke their kiss and smiled at one another, Gleaming then took her hand and the couple began to walk out the room, she noticed the two stallions looking at her and she sheepishly grinned at them blushing.

“What can I say? I love the strong silent type,” she giggled sheepishly as they left.

The two stood in silence for a moment, staring at the spot where Gleaming was a moment ago before Bolero finally spoke.

“I did not see that coming...” Bolero said.

Author's Note:

[Edited version to come.] Any errors, feel free to let me know!

Comments ( 143 )
Vexy #1 · Jul 22nd, 2013 · · 2 ·

Yes.

nice job. have a mustache. :moustache:

Mmmmm. I would shine her shield if you know what I mean wink wink.

2917854
Oh you. :trollestia:

"Poppycock" o you Brits and your funny words:trollestia:

Oh my Grodd, that was a great ending.

89rbswogp9oipw^0sgjdso -=ÂISGPDP¸SDX^CV

STORY

Well, this I gotta see. Will Shield's LBBFF Dusk be making an appearance?

I agree with Bolero. Did not see that coming.

lol, i pity the stallion who was born pink

Did not see that coming....i hoped for Metamorphosis to won

WHAT DA BUCK! :flutterrage: *flips table*

Mah niggar

2918615 i wonder why that is, hmm:duck:

I had a feeling it would end like that, but I love who she ended up with though that was inspired.

2918222 then you need read more fics. I saw that coming long since before she ate breakfast.

2919106 'Tis a mystery, indeed

I can't fucking take R63 Cadence seriously. I just can't.
Dat Gleaming Shield tho... :heart:

The moment I saw that it based off the Avatar Shipping Short, I knew it was going be good. I'm surprised Metamorphosis didn't declare to her the old Zuko line; "MY HEART BURNS FOR YOU!!!!!! :trollestia:" Or Bolero didn't go to Celestia for Aang's little 'therapy session'.


Aside from that it was good. Apart from a few grammatical errors, it was a good read from start to finish.

2919300
Hehe, glad you got the idea from what inspired me to do it, and I was so tempted to include that line somewhere but I couldn't rally figure out how I could. :rainbowwild:

2919312 I suppose it would have been a hard line to get in somewhere without making him come off as well...completely bonkers. :twilightsheepish:

“HOLD IT!”
They both looked to see Bolero storming over to them, red in the fce and fuming.

Bolero! You're doing it wrong!
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130324182314/mlp/images/c/c5/Phoenix_wright_hold_it.png

*looks at young mare, stares* I have come to a conclusion. 11/10 would tap dat shit. Dat's some nice a** shit.

how they would feel when she told them about... it

i immediately stopped reading and went to the end

.............................I FUCKING SAW THAT COMING:pinkiegasp:

10/10 WOULD SMASH GLEAMING SHIELD :rainbowwild:

Comment posted by Messiah Complex deleted Jul 23rd, 2013

Sir....I saw what you did there

Well played.:eeyup:

2919903
Could you blame me? :moustache:

A Rule 63 version of the what could have happened at the canterlot wedding. interesting. changeling and alicorn fighting over a mare. :moustache::trollestia:
could have been if not for the bizarre ending. maybe a spinoff would be possible.

The best irony a story can have! Rating::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Reads through and nears the end... "Okay, okay... Progressing. Wait... Shield isn't? No... WHAT THE FU*BOOOOOOOM*"

That was bloody brilliant.

And that END! Haha! Perfect!

Nicely done, man.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Before reading: Kick his ass Metamorphosis you got this!
After reading: I'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED!!!

Riz

2919915

Wow...just wow...the ending...

......

I don't know what to say.....

A fun little story, but it could use a little work.
In spots.
Still funny, though.

So, back when Gleaming said about it I predicted she was a lesbian. I was right. :pinkiehappy: Didn't expect rule 63 Big Mac, but I did predict her being a lesbian, I love that. Big Mac, getting all the mares, even when also being a mare. :eeyup:

Since that day, he had tried his best to leave her subtle hints about how he felt about her without trying too much to force his feeling son to her by leaving her gifts ,

feelings on?

Big Mac gets all the bitches. Even when he's a mare.

You've got to admit, being pink isn't exactly threatening. And the ending! Even I didn't expect it! But seriously, Metamorphosis was being serious, when he called Bolero pink. You just can't be serious, or taken seriously when you're pink.

Oh, and here:

maybe take a train down to Ponyville to visit her brother and his friend.s

This made my day. And that ending was freaking hilarious!!!

-R33 ponies

-anthro

-not clop

I am so confused right now. Good fic though.

Why is shining shipped with Big Mac

That's just wrong

Congrats on the Featured box:moustache:

Login or register to comment