• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 4,794 Views, 134 Comments

Nature Of The Everfree - Lord Despair



The terrifying Everfree forest is finally about to be rid of once and for all, for the safety of ponies everywhere. The Everfree forest itself, however, strongly objects to that notion

  • ...
9
 134
 4,794

Trust part 1

Later That Night

In the gloom of the camp, the remainder of the guard ponies stood in silence watching the darken forest waiting and watching with their hooves holding an nervous grip on their spears and bows. Three battalions..... Three fully stocked battalions went into that forest and none returned, the tale that was told by Princess Twilight and her friends were horrifying one hundred and fifty guards were slaughtered by one single bear and the fact that the elements of harmony failed only destroyed their spirits further even a blind pony could see that any notion of morale was nonexistent. And there was nothing that could be done to remedy that. Even with both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna did little to encourage the fearful guards knowing it was only a matter of time before they will have to enter the wood. Many began to doubt the Princesses and the reason why they were there in the first place the damned project Scientia, many more wanted to simply leave and never returned to the wood but they knew that was impossible, the beasts will not let them leave for they had hit the hornet's nest with a ton of bricks and if they ever did manage the nobles would just throw them back into the Everfree.... the only way for them to able to leave now was death or the royals themselves abandon the ideal of the settlement Scientia.

Either way there is little they could do now, so they waited and watched... waited and watched for death to come for them.

Then right then they saw movement. Darken Shapes in the wood moving about silently the natural sounds of the woods at night masking the sound of their moments leaving the pony blind as to many was watching them. With a nod from their commander the Pegasi leaped in the air with bows in hoof while Earth ponies bore down their shield wall protecting the unicorns was they worked their spells.

The Beasts may had caught them off guard before but this time the ponies were ready.

''Where are ye girlies? we haven't finished our game'' Laughed a voice hidden in the wood.


A few moment ago
The Captain's Tent

Celestia's PoV

With an solemn sigh, I gently petted the sobbing Twilight's back, for hours now since we had arrived to see a furious Shining Armor and confronted the young alicorn she cried. As I did this Luna and Captain Armor busied themselves with questioning the elements... for the tenth time seeking each and every detail they could about this 'Cratus' and the guardians of the forest only to reach the same conclusion nothing.... nothing outside Twilight's discussion with mushroom men and the great bear Cratus who destroyed three battalions of my guards as if they were foals playing at soldier. It was daunting of how little they could tell us but not surprising searching my own memories of the time I and Luna dwelled in the Everfree I could not recall anything about these guardians and that scared me. As an immortal I knew many things I wouldn't dare to share with my little ponies not of some seemliest of moral superiority or overbearing authority but from fear of the what the knowledge could do in the wrong hooves. So out of love I must hid some things from them... I am not the first ruler to do so even when Discord and his chaotic rule there was things he hid such as the Changeling and Windigo armies that haunted Equestria at the time before he drove them out by destroying much of their food sources.

Perhaps he also knew of these guardians....

Nevertheless they are a threat to my ponies, taking a moment to share a look with my dear sister I dismissed the Elements for the night it wouldn't be right to keep them here all night for needless questioning that will led to nowhere. Shining stared at his sniveling sister with a mix of stern yet kind eyes before taking his leave of us to return to his ponies to give some seemliest of morale, leaving us mares alone in his tent.

'' Sister, what you make of this 'Cratus'? '' asked Luna with what seemed to be a emotionless expression on her muzzle to the untrained eye but I could clearly see she too was afraid.

'' I dunno dear sister but it's clear that we need to speak with Discord he may know about the bear and these guardians'' I said before removing my hoof from Twilight's back as her snores start to fill my ears. The poor thing cried herself right to sleep '' Luna can you make sure that she won't have anything nightmares, what happen today would torture for her for the rest of her life the least we can do is see that she'll sleep soundly.''

''Discord? you sure that is wise? we both know what would happen'' said Luna lighting her horn with cyan magic sending the magic into Twilight own horn causing the young alicorn to sigh sweetly

''Yes... we'll never hear the end of it but what else we could do Discord is one of the last of the Ancients'' I said with a slight frown, Discord is often difficult about sharing what wisdom he possesses unless there was something in it for him and a payment that often ends in disaster for those that make deals with him but we have little choice he is far older than Equestria or myself the oldest of the alicorns. We must know more about the Guardians of the Everfree.

''True yet we can't trust him'' said Luna with simple logic in her words.

''Trust? Sometimes trust is another word for faith and in the end the only thing we have is faith'' I countered with my own wisdom

''and each other''

''Luna.... have you been reading cheesy romance novels again'' I deadpanned

'' Hm maybe'' said Luna sheepishly before setting her lips in a cute pout giving the blue alicorn an adorable (and somewhat foal like) look instantly reminding me of when we were younger. Ah those were the days prancing about in grassy meadows filled with wildflowers... Oh what I won't give to go back to those days.

''Oh Wona'' I sighed with a teasing look

''Celly!'' said Luna incredulously puffing out her cheeks which strengthen her cuteness ''we told you to not call us that we're a grown mare-

''WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!!

Author's Note:

oh? is that some world building I smell?

please leave a like and a comment if you want more Wona:trollestia: