• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 4,788 Views, 75 Comments

A Dragon's Life - BraxAttacks



Hunter Cunningham, a shy guy who kept mostly to himself and watched a show about colorful ponies, wakes up one morning to find that he is a dragon. It's as awkward as you would expect it to be.

  • ...
9
 75
 4,788

Chapter 1 - A New Life Begins

-The Everfree Forest-

KAAAABOOOOOOOOM!

A massive thunderclap rang out loud through the forest, completely drowning out, just for a moment, the sound of rain slamming into a thick canopy of leaves and tree branches snapping and creaking in the powerful winds. Once the boom of the thunder faded, the horrible groan of the winds took its place.

Somewhere, huddled miserably among the exposed roots of a particularly large tree, was Hunter Cunningham. The meager shelter provided by both the tree's leaves and the twisted dome its roots formed over the small hollow he was crouched in did much to keep the rain off of him, but it did nothing to quiet the thunder.

For all Hunter cared, thunder could go straight to hell and burn.

It was doing as little as could be possibly done to improve his day. The deafening noise, the blinding flash of lightning that always came before, the fear that one moment he would be alive and feeling quite well but dead and burnt to a crisp the next was horrifying.

Nothing scared him like thunder and lightning. It always came out of nowhere, startling him enough to make jump and knock over anything nearby. The knowledge that something as hot as the sun could strike him at any moment made him feel more weak and puny than his skinny body. Well, than his skinny body used to.

Taking a deep breath, Hunter tried to calm himself a bit and take stock of his surroundings. After startling awake to drenching rain and booming thunder, he had run to the nearest thing resembling a dry space he could, moving on pure instinct. Despite all the distractions that had occupied his attention, he had not failed to notice that his body felt... he tried to find the best way to describe it.

A wee bit fucked up, he thought tiredly. His morning had drained him of anything close to energy, both physically and mentally, so finding a more poetic way of saying what he wanted to say about himself was unlikely.

Turning his head to look at himself, the first difference made itself known. His neck felt like a snake. He could move it with a flexibility and ease that frightened him mildly, though not as much as the weather. Glancing down at his body, couldn't help but reflexively try and run away.

He was a dragon.

Really, there was no better way to put it. Grey scales covered what looked like a lizard that wanted to fly among the clouds. His arms were short, relative to his torso, and ended in sharp looking claws. Powerful looking legs were positioned farther back down his now long stead of tall body, the muscles he now possessed easily felt all throughout his body. Extending from his... Back? Butt? Regardless, he had a long tail extending from his rear area, slightly longer than his torso was. Running from the tip of his tail up along his back and neck were short and skinny magenta spines.

Sprouting from his shoulders were big and strong looking wings. Unfolding them as much as he could in the space he had, Hunter could tell that he was capable of flight. Each wing was as long or longer than his torso, and were connected to him by a huge bunch of raw muscle and strength that could easily flap his wings hard enough to lift him.

Based on the size of the trees, he figured that his body was six feet long, not counting his tail. That was likely eight or nine feet in length.

He wasn't freaking out. After blinking once and doing absolutely nothing for a couple of seconds, he realized that yes, he wasn't startled or scared or even unsettled, which was odd, to say the least. Maybe it just hadn't really set in yet? That was probably it.

KAAABOOOOOOooooooom!

...Or maybe he was scared, but for different reasons.

An ear flicked, which made Hunter really want a good look at his face, but that wasn't what got his attention. There was a faint crackling sound coming from above him, barely loud enough for him to hear, but which seemed to be getting progressively louder.

Dread seized him as a thought struck. He looked up, and sure enough, there was a very distinct orange glow coming from the top of the tree, accompanied by the rapid flick of fiery tendrils.

"Not fire, please not fire," he whispered fearfully to himself.

Hunter ran out from under his shelter, the quick transition from dry to being hit by rain all over snapping his mind into clarity like a rush of cold water. Quickly turning around, he involuntarily sucked in a short gasp at the sight before his eyes.

The tree he had stowed himself under was absolutely consumed by bright fire. The sound it made could no longer be considered a faint crackle; It had become an outright roar that could be heard even over the wind. Flame illuminated a large area around the tree, casting wild shadows across the rest of the forest. All Hunter could clearly see was the fire and everything immediately around it, the other trees shrouded in darkness.

After only a couple of seconds, the fire started leaping from the first tree to others near it, the light and sound only growing brighter and louder every moment, yet he felt no heat. He hesitated to run, transfixed by the sight he was seeing.

He tore himself from the sight and ran, stumbling on his unfamiliar limbs as his mind switched into something not dissimilar to auto-pilot. The only thought running through his mind was to get away from the expanding wall of fire behind him. For a horrifying while, the sound didn't go away. Eventually though, it started to fade, yet Hunter didn't stop running. At some point, he wasn't sure when, but his arms and legs felt light and he stopped stumbling.

After some time, he wasn't sure how long exactly, Hunter was suddenly out of the forest. In front of him was a cottage that looked very familiar to him, but he couldn't concentrate enough to try and remember why he remembered seeing it. A small bridge spanning a narrow stream, bloated slightly by the rain, lead up to a wooden door that was slightly shorter than Hunter.

With only a hint of hesitation, he raised a scaled claw, clutched it into a fist, and knocked gently on the door. After a minute or two with no response, he knocked a second time with a bit more force behind it.

The door opened slowly, the hinges letting out quiet groans. A head appeared from behind the door, only to make a squeaking sound and retreat inside again.

Hunter blinked. Was that... no, it couldn't be. that's not possible. He looked at himself, at his scales, his wings, his tail. Clearing his throat, he looked back at the still open doorway.

"Um, could... could I come in?" He timidly asked. Slowly, the head peered out from behind the wood with wide blue eyes, partially covered by long pink bangs. There could be no doubt about who it was anymore. Hunter decided to ask again.

"Could I come inside... Fluttershy?"

~

Author's Note:

*Made some grammatical fixes that really should have been caught before releas
release, sorry!*

That's right folks, I've gone and flexed my fingers, sat down on a nice plump sofa with my laptop in front of me, and written some words. Not particularly great words, but words nonetheless!

For any of you who have read my other stuff, I apologize for the insanely long hiatus I've been on. I have no excuse besides a bout of writer's block and lack of inspiration. You guys seemed to like my other stuff (for some reason), so I'm sorry it took this long to give you something else to read.

Anyways, DRAGONS!! I wanted to write something with dragons, and this is what happened. I just can't stop writing HiE stories, can I? Weird.

This chapter isn't filled with much humor, but I promise you, there will be plenty. Most of it immature and lacking in wit, knowing me. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the long-anticipated return of moi! Feel free to suggest ideas for the story, though they won't get implemented until after the next chapter, where I'll finish establishing the premise.

SEE YA NEXT SPRING CHAPTER.