• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 711 Views, 12 Comments

Second Chance - Subject 19



For quite some time there have been heavy tensions between Equestria and Prance. The princesses don't want to admit it, but war seems inevitable. However, there is one pony who can help.

  • ...
4
 12
 711

The Proposal

Matthew was in the throne room where Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were listening to his proposal of forming a legitimate army.

“With all due respect, I’m amazed that this kingdom is still standing today,” Matthew said. “Equestria is extremely vulnerable to an invasion by anyone who has a formidable army. I didn’t become commander of an empire because I relied solely on peace treaties. I had the most powerful army at my command to help enforce those treaties.”

“Mr. Harris, the fact of the matter is that an army is not needed for our kingdom,” Celestia explained. “Our kingdom has survived for well over a thousand years and it still stands strong today.”

“How about this; if you can tell me that your kingdom has never been attacked by a major threat, I will drop this proposal immediately and leave you to your other duties.” When he failed to receive a response from either of the rulers, he allowed a smirk to form on his lips.

“Perhaps this pony does have a point, sister,” Luna said. “Imagine where we’d be if it wasn’t for Twilight Sparkle and her friends.”

Celestia let out a heavy sigh, knowing her sister’s words were true. “Mr. Harris, for what your proposing, I simply don’t think our kingdom has the budget for it.”

“What about the…” Matthew paused for a second trying to think of the name of the racing pegasus ponies. “The Wonderbolts? From what I’ve heard, their talents could be put to excellent use defending the kingdom.”

Celestia and Luna thought about the idea for a few seconds before the elder of the two spoke. “Give us some time to consider this proposal of yours,” the white alicorn told him. “Where are you currently staying, so I know where to send a letter to you?”

“I’m staying at the park in Ponyville,” Matthew responded without hesitation.

“Why in Equestria would you stay in a park,” Luna questioned.

“First, I don’t have any money. Second, I don’t know anypony there.”

“I’ll see if Twilight or one of her friends can give you a place to stay. Besides, you might make some friends there while you wait to hear from us,” Celestia said.

“I’m afraid I’ll have to turn you down on that offer,” Matthew replied. “Friendship requires emotions. Emotions cloud your judgment. I cannot afford to have a clouded judgment.”

“If you refuse, then I will not accept your proposal.”

Matthew opened his mouth to protest, but decided against trying to fight Celestia. He was at her mercy right now and she was exploiting that weakness. “Fine,” the gray stallion sighed in defeat.
Twilight read the letter Matthew brought with him when he returned to her house after the meeting with the Princesses. It told the purple mare that Matthew was to stay with her or one her friends’ houses until told otherwise.

“Well, I guess you can stay with me if you’d like,” Twilight said after she finished reading the letter.

Matthew simply nodded, his face empty of expression. His thoughts had drifted back to his memories. As commander, he remembered always distancing himself from almost everyone he encountered. The only people he even considered to be his friends were some of his most trusted generals. But even then it was debatable if his relationship with them could be deemed as actual friendship. Maybe he could give this friendship thing a try. What did he have to lose?

“Matthew?”

“What?” Matthew asked, returning his attention to Twilight.

“I was wondering if you were hungry,” she told him. “And maybe we could learn a little more about each other if we’re going to be living together for a while.”

Once Twilight had finished preparing some sandwiches, she brought it out to Matthew and the two sat down at the kitchen table. Owing to the fact that he hadn’t had a decent meal in a long time, Matthew wasted no time devouring the sandwich Twilight made for him. Twilight and Matthew sat in silence for a few minutes until Twilight finally broke the silence.

“What was your life like before you ended up here?” Twilight asked, hoping to start a conversation.

Matthew let out a heavy sigh. “My life was dedicated to the sole purpose of protecting my empire and its people.”

“Did you have a family?”

“No. In order to be an effective leader, you cannot have emotions cloud your judgment. I had no desire to have a family. However, that was my old life. This is a very different society than what I came from. I suppose it couldn’t hurt to try and start a new lifestyle.”

“Well I’m glad to hear that. I’m sure a lot of ponies here would like to be your friend,” the purple mare said.

“Do know that if Celestia and Luna do accept my proposal, I won’t be staying here for very long,” Matthew pointed out.

“Well I’ve learned that you should never turn down an opportunity to make friends.”

“And I suppose you have a whole bunch of friends you can’t wait for me to meet,” Matthew replied, sounding only the slightest bit interested.

“As a matter of fact I do. But that can wait for tomorrow. It’s starting to get late, so let me show you to where you’ll be sleeping.” Matthew followed Twilight up a flight of stairs and led him to a guest room. The room was basic, consisting of a bed, a dresser, and a night stand. “Here’s your room. Hope you like it.” Twilight then closed the door and let Matthew have his privacy.

“If those two refuse my proposal, I’m going to have one hell of a time figuring out what to do with this life.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking so long to post another chapter, but I've been having some serious writer's block lately with this story. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you're enjoying this story so far, leave a like and comment.