• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 711 Views, 12 Comments

Second Chance - Subject 19



For quite some time there have been heavy tensions between Equestria and Prance. The princesses don't want to admit it, but war seems inevitable. However, there is one pony who can help.

  • ...
4
 12
 711

The Endgame

Over the next few days, Matthew Harris slowly started slipping into a depressed state. Celestia had told the commander that their soldiers were to stop their advance and hold the line until told otherwise. King Forte would be arriving at Canterlot in two more days to officially surrender to Equestria. Matthew increased the security around Canterlot in case Forte tried to pull anything. The stallion would never tell anypony, but he secretly hoped that Forte would try and attack them, just so he would have a reason to kill the bastard. The news went over well for most of the armed forces, but a few of the officers were not happy to hear that their recent efforts would be rendered meaningless. General Swift Strike was one of the ponies not happy with the news, which he made very clear in a letter to Harris.

With all due respect, these orders are a complete insult to not only me, but to my soldiers as well. I’m supposed to tell them that we can stop now that the Prench have agreed to play nice? If we’ve won, then why aren’t we in Prance’s capital? I do not agree with these orders, but since they do come from you, I suppose I have to obey. I beg of you, do not accept Forte’s surrender.
General Swift Strike

This letter was met with an immediate response back from the commander. Matthew decided that Strike deserved to know his own opinion towards the decision.

I understand your disappointment hearing these orders, but I’m afraid there’s nothing I can do. I have been given orders by Celestia herself to stop our advance into Prance until directed otherwise. Believe me, I want nothing more than to completely conquer Prance and execute Forte, but the princess will not allow it when the matter can be solved diplomatically. It pains me to say this, general, but the war is over. I appreciate everything you’ve done for this kingdom, and I will make sure your exceptional leadership is noticed. If it helps, take comfort in the fact that peace doesn’t last forever. There will come another time when our kingdom will have to go to war.
Commander Matthew Harris

Deciding to get out of the office after spending four consecutive hours in the one room, Matthew left to walk around the castle. When he reached the gardens he saw six familiar ponies already there, enjoying the sun and warm weather.

“What the hell are you six still doing here?” Matthew asked as he approached them. “Surely you’re aware that Forte’s going to surrender in two more days.”

“We know, but we decided to stay just in case Forte tries to pull any tricks,” Twilight replied.

“Hate to disappoint you, but that coward isn’t going to be pulling any tricks,” he replied bitterly. “If I had it my way, I would kill him the moment he got here. But apparently that’s frowned upon in this society,” the stallion grumbled.

Pinkie Pie started jumping up and down. “We should have a big party for when he gets here! We could make cake, decorate the castle! It would be super duper fun!”

Matthew simply frowned at Pinkie’s comment, not even bothering to acknowledge her with any more than a facial expression. “What I’d give for the Changelings to try and invade Equestria again,” he muttered. “I need to find something to occupy my time now that there won’t be a war to fight. The war’s not even officially over and I’m already getting a bit restless.”

“Why not try your hoof at dating, darling?” Rarity suggested, overhearing the conversation.

“What is it with you ponies and romance?” he asked. “What makes relationships so damn good? I don’t see any one of you in a relationship.”

“That’s simply because we haven’t found the right pony yet,” the white unicorn quickly replied.

“Well did it ever occur to you that there simply isn’t anypony out there that interests me?”

“What about Princess Luna? From what I’ve seen, though I admit not much, you seem to have really taken a liking to her.”

Matthew silently thought about this, as no immediate response could come to his head. He and Luna got along quite well for the most part. She had stood by him through most of the war, until Forte said that he wished to surrender. The blacked maned commander wasn’t that familiar with love, but he wasn’t blind. He realized what Rarity saw between them. Finally figuring that he had more to gain than to lose, Matthew made his decision. “Fine, I’ll take your advice.”

“Really?” Rarity questioned, finding it hard to believe that the stallion had actually listened to her. “What in Equestria made that so easy?”

“The fact that when this war is officially over there will be little chance for another major conflict to occur. So it’s either try your idea, or go insane. I’d prefer to keep my sanity.”

“So when are you going to make a move?” Twilight asked him.

“After Forte surrenders,” he quickly answered. “As far as I’m concerned, Forte is still a threat to this kingdom until he has surrendered. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to take care of something.”
In Matthew’s office were two Pegasus ponies apart of the elite division of the armed forces. The commander was behind his desk as the two ponies waited patiently for an explanation as to why they were there.

“King Forte will be arriving here in two days to surrender to us,” Matthew started. “The princesses are fine with letting the bastard live, but I need him dead.”

“With all due respect sir, you’re asking us to commit treason,” one of the soldiers said.

“Bright Light, I am well aware of what I’m asking of you both, but this has to be done. Forte is too dangerous to this kingdom to be left alive. There is no telling what could happen if he is not killed. I need you two to ensure Forte does not make it back to Prance.”

The two ponies looked at each other for a moment, and then turned their heads back to their commander. “How can we be of service sir?”

“You will intercept Forte’s chariot once it is a good distance away from Canterlot and any other cities. Knock out the ponies flying the king’s chariot, causing it to crash with him still inside it. Do not leave any evidence that could trace back to either of you. If you are caught, I will do everything in my power to ensure the princesses do not find out about my involvement,” he warned darkly. “You two were held in high regards by your commanding officers for your raw talent. Don’t let me down.” Matthew motioned for the two ponies to leave his office. They nodded their heads and left without another word. Having finished going over his covert operation, Matthew decided to see what the princesses were up to.

Princess Celestia and Luna were in the throne room talking to each other over the recent events. The main subject was of Matthew’s recent depression. It worried not only Luna, but Celestia as well.

“I don’t know what to do sister,” Luna sighed. “I can’t think of a single thing that could brighten Matthew’s mood.”

“Don’t worry Lulu; I’m sure his mood will improve in time,” Celestia reassured. “He just needs to find something to get his mind off of Forte and war.”

“But what?” the younger princess groaned.

“How about the two of you go out for dinner?” she suggested. “It would do him some good to get out of the castle for a while.”

“Your highnesses,” Matthew greeted as he entered the throne room, causing Luna to jump slightly.

“Yes, Matthew?” Celestia calmly asked.

“I was curious as to why you’re letting the Elements of Harmony continue to stay here in the castle,” he told the sun goddess. “Shouldn’t we send them home to help rebuild their town?”

“He does have a point, sister,” Luna said. “I think they would be more useful if they were helping rebuild Ponyville.”

Celestia nodded in agreement. “Was there anything else you wanted?” she asked Matthew.

“I will be present for negotiating the terms of Forte’s surrender.”

“That is highly unorthodox,” Celestia pointed out.

“I am the sole reason he surrendered,” Matthew countered. “If it weren’t for me you two would be at his mercy. You both lack the ability to fight a war, and I seriously doubt either of you know how to end one.”

Celestia ignored the multiple insults and kept a neutral expression. “Very well, you can be present for his surrender, but we will decide on the terms of Forte’s surrender.”

“Fair enough." The gray and black pony left the room without another word, a dark grin on his face. If everything went according to plan, Forte would never make it back to Prance.

Author's Note:

Things are going to get very interesting in the next chapter! I'll try and get it done as quickly as I can.