• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 5,693 Views, 122 Comments

Triage - Vargras



The daily life of a simple nurse.

  • ...
17
 122
 5,693

R&R

Of all the days in which something could go wrong, it had to be this one - Redheart’s lunch was finally left intact, and she was still pulled back to work in the middle of her lunch break. As she pushed her way out of the break room, ponies scurried to and fro, all of them carrying out their tasks in the fastest way possible. It was rare indeed for the hospital to ever be this busy, and the white mare quickly ran off to try and get some answers.

She soon found just the pony she was looking for. Nurse Coldheart, who was once again placed as charge nurse for the shift, was in the midst of barking out orders to several other employees, and she quickly turned to address Redheart. “Ah, there you are! Glad you got the message.”

“Nurse Coldheart, what’s going on? Why’s everypony in such a hurry?” Another nurse soon ran by, bumping into Redheart and causing her to let out an irritated sigh - now wasn’t the time for that, though, and she knew it.

Coldheart slowly shook her head and turned to her clipboard. “Bad accident at the townhall. Part of the building collapsed, caught some ponies in it.”

“The townhall again? I thought we paid to have that stupid place fixed!”

“So did I.” The charge nurse frowned and flipped through several pages. “Some pretty severe injuries, got a few patients in critical condition. Start checking on patients, I need to see when these organs are supposed to show up.”

Redheart blinked in shock and quickly leaned towards Coldheart. “Organs? We honestly need organ transplants? It’s that bad?”

“Yep. And so far, I don’t like the numbers I’m seeing.” The yellow nurse sighed and shook her head. “Look, get to work, and I’ll worry about the organs, alright? That’s an order, Redheart.”

With great reluctance, Redheart left Coldheart’s company and began to wander the halls of the hospital. Nurses and aides ran from room to room, attending to the influx of patients, and the white mare found herself staring at a list of the patients from the accident. The collapse of the townhall had caused a surprisingly small amount of injuries, and for the time being, no deaths. As she pulled herself away from the list, she let out a faint sigh of relief - throughout her career, she had yet to have a patient die on her, and though she knew it was inevitable, she still didn’t want it to ever happen. Injuries were something a pony could recover from, and a death... was not.

Before she could think on the matter any further, Nurse Coldheart quickly ran up to her side. “Redheart, follow me. We’ve got a situation.”

“Situation? Coldheart, that doesn’t sound good.” Nurse Redheart quickly began to run as well in an effort to keep up with the yellow mare, and Coldheart was already flipping through her clipboard, even as she traveled through the hospital.

“It’s not. We’ve got two patients, both in critical conditions, and both going through liver failure as a result of their injuries. They both need transplants immediately.”

“And... the organs?”

Coldheart stopped walking and let out a sigh before lowering her head. “Could only get one.”

“...what?”

“I said I could only get one organ. They both need an organ transplant immediately, and without it, they’re both going to die.”

“But...” Redheart looked around the hospital, as if she were looking for an answer of some sort. “There’s... there’s only one organ. That means that-”

“One of them is going to die. I know.”

“You can’t just sentence a pony to death, simply because there isn’t another organ!”

“Redheart, look at me.” Coldheart’s own expression had hardened, and she spoke to the white mare in a stern voice. “We do nothing, two ponies are going to die. We do something, only one does. I don’t like it either, but... when you practice medicine, sometimes you have to make hard choices. I need you to help me with that very same thing, Redheart.”

With every passing moment, Redheart seemed increasingly more distraught. “I... why me, Coldheart?”

“Because you’ve got a good head on your shoulders. I know this isn’t an easy thing to ask, but... I need your input. I need to know who gets the organ.”

Nurse Redheart simply stared at the clipboard in front of Coldheart, and though it was just a few seconds, it seemed like an eternity. As a drop of sweat trickled down her forehead, she swallowed and nodded. “A-alright. Tell me about the patients.”

“Right. First patient is a pegasus mare, early 20’s. Currently undergoing liver failure, other severe injuries as well.” Coldheart let out a faint sigh and turned the page before continuing. “Second patient is an earth pony stallion, late 50’s. Also undergoing liver failure, but the other injuries are much less mild.”

“I...” Redheart swallowed once more and continued to stare at the clipboard, her thoughts racing. “I don’t know.”

“Redheart, I need an answer. We can’t hesitate, or we’re going to lose both of them.”

The white mare’s pulse began to quicken, and another bead of sweat dripped down her forehead. Slowly but surely, she was beginning to panic, and she found herself constantly glancing around the hall of the hospital. “I don’t know!”

“Redheart, I need you to stay calm, and I need an answer.”

It became increasingly more difficult for Redheart to keep her balance, and as her own breathing rapidly increased, she furiously shook her head, her eyes tightly closed. “I don’t know!”

“Redheart? C’mon, settle down!”

She began to sweat profusely, and she took a shaky step forwards before collapsing to the ground, letting out a choked gasp as she struggled for air.

“Redheart? REDHEART!”

-----

Redheart awoke with a gasp, her body covered in a cold sweat. As she slowly caught her breath and looked around the room, the white mare let out a groan and placed a foreleg to her face, rubbing her eyes. “...not again.”

It was still the middle of the night, and though she had just had a nightmare, she felt a bit relieved that she was still within the safety of her home. She wouldn’t mind them so much if they weren’t so vivid, and simply thinking of what had happened in the nightmare caused her to grimace as she felt her chest tighten slightly. Redheart sighed and stared off into the darkness, and as she did, there was another groan beside her.

“...you okay, hun?”

She glanced down towards the red stallion, a faint smile upon her face. “I’m... fine, Mac. Just having some trouble sleeping, is all.”

Macintosh sat up in bed slightly, and she was fairly certain that he had narrowed her eyes at her - it was rather hard to tell when he was still half-asleep. “Don’t even try lyin’ to me, Redheart. You don’t wake up covered in sweat, just ‘cause ya weren’t sleepin’ well.”

Redheart huffed and rubbed a hoof against her forehead. It had always been incredibly difficult to slip a lie past Big Macintosh, something they were both well aware of, and she certainly wouldn't be able to do it now. "Mac, it was just a bad dream. That's it."

The stallion raised an eyebrow at her, a faint frown upon his face. "...Redheart."

"Alright, fine." The earth pony sighed and shut her eyes before falling back onto her pillow. "It's been a recurring one, but... I can handle it."

"Redheart, hun." Macintosh reached out to the white mare, wrapping his forelegs around her and pulling her into his embrace. "If it's botherin' you, you know you can tell me."

"I know, I know... but I'll be fine, Mac."

"Promise?"

"Promise." She rolled over to face him, a faint smile upon her face as she leaned up to give him a kiss. "I... envy you a little bit sometimes, you know."

Macintosh snickered in return and looked down at her. "Really now?"

"Yeah. I mean, working in the hospital is my dream job - I'm helping others, after all - but it's just so... stressful. It's not easy. Meanwhile, you get to work in the orchards. Just you and the trees, nopony really depending on you. It sounds kinda peaceful."

"Wanna give it a try yerself?"

Redheart blinked and peered up at him. "...really?"

"Sure. You come with me and work the orchards for the day, see how ya like it after that."

"Just like that? No catches, no strings attached?"

"Only catch is that ya go back to sleep. You need some rest, hun."

The mare smiled and gave his chest a poke with one of her hooves. "Hope you don't plan on staying up, mister."

"Nnnope." Macintosh smiled back in return and leaned down to give her forehead a gentle kiss. "G'night, Redheart."

Redheart soon closed her eyes and snuggled up against the stallion, burying her face in his coat.

"Good night, Mac."

-----

When she next awoke, it was daybreak, and the empty spot beside her made it quite obvious that Macintosh was already up and about. The clatter of pots and pans from the kitchen told her just where the stallion had run off to, and Redheart smiled to herself as she rubbed at her eyes. Cooking seemed to run in the Apple family, and it was something Macintosh was quite good at. At the very least, he was better than she had ever been, and it had since become the norm for him to make breakfast after staying the night.

It would still be several more minutes before he would call for her, and with a grin upon her face, the white mare rolled over into the spot vacated by Big Macintosh and buried her face in his pillow. Even now, she could still pick up his scent on it, and Redheart took in a deep breath before letting out a content little sigh - it was an earthy scent, with a faint hint of both apples and sweat, and she had always managed to find comfort in it.

"Redheart? You up?"

She pulled herself away from the pillow and rolled out of bed, giving her legs and back a good stretch upon making contact with the floor. Despite having a nightmare, she had actually managed to sleep quite well, and she was almost convinced it was because of Macintosh's presence. Still, she couldn't exactly ask him to stay the night twice in a row, so she would simply have to do without him the next night. As she walked into the kitchen, Redheart let out a quiet yawn and smiled as she spotted Macintosh working by the stove. The mare slowly walked over towards him, leaning up to give the stallion a peck on the cheek. "Good morning, love."

Macintosh said nothing in return, but simply looked down towards her and smiled, and he finished up breakfast not long after. It was a simple meal, something they were both certainly used to - oatmeal and toast, with some apple jam Macintosh had given to Redheart as a gift not long ago. In between bites, the white mare casually flipped through the pages of the newspaper, humming to herself as she took another bite.

"So, ya ready for some work?"

"We're really gonna do it, then?" Redheart raised an eyebrow at Macintosh as she reached for her glass of juice, and she took a quick drink before setting it down. "I mean, I know it was the middle of the night, so... didn't know if you meant it, or if you were just saying it to try and get me to go back to sleep."

"Nah, I meant it. AJ's probably already workin' the fields. She knew I'd be a lil' bit late, so it ain't too big of a deal if we take our time with breakfast an' all."

"No sense in keeping your sister waiting, Mac." The mare scarfed down the last of her toast and took another drink before hastily carrying her dishes to the kitchen sink. She could always wash them after she got back home, and she found it rather funny just how excited she was over the idea of working the orchards with Macintosh.

In contrast to how fast she had been doing everything, the stallion had instead taken a slower pace. After standing up and taking his own share of dishes over to the sink, Macintosh slowly walked past Redheart, leaned down to give her a quick peck on the cheek, then opened the door for her. "C'mon now. If yer in such a hurry, then let's get to it."

With a wide grin upon her face, Redheart hurried out the door, and Macintosh soon followed as well. She couldn't recall the last time she had ever been this excited over work, but... she was. As the two of them made their way towards Sweet Apple Acres, there was only one thing on her mind.

It's just applebucking. How hard could it be?

-----

On a morning such as this, Sweet Apple Acres was the very picture of tranquility. Celestia's sun had just barely begun its flight across Equestria's sky, and Applejack had already begun her chores for the day. She knew Macintosh would be late, of course - her brother told her about how Redheart had gone through a rough day at work, and how he planned on spending the night with her to make sure she was alright. Of course, he never said just what it was that they did when he stayed the night at Redheart's house, but that was hardly her concern. They were both adults and were free to do what they felt was appropriate with their relationship, after all. Not only that, but they did make for an awfully cute couple...

With a screwdriver clenched in her teeth, Applejack tightened yet another screw on the plow, spitting the tool out and rubbing at her forehead as she looked off towards the horizon. Off in the distance, she could distinctly make out two shapes - a red one, and... a white one? She squinted once more, the shapes becoming a bit more clear as they drew closer. Sure enough, it was Macintosh and Redheart. Applejack simply couldn't figure out why Redheart was here as well. There was the possibility that, maybe, Macintosh had brought Redheart along in order to give her an examination. She had been working awfully hard as of late, so an examination wouldn't hurt, and yet... The orange mare took another look, then shook her head. Redheart was out of uniform. She clearly wasn't here on business.

As the pair finally arrived, Applejack sat up and walked towards the two of them, giving them both a simple nod. "Mornin', you two."

"Mornin', sis." Macintosh took a few steps forwards, then peered down at the plow. "Coulda sworn I already tightened those."

"Well if ya did, Big Mac, then ya did a crummy job. I had to do it again." The orange mare turned towards Redheart, a faint grin upon her face. "Wasn't expectin' to see you here. Decided to just walk with Macintosh?"

Redheart smiled in return, and slowly shook her head. "Oh, no. I'm here to do a bit of work."

"...ya mean medical stuff, right?"

"Erm... well, no."

Applejack sighed and quickly turned to look over her shoulder. "Macintosh, what did ya do this time?"

The stallion looked back up and towards his younger sibling, and chuckled softly. "Well... Redheart was talkin' about how easy she thought it would be to work here, so I thought I'd give her a shot at it."

"Ya know what that means, right?"

"Eeyup."

"And ya think she can handle it?"

"If I didn't think she could, AJ, I wouldn't have offered." Macintosh stood up and nodded once. "She'll be fine, sis. Besides, you had all yer friends help us out with the Flim Flam Brothers, 'member?"

"Yeah, yeah... I remember." Applejack sighed and briefly glanced towards Redheart. "I'm trustin' ya with this, Mac... she's your responsibility, not mine."

"Suit yerself, AJ. C'mon, Redheart. Let's get to work."

Macintosh walked away from the plow and towards a distant tree, and Redheart soon began to follow him, keeping pace with the stallion. She had walked through the orchards before, but now felt... different. Perhaps it was her own relationship with Macintosh, or maybe it was the fact that she would actually be working these fields in just a few short minutes, just as members of the Apple family had done in the past. "You think she's mad, Mac?"

"Nah, she'll be fine." The red stallion had already picked out the first tree for Redheart to try. The tree was a bit on the short side, but still managed to bear fruit, and it had been a bit of an Apple family tradition to have the foals of the family try their first applebuck on it. Macintosh stepped up to it and placed a hoof upon the bark, smiling to himself. "Alrighty, Redheart. Here we are. I want ya to give this one a try."

She had bucked a tree before, of course - she still remembered what had happened just yesterday, when she had taken her anger out on a tree. Unlike Macintosh and Applejack, however, this wasn't a job for her. They both had a refined touch, and as silly as it might have sounded in her head, they did indeed have a practiced way of going about kicking a tree. Redheart approached the tree, looked up at it, and brushed a bit of her mane away from her face. It was a bit intimidating, especially with her own boyfriend watching her, but she knew she could do this. The white mare firmly planted her front hooves, turned in place, and gave the tree a sharp kick, causing most every apple to fall down from the branches. With a smile upon her face, Redheart hopped backwards, and beamed up at Macintosh. "I... I did it! With one kick! I really do have it in me!"

Applejack just happened to be walking past at that very moment, the plow being towed behind her, and the orange mare turned towards the pair and grinned. "Pretty sure Mac is puttin' somethin' in ya."

That drew a stern look from Macintosh, and the stallion huffed as he turned towards his sister. "AJ!"

"Just a joke, Macintosh."

Redheart stepped towards the stallion and leaned up to give him a quick nuzzle. "Oh, don't worry about it. Like she said, it's just a joke. Besides, I think she might be a little bit jealous."

"Jealous? I ain't jealous of nopony! Me an' Twi have been together for over a month now, and we're both as happy as can be!" With a huff, Applejack began to walk away from Macintosh and Redheart once more, dragging the plow along as she headed for the barn.

Redheart, on the other hand, had a faint frown upon her face. She... had actually managed to forget that Applejack and Twilight were even dating. She had seen them around town before, been told about it by Macintosh, and they had even started to date around the same time that she and Macintosh had started - and she still managed to forget. "...I didn't mean to insult her or anything. She's... not angry at me, right?"

"Takes an awful lot to make Applejack angry. It's probably stingin' a bit for her right now, but she'll get over it. Ready to try some more?" Macintosh looked expectantly towards Redheart, and upon seeing her smile at him, he returned one of his own. "That's a 'Yes', if I ever saw one. C'mon, hun. We're gonna be awfully busy."

As Redheart soon found out for herself, what Macintosh had said hadn't been a joke at all. They immediately set to work, clearing row after row of the orchards and collecting the literal fruits of their labors, and as they did so, she quickly began to realize that maybe she was in over her head. She had always thought of work at Sweet Apple Acres as being relaxing and peaceful - she never knew just how back-breaking the work could truly be. They had only been at it for an hour or two, and Redheart already found herself sweating, and unlike her, Macintosh didn't seem tired at all. In fact, it looked as if he was only now hitting his stride.

Her first few trees only took a single kick, though that soon became two, and then three, and then four. When lunchtime finally rolled around, she found herself silently cheering. She was so very ready for a break, and Redheart let out a quiet groan as she took a seat, her body aching and burning from all the strain she had put it through. She was managing to work muscles she didn't even know existed, and part of her was beginning to dread her return to Ponyville Medical the next day - she was going to be very sore the next day, and the prospect of working a shift in that condition did not seem appealing at all.

Not long after they began their break, Applejack appeared with a plate full of sandwiches, and all three ponies sat beneath the same tree and talked over lunch. Redheart made sure to apologize for what she had said earlier, and the orange mare did the same in turn. Their talks largely consisted of their own relationships, and both mares spent the time getting the other caught up on things - Applejack spoke of how she and Twilight had been doing and what they had been up to, and Redheart did the same in return, telling the earth pony how wonderful and polite her brother was. It hardly seemed like much of a surprise to Applejack, and she gave a few grins towards her elder brother, who simply sat in silence through it all.

Lunch eventually came to an end, however, and with it meant a new wave of chores that needed to be completed. When she wasn't applebucking, Redheart found herself running to and fro, fetching one thing or doing another chore of some sort. She crushed grapes, pulled plows, fed pigs and hens, and it was then that she realized something - Sweet Apple Acres and Ponyville Medical weren't so different after all. Both were hectic jobs, which required a frenzied pace at times, and both required a practiced touch. They were both difficult, but necessary jobs, ones that were performed with pride day after day, week after week, and Redheart realized something else. When Macintosh asked how her day had been, or when he had been there to cheer her up after a stressful week of work, he wasn't doing so simply because she was his girlfriend. He did it because he could sympathize, because he had been through much the same as she had, and it made her appreciate him and what he did even more.

The hours ticked by, and with it came the eventual end of the work day. Redheart had been utterly exhausted by the days events, and she now found herself draped over Macintosh's back, wincing with every step he took as he carried her back to her home. "Macintosh?"

"Hm?"

"I hurt everywhere."

"I know, hun."

"You did this on purpose, didn't you?"

He glanced over his shoulder at her, a faint grin upon his face. "Dunno what yer talkin' about."

"...Mac."

"You know I can't say 'No' to ya when you start actin' like that." Macintosh chuckled quietly and turned back towards the road in front of him. "Yeah, I did it on purpose. I figured you needed a bit of tough love, just to show ya that what you do ain't too bad. You're good at it, and you love doin' it. Besides, me and you? We aren't so different."

"No... I suppose we aren't." Redheart smirked and gave his stomach a gentle poke with one of her hooves, causing him to look over his shoulder once more. "I wouldn't mind a little more tough love, you know. Just... need to get cleaned up first. I've got grape juice all over me."

The red stallion let out a loud guffaw in return, slowly shaking his head. "Not tonight, hun. Awful easy to tell how tired you are, and besides - you got work in the mornin'."

"I know, I know. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask."

It wasn't much longer until they reached Redheart's home, and Macintosh was quick to carry her inside and get her cleaned up. The bath was more painful than she had anticipated, and she found herself wincing and hissing every time he scrubbed at the grape stains and dirt on her coat. If she was this sore now, then she would certainly be feeling this in the morning, and it simply made her dread that inevitable moment even more. With the last of the stains removed, Macintosh pulled Redheart from the tub as gently as he could, then dried her off and carried her to bed. He had even gone so far as to tuck her into bed, something she found a bit silly but sweet nonetheless. As he pulled the sheet over her, the stallion looked down at her with a smile. "Need anything else before I go?"

Redheart knew what she wanted, of course, and she looked back at him with a smile of her own. "How about a kiss goodnight?"

"I think I oughta be able to do that." He leaned down and gave her a quick kiss, once which she was all too eager to return, and he soon pulled back up, making his way over towards her bedroom door and shutting off the lights. "G'night, hun. I'll see ya after you got off work tomorrow, okay?"

"Alright, Mac. Love you." As Redheart rolled over onto her side and curled up beneath her sheets, Macintosh gave her one last smile and slowly shut the door behind himself, giving her three little words before she quickly drifted off to sleep.

"Love you too."

Comments ( 44 )

WELL, THAT ONLY TOOK FOREVER. Chapter 3 is finally out. Enjoy, folks.

Currently wondering if the nightmare is actually a memory.

Nice update.

And that's the story of how Nurse Redheart found her love for apple farming. She gave Coldheart her two weeks notice the next day, and currently works daily at the apple farm with Big Mac by her side.

Aww. Very sweet! I like the relationship you've built here, and I look forward to seeing how Redheart's life goes from here.

"he's putting something in you" *snerk!* :eeyup:

I like this cute little slice of life! Thanks very much for writing!

Vargras: Time for your injection of fuzzy wuv

dh: ys plz

568977

Vargras: Time for your injection of fuzzy wuv

dh: ys plz

vagras pls

The level of D'aww at the end there was of epic proportions :heart:

568909

Okay. :yay: yay

Adorable chapter, Varg

The return of Redmac! Big Macinheart? I don't know, I don't care, 'cause it's so good! :eeyup:

Wait... Applejack and Twilight? Ok no a paring I would expect but what the hell, I here the RedMac... MacHeart... anyway. Great chapter, worth the wait. The dream, yeah I can picture anyone in the medical profession having something that and that choice would be very hard to make.

569105

Wait... Applejack and Twilight?

It's a tie-in of sorts to another of my fics, 'Unintended', in much the same way that Redheart's memories of her first date with Macintosh are from that very same fic.

Why? I like tie-ins. They're fun, and my long-time readers who have read my other works can go "Oh hey, I know about that!"

This was an incredibly sweet chapter. I almost dread what awaits Nurse Redheart tomorrow.

568877

That was my first thought. That kind of choice stays with you forever...

But another wonderful chapter. AND IT FUCKING TOO YOU LONG ENOUGH VARGRAS

JESUS ON A JACKHAMMER

Suddenly... Apple Sparkle! Keep up the good work.

I need 100cc's of adorableness stat!

I don't think I can go that long again without it. You've got me addicted.

The epitome of slice of life right here. Nice stuff too! All warm and fuzzy and the like.

Livers can regrow from about ten percent of their normal mass. She could slice that puppy in half and stick a chunk in each patient.
Oh well, dream logic.

In any case, another delightful piece of adorable background ponies being adorable. Well done. :twilightsmile:

570712
Actually, you can have up to 70% of your liver destroyed and you wouldn't notice a difference at all. Anything beyond that, and you essentially start to go into liver failure.

Excellent story so far and I love the charming dialogue! I didn't care for the TwiJack throw-in (unless it's a reference I am not getting) but it didn't taint the main story so Im happy. Keep up the good work.

570981
It basically is. There won't be another mention of it, but I felt like throwing a little something in to tie this fic and 'Unintended' (my Twijack fic) together. Redheart x Macintosh is a side couple in 'Unintended', and with them being the main couple in 'Triage', I thought I'd at least give a brief mention of Twilight and Applejack to show that both fics occur in the same universe.

570862

As a RN, I'll back this up, though the nature of the damage can affect those %s. AST/ALT levels in the bloodwork should be elevated before it hits the critical threshold but that's not always the case. And it's not like bloodwork's a routine test we do on anyone who isn't c/o symptoms. One of my most memorable liver failure patients was a 21 yr old who'd managed to give himself alcohol-induced hepatitis. He kept assuming (for 2+ years, apparently) that the reason he felt like crap was a continuous bad case of hangovers from binge-drinking every night.

Anyways, that sounded too much like work. A couple questions to Vargras if you've got some time to answer in between your finals:
1) I can see a small town's hospital only having one doc, but they'd usually try to back the doc up w/ a few APNs or PAs. Otherwise the doc's going to be called throughout the night, unless Equestria's got a very wide scope of practice for their RNs (which is what I'm assuming Redheart is modeled on, based on her workload). Were there any reasons for making Ponyville's hospital only have one doc, other than the canon featuring only one doc and adding more stress to Redheart's job?
2) Followup to #1, Any intent to have Redheart move up to APN rank? If the hospital's still her dream job, but she doesn't like her current workload, that'd be the next step for most RNs. On the other hand, it could mean having to leave Ponyville (and Big Mac) for additional years of coursework.

571254

Anyways, that sounded too much like work. A couple questions to Vargras if you've got some time to answer in between your finals:
1) I can see a small town's hospital only having one doc, but they'd usually try to back the doc up w/ a few APNs or PAs. Otherwise the doc's going to be called throughout the night, unless Equestria's got a very wide scope of practice for their RNs (which is what I'm assuming Redheart is modeled on, based on her workload). Were there any reasons for making Ponyville's hospital only have one doc, other than the canon featuring only one doc and adding more stress to Redheart's job?
2) Followup to #1, Any intent to have Redheart move up to APN rank? If the hospital's still her dream job, but she doesn't like her current workload, that'd be the next step for most RNs. On the other hand, it could mean having to leave Ponyville (and Big Mac) for additional years of coursework.

1) I've only listed one doctor because, humorously enough, we've only ever seen one within the show. Every other medical pony we've seen has been a nurse, a veterinarian, or a pediatrician. Only one 'true' doctor has ever been shown, and I mentioned that to sorta highlight the absurdity of it. Redheart is indeed modeled after an RN, though.
2) Still thinking about that, really.

All of my D'AWWWW.

NTL

I was really relieved when the opening scene turned out to be a nightmare. Maybe it's just me, but it felt like such a medical drama cliché that I almost considered to stop reading for now. Not that it was badly written or anything, just not my cup of tea. The rest of this chapter was great, though!

Interesting relationship Redheart and Big Mac have. It has a more long term feel to it than I thought it would have at this point of time. All the love and appreciation is there, but they kind of lack the desire for each other I'd expect from a fresh couple. Well, at least Big Mac does, which fit his character, I guess. But Redheart isn't pushing it much herself, too.

Looking forward to more (and the next "Unintended" chapter)
NTL

Whoa, thought that nightmare sequence was very much real. Felt actiony too. Made me want to go out and get one of those Trauma Center games for the Wii or DS :coolphoto:

As for the rest, how heartwarming. :pinkiesmile:

Congratz on getting on EqD! :D

YAY! So much cute and love and dawwwww!!! This is definitely my favorite "break from the action" fics.

"She was managing to work muscles she didn't even know existed..." Whoops, looks like she's forgotten her med school anatomy classes!

I very much like this one, not a normal shipping pair and yet you manage to make it engaging and fun.

Looking forward to reading more. :twilightsmile:

"I wouldn't mind a little more tough love, you know."
Best line of the chapter right there. Awesome work as usual. =3

591765 Instead of saying exectly what you just said in different words, I'll just say that I agree with everything you said. :twilightsmile:

Great story, Vargras. Looking forward to more!

Aww, that was cute. Also, is the TwiJack going to have any later significance? I can't help but feel like it's gonna be important later...

685121

Also, is the TwiJack going to have any later significance? I can't help but feel like it's gonna be important later...

Nope. Redheart x Macintosh is a side pairing in my Twijack fic, and I figured I'd sorta reverse it within this one, just to tie the two together. It's not important.

Another fantastic chapter, and it only took me five weeks to read it. Maybe it'll only be five weeks before the next chapter come out!
686699 About what chapter in 'Unintended' is this story referencing? Like, before AJ told Granny, right?

Sweeetest ending ever!

992294

Looking forward to future chapters. Though, I'm curious; is this taking place after AJ's argument/fight with Granny Smith about her and Twilight, or before? I'm assuming it's after, considering they weren't dating too long before that event took place.

After.

996310

Hey.

Hey.

UPDATE THIS.

You know you should.

SON OF A-

:scootangel: Watching!

Vargras... it needs some update love.

1345437

Vargras... it needs some update love.

On hiatus due to a lack of interest in writing it.

Man, that was adorable!

Login or register to comment