• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 3,769 Views, 85 Comments

Fate/Amicitia - Sanguine



A magical ritual has begun in Equestria, and it's not in any of Twilight's books. It's no spell a pony ever cast. It's dangerous, destructive, and there's no getting out of it. It's name is the Holy Grail War.

  • ...
4
 85
 3,769

Vs Berserker

The smug tone of the Great and Powerful Trixie’s voice was making Twilight want to kick something, but she forced herself to remain still. The Servant that Trixie had identified as Berserker had Saber completely trapped, and one wrong move might cause the knight to snap his captive’s arm, or worse.

Focusing her gaze, Twilight tried to get a reading on the knight’s abilities. The spell functioned just like during practice, but her imagined Encyclopedia of Servants didn’t give her much information. She saw that Berserker’s basic statistics were very close to Saber’s, but she took note that his Strength was ranked at A compared to Saber’s B+, which explained how he was able to hold his captive so easily.

She also saw only one of his skills, the class skill Mad Enhancement, rank C+. The mental book said it was an ability which exchanged mental stability for physical power, enhancing almost all of Berserker’s abilities but degrading his ability to think and speak to almost nothing. A particularly dark sort of magic.

“Good, Twilight Sparkle.” Trixie gestured grandly with each word, her ego inflating to ever greater proportions. “Keep pondering futile escape plans until you’re ready to admit you’ve been beaten. Trixie doesn’t want you whining about how you managed to come up with a way out of her brilliant trap long after she’s won the Grail War. Fair is fair, so Trixie will give you as much time as you need to accept your defeat.”

Twilight turned to face her attacker. She thought of their two previous encounters before the Grail War. The trouble that this traveling magician had made every time she’d come to Ponyville was certainly memorable. She’d tormented Twilight’s friends and neighbors as part of her magic act, just to make herself feel important and powerful. She’d told lies that almost led to a monster wrecking the town. She’d used powerful spells to banish Twilight to the Everfree Forest for doing nothing more than embarrassing her.

But most of all, Twilight remembered how Trixie had apologized for it all. How she’d said she’d finally understood what she’d done wrong. How she’d asked if she and Twilight could be friends.

Twilight’s facial muscles were tight and her face felt hot. She wasn’t sure what kind of expression she was wearing, but judging by Trixie’s reaction to it, it wasn’t a friendly face.

Ever the professional, Trixie continued the show despite a hostile audience. “There’s no reason to be so upset. While it’s true the Great and Powerful Trixie has completely outsmarted you, it’s to be expected. Only a true genius could have devised the plan to use Berserker’s ‘explosive,’ talents to launch an attack from well outside the range of your senses, and with a speed you couldn’t hope to defend against. And what hope would even the apprentice of Celestia have against a true genius?”

Berserker made a sound after she spoke, a sort of throaty gurgle from deep within his black armor. Twilight barely noticed, instead fixating on the magician. “I should have known you’d be one of the Masters, Trixie. I actually thought you’d learned something after the last time we met. What an idiot I was.”

Trixie raised an eyebrow at that comment, as if she were legitimately confused. “What are you talking about?”

“I thought you’d changed, mended your ways even if you still had that huge ego. But no, it was all a ruse wasn’t it?”

Trixie was back on four hooves, and her expression was more than a little troubled by Twilight’s words. “A ruse? Twilight, is something wrong? Trixie knows that she’s bested you on the battlefield, but you’re taking it much harder than she thought you would.”

She sounded so earnest. The fact that she could even say something like that was almost beyond Twilight’s ability to comprehend. But why should she be surprised that Trixie could play dumb with such a straight face? Compared to finding bloodlust and betrayal in the hearts of other ponies, what was something as simple as dishonesty?

But dishonesty wasn’t even the worst of it if this particular Servant was the one Trixie had summoned. “And now I’m not even enough for you. How dare you attack Fluttershy? Did it eat away at you that badly that she managed to fool you the last time you came to Ponyville? That it was the quiet, scared little pegasus that brought me back from my banishment to defeat you? I guess a Servant would be a useful tool for carrying out another pretty revenge scheme!”

Trixie’s expression was shocked for a brief moment, and then flushed with outrage of her own. “Attack Fluttershy? I’d never do anything like that! What’s wrong with you?”

Twilight stomped a hoof. “You can’t play dumb about this, I was there! I saw what Berserker’s exploding stones did to her home! The trees, the grass, the animal houses, it was all in ruins and HE’S the one that did it! Don’t you dare deny it!”

“I…” The showmare deflated a bit, but drifted back into character when she spoke again. “Yes, The Humble and Apologetic Trixie admits that Berserker was the one that caused that damage. Trixie didn’t intend for your friend’s home to become a battlefield, she didn’t even know who lived there. But she had no choice! A female servant with a silver sword attacked Trixie’s Berserker without provocation only a few minutes after she’d summoned him. Surely if you saw the battle you saw her as well? Fluttershy’s home was too close and got caught up in things by chance.”

Berserker made another gurgling noise, louder than the previous one. Twilight ignored it. “Right, right. I’m sure that you’re completely innocent. Who do you think you’re trying to fool? I know what I saw! And I know what Fluttershy told me, that even when she was trying to rescue her animals the rocks were falling all around her like a meteor shower. They never stopped for a second, even when she was right in the line of fire. Tell me, were you only trying to traumatize her for life as payback for foiling your last plan, or did you intend to kill her and botch the job?”

“Ki-” Trixie’s face suddenly flushed with anger. “What in the world has gotten into you Twilight Sparkle? You’re talking crazy, and insulting to boot! You really think I would do something like that? Even at my worst, I… I couldn’t ever… I’ll have you know that I made sure that Berserker wouldn’t-”

“SHUT UP! YOU STUPID NAG!” Both ponies started at the hard-edged shout. The words were followed by hideous, demented laughter. “Ah, what a pity, my Master is a fool. What a fate for the greatest knight of his age, to be a fool following a fool.”

Twilight turned her gaze back to the two Servants, and realized that the one speaking was Berserker. He kept talking, his tone shifting from jovial back to harsh. “This is the rightful fate of a man who chased love at the expense of duty, isn’t it? To suffer at the whim of a talking horse who knows nothing of the battlefield. She would tell her secrets and not even realize what she’s done. ‘Oh, dear enemy, shall I tell you the method of my attack so you’ll be prepared for it in the future? Shall I give clues to the location of my atelier? Shall I tell you of the FOOL THING, THE DAMN FOOL THING I DID TO MY BERSERKER?”

Another bout of giggles and his voice was happy again, “Yes, yes, this is my punishment. I betrayed my king and all my fellows, and so the Grail has betrayed me to Lady Trixie’s service. It’s only fair. God’s will! Divine justice! What a wonderful world this is, what a glory it is to be a knight.”

Berserker’s continued to ramble to himself under his breath, his helmet muffling whatever other words he was saying. Trixie appeared to be alternating between outrage at being called a stupid nag and abashed about how close she had come to revealing whatever she’d been about to say, but Twilight was simply puzzled. According to the description of Mad Enhancement from her analysis spell, Berserker should not have been capable of speech. She stared at the rambling Servant again, and could hardly believe what she saw: Mad Enhancement’s rank had fallen to D+, and Berserker’s strength had degraded to Rank B along with it.

“Saber! He’s become weaker! Throw him off!”

Saber smirked with pride at his master, and then wrenched his arm free from the black steel gauntlet that had pinned it behind his back. In one fluid motion he grasped the remaining arm to create a fulcrum point, pivoted on his hip and rolled his shoulder. His supernatural strength aided by perfect technique broke Berserker’s hold on his neck and slammed the armored warrior back-first onto the hard ground. Not done, Saber shifted his grip on the arm and began to spin, hefting the mass of metal as if it weighed nothing at all. Four, five, six mighty swings and finally he released Berserker, launching his enemy across the clearing in a lovely arc and delivering him to the hooves of Trixie.

Trixie began berating Berserker, and fortuitously Berserker quickly clambered to his feet and began berating her right back. Taking advantage of their dissension, Twilight rushed to Saber’s side and whispered, “What should we do?”

“Berserker is a dangerous Servant, Twilight. They are always unpredictable and volatile, this one perhaps more than others if his strength and sanity can vary like that. And then there is his ability. I’ve been considering it since the battle at the clearing, and I have a troubling theory. I believe he can make anything he touches into a Noble Phantasm. It’s the only explanation I can fathom for his ability to make a mundane stone or leaf into an explosive that harms Servants.”

“What do you mean? Your Noble Phantasm is your armor right? It’s powers are based on the deeds you did while you were alive. And I’m guessing it doesn’t explode if you throw it.”

Saber confirmed that Twilight was correct, but continued his explanation “There is a desperation attack Servants might use called Broken Phantasm. If you overload a Noble Phantasm with more magical energy than it can contain it becomes a one-shot weapon that has it incredible destructive power at the cost of the Phantasm being lost in the process. But it seems impossible that a Master could provide enough energy to a Servant for them to use that technique dozens of times in a row”

Twilight shot a glare at the still arguing pair. “I’ve met Trixie before, and as much as I hate to admit it she’s far above average for unicorns when it comes to magic. If anypony other than me could give a Servant enough energy for what you’re describing, it’s Trixie. It looks like your theory is sound, and that’s bad news for us. Your armor only protects against crafted weapons, right? All he has to do is pick up a stick and your best defense is useless.”

Saber nodded, agreeing with Twilight’s view of the situation. “He’s a difficult enemy, and we’re at a disadvantage this close to the forest if he can weaponize any loose debris. It might be prudent to try and negotiate. Berserker’s Master seemed distraught when you questioned her motives. If she truly isn’t interested in harming anyone other than Servants in this war, it’s possible she might be open to a cease fire, or even a truce.”

“No! She can’t be trusted! You don’t know what she’s like. She may have been pleading ignorance, but if we turn our backs she’ll pounce. And worse, Trixie already knows where I live. If there’s even a sliver of a chance she’s after Fluttershy for a past slight, we’ve got to take Berserker out of this war here and now.”

She might have imagined it, but Twilight thought for a moment she heard Saber let out an exasperated sigh. But when he spoke again, his voice was full of conviction. “So be it, Master. On your order, the Mad Warrior shall not leave this battlefield alive.”

By the time Twilight’s ears registered the scrape of Saber drawing his sword, he had already charged. As usual, Twilight couldn’t follow his incredible speed other than a brief flash of gold as the sun caught his sword’s edge. But even in the midst of a shouting match with his eyes turned away from danger, Berserker seemed to have no trouble dodging a tremendous overhead slash with a quick backstep.

It was an impressive bit of footwork, but it left the knight in reach of Saber’s free arm, which was a mistake. Pivoting, Saber wrapped his arm around Berserker’s armored waist and held him fast. Before his captive could react to being grabbed, he jumped. They wrestled briefly in midair, but Berserker was unable to squirm free before Saber slammed the knight squarely into the dirt, cushioning his own fall with his victim’s body.

Twilight deduced the purpose of the move as Saber rose with his sword at the ready, creating distance as Berserker struggled to shake off the impact. They’d ended up squarely in the center of the meadow. The ground was flat, hard and empty of any debris. There was nothing for Berserker to use against him and nowhere for him to escape. Close combat on an open field against an unarmed opponent, conditions any swordsman would envy.

“Berserker, you nitwit!” Trixie stamped a hoof in frustration. “I told you to pick something up to fight with! Now what are you going to do?”

“Master, fear not,” Berserker replied, his voice eerily normal. “This Servant is clearly a barbarian if he’s carrying a sword made of bronze. Being unarmed is a worthy handicap SO SHUT YOUR GOB FOR TWO SECONDS AND I’LL FIGHT HIM, YOU BOSSY FOOL!” Berserker recklessly charged, his steps unsteady, and lashed out with his armor-clad fist. The blow was obvious and lacked any finesse, and Saber sidestepped it easily. Berserker had overextended his follow-through, a costly mistake Saber would not leave unpunished. The bronze sword flashed toward the helpless arm, aiming to lop it off.

But when metal met metal, the armor didn’t give. Berserker bent his elbow and caught Saber’s sword, trapping it between forearm and bicep. Then he lashed out with his free fist.

This punch was much faster than the last and laser precise, clocking Saber directly in his jaw. A kick to gut as a follow-up sent the Servant of swords reeling back into a ready stance, looking a bit dazed. “HAHAHAHA, YOU IGNORANT HEATHEN. YOU THOUGHT TO TAKE MY ARM, TO MATCH BRONZE AGAINST CASTLE-FORGED STEEL? I’LL GUT YOU LIKE A SOW!”

The taunt was nonsense. In a battle between Servants trivialities such as the type of metal their equipment was made from were meaningless. Saber wondered if it was deliberate subterfuge or the ramblings of an addled mind, but didn’t have long to ponder the question as his opponent resumed his attack. Berserker continued to lash out, driving Saber back with a black storm of fists and feet and attempts to grapple. The difference between this onslaught of expert fisticuffs and that first wild right cross was night and day even to a layman. Berserker struck with purpose, every attack on target, no movement wasted. His jabs and knee kicks gently probed Saber’s defensive stance, and when he would commit to a larger attack he never left himself exposed like he did the first time. Every inch of his body was measured and tightly controlled by martial discipline that spoke of a lifetime on the battlefield.

Saber used his footwork and sword to good effect despite this tremendous advance. He kept his distance and made sure the tip of his blade was always in a place to threaten his target so it wouldn’t grow too bold. He parried the few punches that tried to sneak past his blade in an impressive shower of sparks, and otherwise ensured that any progress Berserker made was minimal and that laying a hand on him would prove impossible. Still, it was a frustrating exchange knowing that he was just as incapable of harming Berserker thanks to that protective suit.

It wasn’t as though the ancient warrior didn’t know how to fight an armored foe. You simply had to find a weak spot, be it exposed skin or a weakness in the metal. In the case of a full body casing like this, a joint or a gap between plates would be the thing to look for, allowing his blade to slip in like a serpent and find something vital so the man inside could die wondering how his precious protection had failed him. But before one could even try to find such a spot, one needed an opening to attack. And Berserker wasn’t providing one, keeping him squarely on defense. It was baffling. Berserker was a madman, how could he fight like a master?

Twilight, however, knew exactly why Berserker was fighting so well. As she observed the battle, another of Berserker’s skill was revealed to her analysis. The spell called it ‘Eternal Arms Mastership.’ A skill reserved for only the greatest warriors of an age, it protected the Servant from losing any proficiency in combat due to mental interference. Apparently even insanity was not exempt.

Step by step, Saber was driven back by Berserker’s exquisite offense. As he lost ground, Saber had been wondering what Berserker’s battle plan could be, since despite his skill it was virtually impossible for him to land a blow so long as Saber had the advantage of his sword. After all, it was ready to seek an unprotected spot if even the smallest chance presented itself. Now Saber realized just how far he’d been pushed away from the center of the meadow while he was concentrating on the fight. The veritable armory of the forest’s edge loomed at his back. Once they reached the trees, Berserker would need only seconds to get his hands on something and make it a bomb, and after that things would rapidly become bleak.

Saber took a chance. Relying on his reflexes, he allowed a heavier punch through his guard. At the last moment he moved, his neck muscles bending just so, and the black steel fist flew past its target. For a fraction of a second, Berserker was open.

The bronze sword swooped toward Berserker’s neck, and he had no choice but to block with his forearm unwilling to risk even the once-in-a-million chance that the sword might get through and take his head. Saber followed with a low cut toward the knee joint. Shaken by blocking the hard blow above, Berserker took a step back to dodge rather than risk the blade finding a soft spot. That was all the advantage Saber needed.

He stepped in and thrust for the heart, counting on the instincts of a battle-hardened opponent to react by reflex even knowing that the armor would protect him. He was rewarded, and Berserker fell back again, closing in his arms to form a wall between the sword tip and his torso. Saber continued to press, his blade probing for the vital places hiding behind the breast plate, and Berserker continued to retreat, acting on years of practice rather than the rational choice.

After a few more strike the knight finally countered, deflecting the sword to the side with one arm and delivering a monster hammer blow with the other. It could have broken his enemy’s collarbone, but Saber sidestepped and drove his shoulder into Berserker’s exposed chest. The tackle sent him stumbling backward, completely flat-footed.

The swordsman saw his moment as the knight flailed against gravity, his heavy armor making equilibrium difficult to recover. Taking his sword in a two-handed grip, he leapt high into the air. It was natural for Berserker’s eyes to follow his enemy, and time seemingly slowed as Saber turned the tip of his sword downward. Both servants knew that the match had been decided. Saber would put his full weight behind a downward thrust and force his sword into the one unarmored part of his opponent, the eyeslit of that helmet.

But as her Servant had been beaten back, Trixie had resumed her yelling “What are you doing? The Great and Powerful Trixie can’t believe this, stand your ground! You tin-plated twerp! You can’t lose to Twilight’s Servant! Arg, you’re pathetic! No wonder your special somepony dumped you!”

Instead of meat, bronze once again met steel. Saber’s was in disbelief, and Twilight couldn’t blame him. Berserker had clapped his hands together and caught the sword, holding it in place effortlessly even while Saber hung from the grip in mid-air. Twilight blinked as the mental book’s words blurred then came back into focus. Mad Enhancement’s rank had returned to its original rank, and so had Berserker’s stats.

The knight growled like a beast, and tossed the sword and its holder aside like a ragdoll. His attacker disposed of he could have struck with his enhanced strength, but instead he made a beeline dash toward the trees, much faster than he’d already been moving. Those insane giggles began boiling out of his armor once again as flaming destruction came closer with every step.
Saber only had moments to act. Twilight expected him to give chase, try to tackle Berserker to the ground and go for the eyes again. But instead he shoved his sword into the dirt.

“What are you doing?” Twilight shouted, on the verge of panic as she imagined another patch of wildness as a bombed-out ruin.

Saber stood and reached one arm back behind his head. “Aiming.”

A spear simple bronze-tipped wooden spear appeared in his hand, and before Twilight could speak again Saber had let it fly. It flew fast and true, its point never wavering as it sought Berserker’s back. It struck with authority, popping through the armor like a pin into its cushion and digging deep into flesh. The black knight fell to the ground.

“Your shell is tough Berserker, but I’ve broken tougher.” Saber had been hoping to keep his skill with javelin throwing hidden for a bit longer. Nobody expected Saber to be effective at range, so it was a good trump card. Not to mention that Hector’s ability to pierce armor with spears was so legendary that the mighty Ajax and his shield Rho Aius became legendary simply for NOT being pierced. It was a good way for his identity to be found out. But for the moment, Saber was simply glad it had worked.

Trixie was oddly quiet, the sight of her Servant’s fall too surreal. She didn’t want to believe that after all her talk she’d been beaten so soon. “Berserker? Are you-” She cut herself off and her eyes went wide as saucers. “Twilight! Stay back! In fact, back up even further!”

The warning in those words made Twilight’s anger at Trixie’s betrayal evaporate for just a moment. “What are you…?” And then heard the laughter.

She’d already heard Berserker cackle like a fiend several times, but this was different. It just kept building, louder and louder. His body began to twitch, the spear stuck in his back wobbling like a ship in a storm. Yes, that was what the laughter reminded Twilight of, a storm right on the horizon. The librarian in her scoffed for using such a cliché, but it was the only way to describe it. The laughter grew and grew in intensity, until finally it stopping be laughter and became an inhuman roar.

Twilight’s vision blurred again, and returned to focus with a startling image. Mad Enhancement – Rank: B+.

She didn’t even see him move, but Berserker was suddenly on his feet. And then he was gone again. He had to be charging, but this time there wasn’t even a blur. Saber took a stance, ready to block a blow Twilight couldn’t even perceive. She held her breath... until a deafening bang made her flinch, and the battlefield was instantly covered with thick smoke in a half-dozen different colors.

Twilight snapped her gaze over to Trixie. The unicorn’s hat was floating just off her head, exposing her faintly glowing horn. Ignoring the sting of her Command Seal, Twilight instead focused on the six colorful tubes floating around Trixie’s body. The smoke was still billowing out of their muzzles. “That idiot, he didn’t give me any warning. After that big stupid lecture about making sure nobody saw him using that. Luckily the Great and Powerful Trixie is a consummate professional with nerves of steel.”

Despite herself, Twilight was quite curious about what exactly those things were. Most likely they were some kind of variation on the magical fireworks she’d seen Trixie use in her magic show. If she weren’t an evil, vindictive potential murderer Twilight would love to discuss them with the other mare over some tea.

Before Twilight could ruminate too much on that thought Berserker bounded out of the smoke, landing at Trixie’s side. In the space of those few seconds his Mad Enhancement rank had fallen back to D+. “Master we must retreat immediately.”

“What? Never! The Great and Powerful Trixie won’t show her back to her greatest rival, it’d be a shame she could never live down.”

“WONDERFUL BECAUSE IF WE STAY HERE YOU CAN DIE, YOU EMPTY-HEADED… no arguments now.” Trixie made a startled noise as her Servant literally scooped her into his arms, cradling her gently against his body. Her face lit up in a small blush as the black knight quickly faded into the woods.

The smoke finally began to clear from the battlefield, and Saber stood tall, looking at the spot where their foes had disappeared. Twilight stared with him until she finally realized what had happened and quickly trotted over. “We can’t let them get away! He was obviously afraid of whatever happened in that smoke, we have to finish him now! Fluttershy might still-”

“Twilight, I’m afraid I can’t pursue him just now.”

“What? Why not?”

By way of response, Saber coughed up a mouthful of blood and fell to his knees. “Well, for one thing my sword arm is broken in three places. Also, I can’t feel my legs.”

***

INTERLUDE 8-1

Rider took a lengthy swig from a bottle of Caribbean rum. It burned pleasantly all the way down her throat, and she was glad she’d broken into her private stock. The knowledge of this world of Equestria she’d been granted was unclear as to whether the ponies brewed any sort of alcohol, and it was better to be safe than sorry (or sober) when one had a guest. Especially if that guest was doing everything in his power to remain unseen.

“Are you sure I can’t interest you in a drink? I feel terribly rude hogging it all to myself. You are the one who made my company the price for your information about Madam Rarity’s friend, but so far you haven’t said two words. If you’re feeling nervous, perhaps sharing a round will ease the tension.” She shook the bottle so the brown-gold nectar made a pleasant swishing sound, offering it to the empty air.

The voice that had been silent since Rarity left finally spoke. “I’m afraid not. I make it a point not to eat or drink what others prepare. Call it an occupation-related habit. I would think you might have some sympathy for that.”

The voice seemed to come from everywhere, stymieing any attempts to pinpoint its origin. A simple trick, but a useful one. Despite the rising sun now sitting high in the morning sky, Rider had yet to catch sight of the visitor. There were still a lot of shadows in Carousel Boutique thanks to closed curtains, and many other places to hide besides thanks to all the junk her Master used to prepare and present her dresses.

“Why should I?” She took another swig and then curled up on a plush couch that was a bit too small for her. “Even an Admiral is hardly worth poisoning. One sea dog is as interchangeable as any other.”

“True, but you’re no sea dog.”

“Is that so? Then what am I?”

The voice adopted an amused tone. “You, Rider, are something beyond a typical hero. From the moment we met two nights ago, I recognized the bearing of one who changed the destiny of nations. Even Saber is a pup compared to you.”

Rider couldn’t contain a smirk. “Ah, flattery! Now that’s a treasure. It sparkles and glitters and brings explosive joy, then disappears like a breeze. Tell me more.”

“I could compliment any number of superficial things. After all, you are quite beautiful.”

Rider drank again. “I love superficial things, so feel free.”

The voice made a hummed a bit, as if pondering, then said, “No, I have it. What else could I possibly compliment but your ambition?”

“My ambition? What makes you think I’m the ambitious type?”

A short laugh answered that question. “You’d have to a blind fool to not see your lust for coin. One can’t be as preoccupied with wealth as you and be devoid of ambition.”

Rider tipped her bottle in acknowledgement. “Very true. It seems I wear my heart on my sleeve. Shameful.”

“Of course, gold isn’t your true craving. That’s a means to an end. What you love foremost is adventure. Glory. It’s the only logical conclusion I can draw from observing you.”

“Is that so? I’m learning so much about myself today. And here I thought I was just another pirate out for a prize.” She took another gulp from her bottle. “Tell me, this little trick where you dictate to others what their true natures are, do you do it for everyone? Or am I a special case?”

“A special case. Many people say they would gladly trade a mundane life for a life of adventure. After all, adventure can give you wealth, power, and the adulation of the people. But all those things were already yours from birth, weren’t they? And you threw them away for the sea.”

“An interesting theory,” she said as she replaced the cork in her bottle. “But you’re not as insightful as you think you are. I come from a long line of farmers.”

“I forgive you for lying to me. After all, a lie is a small thing to preserve your dreams. You defied the will of God Himself for yours. Rather than farming, that I believe is the skill you learned from your father.”

It was an unexpected comment, and it melted Rider’s smile. Whoever this guest was, he spoke as if he knew her identity. And not the name she claimed as a Heroic Spirit. Her TRUE identity. And that was far beyond impossible.

She stood up, dropping her rum and putting a pistol in its place. “Just what are you after? Why did you send my Master away? What is the meaning behind this little farce?”

“I assure you Rider, I only wanted a bit of time to spend alone with you. I needed to confirm my initial impressions. And I did want to take the time for a chat. You will be an interesting opponent if you take me seriously, but I know how great men and women are. It’s natural for you to underestimate others. Now you have a firmer grasp on the situation. A morsel of information was a fair trade to ensure you’ll respect me properly moving forward.”

Rider said nothing, her eyes scanning the room. If only she could catch even the faintest glimpse of her guest, she would have a clue as to his identity. Any clue would do. But there was nothing. The advantage was his.

Finally, she replied, “Just be sure you have no regrets about putting me on guard. You’d have been better off under a false flag.”

“My only regret would be an easy victory. You didn’t even know we were playing. Now at least you have that. I suggest you take a turn soon.”

There was no further discussion. She didn’t know if he was gone or not, the entire time they’d spoken (and during their previous encounter for that matter) she’d never felt anything, as if he were a void. It was entirely possible he was still watching her.

The bottle of rum reappeared in Rider’s hand, and she cocked back her head and drained its contents. When it was empty, she let out a depressed sigh and flopped back onto the undersized chair, shutting her eyes. She mumbled “What a bother. All I wanted out of this Grail War was to bully my Master a bit. I need a nap.”

***

Author's Note:

This chapter took a bit longer than I hoped sadly, and after I promised to get back on the ball after my hiatus! But the fact is that action scene's aren't my forte, so it took a while for me to gel on how I wanted to play it. Hopefully you'll all like it, because we haven't had one for a while!

As you'll see in the next chapter, the first "arc," of this story is starting to come to a head. Hopefully it'll be satisfying for you all, because one the big event ideas that drove me to write this story is coming up!

Lastly, I'll be updating the blog with new information about Saber AND the stuff Twilight now knows about Berserker from observing the battle. His true identity will be revealed before too much longer, so place your bets if you have ideas.