• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 1,448 Views, 41 Comments

The Journey - RoboCom64 Zelos



After being diagnosed with a terminal disease Twilight is going off on the journey not to find cure but to find herself.

  • ...
16
 41
 1,448

Day 8: Shining among the ashes

Twilight lied in a small pool of her own blood. The wind was blew softly in the dark and cloudy ruins of the village. There was not a single pony in sight, nor had there been for the hour that she lied there helplessly

Right in front of her eyes was her failure. She saw the incinerated houses and the burnt bodies of the villagers. The horrific tapestry of destruction brought tears to her eyes. For a whole hour crying was the only thing she could do.

Raindrops fell on Twilight's motionless body. The small drops grew into a strong rain. Twilight was not sure if she would be able to move ever again. With her disease she should not put so much strain on her body. The doctor said that she had about one month left to live, but after restoring the dragon's speaking ability and now exhausting her strength on the village Twilight was certain that death was soon to come, her life coming to an end.

It was not the end she wanted by far. In the seven days of her journey she has seen beautiful forests and meadows, climbed high mountains, inspected a dark cave, flew above Equestria, visited Manehatten, and yet this is the way everything was going to end. It was going to end with her lying in a pool of blood forced to look at theburnt corpses of the villager's.
Hour after hour she lied there helplessly. Many thoughts went through her head. She remembered her parents. Twilight didn't really visit them often after moving to Ponyville. She remembered her beloved teacher Princess Celestia and of course her most precious Ponyville friends. Twilight had lived a beautiful and happy life. She had come to terms with it ending for some time now, but she hoped for a more noble or just peaceful death. The only thing she could do is think and cry in the rain.

Princess Celestia, Applejack, Rarity, everypony... what would they say after seeing me like this? They always taught me to never give up. I taught them myself never to give up...when did I become the one who lost all hope? It is never too late to try. If I am going to die, I am going to die fighting!

At the thought of her friends and family Twilight started shaking on the ground. Her every muscle ached. Slowly, she put her front hoof on the ground. Collecting all of her will she slowly started to get up. She could hear her friends and loved ones. She could hear their silent cheers. Soon Twilight was shaking...shaking but standing on her four legs. Slowly throwing one leg in front of the other, Twilight started walking.

The sight of the burnt village was one of the most painful in her entire life. To see how she could save them all but failed was unbearable. Twilight's eyes were dry from crying too much . It took her a long time to walk through the village. She came to a small house which was not as badly damaged as the others.

She could barely fit into the place where the door was supposed to be. Twilight did not have enough strength to get up the ladder to the bedroom and it was way too dangerous anyway. The building was most likely unstable. She made it to the kitchen and collapsed on a slightly burnt chair.

Twilight closed her eyes. She was happy to still be alive. Her body was very weak. Too much blood was lost and she was starving. Just when she thought she could relax Twilight heard sobbing. Seemed like it was coming from the second floor. Twilight slowly came to the ladder. The sobbing could be heard stronger right now.

It was dangerous to go to the second floor but Twilight thought if somepony survived in the fire she had to help him. She carefully put her hoof on the first step. The ladder seemed to be secure enough. Step after step Twilight slowly went up the ladder. Now on the second floor, she started to slowly walk towards the sound of crying.

She entered a small room. Inside was a small cot in which was a tiny blue foal. Twilight could not believe her eyes. After the terrible fire the cot was not even slightly damaged. Not a single trace of fire could be seen around it. The foal looked at Twilight with his big blue eyes and slowly stopped crying and looked at Twilight. His eyes twinkled like stars.

Twilight slowly reached out her hoof to the little foal. The child did not seem to be utterly unafraid of her. Twilight was amazed. A little foal surviving in the fire was not likely. Even if the fire did not burn him, the smoke should have caused some damage but the small foal was perfectly healthy .

"Don't worry... I will protect you no matter what" Twilight whispered as she wrapped up the foal into a piece of cloth from the cot.

It was hard for Twilight to walk as it was, but with the foal it presented even more of a challenge to her. She almost tripped twice going down the stairs. She squeezed the little foal against her, firmly trying her best not to drop him. The foal was happy and calm. He looked at Twilight as if she was her mother.

Under the dark sky of the forest the barely alive Twilight carried a small blue foal, walking step after step, being careful not to drop the child. Small drops of rain fell on her face. They made her nose itchy but she could not allow herself to scratch it. She was afraid to use even the simplest spells right now, when somepony's life and wellbeing depended on her.
After a while Twilight was finally out of the demolished town. She prayed with all her heart that she remebered the right way back to her campsite. She also hoped that fire did not make it to her tent.

Step after step she got weaker and weaker. Twilight had never before in her life pushed her limits so much. Everything looked like a mishmash of different colors in Twilight's eyes. She could hardly see where she was going.

After walking for a short period of time she saw what appeared to be a brown blot that she hoped was her tent. Fate was fortunate to Twilight as it truly was her tent. She entered it and with shaking hooves she lay the foal on the bed, then she collapsed on the floor.





“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.” ― Bil Keane