• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 2,094 Views, 63 Comments

My Little Puggy - DarthWill3



Rainbow Dash has rescued 4 pug puppies from the river, but she can't keep or get rid of them. They need a home. Which pony should she ask to take care of the little angels?

  • ...
4
 63
 2,094

Chapter 2: Trouble at the Golden Oak Library

Rainbow and Tank exited the pet shop, with the Wonder Pugs following behind with their new collars and nametags on. All the collars had the same mane color of the Wonderbolts for their namesakes: Spitfire’s was orange and yellow-streaked; Soarin’, dark blue; Fleetfoot, white; and Rapidfire, turquoise and white-streaked. Every single little puppy snorted with pride.

Since the puppies couldn’t keep up in the air, what with no wings and only tiny little legs, Rainbow had to lead on the ground. Tank remained flying in the air.

Moments later, they were all outside the Golden Oak Library, which served as the house of Twilight Sparkle. Rainbow knocked on the door.

“Coming!” called Twilight from inside. She opened up and then saw two familiar faces. “Oh. Hi, Rainbow Dash,” she said warmly. “Hi, Tank. How’s it going with—” She stopped suddenly as she saw the Wonder Pugs right behind the blue Pegasus and the flying tortoise before rushing over to meet them.

“Uh… Twilight?” asked Rainbow, dumbfounded.

“Aw, Rainbow,” chuckled Twilight as Spitfire kissed her on the cheek, “you didn’t tell me you were buying such adorable puppies.”

Rainbow grimaced. “They sure are a-a-a-a-… admirable, I’ll give them that,” she spoke hesitantly, barely managing not to say the other word that began with an "A" and a “D.” If that got out, her reputation would’ve fallen apart piece by piece. “And no, I didn’t buy those puppies. I found them and bought collars and nametags for them. That’s it.”

“Oh,” said Twilight. “So what are you gonna do with them?”

“That’s what I came to you for, Twi. Can you take care of them for me? They really need a place to stay.”

Twilight smiled, though it kind of looked rather sad. “Rainbow Dash, I would love to watch over them—”

“Great!” exclaimed Rainbow and she turned to the puppies, speaking proudly, “Wonder Pugs, I declare the house of Twilight Sparkle as your official new home!”

The Wonder Pugs barked with excitement and raced into the house.

“But, but, but…” Twilight began.

“Thanks a lot, Twilight,” said Rainbow. “You’re the only pony I know who knows how to keep things organized. That’s your specialty, right?”

“But, but, but…”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll a good job.” Rainbow turned and walked into the house. “But before I go, I wanna see how the little guys are doing.”

“Rainbow,” Twilight said sharply with such exasperation that she got her friend’s attention, “you haven’t let me finish. I would really—really—love to watch over the puppies… but I can’t.”

Rainbow stopped and looked back at Twilight. Her eyes widened with disbelief and dismay. “Huh?” she began to say. “But why not?

“One, I haven’t got any experience with handling dogs; two, I don’t have the time; and three, the only pony we know who has that kind of training and a home for animals on the ground is—”

But before Twilight could finish, there was a scream inside the house, right upstairs to where she and Spike, the baby dragon she hatched, kept their beds.

Rainbow, Twilight, and Tank rushed to the scene to find Spitfire and Soarin’ playing tug-of-war with Spike’s blanket, using their mouths to do the pulling. Their faint snorting could barely be heard from afar. And that wasn’t the only thing the two ponies saw.

“My blanket!” shouted Spike in a high-pitched voice, rushing over to his bed. “My blue blanket! Gimme back my blue blanket!” Grabbing a hold of the cloth, he yanked it out of the dumbstruck puppies’ oral clutches and nuzzled it on his head. In a few seconds, he became completely relaxed.

With no object to play with, Soarin' and Spitfire decided to keep their paws busy with each other on the bed.

“Spike,” said Rainbow, raising an eyebrow, “can you tell me what’s with you and the blanket?”

“Sorry, Rainbow Dash,” said Spike, sheepishly. “I just don’t like anypony touching my blue blanket.”

“I can see that.”

“It’s nothing serious. It’s just that I’ve had it ever since the day I hatched... and I find it very comforting.”

Twilight giggled. “He’ll get used to it,” she whispered to Rainbow.

Rainbow just rolled her eyes. “Right...”

Just then, they heard a yip and found Fleetfoot racing around the room, knocking down stacked piles of books that were laid on the floor. She didn’t feel like stopping, despite her tiny little paws.

“Oh no!” cried Twilight. “Those books were alphabetized!”

“Sorry, Twilight,” said Rainbow, bashfully. “Fleetfoot likes to run around. She’s supposed to be a little hyper.”

Twilight tensely fixed her eyes on Rainbow. “A little?!?

Hoot.

The two ponies looked to their right and found Owlowiscious the owl standing in his usual perch on Twilight’s desk. Chewing on his left foot was...

“Rapidfire!”

Rainbow ran over and got her hooves on the puppy. A second later, Owlowiscious’ foot was free.

“You oughta be more careful,” Rainbow scolded to Rapidfire. “I dunno how you managed to jump on a perch twice your height, but you could’ve slipped and had an accident.”

Little Rapidfire gave a whimper of remorse.

Satisfied with an apology, Rainbow turned face to the direction of the beds and called out “Spitfire! Soarin’! Down here! On the double!”

Obediently, the two puppies obliged and hopped down the stars. Not one of them made a trip.

“Wow!” exclaimed Rainbow, putting Rapidfire down on the floor. “Who knew puppies of your size could climb upstairs and downstairs so easily!”

All four Wonder Pugs smiled and wagged their tails proudly.

“Anyway,” Twilight spoke, “I appreciate your coming to me, Rainbow, but I think you should let Fluttershy take care of the puppies.”

Rainbow shook her head. “Are you kidding me?” she put in. “You saw how many animals she has in her house.”

“I know,” acknowledged Twilight. “But she can’t possibly have too many animals that require her—”

“You know what?” cut in Rainbow, sighing with resignation. “Don’t bother. I’ll find somepony else that’ll fit the bill.” And with that, she stormed out the door, Tank and the Wonder Pugs trailing from behind.

Twilight looked on, speechless for a few seconds before calling out “Well, then... Uh... Good luck, Rainbow Dash Thanks for dropping by!”

The blue Pegasus didn’t answer. She just slammed the door from the outside.


“I can’t believe it!” complained Rainbow. “To think that Twilight would know everything, and yet, she doesn’t know how to take care of four little puppies!” She took a deep breath and allowed herself to relax.

The Wonder Pugs watched Rainbow with worry. They started to whimper once more.

Noticing the puppies’ troubles, Rainbow lowered her head toward them. “It’s okay, little guys,” she soothed. “It’s not your fault. I just thought I found the perfect home for you. Looks like we’re in a tough hay bale.

“Now… Who should we ask next?”

Tank and the puppies waited patiently for a couple of seconds before regaining their spirits as Rainbow shouted out the name of the pony she came up with: “Pinkie Pie!”

Author's Note:

It seems fitting that the Wonder Pugs' collars get the same color as each famous Wonderbolts, wouldn't you say?

A librarian who loves pug puppies, yet can't take care of them.

You want to what gets Spike all crazy? Anypony else touching his blue blanket. You should watch "The Producers" for that reference. Funny movie.