• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,458 Views, 13 Comments

Outcast - RedScootaloo



After finally returning to Ponyville, Scootaloo finds herself to be confronted with intolerance, hatred and an annoying sister. Sequel to Runaway.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,458

Chapter 3: Red Mane, Yellow Coat

The room was completely silent.

You could've heard a pin drop as Scootaloo slowly packed up her things.

Unbelievable.

She felt the eyes of the whole class on her back. Cheerilee was watching her, but kept quiet, even as she left the room. Scootaloo could hear Diamond Tiara laugh her evil laughter and was about to return to-

No, hitting her would just cause her trouble and give them more reasons to hate her.

More reasons? They didn't even have reasons! What was wrong with love, even if it was between members of the same gender? Why did everypony react so negative?

But she remembered herself feeling the same way before she met Bash. She had felt so wrong when she had lain on her, as if it just wasn't meant for fillies to be that close on both an emotional and physical level to another filly. But that changed when they kissed. From that moment on, she had become more and more used to it, didn't feel like it was wrong anymore. It felt like the most common thing ever. As if she was a colt...

But Cheerilee reminded her that not everypony thought this way. In the mid of her lesson about sexuality, she began talking about lesbians. She had looked straight in her face, with eyes so cold they seemed to pierce right through her soul and seemingly additionally mentioned that it wasn't meant for fillies to fall in love with another filly just as it was wrong for colts to be with colts. Her point was that neither gay nor lesbian couples could raise young ponies nor even get one.

That was when the room fell silent. Not even her own sister, Bash, said anything. Until Tiara laughed.

She kept control over her mind as she left the school building. She knew the place she would go. The place that had been her home before she left Ponyville.

---

The first thing Scootaloo noticed when she walked up to the wooden hut was the missing cape.

She tried not to think about how fast they - or at least Applebloom - got rid of it. She probably threw it into a bin as soon as she left them. It seemed so long since they went on their last crusade for their cutie marks.

Making her way to the doorway she noticed how much the building had changed. The windows had boards nailed over them, the wood seemed to be darker then she remembered. She reached the top and leaned against the door with the weak hope that the shed was unlocked. To her surprise it was. But what she saw when she entered surprised her even more.

A yellow coated pony with a red mane sat on a chair, her back to the door, staring at something at the wall. No, not something. The cape that Scootaloo had left behind. Did she... miss her? Scootaloo was irritated as Applebloom was the one asking her to leave.

The pony in front of her slowly turned around, giving her an irritated look. "You?" it asked.

"Applebloom," was all the surprised filly could respond.

A few awkward seconds of the ponies just looking in each others eyes passed silently. After what felt like hours Applebloom suddenly bolted up and jumped towards the now receding pony. Scootaloo feared her former friend would try to beat her and closed her eyes in advance, but instead of a hard hoof in her face she found herself being pulled closely to 'Bloom. She felt something wet run down her back barely moments later.

"A-are you crying, Applebloom?" Wow. That was the worst question ever and possibly the worst thing she could've said in this situation.

"Ah missed ya so much, Scoots!" the earth pony said. "Ah thought ya would never return an' that Ah'd never see ya again! Ah regretted what Ah said ta ye the last time we spoke. Ah- Ah'm so sorry!"

Scootaloo froze in shock. This was the last thing she would have expected. Applebloom missed her? Sure, she missed the yellow filly, too, but after what had happened everything she thought about her was that she probably hated her and never wanted to see her again. But the reality was so far away from her imaginations.

The fillies just stood like this for a couple of minutes, until Scootaloo came up with a question. "Why didn't you go to school today?"

The question halled through the empty room and remained without an answer for a few more minutes. "School wasn't the same without ya, Scootaloo. A lot of things changed, and no day passed without Diamond Tiara making fun of yer absence. Sweets and Ah couldn't stand it anymore, so we agreed on not going to school ever again until ya returned. She missed ya so much, Scoots. And Ah did, too."

"I missed you gals, too. But wasn't Applejack mad when you just didn't go to school anymore?"

"She didn't notice. Everypony was just so busy with searching for you," she answered. "But now that ye're back we can all go back to school and don't have to worry about it anymore."

Scootaloo fell quiet. She thought about what had happened today. Now that she had her friends back she would probably need to ask them about what to do. But first they'd have to wait for Sweetie to join them...