• Published 19th Feb 2012
  • 2,871 Views, 90 Comments

The Sixth Age - TacticalRainboom



Welcome to New Canterlot City, chummer. It's a magical place--"magical" in the dangerous way.

  • ...
7
 90
 2,871

5: Redeye

Address: NCnet // >encrypted< // >encrypted< // Individuals // Redeye.atx
Page Title: ShadowNet: Redeye (overview)
Excerpt: Redeye has accrued power and reputation at an utterly unprecedented rate, such that her name may eventually command the same respect as the likes of Fastrack and V-jack. Along with her role as a connection between professionals and anonymous employers, Redeye is known as a powerful information broker. Like any good information broker, she is secretive to a paranoid extreme, and she almost certainly commands far more resources than she lets anyone know about.


“Come on, come on, come on!” Ironwood growled, more to herself than to Daybreak.

Ironwood was used to dealing with Spectra’s crap. She didn’t blame Spectra for the difficulty of keeping First Seed going despite gang wars happening across the street. She hadn’t complained the last time she’d had to lie to a Warhorse squad leader’s face in order to give Spectra an alibi. She could even handle Spectra leading the war in through First Seed’s doors.

But for Spectra to bring this horseshit down on a bystander, and a witness, and—most
importantly—a guest?

Ironwood gritted her teeth even harder as she glanced over her shoulder at the panting pink professor following behind her. The poor girl probably rarely even saw guns, to say nothing of having them pointed at her, for Mother’s sake. Spectra had a lot to answer for.

The racket had stopped, but that didn’t mean the trouble was over. Better to keep running, get Daybreak as far away from the scene as possible. A dozen different plans spun through Ironwood’s head even as she galloped down the dilapidated streets, but she already knew what her best option was. It was just that she just hated the idea.

The safehouse. Spectra’s safehouse. Ironwood bristled at the idea of owing Spectra a favor. Maybe the ol’ instincts were wrong, and there wouldn’t be any need...

A burst of gunfire echoed off of the concrete buildings lining the street. Ironwood snapped her head to the side in alarm as she heard Daybreak yelp and fall. “Hey! You all right?”

“Y-yeah, I’m fine,” Daybreak squeaked, picking herself back up. “I just... the sound startled me, so I tripped and—”

“Okay, good! Now let’s go!”

Ironwood felt a headache coming on. Oh, how she wished that this bullshit could be happening on a different day.

As soon as the two reached an intersection, Ironwood took a sharp right turn and started leading Daybreak deeper into the shadow of the plate. The safehouse wasn’t far, and there were probably worse things than owing favors to a reckless “professional” who had two gangs and at least one corporation out for her head. Probably.


Red words blinked in the center of Victoria’s map: Incoming voice call—active asset.

Victoria answered with a quick flick of her hoof. “This is Redeye,” she monotoned.

A deep-throated stallion’s voice replied: [The target’s under our control, but, uh, I’m seeing two unarmed heading towards our drop-off. One’s the owner of the place we pulled the target out of. What do I do?]

What to do, indeed? Victoria clicked her tongue. Calling another team on Spectra’s friend—Ironwood, that was her name—would only risk creating more witnesses. She could make an emergency call, but Warhorse’s response wouldn’t be able to intercept the two before they reached the safehouse. The main difficulty with finding solutions here was the small matter of the stranger, Ironwood’s guest, a wildcard in this most delicate game in which the stakes were far higher than anypony else could know...

[Redeye? We’ve only got a few minutes!]

And keeping the assets waiting on a response would be as good as calling Warhorse on them.

“Maintain low profile, then detain at point R. Absolutely no violent solutions unless reciprocating use of force. Await further instructions.”

With that, Victoria spread her hooves wide, then swiped them together and gave her head a violent shake. The city map vanished, the display on Victoria’s shades reverted to personal mode, and the chair quickly lowered its mistress back to the floor.

“Wardrobe, please,” Victoria said to the apartment, striding purposefully towards the study’s already open door. “A special outing. My finest.” She imagined that she could hear the clicking of hidden mechanisms in the walls as they assembled the outfit in accordance with her coded words. Then, as an afterthought: “Cancel tranquilizer venom. Substitute three explosive, six anti-personnel, six high-velocity. Remaining magazine, tranquilizer venom.”

Victoria sighed as the doors hissed shut behind her. Getting her coat dirty in an outing to the shadows was bad enough, but the threat of having to personally get her hooves dirty was more danger than she would normally abide. Unfortunately, these weren’t normal circumstances, no...

Well, on the upside, this was turning out to be quite the interesting day.


Ironwood slammed and bolted the door, then let out a long breath, simultaneously a sigh of relief and a huff of annoyance.

“Are... are we safe now?” squeaked a timid voice. Ironwood sighed again, quietly this time. Daybreak couldn’t have been younger than thirty-five, but she sounded like a little filly. Then again, it would be hard to blame her for that after the kind of day this had been.

“Yeah, we’re safe,” Ironwood lied. “Jus’ pull up a seat, we can wait this out for a while. I’m gonna need to make a couple calls with this place’s terminal.”

The safehouse was simple enough--one of the undercity’s many abandoned flats, which Spectra and Ironwood had forcefully purged of vagrants and other vermin some months ago. The place didn’t see much use, so some of the salvaged chairs that they’d dragged in to make it more comfortable were starting to deteriorate. The futon was looking less than trustworthy too. Still, it was comfortable, it was discreet, and the ruined walls were perfect for stashing things in. If she needed them, Ironwood knew where she could find a loaded hoofgun, a cheap AR headset, two gallons of clean water, and a portable generator full of gas.

All of which were reasons why she hated the safehouse. This wasn’t a residence, it was a hideout. It was the kind of place that only criminals who needed to avoid the consequences of their actions would ever use.

“Hey, uh... Daybreak.” It took Ironwood a moment to remember her “house”-guest’s name; she was busy trying to peek out of the front wall’s windows while hiding from view by standing flat against the wall. “There’s a terminal in the next room over. Go fire it up an’ I’ll be there in a minute.”

Ironwood heard a door open behind her, followed by a timid “Uh, Ironwood?”

What Ironwood saw when she turned around froze her blood. She’d stared down a couple of pistols today, but that was nothing like the hardware currently being aimed at Daybreak’s chest. A pair of pegasi, one yellow and one white, towered over Daybreak, aiming two long-barrled saddleguns each at the poor little unicorn. The gunponies’ darkened AR visors concealed their eyes, but not their dangerous frowns.

Behind them was the crumpled form of a blue-green pony. It was hard to tell in the low light, but Ironwood thought she saw wings and the glint of implants.

“Steady. No need for trouble.” Ironwood felt her heart shudder as she slowly advanced towards Daybreak. “We’re gonna leave, all right?”

“No, you’re not. Take your headsets off and put them in the middle of the floor.” The yellow merc’s voice was flat; impassive. His partner didn’t speak.

“Fine. We do what you say, you don’t shoot. Right?” Ironwood spoke slowly and deliberately as she took position by Daybreak’s side. Ironwood was sure that both pegasi noticed her trying to look past them and into the room where Spectra was, but neither of them commented on it. “I left my headset back at the farm. No trouble from me.”

“You try anything, we shoot.”

Daybreak whimpered again as she fumbled with the strap on her goggles, finally getting them free after a few frantic seconds.

“All right. We’re not gonna try anything.” Ironwood nudged Daybreak gently, and felt that the poor girl was shivering. “Let’s all just have a seat, a’right?” She held out a foreleg to urge Daybreak to come with her as she backed towards the center of the room. Neither stallion moved. Both kept their weapons aimed at Daybreak and Ironwood.

Ironwood led Daybreak over to the chair that was least likely to collapse. “It’s gonna be fine, all right? We’re gonna be fine.” She brushed Daybreak with the side of her head, urging her towards the chair. “Go on.”

Daybreak sat gingerly on the moldy armchair, as if she was afraid that its deep cushions might contain something sharp that would cut her if she fell into it too quickly. Ironwood didn’t sit; she stood next to the chair, trying to keep one eye on every part of the room at once. It was all she could do to stop herself from reaching over and placing a comforting hoof on Daybreak’s shoulder.

“So,” Ironwood said, as casually as she could manage, “You’re from the university?”

Daybreak nodded once, but she didn’t look away from the two stallions who still had their weapons trained on her.

“You teach classes there?” Ironwood leaned forward, trying to get Daybreak to look at her instead of the mercs and their guns.

“Sometimes.” Daybreak looked like she was trying very hard to sit still and still failing completely. Her chest shook with unsteady breaths, and she grimaced slightly every time she took a hard, forced swallow.

“What kinda classes? Magic theory?”

“No.” This time, Daybreak briefly met Ironwood’s eye before she answered. “Magical history and magic studies.”

Ironwood chuckled. “Like I said. Magic theory?”

Daybreak turned toward Ironwood and opened her mouth to explain, but she cut herself off and looked back toward the gunponies again as one of them spoke up.

“Yeah, I just got the confirmation. No, there wasn’t any trouble.” The white pegasus had turned his visored stare towards the front door.

Ironwood dared to take a sigh of relief as all four mounted rifles in the room retracted and folded flat against their owners’ saddled backs. Without another look at Ironwood or Daybreak, the two visored pegasi haded for the door.

Ironwood didn’t wait for permission to move. She nearly bumped into one of the armed pegasi as she rushed past him and into the darkened room containing the place’s terminal. Spectra’s fur blended all too well into the shadows, and she still laid perfectly still, but anypony could smell a bloody wound from this distance. At least, that was what Ironwood chose to tell herself. She didn’t smell blood.

“Uh... Ironwood...”

Ironwood’s jaw stiffened with intense disapproval as she heard Daybreak’s whimper. Of course.

“Tell ‘em they can shoot me once I’m done checking on Spectra,” Ironwood snarled.

A voice replied in a gurgling metallic sputter. “Tell Ironwood that all three of you will be safe, but only if you follow my instructions without hesitation.”

Ironwood snapped her head to the side in alarm at the sound of her name. In the small room’s doorway stood a figure nearly a head taller than Daybreak, covered from head to tail in a black robe that was sewn into neat panels, like a formal suit. The hood was tented from , as if to accommodate a mane done into a rigid mohawk, and the wearer’s face was hidden behind a satin-like veil. It was as if the robe was being worn by a ghost.

Ironwood remained unimpressed. “If I had a bit for every time somepony told me to do something ‘for my own safety’ while pointing a piece of hardware at my chest...”

“I didn’t think there was any need for that,” the figure replied in the same distorted drone, “But--”

She punctuated her words with a sternum-shaking gunshot and a muzzle flash from between two of her robe’s molded panels. A hoof-sized crater appeared in the ground in a flash of yellow light, less than a hoof-span from Ironwood’s metal forelegs. Daybreak didn’t even have time to finish her yelp before the hooded pony started barking orders at her.

“You. Pick your headset back up and open it to local connections.” Then she looked at Ironwood. "Where’s yours? Implanted?”

Ironwood spared Daybreak only a momentary glance as the poor girl hurriedly ran back into the main room. “Ain’t a thing in my skull ‘cept bone ‘n brains. Left my headseton the farm when th’ two of us started running for our lives.” Ironwood hadn’t shied back an inch from the oversized bullet hole at her hooves--if anything, she was seriously considering charging the hooded figure down. Targeting programs weren’t perfect, and the stranger probably didn’t have his or hers on paranoid automatically-waste-any-incoming-threat mode.

“I’ll arrange to have it picked up and delivered to where we’re going.” The figure shifted to the side, away from the doorframe. “Have the other one help you drag the pegasus into the bed of my vehicle.”

And there it was, the last straw. “No,” Ironwood said in an animal growl.

The figure actually managed to look taken aback despite not having any visible facial features. “What did you say?”

“Leave the other one out of it,” Ironwood said, glaring straight through the stranger’s tented hood. “She has nothing to do with this.”

“She has everything to do with this. She needs to come with me.” The electronic voice reached a high pitch on the word needs. “I despise repeating myself. She will help you move Spectra. I don’t recall giving either of you a choice in the matter.”

“How do you know our names?” Ironwood demanded.

“Will it be faster for me to disable you and have your friend help me move you as well? I regret that I do not have tranquilizer venom in my magazine.” And the electronic voice managed to be menacing despite being barely comprehensible.

“Yes.”

There was only a half-beat of silence before Ironwood charged, her mechanical legs pounding cracks into the bare concrete floor. Before she could even take three bounding steps towards the hooded pony, two gunshots rang out, two yellow explosions bloomed on Ironwood’s false knees, and the would-be heroine crashed to the ground in a yelling, cursing, flesh and chrome trainwreck. She tumbled to a halt at the cloaked pony’s hooves.

“Never fear; I’ll pay for repairs. You! Help me move both of these two. Careful; she’s bound to weigh quite a lot thanks to her augments.”

Author's Note:

I'd been thinking of making this into a more complete chapter, but I've had so little time lately and it's been so long and I've been letting this languish so much that I figured I'd give you guys this.

Comments ( 20 )

:yay:Update! - been waiting for this hope inspiration strikes soon for the next chapter.:twilightsmile:

This isn't Shadowrun with ponies.

This is Shadowrun! and I couldn't be happier.

Well, who'd have believed we'd see a real dark side to ponies.
I think I'll have to revise my assessment. That's not Rarity, that's Vinyl. And I hate her, the way any 'Runner would.
Best tribute I can pay.

2133727

Changeling?

2133774
>Jackpoint

Yes indeed! In fact, the section at the beginning of the latest chapter is meant to be a piece from a datahaven, and it contains a sneaky reference.

I'm glad that a shadow-savvy fellow like yourself is liking this!

Ok, I may be the odd one out having next to no knowledge of Shadowrun (other than its existence) I must confess that I truly believe this is one of the few stories that successfully combine genres. I will admit I was reticent to read this as most things cyberpunk make my head scream in agony, but I find myself wanting to delve further into this story and where it's roots come from. On another note although the chapters seem short, you manage to make it fit together nicely. Please continue the good work. :pinkiehappy:
And if there is anyone out there who knows of a good reference start point for Shadowrun please feel free to fill me in.

2139045

Two good ways:

One. Get a few friends together and play the tabletop game. This is the best way, because it basically amounts to having someone explain it to you the way THEY see it. If you don't have any friends who would do this with you, buy or torrent the sourcebook and skim it.

Two. Play a video game based on it. Any game will do, because all you need is to see the elements at play: 1) scary cyberpunk-y corporations and class warfare, 2) noir action with spygames and bullets flying, 3) cool typical-fantasy magic and how it works. There is a PC game, but it's multiplayer-only so don't bother with it. there is a Genesis and an SNES game, so emulate those or watch let's plays of them.

Three. Go to a used bookstore and pick up a Shadowrun novel. These are mostly garbage, but they will let you read a story set in the world of Shadowrun. This isn't really a good way to get into it because not all of them do a good job of writing for people who don't know Shadowrun, and because authors are all over the place with tone, but it will surely give you a solid background.

Four-ish. Play some other cyberpunk video game and pretend that you also have the option to play as different races, and that you have the option to stick to your meat body, which gives you crazy kung fu superpowers and/or the ability to gaze into the spiritual plane like Daybreak does while interviewing Ironwood. Perhaps Human Revolution, which this fic is very much influenced by.

Bear in mind the stuff I have to say in this comment: 1985667

The genesis and SNES games have an angle of "real" shadowrun in that you play a dude in the mean slums of a cyberpunky city. Deus Ex: Human Revolution isn't "real "cyberpunk; it's closer to the slightly optimistic attitude you see in this fic. Again, HR is written by people with 2010 sensibilities. Massive corporate power and robot limbs aren't a scary what-if future--they're REAL! And they're scary, but they're not creating this awful, bleak world. It's not borderline dystopia.

Holy crap, how am I not reading this yet.

Okay, yeah. That was really damn cool.

Also, Rarity is best cyberpony.

Is this on hiatus or am I just underestimating the average update time for it?

2653928

Sadly, this is on hiatus, though that doesn't mean I am. I've left it behind is all--and written many, many more things between then and now.

I may return to this. For now, read the many many oneshots.

2654066

Might want to mark it as on hiatus, then.

I really liked it, hope you come back to this one day. I'll check out the other stuff.

Bro.

Bro...
This is like me when I posted Chapter 1 of Pirene and left it for like 5 months. Y'all given me a taste and I want more.

To be a little more detailed, I am digging the depth of setting you've put here. There's a lot in the background that's implied and tied together and not overtly stated. Even with all the things that are clearly stated, there's a million questions left over to cover the stuff that's left behind.

That is something I love to see in any story.

2139579
I remember when I was a kid my dad had an almost complete collection of Shadowrun paperbacks. I kind of regret not reading more of them when I had the chance.

3193002
While I don't think this material is as promising and intriguing as Pirene's beginning was, I'd still like to see where you were going with this.

3233036
It's about as long as Chapter 1 of Pirene!

3233154
And it just occurred to me that the reason why I liked your story better than this is because it pushed more of my buttons. A story where humans and ponies get together that plays off like a riff on the whole Narnia thing where the kid goes to the fantasy world, and dealing with the aftermath of that? Awesome! A pony reinterpretation of a setting that I was mildly interested in which prosthetics only change the nature of a pony's disability instead of making them able to stand on an even playing field with normal ponies? Only kind of awesome!

Please continue this. It's really good and pony cyberpunk is so rare! (Seriously, that I can think of on here is this, Obsolescence, Starworks and this new thing that just started called Friendship is Software)

It's going on two years since you last updated this. Any plans to come back to it?

Is this thing ever coming out of hiatus? :_(

6783528 I guess not...

Login or register to comment