• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 9,262 Views, 334 Comments

A Lost Soul Returns: The King of Monsters - Dark Star the Crazed



A statue in the castle of the royal pony sisters is like Discord. There is a living being trapped within, and he is set free.

  • ...
52
 334
 9,262

PreviousChapters Next
The Ghosts of Lulamoon Manor and a Pet.

Conscience is no more than the dead speaking to us. ~ Jim Carroll.


Two days later.

"Thanks for doing this Soul." The shade turned and smiled at Trixie, the two had gotten a letter in the mail from Trixie's mother this morning. It went into detail about strange happenings that had been going on in Trixie's ancestral home, Lulamoon Manor. Things such as the lights turning on and off, temperature dropping, doors slamming, whispers, and strange ponies appearing and disappearing in the blink of an eye. Classic signs of a haunting. Soul and Trixie walked up to the door and Soul watched as Trixie reached into a rain spout, pulling out a key. The blue mare walked over and unlocked the door. "Well, let's go and see if we can help my mother by putting this spirit to rest..." Soul nodded and the two entered the house. They then went to the parlor, where Trixie's mother, Charm, was waiting.

The green unicorn mare smiled at the sight of her daughter and her coltfriend. She ran over and gave her daughter a hug. "Oh it's been so long since I've seen you. Almost a year now... We have so much catching up to do... But that can wait until later, oh but I need to know how you and Hex are doing..."

"We're doing fine mother, Hex especially. He has taken an interest in fillies... In fact he has a fillyfriend, a little orange pegasus named Scootaloo. And... My little brother got his cutie mark." Charm stopped in her tracks and ran over to Trixie, to which the blue mare cringed. "Hug Soul! He's the one who helped Hex realize he was talented on the flute!" Charm ran past her daughter and gave Soul a bone crushing hug. After a few seconds she let go.

"Thank you for helping my son find out what his talent is... Anyway I suppose you want to know what the spirits that I have seen look like so you can help them cross over." Both Soul and Trixie nodded. "Well one of them is just a colt, an earth pony with a yellow white coat and light grey mane. He only appears to me outside and he whispers something before disappearing. The second is... I think he's the ghost of a guard... He always looks at me, says something about 'The foals need to be found.' and then just disappears... The last... He is somepony that I know very well, my father Volek Setterwind... All he does is say that 'Hex must take up my place as the guardian of Badge.' before he disappears... All three of them only appear at night..."

"Three ghosts?" Charm nodded and Soul looked at Trixie. "Looks like we have a lot to do Trix..." The blue mare smiled and nodded. "Well we better get to work... Ok Trixie, who should we go after first?"

"I think we should try and help my grandfather first, he was a good pony, and he deserves to enter the afterlife... Looks like we are going to be here for at least a day, good thing Hex is having a sleepover at Applejack's..." Soul nodded and Charm pointed up the stairs, indicating that is where she would see glimpses of her father's spirit.

"Well you two should go and have fun before night falls, I know you came to Canterlot to help me with the ghosts, but still, it would be a shame if you wasted the day here... Go out and have fun." Charm walked over and gently pushed them out the door. "Ta-ta!" She closed the door and the two blue unicorns shrugged before walking off.

"Finally! I was dying in there!" A small trap door opened and a dark green unicorn mare stepped out of the hole. She had a cutie mark that resembled Charm's only instead of a star tipped wand over a book, the tip of the wand on her flank looked like a bolt of lightning. "So, Tamashii really is your daughter's coltfriend... Well... You really do have quite the interesting family."

"Remember Curse, you yourself said that as my Nightmare, you are basically my half sister. So I don't have an interesting family, we have an interesting family." The light green smirked at her darker colored counterpart.


Trixie and Soul came back as the sun began to set. They had basically spent the day walking around Canterlot. Soul had also learned something new about his fillyfriend, she had a sweet tooth that was almost as big as Celestia's. "I still can't believe you were able to eat ten donuts without taking a break."

"Hey, it's not my fault they taste so good. Blame Joe." Soul sighed.

"I'm not blaming anypony, I just-" Soul turned his head and saw a colt inside of the manor fence, waving Trixie and Soul over. "Trixie... Is it just me or do you see a colt trying to get our attention?"

"No I see him..." The two walked towards the colt and began to hear him whisper. "Hey, are you ok?"

"I'm cold..." Trixie and Soul breathed out and noticed that they could see their breath, then they saw the landscape begin to change, in a few seconds it looked like they were in Canterlot while it was the middle of the winter. "I'm cold..." The dead earth pony colt vanished and reappeared beside the manor, he began to wave them over.

"I think he wants us to follow him..." Before Soul could agree Trixie ran over to the colt, only for him to vanish again. The blue mare looked around before running out of Soul's sight, the shade chased after her and he soon caught up. He saw Trixie trying to get into what looked like an old toolshed.

"Trixie... Why are you trying to get into that toolshed?" Trixie pointed to the left and Soul saw the ghostly colt pointing at the shed. "Ok, Trixie, move I'll get it open." Trixie nodded and moved out of the way. She then looked at the colt.

"I know you're cold, but how can we help?" The colt smiled.

"Get my jacket and my body... Lord Lulamoon locked me in there after I stole his key..." Trixie looked at the colt for a few more seconds before realizing something, she had seen him before, on a missing pony poster five years ago.

"Ok, I got it open!" Trixie turned and saw Soul with a grim look on his face. "For the love of the shadows! T-Trixie d-don't come over here! Run and get the guards, I think that your father's sentence is going to be moved up from life in prison to death row." Trixie walked over and looked inside, what she saw made her throw up. The preserved body of a filly nailed onto a wall. "Go get the guards, I'll get his jacket." Trixie shook her head.

"I'll get the jacket, you're faster because you can move through shadows, so you go get the guards." Soul was about to protest, until he saw something in Trixie's eyes. Determination, she was determined to get the ghost's jacket. With a sigh Soul sank into his shadow and went to the castle to get some guards. Trixie entered the small shed and quickly found a puffy red jacket, which she gave to the colt's ghost and watched as he put it on. He pulled something out of the jacket pocket, a rusted key that looked as old as the manor was.

"Trixie, I'm back." Soul walked in and saw Trixie picking up the key. He then saw a spirit, not the colt, but the spirit of a guard. The earth pony guard walked over and hugged the colt's spirit. He heard the colt whisper what sounded like 'Daddy' before looking at Trixie and Soul.

"Thank you... I can see the light... It's so beautiful... I can feel the warm summer sun, even from here... I think it's finally time for me to go now..." The colt stood up, walked past the two unicorns, turned and looked back at them. "Thank you once again, and if you ever need my help, you need only ask..." He smiled before nodding his head and slowly fading away. Trixie blinked and looked at Soul.

"Soul, where did the colt's ghost go?" Soul just smiled at his fillyfriend.

"He completed his unfinished business. That means he no longer had anything keeping him in this world. Trixie, his spirit was just set free. He crossed over into the afterlife." Trixie smiled, knowing that she had just helped the spirit of a colt move on, and Soul sighed. "Now, as for you..." Soul turned and looked at the guard. "What do you need to do before you can cross over?"

"This was the case that could have gotten me promoted to an officer. I don't care about the promotion anymore, I just want the world to know the truth about what happened to those fillies and colts." The guard walked over to a tool rack, looked at a screwdriver and disappeared.

Trixie and Soul heard the sound of two pieces of metal hitting each other and turned around. Standing there they saw Shining Armor, Celestia, Luna, and about a dozen guards. "Unbelievable... He really was a sick pony..." Shining Armor walked in and looked at the filly's body. "He... He needs to be put to death Princesses..."

"Um... I think there might be more..." Soul and Armor turned and looked at Trixie. They saw she was holding a semi large book. "This... This book is full of names, dates, and... I think the third category is how hard they cried for their mother..." Trixie gave the book to Shining Armor, who began reading it. He noticed that all the names were those of fillies and colts that had gone missing over the last ten years. He counted fifty three.

Trixie looked at the screw driver and saw some small, barely noticeable, gears next to it. She walked over to the tool rack and pulled on the screwdriver, which was actually a lever, revealing a secret passage. Soul saw the passage open and looked at Trixie. "So that's why the ghost looked at that screwdriver..." Soul, Trixie, and Luna, went down the path, while Celestia and Shining Armor helped the guards divert attention from the manor. The group of blue ponies continued to follow the path. They soon entered a large, ice filled, cave. It was full of bodies that belonged to missing fillies and colts. Luna looked at the sight and gasped in shock. Soul noted that among the bodies was a set of armor.

Trixie saw a large amount of boxes next to an operating table in the corner. She walked over and began to read the things written on them. "Pavulon, suxamethonium chloride, morphine, these are all pain killers and muscle relaxants... By Celestia... He was using these on the foals..." Trixie looked at the bodies and saw most of them had bruises on them. "He beat them to the brink of death, just so he could be an Angel of Mercy..."

"That's right." Soul and Trixie turned and saw the guard's spirit. "And now I may finally rest, knowing that he will pay for his crimes..." The guard gave the two of them a salute and slowly faded away.

"I do not know how the two of you knew about this, but I thank you, all of the families that these fillies and colts went missing from know that they are dead... But at least now they will be able to give them a proper burial..." Luna frowned and looked at the bodies while Trixie and Soul left.

"Well, we only have to help your grandfather cross over now..." Soul looked at Trixie and saw that she was shaking and she had tears in her eyes. "Trix? What's the matter?"

"My father killed all of those fillies and colts... And I had no idea that he was doing it... If I did I would have told the guards..." Soul walked over and hugged the azure unicorn. The blue mare hugged him back and began to cry into his shoulder.

"It's not your fault Trixie. Your father was a sick pony, and he won't be able to hurt anypony ever again. Now, you know that you left Canterlot nine years ago, so there was no possible way you could have known..."

"I know... But it doesn't make me feel any better about it..." Trixie sighed. "Anyway, let's go and help my grandfather cross over..." Soul smiled and nodded.

Three hours later.

Soul and Trixie were walking through the halls of the manor, that's when they bumped into Charm. The green mare looked at her daughter and saw the key that the azure unicorn had gotten from the colt's ghost. "Trixie, where did you get the key to the old boiler? It’s been lost for five years."

"The colt's ghost had it, by the way we only have to help grandfather cross over now. Where do you usually see-" Trixie felt Soul tap her shoulder and looked in the direction he was pointing, there she saw a yellow unicorn stallion. "Never mind..." The blue mare watched as he floated through a doorway and the two blue ponies followed. Soon they were in the basement of the manor and saw the ghost floating in front of the old boiler.

"Why did you bring us here Volek?" The ghost looked at Soul.

"Trixie's father locked the box that contains Badge in this boiler, I can not cross over until I am assured that Hex will get it." Trixie smiled, walked over, and unlocked the boiler. She opened it and pulled out a moderate sized, ornate, box. It depicted what looked like raccoons on the sides and carved into the top of the box was the name Badge. "Will you two take this to Hex? As the first male child of a second generation of the Setterwind family, it is his duty to guard the box..."

"Don't worry grandfather, I'll make sure that Hex gets it." The ghost smiled and faded away. Trixie looked at Soul and smiled. "We're done..." Soul smiled back.

"Should we stay the night here and head home in the morning?" Trixie smiled and nodded.


Trixie and Soul arrived home the next day and found Hex inside the house, playing with a fox. "Hey big sis! This fox followed me home, can we keep her? Please? I promise to take care of her!"

"I don't know..."

"Oh come on Trix, look I'll help Hex take care of her. Besides, it might be nice to have a pet, I mean all of the others have one..." Trixie thought for a second before sighing.

"Fine... But the two of you have to take care of her..." Hex and Soul smiled and gave each other a brohoof. The blue mare rolled her eyes. "Ok you two, we need to give her a name... How about Foxy?" Soul shook his head.

"Looks more like a Listet to me..."

"How about Le Petit Rouge?" Soul and Trixie turned their attention to Hex. "It's Prench for 'the little red one.'. It makes since, Rouge sounds female and she is a fox, which has red fur." Soul and Trixie looked at each other, smiled and nodded. Suddenly Trixie went wide eyed and pulled the box that she and Soul had found in the boiler out of her saddlebags.

"Hex, grandfather Volek told me that you need to guard this box, because as the first male child of a third generation of the Setterwind family, it is your duty and birthright to keep the demon that is bound inside this box, well, inside of this box." Trixie gave the box to Hex and watched as the colt set it down and gave them a salute.

"I'll do my best!" Hex ran off with Rouge and the box, he put the box in his room and the three blue unicorns then went to the Ponyville Pet Center, to get a collar and pet bed for Rouge.

That night Rouge was laying in her bed, then she smiled and looked out the window. "I finally found my master, now I'm a true familiar..." The fox looked at her tail and gave it a swish, causing a ball of green fire to appear. She smiled before laying her head down and drifting off to sleep. Little did she know, Hex had seen the entire thing, he saw that the fox was a familiar, a demon bound to serve their master until the day their master died. The only question was, which of the three unicorns in the house was her master?


The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows. ~ Stephen King.

PreviousChapters Next