• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 9,266 Views, 334 Comments

A Lost Soul Returns: The King of Monsters - Dark Star the Crazed



A statue in the castle of the royal pony sisters is like Discord. There is a living being trapped within, and he is set free.

  • ...
52
 334
 9,266

PreviousChapters Next
The Foal Shower.

Plenty sits still; hunger is a wanderer. ~ Zulu proverb.


One week later.

Fang and Twilight were in Sugar Cube Corner along with their friends, the elements' coltfriends, Twilight's parents, and the princesses. It was their foal shower. A strange thing had happened during the week that led up to the foal shower. Fang had not left the vicinity of the forest or town, yet he had managed to find a ghost who could represent the seventh sign of the Black Zodiac. He had chosen Zecora to represent the Pilgrimess.

It came as a shock to the monster queen when the zebra had entered the castle and requested to represent the seventh sign. Twilight had not even known that the mare was dead. That was when the zebra mare removed the rings from around her neck. There was a giant lump on the side of her throat. She had died due to cancer a hundred years ago. Twilight shook her head and banished the thoughts from her mind.

Pinkie Pie came out of the kitchen with a large cake. Fang smiled and looked at the crowd. "Ok everypony. There is a secret to this cake. Let's see who can figure it out first... Pinkie and Jekyll... You are not allowed to guess because you made the cake. Therefore you already know what the secret is." Everypony looked confused. Even Celestia and Luna. They had no idea how a cake could hold a secret. After the couple cut the cake and floated a piece over to everypony all was quiet for a few seconds.

"I got it!" Sunset's head shot up and she clapped her hooves together. "You're having a filly and a colt!" Everypony, besides Pinkie, Jekyll, Fang, and Twilight, gave her a confused look. "The cake itself has a mix of pink and blue filling. Common tradition states that a colt be wrapped in a blue blanket after birth and a filly be wrapped in pink." Everypony looked at Twilight and Fang to see if she was right. The two alicorns nodded and everypony gave a cheer.

Fang and Twilight kissed before the black alicorn sighed and looked out the window. His eyes went wide at what he saw. "F-father!?" Everypony's attention turned towards the window and blinked. There was nothing there.

Soul looked at his childhood friend and raised an eyebrow. "Fang... Are you ok dude? You just shouted father all of a sudden... Your father had been dead for fifteen thousand years... Are you going insane, or are you just seeing things?" Fang rapidly shook his head.

"I swear! My father was right outside the window! Well, at least a creature that looked like him was!" The swinging doors of the bakery shot open. The winds began to pick up and roar.

"What the hay? There weren't any fierce winds scheduled for today!" Rainbow shot up but was brought back to the ground by Soul.

"This isn't the work of a pony Rainbow... This is the work of a spirit." Soul glared at the doorway and the ponies in the room heard hoofsteps sound throughout the room. The lights began to flicker and Soul turned his gaze towards Fang. "Show yourself to us spirit!" The lights stopped working and the room turned dark. Seconds later a crack of thunder was heard, followed by a flash of lightning. The lights turned back on and everypony looked around the room. There was nothing there.

"Don't let me bother you. I was just coming to see what gender my grandfoals would be." Everypony looked towards the stairs. A grey mist in the form of a pony floated above the stairs. It then floated over to Fang and Twilight. "Hello my little one... I suppose this purple mare is my daughter in law yes?" Fang just nodded dumbly.

"Excuse me... Are you the spirit of Fang's father?" The whole room looked at Twilight and then the mist.

"Yes... I am..."

"Would you mind looking like a pony? I want to see the form of the pony who created my husband." The mist floated over to the largest open space in the room and stopped. Slowly the color of the cloud turned a dark grey, a black mane and tail grew from the mist, a pair of large bat wings sprouted, and two glowing, cat like eyes appeared. The cutie mark that formed on his flank was quite gruesome. It depicted a heart being ripped apart by the bare hooves of a pony. Everypony stared at the threshal stallion. His entire body was covered in large scars that were obviously battle scars. One such scar ran down his face and across his eye, which was completely grey because the wound had caused him to go blind in that eye. His right wing was torn to shreds and he was missing an ear. The threshal turned and looked at the large group.

"My name is Sangue, my son's name is Crimson Fang, Figlio di Sangue... A son that I have not seen in fifteen thousand years." He then turned, looked at Twilight, and sat down. "And I am the grandfather of your foals, and your father in law." The threshal gave a goofy smile.

"How come you chose this night to introduce yourself to our daughter? After she and your son were married and after he got her pregnant." Twilight's father and mother walked over to the threshal stallion.

The dead stallion blinked. "I had crossed over knowing that my son was safe... The reason I waited until today is because today is the day that I was brought back from the spirit world by a... You would not believe me if I told you."

"Try it. We have seen very weird things since Fang returned from his five thousand year imprisonment." The stallion blinked at the two unicorns.

"I was brought back into this existence by a rabbit made out of smoke... I don't know why... All he said was that my son was married, going to be a father in four months, and that Fang would need my help in six months... So I went where the rabbit told me to go... A building that looked like a gingerbread house in a town called Ponyville..."

Nightlight looked over his shoulder and pointed at Vul, who had come to the party with his, adoptive, mother, Sunset Shimmer. Right now the little, monkey tailed colt was drinking a juice box. "He used to be a demonic monkey twice my size... A rabbit made of smoke isn’t all that shocking… So try again." Nightlight looked back at the threshal stallion only to see that he had been talking the entire time.

"Weird thing is, when I asked him why he brought me back and told me about what was going to happen... All he said was 'We all have our part to play, and you will play the part of the Juggernaut.' Does that mean anything to any of you?" Everypony except for Cadence, Celestia, Luna, Twilight, Fang, and Soul shook their heads.

"Twelve..." Everypony turned to face the black alicorn stallion. "You are the twelfth sign... You are meant to play the part of the Juggernaut in the ritual to open the Eye of Tartarus... A way to unfathomable power..."

The threshal stallion's eyes went wide. "Now that sounds interesting... Well not as interesting as the fact that I am going to be a grandfather and that I already am a father in law but even still..."

"Father... Please stop talking..." The stallion glared at his son.

"Honor thy father and respect your elders. Now." The deceased stallion trotted over to Twilight and smiled. "I don't know much about you at the moment young one, but what I do know is that you will be an excellent mother."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Thanks but... How would you know?"

"Because you smile the same way that Scarlet did the whole time she was pregnant." Twilight blinked. "Scarlet was my wife and Fang's mother... She smiled like that the entire time she was pregnant, except for when she didn't, and everything turned out fine. I mean look at Fang he's..." The stallion paused in the middle of his sentence. After a few minutes the stallion gave a sheepish smile. "Ok maybe my son isn't the best example I could think up off the top of my head, but if he can land a nice young mare like you then there must be something good about him. Then again he did grow up from the age of twelve without a father, so there's the fact that he had to be a stallion from a very young age..." The threshal blinked and smiled again. "Anyway is there anything I need to know about you so that I do not offend you? I do not wish to see my daughter in law cry or be angry when I could have easily prevented it by saying something else and-" The stallion was shut up when a piece of cake flew into his mouth. The stallion quickly chewed up the cake and swallowed it. "Wow... That tasted great... And excuse me for not wanting to upset your wife by saying something that might offend her!" The stallion turned back into a mist and floated through the floor boards to the basement. He quickly floated back up, shouted something about an 'eight legged demon' and flew out the door.

Everypony turned and looked at Fang. He was just sitting there with his face pressed against the table. "It was like having a Pinkie Pie talking on each of my sides... I did that because I didn't want to go insane... Twilight? Remind me to buy some ear plugs..."

"Fang was it really necessary to throw your father out of our foal shower like that?" Fang sighed.

"I didn't throw him out... He'll get bored and come back in three, two, one."

"Hey everypony look what I found!" The threshal ghost flew back in holding what looked to be a purple and pink snake in his hooves. "Weird isn't it?" Everypony, except Fang, dove under the table. "What? It's not that strange is it?"

"Father... That is a Tatzlwurm larva. Turn around and go put it back where you found it... Or else I will not allow you to see your grandfoals. Ever." The stallion looked between the worm and his son before flying out the door. He came back a few minutes later and saw that everypony had gotten back up.

"Eh heh... Sorry... As you can probably well I'm easily excitable and will tend to talk a pony's ears off..." Everypony nodded in agreement with the stallion. "I am so very for interrupting the party I just wanted to know what gender my grandfoals were going to be. Now that I see the cake is both blue and pink, which means one of each, I will go." The ghost went to fly out the door but had his tail grabbed by the magic of the alicorns who sat at the end of the table. "Huh?"

"You are Fang's father. You are welcome to stay." Fang nodded in agreement with his wife.

"Really?" Twilight and Fang nodded. "Are you sure?" They both nodded again. "Well... If you insist... But I am not going sit at that table... No offense it is a really nice table... But the last time I sat at a table it turned to dust... Then again I did have Dragon's Breath Cough..." The stallion shook his head. "Anyway...“ He looked at Twilight. "What is your name young mare? After all you are my daughter in law so I cannot keep referring to you as 'mare'... Unless that is your name." Twilight giggled.

"Fang... You have quite the... Interesting father..." Fang just sighed and nodded his head. "Anyway Mr. Sangue. As you already know I am your son's wife, his queen, and the mother of his foals." Twilight smiled and placed a hoof on her stomach. "I am Queen Twilight Sparkle of Transylmaneia, formerly Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria."

"A princess eh? Never thought he would go for one of those... Was it an arranged marriage?" Twilight and Fang both shook their heads. "Good, you married out of love, not out of money... Though I bet the trade between the two kingdoms didn't hurt did it?" Fang groaned and placed his head on the table. "Now don't be like that... Ok I'll change the subject. Have you thought up any names for the little ones?" Fang's head shot up and he smiled.

Twilight smiled and placed a hoof on her stomach. "We were thinking that our daughter's name should be Harmony Dawn... Because if it weren't for the Elements of Harmony, then I would never have met my friends, never have become a princess, and never would have met Fang... As for the colt..."

"Dusk Shadow... Because if it were not for Soul, I would have given up on life a long time ago. He was my only anchor to this world for over ten thousand years, my metaphorical light in the darkness... As such I feel that my son should be given a name to honor him, slightly at least." Soul just blinked at Fang.

"Dude... That's deep... Are you drunk? I've never heard you be so... Deep, unless your blood alcohol level is five times over the legal limit..." Fang glared at the shade.

"It is called being philosophical, and I am philosophical all the time thank you very much! When I am drunk I pick fights and talk to chairs!" Everypony blinked. "The second part of my statement about when I am drunk does not leave this room... Understand?" Everypony quickly nodded knowing that the black alicorn would not let them leave until they agreed. "Good."

The sudden sound of laughter caught the pony’s attention. "Fine names, fine names for a filly and colt. Fine reasoning too!" Fang's eyes went wide.

"That sounds like..." A large cloud of smoke formed and a rabbit appeared. "Lepus..." The rabbit turned and gave the black alicorn a cruel smile.

"Six months until you die Monster King... I hope you will be a good father for the two months you will have remaining after the little ones are born..." Fang picked up a knife and threw it at the rabbit, only for it to go straight through him. "You can't cut smoke!" The knife flew back and impaled Fang in the chest. The black alicorn didn't even flinch. "But you can cut flesh!" The rabbit disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Twilight pulled the knife from her husband's chest and cast a healing spell on him.

"Fang are you alright?" The black alicorn smiled at the mare, nuzzled her neck, and gave her a small nip on the ear.

"The only thing that was injured was my pride." Twilight smiled and nuzzled herself into Fang's side. She smile widened when she felt him wrap a wing around her.

"Hey Fang?" The black alicorn looked at his wife. "If your father is a threshal... How come you have feathery wings?" Fang chuckled.

"I don't. The feathery ones are just an illusion. I do not wish for my subjects to respect me out of fear, but rather what I have done for them. The leathery wings of a bat or dragon are commonly associated with evil or fear. As such I hide the true form of my wings so as not to strike fear into the hearts of my subjects." Twilight thought for a second before nodding in acceptance.

"I guess that makes sense. If I saw the shadow of a dragon, even a teenage one, on the ground below me I would probably be scared as well... Speaking of fear... I don't think I've ever seen you afraid of anything..." There was a laugh from the ghost in the corner.

"That is because when he was younger, my son used to wrestle Chimera and hunt Chupacabra for fun!" Fluttershy gasped and glared at Fang who just whistled a merry tune in response. "I remember this one time when he forced an Ursa Major back into its cave..." Trixie gasped and looked at Fang who face hoofed.

"One. I didn't force it back into its cave, I coerced it back into its cave. Two it was an Ursa Minor that had lost its mother and was sad... I do not like to see young ones of any species sad..." Trixie and Twilight both glared at Fang's father.

"Oh yeah... I get confused sometimes... I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed... But there was that time you made a suit of armor from a Scorpio's shell." Fluttershy gasped and looked at Fang.

"How could you!?" Fang gave a growl in response.

"It tried to devour an entire village, almost killed me, twice, and that Scorpio just happens to be the reason that Firefly is dead!" Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

"Firefly? As in General Firefly? As in founder of the Wonderbolts General Firefly?" Fang nodded. "Just how old are you?"

"He is older than me Rainbow Dash." Rainbow looked at Celestia and let her jaw drop.

"What? But... How!? Twilight! Did you know he was older than the princess when you married him!?" Twilight giggled and nodded.

"He told me on our third date. I was shocked at first but I still loved him." The mare turned and gave her husband a kiss on the cheek. Fang saw the look on Rainbow's face and chuckled.

"I was in my fifties before Celestia and Luna were born... So I'm at least fifty years older than Celestia... Firefly was a friend of mine... In fact she taught me how to fly." Rainbow was in Fang's face in seconds.

"You have to teach me some of her moves!" Fang blinked.

"She only taught me the basics..." Dash frowned and flew back to her seat. "Wait! I remember one technique she used! She was able to... I guess you could say, light her wings on fire, that's how she got the name Firefly." Dash looked at Fang and raised an eyebrow. "If you don't believe me then I will show you." Everypony nodded thinking it was a nice idea. Fang walked into the street and looked at everypony before turning to Dash. "Do exactly as I do." Dash nodded and watched as Fang ran down the street and took off before turning around, going low to the ground, and scraping the tips of his feathers on the ground, the resulting friction resulted in the black alicorn's wings being lit aflame. He soared through the sky and landed next to Twilight, smiled, blew on his wings, and folded them up. They surprisingly were not burned at all. "Cool thing about that trick is that it doesn't damage the wings." He smiled and looked at Dash. "Now you try. Just run the tips of your feathers across the ground and you will have fire."

"Got it!" Rainbow turned around and ran off exactly like Fang had. Once she turned around she flew close to the ground and bent her wings the way Fang had. She was amazed that a sudden heat surrounded her, and turned to see that her wings were alight with rainbow colored flames. She smiled, turned, and flew into the air. She flew at top speed and wrote her name with the flames, as if she was using a sparkler. After a few minutes she flew back to the ground, landed, blew on her wings, and folded them up. "That. Was. Awesome! But... Now I'm really tired. Can't wait to show this to the other Wonderbolts though... Hey I never did invite all of you to see one of our shows did I?" Everypony shook their heads no. "Well you are all invited to the next show. It's in Canterlot."

"The technique takes a lot out of you." Fang heard a yawn and turned to see Twilight with her head on his shoulder. "Tired?" The purple mare nodded and the black alicorn turned towards the crowd. "I am sorry but we must depart for the night. We had a wonderful time at the party." Fang looked around and saw that somepony was missing. A certain grey alicorn filly. Fang slowly walked over towards Sugar Cube Corner and popped his head inside. He smiled when he saw Ana, covered with crumbs of cookies and cake, sleeping on the table next to the bowl of punch. "Ana... It's time to go home..." The little filly opened her eyes and yawned before closing them and going back to sleep. Fang chuckled and floated the little filly over with his magic. Once she was on his back he felt the little filly wrap her forelegs around his neck. The black and purple alicorns turned and walked away.

"Is she yours?" Fang looked at his father and nodded. "She is simply adorable." Fang smiled at his father. "Blood or adoption?"

"Adoption... She and I were very close, so close that she started calling me Cousin Fang. According to Twilight I never acted like her cousin. I acted like her father..." Fang smiled and his father smiled back.

"You truly love her as if she was your own don't you?" Fang nodded. "Twilight... Do you love her? I mean truly love her? Did you marry her because you loved her, or because it would benefit your kingdom?" Fang stopped in his tracks and Twilight looked up at Fang to see how her husband was going to respond.

"Let me put it this way father..." Fang looked down at the purple mare and nuzzled her neck. "Before I met Twilight... I wasn't even sure if I could feel love." Twilight giggled and let out another yawn.

"That is good to know... Now... Tell me about this Eye of Tartarus." The two stallions spent the night talking while Twilight and Ana slept.


Beyond the East the sunrise, beyond the West the sea, and the East and West, wander the thirst that will not let me be. ~ Gerald Gould.

PreviousChapters Next