• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 853 Views, 28 Comments

Pony Fantasy VI: The War of Chaos - BeanyOne



Novelization of the Pony Fantasy VI romhack.

  • ...
0
 28
 853

Chapter 2: Reunion

"Well, here we are!" Celestia proclaimed cheerily as the trio approached a rather large cave entrance and dismounted their Chocobos.

Twilight stared at the cave entrance, perplexed. "And...where is 'here,' exactly?"

"This is the famous Canterlot Cave, the pass that connects Canterlot Castle to Canterlot City. It's a very important thoroughfare," Celestia rattled off with rehearsed enthusiasm. Applebloom pantomimed a gag as Celestia continued to ramble about the historical importance of the cave, prompting a stifled giggle from Twilight.

A solder and his Chocobo were stationed at the entrance to the cave. Upon sighting Celestia, he stood at attention and saluted. "Ma'am! Nopony has been through here since we got word that you had fled the castle."

Celestia nodded. "Canterlot thanks you for your diligence. We must pass through now, but I have a task for you. Go inform the residents of Canterlot Castle that we are safe, and make sure they are prepared to deal with an Imperial incursion. I fear this is not the last we have seen of them."

The soldier saluted again. "Ma'am!" He then proceeded to mount his Chocobo and ride back in the direction that Canterlot Castle stood prior to sinking beneath the ground.

Celestia turned to her traveling companions. "Well then, shall we be off? It's only a short trek through the cave, but I'd like to get to Canterlot City as soon as possible. We don't know how quickly the Empire will be chasing after us."

As they walked through the cave, Twilight began to shiver. Her heart was racing, and she was having trouble breathing. Celestia glanced over to notice that the unicorn was frantically looking all around, and she placed a comforting hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "Twilight, what's wrong? Don't tell me you're claustrophobic, are you?"

Twilight shuddered. "N-no, not particularly. This cave just reminds me of those horrible Neighshe mines. I feel like we're going to be ambushed if I don't keep looking everywhere."

Celestia tousled Twilight's mane. "We said we were going to protect you, and I'm not one to back down on my word. Besides, we're not in Neighshe. Canterlot City may not exactly be a military force, but I don't think they'd just let the Empire have their run of these caves. We shouldn't run into any real trouble."

Applebloom checked out the side passages. "Are you sure we shouldn't be checkin' out some o'these side areas? I know we're in a hurry to get to Canterlot City, but it feels like we could explore a bit."

Celestia shook her head. "This trip is not for fun, Applebloom. I know the quickest way through the cave, and I'd prefer if we took it. Maybe when this is all over, I'll take you up on that exploration offer."

They passed by a stream that ran through the cave. "Hey, I just realized how thirsty I am," Twilight said, seemingly having calmed down at the sight of running water. She bent down by the stream to drink, splashing her face with the cool, refreshing water as she did so.

Celestia decided to join her. "Yes, one of the best things about Canterlot Cave is its refreshing spring water. Every time I take a sip, I feel rejuvenated." Celestia made a mental note to start an operation selling the spring water to rich ponies in Canterlot to fund repairs to her castle.

Twilight finished up with the drink, then turned to Celestia. "I've decided. I will trust you both to protect me until we reach our destination. But I feel like I should ask what you feel that I can do? If I do help you, is there really any way I can be of use?"

Celestia nodded solemnly. "What my compatriots will ask of you is not going to be easy, but I fear it's the only option left to us. Not only are you the only pony we know that can use real magic, but you have some connection to the Espers, or at least to the one in Neighshe. We do not have nearly the horsepower necessary to stop the Empire from doing what they please by ourselves. We need you to talk to the Esper in Neighshe and see if there's any way we can use its power to stop the Empire."

Twilight thought about this for a moment. "Princess Celestia, I'm not sure I can do that. I'm not sure I want to do that. The last time I tried to do that, I almost lost control of my body. I'm frightened of what might happen if I try again, and I'm frightened of this power I seem to have. What if I hurt somepony? How could I live with myself if I-"

"That's enough," Celestia interrupted. "This is a big decision, and I don't expect you to make it immediately. Think it over, meet with our leader, and then maybe you'll have a better idea of what you want to do."

"Yeah! We don't wanna force ya to do anythin' ya don't wanna do," Applebloom added. "If ya do choose to talk to the Esper, we'll support ya and protect ya. You have mah promise!" Applebloom did a little pose to show she was serious.

Twilight smiled. "Well, okay. I'll think about it. I'm just glad you two are calling me 'friend.' Everypony else seems to think I'm just...just a tool."

"Well, we can talk about that later. The exit's just up ahead, and I'd like to hit Canterlot City's bar before we hit the hay tonight." Celestia waved them forward, and they walked towards the bright light leading outside.


Canterlot City's bustling plaza came into view. Twilight could not remember the last time she'd seen such a large, busy city. There were foals playing in the streets, vendors yelling from their storefronts, and tipsy ponies wandering out of the local pub shortly before collapsing on the cobblestone. It was a far cry from the harsh, freezing town square of Neighshe, and it certainly helped that there weren't any guards trying to capture her for crimes she couldn't even remember committing.

Twilight noticed Celestia and Applebloom making a beeline for the bar, so she quickly followed so as not to get left behind. Inside, there were quite a few questionable-looking individuals, and Twilight wasn't sure she wanted to stick around for very long. Celestia had already sat down at a table and started downing shots of apple whiskey. She turned to Twilight with an unusually cheery grin plastered on her face. "Come on, Twilight! Live it up! You're only young once!" she exclaimed with unusual candor.

Twilight blinked vacantly before responding. "U-um, that's okay. I think I'll pass," she responded nervously.

Celestia scoffed. "Ah, whatever. More for me." She started rapping the table with her hoof impatiently. "Hey! Another round over here!"

Applebloom dragged Twilight away, sighing. "Don't pay her any mind, Twilight. Ah can't make heads nor tails o'her when she gets like this."

Twilight grimaced. "Is she really a princess? I don't recall ever hearing about royalty guzzling whiskey..."

"Well, Ah'm sure Ah don't have to inform ya that she's not yer typical princess. She wasn't always like that, though. Seems like when her sister left, she started changin'. Now she flirts with everypony she meets, drinks heavily whenever she gets the chance, and really doesn't act like you'd expect a princess to act."

Twilight nodded. I wonder if she's just masking her pain? she pondered.

Looking up, Twilight noticed a strange mare with a buttery coat and a silky straight pink mane sitting at the barstools. Nearby was a cute-looking bunny with a vicious scowl who appeared to be growling at nearby patrons. Twilight felt compelled to pet the bunny despite its obstinate demeanor, but Applebloom held her back. "Wait, Twilight! Ah know who that is!"

Twilight glanced at Applebloom. "You do? Should we talk to her?"

Applebloom shook her head. "There have been stories. Stories of a mare who is as deadly as she is beautiful, as vicious as she is quiet. They call her Fluttershy, and Ah swear Ah remember hearing she had a pet that could stand hoof-to-hoof with one of the Empire's best."

Twilight stared at the bunny in disbelief. "Surely you don't mean that cute little bunny?! What could he possibly do?"

"Do ya really wanna find out?" Applebloom retorted dourly. "Ah think it's best if we don't spend too much time in here. Let's go check in at the inn, since our princess is in another castle."

Twilight nodded in acknowledgement. Bars were certainly not her scene, and she was exhausted anyway. There was no telling what the next day would bring, so she followed Applebloom next door to the inn.


"Oi, barkeep! What kind of joint are you running here?!" Celestia demanded, half a dozen empty shot glasses before her.

The stallion at the bar eyed her flushed face. "Don't you think you've had enough? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to cut you off."

Celestia spat on the ground beside her. "Don't you know who I am?! I'm the-the prinshesh!" She stood up rapidly, then stumbled over backwards into one of the nearby tables and crashed to the floor. The shattering table drew the attention of the other patrons, who backed off slowly as a couple of bouncers picked her up bodily and threw her out the front door into the street. Celestia muttered an unintelligible curse before passing out.

A small bunny cautiously bounced up to where the mare had blacked out, looking around to see if anypony was watching. Satisfied that nopony seemed to be paying them any mind, he started dragging Celestia tail-first towards an obscured alleyway. The lone door in the alley opened, and a yellow hoof beckoned for the bunny.

Helping the small bunny drag the much larger mare in, the yellow pegasus quickly shut the door behind them and peeked out a tiny slat to be sure nopony had followed them. Breathing a sigh of relief, she grabbed a nearby bucket of water and splashed Celestia's face with it. The freezing water shocked her awake, and she sputtered and kicked as she came to her senses.

"O-oh dear, I'm sorry to wake you so rudely. Are you okay?" the pegasus timidly asked, her voice gentle and sweet.

Celestia looked around, then clutched her head in pain. "Oh dear...I think I may have overdone it at the bar. I hope I haven't put off poor Twilight by my behavior." Opening her eyes, she finally noticed the pegasus in front of her. "Oh, I do apologize! Were you the one who carried me out of that dreadful street corner?"

"U-um, I did, if that's okay..." the mare whimpered, trailing off. "I'm sorry, I just heard you say you were a princess in there. Is that true?"

Celestia was picking herself up off the ground and preening some feathers that had jostled loose in the bar confusion. "Why, yes, I am, but I wasn't sure if anypony believed me with how boorish I was acting. Again, I'm very sorry," she added.

The mare shook her head. "No, no, it's okay...but I think I heard of somepony who lives in a cottage north of here, near Mt. Colts, who was talking about her long-lost sister being a princess."

Celestia narrowed her eyes. Could it really be true? "Are you sure you've heard correctly? I am heading towards Mt. Colts anyway, and if what you say is true, perhaps I will need to make a stop..."

"Oh, and I think your friends went to the inn. You should probably meet them there," the pegasus added, averting her gaze. "Angel Bunny can lead you there, but I'm afraid I can't help you any more than that."

Celestia turned the mare's cheek so they were face-to-face. "Whoever you are, you've been a great help to me. Please take care of yourself. I would like to visit you again the next time I'm passing through and repay the favor somehow."

Celestia exited the small room, stumbling half-drunk towards the impatient little bunny that was leading her to the inn. The mare said nothing, merely waiting until the princess was out of earshot before whimpering to herself.


"Good morrrrning, everypony!" Celestia shouted, rousing her companions from their slumber.

Applebloom rubbed her eyes groggily, then shoved a pillow onto her face, whining. "Aw, come on! It's too early. Ah'm gonna get another hour o'sleep."

"No time. I think I finally have a lead on my sister's whereabouts, and I'll be bucked if I don't check it out immediately. That means you're coming with me, Applebloom. It's on the way to Mt. Colts anyway, and we need to hook up with the New Lunar Republic again." Celestia drew the shades, revealing the morning sun and blinding Applebloom.

Twilight giggled, then continued eating her wheat bagel she'd picked up for breakfast. Applebloom groaned and accompanied Twilight at the table, mumbling under her breath about princesses and alcohol.

Celestia placed her bag of bits on the table and began counting out how much she had left. "We're going to rent some Chocobos and ride up to a cottage near Mt. Colts. Somepony informed me that there's a good chance we'll run into my dear sister there, and we could use all the help we could get, frankly."

"All right, all right, just...somepony get me some coffee. Ah'm not a mornin' pony," groaned Applebloom, eyes half-lidded and face drooping.

"Uhm, Princess Celestia? What was your sister like, anyway?" inquired Twilight. "I had heard a little about her, but I figured you would know better than anypony."

Celestia frowned. "Luna was such a naïve little filly when we were growing up. It was rather endearing; I could tell her just about any story and she'd believe me. We were very close. One day, however, our father, the king, took deathly ill. Even with as ill as he was, he continued to overwork himself with his royal political duties. Rumors began circulating of a coronation to replace him. My sister was having none of it. She reasoned that the only way somepony could help their subjects is to become strong enough to fight on his or her own merit. Luna left one night to become stronger, vowing that someday we would reunite and that she would use her training to better serve Canterlot." Celestia took a deep, solemn breath before continuing. "I'm not proud of it, but I changed that day. I could not take the separation from my sister compounded with the pressure of my new position. It's been far too long, and I will stop at nothing to see her beautiful face once more."

Applebloom had gone into the other room while Celestia was telling her story. The sounds of guzzling could be heard, followed by a pot slamming onto the counter. Applebloom walked back into the room with her traveling companions, eyes wide and twitching. "All right, let's go! Ah feel like Ah could run a mareathon!"

Twilight and Celestia arose from the table, and they exited the inn, heading for the Chocobo stables. Celestia bade the others wait outside while she paid for their Chocobo. Applebloom continued to twitch, making Twilight very uncomfortable. "Um, Applebloom?" she asked nervously. "What exactly did you drink in there?"

"Oh, me? Nothing much. Just a whole pot o'Mareabica coffee. Lemme tell ya, they got some niiiice stuff in there-"

Twilight stuck a hoof in the hyperactive mare's mouth. "Okay, I get the picture. You'll stunt your growth, you know."

Applebloom glowered at Twilight. "Ah'm not a filly, dangit! Why does everypony treat me like one?!"

"Oh! No, I didn't mean it like that!" Twilight replied hastily. "I just meant I don't think drinking that much coffee is good for you."

Before Applebloom could respond, three Chocobos trotted out of the stables, with Celestia riding the lead one. "Mount up, girls!" she commanded. "We have quite a bit of ground to cover, so we'd better get going!"

With the trio aboard their mounts, they left Canterlot City and headed north.


Sure enough, at the foothills of Mt. Colts there stood a solitary cottage. Their Chocobos dutifully returned to the stables from whence they came upon being dismounted, and Celestia walked up to the door and knocked. The door nudged slightly, indicating it had already been open. Celestia glanced back at Applebloom, who simply shrugged.

Celestia pushed the door open and led them all inside. The cottage was dark and empty. As they entered the cottage, a fragrant aroma filled the air. Celestia glanced over to the table near the entrance. There was a lone cactus in a pot with a beautiful, fragrant flower blooming atop its stalk. The flower seemed to be glowing with an almost ethereal light. Celestia gasped. "That flower...that's her favorite." She rushed through the cottage, examining the various bric-a-brac displayed. "This, that...even her favorite tea. She had to have been here recently! My sister, it truly is you!"

Twilight looked around. "But if she was here recently, where could she have gone? That tea smells fresh. She must have left in a hurry."

Celestia sighed. "Yeah, she probably did. With no leads on where she's gone, I guess we should continue through Mt. Colts. We don't have the time for a wild goose chase." As she turned to exit the cottage, Celestia took one last look around. "Luna...where could you be?"


Mt. Colts was the smallest of the peaks in the mountain range bounding Canterlot to the north. It functioned as a pass through the range, but few ponies used it. There wasn't much on the other side of the mountain worth seeing, and the mountain itself didn't grant many picturesque vistas. In fact, it was little more than an ugly series of cliff faces, and the taller mountains on either side narrowed the view considerably. Regardless, it was the only way to reach the New Lunar Republic's current hideout, so Twilight, Celestia, and Applebloom ventured forth into the cave that marked the beginning of the pass.

The trio hadn't said much to each other since leaving the cottage. Twilight and Applebloom reasoned that Celestia was distraught over not being able to meet with her sister, so they didn't press the issue. In the silence, all they could hear was the wind blowing through the cave. With the twists and turns, the wind whistled and gusted, producing an almost eerie melody. Twilight couldn't shake the feeling that something about the situation didn't feel right, but she dismissed it as another case of remembering the mines of Neighshe.

As they exited the first cave, the path twisted around the edge of the mountain. In the distance, there seemed to be a silhouette of a pony, too indistinct to make out. Celestia squinted as the shadow seemed to disappear around the bend. "Luna...? Is that you?!" She broke into a gallop, forcing the other two to try to keep up.

Rounding the corner, Celestia stopped, causing Twilight to plow headfirst into her side. The two tumbled down the mountain into a heap at the bottom of the path. Applebloom rushed to the aid of the two ponies, who were beginning to pick themselves up. Celestia began to dust herself off. "My, Twilight, if I didn't know any better I'd say you were very eager to get to know me better," she said, causing Twilight to turn scarlet.

"N-no! I mean, what I mean to ask is...why'd you stop?" Twilight replied hastily, trying to cover her face with her hooves.

Celestia looked around. "That pony, that had to have been Luna! When I rounded the corner, though, I didn't see anything. Tell me, you saw her too, right?!" Twilight and Applebloom nodded in response. "Where did that pony go?!"

Applebloom sighed. "Ah don't know, but Ah'd like to keep movin'. We're not quite through the mountain yet." She pointed towards a cave opening ahead. "That should be the last cave in the pass. We should be at the NLR hideout soon."

Before they could reach the tunnel, however, a green mare jumped in front of them from seemingly nowhere and blocked their path. She wore a red headband and a derisive smirk. "Who are you, more of Luna's precious rebels?"

Celestia grew indignant. "You know my sister?! What have you done to her, you fiend?!"

The mare simply shrugged. "I didn't do anything. She left after she learned of Master Greymane's passing. I am Greymane's daughter, Banner, and all of Equestria shall know the fury of my iron hoof!"

With no further warning, Banner adopted a martial arts stance, taunting the three to attack. Celestia grew enraged, charging headlong at the green pony. "Give me back my sister, you uncouth wretch!"

Banner simply sidestepped her reckless charge, bucking her hard in the stomach. Celestia collapsed to the ground and began to writhe in pain, prompting Twilight to gasp and run to her side to soothe her wounds with magic. Banner turned to Applebloom. "You're next, Blank Flank. I'm gonna grind you all up and spit out the remains, then I'm gonna do the same for your friends at your stupid hideout!"

Applebloom nervously readied herself to fight, pulling out her repeating crossbow. She hesitantly loaded some bolts, but was unsure whether she should fire. Nopony moved for a few seconds. Suddenly, Banner started rushing impossibly fast towards Applebloom. Agh! She's too fast! was the only thing she had time to think before she was headbutted to the ground. Banner smirked, then kissed her hoof and closed her eyes. She raised her hoof, then proceeded to bring it down to strike Applebloom.

"HALT, VILLAIN! STAY THINE HOOF!" An extraordinarily loud shout pierced the scene, causing Banner to hesitate. Before she could locate the source of the shout, a dark-blue coated mare kicked her square in the jaw with her powerful legs. The mare stood between Banner and the trio protectively.

Banner spit out some blood, then glowered at her adversary. "Luna! So nice of you to show up. Now I can take care of all of you at once."

Luna remained unfazed. "Why hast thou gone against Greymane's wishes?! You were to be her heir!"

"Don't give me that hogwash! You know as well as I do Master Greymane was grooming you to inherit her secret technique! She chose YOU over her own flesh and blood!" Banner began charging up energy in her forelegs.

"Nay, 'twas not so! She truly wished for thee to inherit the spirit of the dojo, Master Banner!"

"SHUT UP! This is what I think of you and all your stupid friends!" With that, Banner unleashed the energy she was gathering, unleashing a withering torrent of wind that blew back the other three into a heap behind her.

Luna braced herself, barely able to withstand the sheer force Banner exerted. "Nay...she is beyond saving, and we must protect our friends. Master Greymane! Please forgive us for what we are about to do!"

Banner smirked. "What can you possibly do?! I will enjoy pounding you pathetic ponies into a pulp!" She raised a hoof, taunting Luna. "Come now, let's see what you've got!"

Luna merely took a deep breath, concentrating. When her eyes reopened, they were full of focused purpose. She rushed to Banner so quickly, the latter could not even register movement. "TEITETSU!" bellowed Luna, proceeding to pummel Banner with a flurry of rapid hoofbeats.

Banner staggered backwards, barely clinging to consciousness. "I-inconceivable! To think you had already progressed so far in your training...LUNAAAA!" she screamed before collapsing to the ground.

Luna calmed herself, then stood over her fallen opponent. "That word...We do not think it means what you think it means."

"Luna! Sister! Is it truly you?!" exclaimed Celestia, barely able to stand.

Luna gasped and turned around. "Celestia?! We did not realize you were here!"

Luna ran to her sister's side, and they embraced each other tearfully. "Sister! It has been so long! Too long! We were going to return to Canterlot soon to see thine princessdom once more!" Luna exclaimed.

Celestia tousled her younger sister's mane. "Our princessdom, Luna. It's your home, too. Oh, how I have missed you these many years. You've become so strong...so much stronger than me."

Luna broke off the embrace. "What brings you out here, anyway? Are you all journeying to the New Lunar Republic hideout?" The group nodded. "Well then, allow us to accompany thee! We shall act as thine divine hoof, punishing evildoers and righting wrongs-"

Celestia laughed. "Still as idealistic as ever, aren't you? It's good to have you back."

Luna's face wore a flustered pout. "A-ah?! What's wrong with that?!"

The other three enjoyed a good laugh while Luna fumed. Something was still bothering Applebloom, however.

"What's wrong, Applebloom?" Twilight asked, noticing the treasure hunter's pained expression.

"We need to hurry, everypony. Did you hear what that pony said?! The Empire must know where the hideout is!" Applebloom replied.

Nodding grimly, Celestia led the group through the final pass. The hideout awaited just across from the pass, on the other side of the mountain range. What they would find when they got there, nopony knew.

Author's Note:

Yeah, I'm a slow writer. I took a few "creative liberties" here and I'm not sure how well they paid off, but I hope it proves more interesting than a straight rewrite of the plot. Either way, I hope you enjoyed the chapters thus far.