• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 2,171 Views, 61 Comments

Last Lights Falling - Kalros



PonyEarthVerse: Stranded in the middle of nowhere in the body of a power hungry mare. Where did i go wrong?

  • ...
9
 61
 2,171

Solar Wind

I ate the breakfast.

I know how strange that may seem. After all, Discord himself cooked it. But after spending fifteen minutes straight magically probing it for any sign of chaos magic or any sort of tampering, I came up with nothing. And to be perfectly honest, I’m not one to let food go to waste.

I spent the next couple hours reviewing the new set of memories I had been given. Jean lived an interesting life, somewhat similar to my own now that I was able to see it in detail. We both were raised by our fathers, both had seen much of the world, and both had ambitious goals. Thankfully the similarities ended there.

As I tried to rearrange my mind I also decided to finish watching the show. (The password to his computer was ‘perogies’, after a human dish I had yet to try. Thankfully his memories indicated there was a container full of them in the fridge which I had for dinner later on.) Most of it bored me. What interest did I have in a group of fillies trying and failing to get their cutiemarks. Nor did I really care about what most of the element bearers did. What interested me most were the season finale and opening for season 2.

It was interesting to see how Discord liked to do things; overconfident, playing others against each other. I’m surprised he even entertained giving the elements a chance to assemble; but then again, it’s chaos. Nothing he does should make much sense.

The changeling queen (Why didn’t she get named during the episode?) really grabbed my attention. As I had mentioned to Jean earlier they were mostly just a myth. Creatures’ parents often used to scare foals into behaving. Suddenly Discord’s ramblings made some sense. The changeling queen was on the planet, and Discord had approached her with an offer. I wasn’t sure if I should feel honored or worried though that he lumped me in with the Changeling Queen. Chrissy I think he called her. Probably some pet name, Queen Chrissy of the changelings doesn’t exactly instil fear in the hearts of your enemies.

It was about mid afternoon when my mind finally calmed down. Jean’s memories were like a book I could open and review whenever I wanted, but at the same time they didn’t mix with my own. It seemed like whatever Discord did it didn’t cause me to start questioning my identity.

“J’espère que ça continue comme ça…” I said quietly to myself in broken Prench (Or French I suppose). I was hardly fluent in the language like Jean was. But I could understand, and speak it. I wondered if I would get to keep it once this was all over. Not the memories but the skills. It was rather convenient that in the space of a day I learned a completely new language.

Besides French, I now knew how to drive a vehicle, scuba dive, and pilot an aircraft. None of which I could see myself using but… Skills are skills. Since I didn’t actually have to spend the time to learn them myself I was more than happy to take them.

To be honest, this transferring of abilities got me thinking about figuring out a way to apply it in day to day life. Unfortunately, I barely knew any mental related spells, nor did I ever have any interest in them. Most of what was taught at the school was limited to helping others remember, or finding specific memories. I was most interested in influencing the thoughts of other ponies, getting them to do as I wish. (Apparently that’s a bad thing…)

Skills and memories aside I finally got around to figuring out what I needed to do. I was obviously bound for New York. My chances of intercepting Twilight before she got there were… Slim. Besides, apparently she was already in the area, if that new report was to be believed. I had nothing against the mare, she was my replacement, the new tool Celestia needed since I wouldn’t dance to her tune. What I wanted was the Element of Magic. I doubt the unicorn fully understood the power that lay untapped within it, the power I had spent years trying to understand so I might unlock it for myself.

After a couple minutes searching the internet, and then looking for Jean’s wallet, I managed to book a flight leaving at about noon tomorrow, with a lay-over in someplace called Edmonton, and another in Montreal. So long as everything went according to plan id be in New York just after midnight on… Threesday?

It took me a moment to realize that the name wasn’t on purpose. Jeans memories indicated that sometime last week the rest of the calendar had changed, extending this week into a whole year somehow. Sounds like something Discord would do. No matter. Two days from now I’d be in New York. What could possibly go wrong?


“WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY PASSPORT IS INVALID?!?!” I yelled, ignoring the stares and worried looks from the passengers around me as I waved the document around in my magic.
“It says right here! Jean Claude Veilleux! THAT’S ME!”

You have got to be kidding me! The last couple hours were mostly uneventful. Despite being the only pony on each flight, I was mostly ignored by the other passengers on my way to Edmonton. Once there, I only had a couple minutes to catch my next flight so I managed to avoid idle chitchat with random people curious about me. (And avoid the little girl that wanted to make me her personal cushion).

The flying itself was rather uneventful. It wasn’t the first time I’d flown; as a pony I’d gotten the chance to ride with Celestia in her carriages when she wanted to show me something or I asked to tag along. Flying in an aircraft was much more boring by comparison, although Jean’s knowledge of how they worked kind of reduced my boredom. The flight attendants seemed more than happy to give me space and since the plane was not full no human’s wanted to sit beside me. (It was amusing to see them freak out when I used magic to maintain the size charm on my clothing. You’d think I was going to blow up the plane or something.)

“Mam, I don’t make policy. Unless you get an updated passport from the embassy. we cannot allow you through customs. Not unless you’re one of the…” she pauses for a moment to think. “Elements of Harmony. Now please calm down or I’ll have security escort you out.”

I was so close! Why was it only here, at customs, that my identity became a problem?!? The only exception was the elements?

“Listen miss…” I pause to look at the name tag, before putting on my most ‘desperate’ face, “Mackenzie. I need to get to New York. Everypony is going to be there an-“

“I can’t bend the rules. Sorry. Next!” And just like that I was stuck. Giving the woman behind the glass an angry glare I marched off towards the entrance and stared out at the traffic. It was getting late, nearly 9 o’clock. Letting out a sigh I took a look around the entrance, ignoring the stares of all the humans yet again. Heading over to a restaurant labeled ‘Tim Hortons’ I, after grabbing myself a vegetarian sandwich, opened my laptop to try and get an idea of what my options were.

It didn’t take long.

After seeing just how close Montreal was to New York (6 hours driving) I started to formulate a new approach for the city. It was clear I was going to have to hop the border illegally. Not that I had a problem with that. Jean’s passport was useless, and unless I could impersonate one of the element bearers I was out of luck. Sighing, I made a note to do some research on illusion magic when I got the chance.

Instead it seemed I would be staying the night in Montreal. Tomorrow I would take a bus or taxi to a town near the border, afterwards it would just be a matter of trudging through the forest. Maybe some teleportation if I got caught but I doubt that would be an issue. Jean’s memories seemed to indicate that the border between the two nations was extremely low on security, and I doubt they were sufficient to stop a magical prodigy like myself.

What came after though? I suppose I could just call a taxi when I crossed over. Or even better; buy myself a car. Jean had a sizable portion of money saved up. I’m sure he wouldn’t notice. And if he did ill just toss him a few bits or gems after I get back to Equestria and separated from him. It’s funny how much value humans place in those items which could be found easily back home.

Closing the laptop, I tossed out the sandwich wrapper and proceed to the exit. Pausing to buy a bus ticket to get downtown. It’s almost nine o’clock, and I figure I should get a night’s sleep before continuing on tomorrow. Besides, after combing through Jean’s knowledge of the city I think I’ll take the opportunity to do a bit of shopping, get some fancy food, and spend some of his money.

“Ticket?” I’m snapped out of my thoughts and float over the stub. He just stares at it like it’s poison and I roll my eyes.

“It’s not going to hurt you,” I mutter in irritation, causing him to scowl and take it. A moment later I take the stub, smirking as he withdraws his hand as if the piece of paper might burst into flame. “D-don’t go casting any big stuff on my bus ok?” he adds, as if trying to save face. Rolling my eyes just move into the aisle, and frown as I see that almost every place is taken. And those that don’t have someone sitting by the window. Suddenly I’m regretting not taking a taxi.

“Oo! Oo! You can sit with me! “ a voice calls out from the back, sitting there is a young looking man sporting a shirt with… Was that Rainbow Dash?

Giving a sigh I make my way over and take a seat. At least he looked happy to see me, unlike the others that were either, afraid, confused, or irritated by my presence.

“Oh wow! I… You’re a pony!” Yep. Really wishing I took a taxi now. For a moment I consider just teleporting away but the bus jerks into motion and I don’t want to risk messing up and carrying my momentum with me when I vanish. Giving a sigh I give him a flat stare which he returns with a nervous laugh.

“Eh heh… Sorry it’s just… You’re the first one I’ve seen. I guess you used to be a human right? What’s it like?”

“Annoying…” I reply, returning my attention to the window as the bus pulls out “My life has been pretty messed up because of this…” I add, adding in some of Jean’s sentiments. I was pretending to be him after all. Thankfully none of these idiots knew him so I didn’t have to try too hard.

“I guess…” he mutters and goes silent for a bit. “But what about being a pony? Instead of human?” I suppose this is where I shined. Having been both for an extended amount of time and all..

“Hands… I might have magic but I miss fingers,” I reply truthfully. I wouldn’t trade one for the other mind you. Magic was my special talent. “Maybe if I knew more besides telekinesis things would be easier,” I add, smirking as I see some of the other passengers relax, they’d been listening in.

“Yeah, you kinda sound like Lyra would. You know her?” he asks stupidly. I think he realizes how ridiculous his question is a few moments later as well. “Well, of course you don’t. I mean… You know from the fandom right?”

“I’m not a…” what was the term Jean used? “Brony,” I reply, which draws a look of surprise from him.

“Wow, really? I thought only bronies were affected…. “he says with a shrug… “So this must be extra strange for you… I’m guessing you don’t know what pony you are then.”

“Her name is Sunset Shimmer,” I reply, “She’s in my head and apparently she used to be Celestia’s personal student before Twilight.” Am I bragging? I guess. I mostly wanted to see what sort of reaction it might get.

“Never heard of her. Celestia’s only had one student and that’s Twilight. Sounds like your pony is an OC or something,” he replies with a shrug and suddenly I’m tempted to teleport him outside. Not accounting for momentum.

“She says,” I mutter in irritation “that not every pony appears in the show. And that you don’t know anything about where she lives, or Celestia. So you shouldn’t make assumptions,” What was it with these humans and thinking I’m some made up character? The man obviously picked up on my mood and raised his hands.

“Whoa. Sorry, I didn’t mean to get you angry, season 3 was about to air before this all began, so maybe you we’re gonna show up there,” he says, trying to calm me down by saying something similar to the doctor at the hospital a couple days ago. Rolling my eyes I look away.

The rest of the ride into the city goes by silently. The brony not wanting to ask anymore questions and honestly I preferred it this way. Stepping off the bus I didn’t give him a second glance as I headed up from the terminal to street level.

Montreal was big… And its downtown was… Impressive. While it lacked the beauty of Canterlot it was still quite a sight. As people pass by i catch snippets of French; looks like Jean’s skills would be of use.

“J’espère que t’es prêt Montreal…”

Author's Note:

Nother chapter, second out of 3 that will be all Sunset.

Had a time skip this time, mostly because i doubt anyone wants to read paragraphs of Sunset talking to herself for any longer than she has to. That should change soon.

Anyway. Hope you enjoy.