• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 10,407 Views, 116 Comments

Where You Can't Follow - AbsoluteAnonymous



Pinkie Pie reflects on her relationship with Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
14
 116
 10,407

Where You Can't Follow

Where does the sky begin?

The earth stops at your hooves. The hard dirt and soft swaying grass are beneath you, tread upon and used.

Somewhere far above you is the sky, big and blue and stretching on forever.

But what about the space in between?

An earth pony, born without wings or magic, is forever shackled. Restricted to a life spent wallowing in dirt.

A pegasus, though, is like bird; soaring freely through the azure sky. Everything is within reach, and they're free to dance on the wind.

Should they so choose, a pegasus would never need to descend. They could live out their entire lives amongst the clouds and stars. Gravity has no hold on them.





They were in the kitchen of Sugarcube Corner; Pinkie Pie wearing an apron and humming to herself as she kneaded a ball of dough, Rainbow Dash seated at the counter.

Dash had been restless the entire time, glancing about nervously, rose-colored eyes flickering over the room as she fidgeted. Her wings were unfurled, flared as far as they could go. The silence the two ponies shared was occasionally punctuated by the flap of a blue wing.

"Pinkie, I need to leave. Like, right now."

"You don't need to leave, silly."

But the moment Pinkie turned her head to smile at her friend, she saw it; and then she knew ithat what she'd said wasn't true, because Rainbow Dash's eyes had a manic gleam to them. Her feathers rustled as the pegasus beat her wings anxiously. Stretching them. Unable to relax.

"Do you have somewhere you need to be or something?" Pinkie Pie asked lightly. Still trying to laugh it off. Still trying to treat it all as some kind of big joke.

"I don't know," Dash answered irritably. Her tail swished with impatience. "I just need to fly. I can't stay here anymore."

I can't stay here anymore.

Pinkie almost started to cry right then and there.

But she knew that that wasn't how Rainbow Dash had meant it; Dash had just meant that she couldn't stay inside any longer - not with these four walls and a roof closing in, caging her. She just needed to spread her wings. That was all. It didn't need to mean anything deeper than that.

"Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie answered cheerfully, whipping off her apron and tossing it aside. She didn't see where it landed, and didn't care. "Let's go outside!"






Gravity itself was claustrophobic. Invisible chains that bound you forever to the cold, cold ground. Only a pegasus could defy gravity, taking wing into the majestic blue.

From the air, you could see and hear everything. You could touch the living pulse of the world. The sun would shine on you in glory.






"Take me with you!" Pinkie demanded.

The look on Rainbow Dash's face was one of disbelief.

They were in a clearing by the edge of a stream, Pinkie Pie seated on her haunches in anticipation of watching Rainbow Dash fly.

"Are you kidding? You're too big for me. I can't go as fast as I want to if I have to take passengers, you know."

"We can at least try," the pink pony insisted.

Normally, Rainbow Dash would've just grinned and rolled her eyes, writing it off as another one of Pinkie Pie's random jokes; but there was something desperate in her eyes that kept Dash from doing so. Something urgent.

So with a sigh, Rainbow Dash knelt on the grass, beckoning Pinkie to come and climb onto her back.





A world of dirt and stone and invisible binding chains is no place for creatures of wind and air, and eventually, they all go back.

There always comes a time when a pegasus realizes that the ground can no longer hold them, and that a society constrained by something as claustrophobic as gravity will never truly satisfy them.

That is when they go back.

Someday, all pegasi return to the allure of the clouds.






"See, Pinkie? Told you that you were too heavy," Rainbow Dash muttered darkly, wincing as she rubbed her aching shoulders. "Like I said; I can't fly right if I have to take you with me."

Take me with you anyway. Please don't leave me.

"Sorry, Dashie!" Pinkie Pie giggled. "I guess I've been eating too much cake lately, huh?"

"Eh. Whatever."

Rainbow Dash was already preening her feathers, smoothing her wings in preparation for another flight. This time, she would go alone.

"Do you have to watch?" Rainbow asked after a moment, almost apologetically. "I mean, I like it when you watch me try out new tricks and stuff, but I'm not in the mood for showing off right now. I kinda just wanna go."

"Go?" Pinkie repeated, voice faltering.

"Yeah. You know. Just fly, as fast as I can. But I can't really do that if I have to stay here for you."

Her words were barbs, and she was oblivious that she was throwing them; but Pinkie felt the sting all the same.





Gilda had wanted to take Dashie away. To take her places that Pinkie Pie couldn't follow.

The weather team wanted Dashie, too. They wanted her to work full time, maybe return to Cloudsdale and get a job in the weather factory. After all, she'd been a weather mare for years, now, and her seniority warranted a promotion to something cushier, so that some newcomer could take her old place in Ponyville. Scootaloo wanted her to do it, too, so that she could still see her idol when she went to flight school.

Rainbow Dash herself still aspired to be discovered by the Wonderbolts and offered a membership, and dreamily recounted her hopes of someday joining on practically a daily basis. Being a Wonderbolt would take her away more than ever, dragging her all over the world for shows and special appearances.

They all wanted to take Dashie away.

What none of them seemed to understand was that Pinkie Pie needed her, too. She needed her best friend. She needed a rainbow in her life so that she could smile. They wanted to take Dashie away, to a place she couldn't follow.

All pegasi returned to the sky someday. Only those who were different somehow ever stayed on the ground. Even Fluttershy, the pegasus afraid of heights, occasionally grew nostalgic for the clouds.

The ground could never be enough for them.

Pinkie could never be enough.

Nothing would ever be quite enough, and that was why Rainbow Dash so lusted for the limitless sky. For speed. For a place where there would be no boundaries to hold her back, and where she could truly be free.

Someday Pinkie Pie would turn around, only to see that Rainbow Dash had finally taken off. Had finally left without looking back.

And when that happened, Pinkie wouldn't be able to chase her. Not the way she could now.

An earth pony is shackled by gravity and the earth they tread upon itself, wearing it down with every step. Pegasi were free. They were meant to fly in a world of their own, a world that the earth didn't even touch.

For now, Rainbow Dash seemed happy enough with the space in-between, willing to stay where she was for the sake of her friends. But there would come a time when she would have to choose. When she would need to decide where her true loyalties lay. A time when she would no longer be able to hold herself back.





"Okay," Pinkie said softly. "I understand."

"Cool! Catch up with you later, Pinks!"

Rainbow Dash didn't look back, not even once, before taking off, shooting straight upwards into the blue. A blur of color, streaking through the air, cutting through the clouds as she went to touch the sky.

And Pinkie Pie could only watch.





Where does the sky begin? Where does it end?

Comments ( 115 )

That was really sad, and intriguing? I don't know why it holds so much inside those lines.

New story by you = instant read.

This kinda makes my heart hurt. It makes me sad to think of all the lost potential with Pinkie 'losing' her wings in the development process of the show...and how much different it would've been if she'd stayed Surprise. But, maybe it's more freeing, or at least more interesting in some ways, because if there's any pony who can keep up with Dash, despite not having wings, it's probably Pinkie. :pinkiehappy:

Anyways, really beautiful, heart-wrenching little piece. Hope you submit it to EqD, because your writing is too good to not be seen by more people. For some reason, they don't seem to have actual numbers in the "Popular Stories" lineup, but it's getting up there to the top already, despite how late it is!

237915

This is too short for EqD, unfortunately, but your praise means a lot, so thank you. :twilightsmile:

...dammit, you write some good sad.

Have some thumbs. I need kitten pictures now...

Fox

I've noticed that Pinkie Pie and RD's flight is something of a recurring theme here.. Makes me want to see it get more attention in the show.

Anyway, the prose is somewhat different than usual, but comfortable to read nonetheless, and being near-heartbreaking is a given. Another outstanding short story, kudos!

Wow, just wow. I'm speechless on how good that was.

Can I assume that this is a prequel to "The Games We Play"? Because that makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyways Cheers.

before i read,due to the other comments im a bit scared so i need to know before i start:

does ether dashie or pinkie die in this?

238007

No, don't worry. It's angst-sadness, not tragedy-sadness.

Rainbow Dash is the element of loyalty.

She will choose her friends.
:ajsmug::twilightsmile::raritywink::pinkiesmile::yay:

well i cryed thank you may you make more sad stuff later

At first it was sad, but then it got kind of annoying when you repeated the same thing every other paragraph. Besides, I don't think Pinkie would care so much that she couldn't fly. It seems like everyone in Equestria kind of knows their place, if you know what I mean?:twilightblush::pinkiehappy: Good story though. Thumbs up from me.

238206 In my opinion, the repetitiveness was necessary to keep the mood of the story.

It was a nice, short read. May be a bit out of character for Pinkie Pie to hold such depressing thoughts unprompted, but I guess stretching canon is how good stories are made.

Well this has put me in a great mood to start the day

bottledagreschn.com/ponies/PinkieCry.gif

Another wonderful story as always Anonymous, my thumb approves!

Silly Author Pinkie doesn't need wings to fly. But she'll never reach Dash without them? Wow, that is sad. Does anyone ever sleep?

I was so happy and content after finishing tgwp... And then you did this to me. :fluttercry: IT'S NOT FAIR. ah well. Of course it was undeniably beautiful, I just wasn't really in the mood for sad, and this story hurt me. It hurt me deeply. Very feminine tears were shed. I applaud you, and curse you at the same time. Now off to tumblr for some lulz.

Gorgeous.
Why is your writing so beautifuL~? :heart:

238361

Because I am a beautiful, amazing person. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get to work on the next chapter of "Pinkie the Homicidal Maniac" to counteract this beauty with. :scootangel:

238384
I just noticed my HORRENDOUS capital L. xD
Why, of course!
I am sure that will be just as beautiful. :pinkiecrazy:

Nicely written. :twilightsmile:

But still, poor Pinkie Pie. :(

That's how you do a sad fic.

You may have my thumbs up, but I'm afraid you can't have my sadness.

For I have none to give.

Awww what the he'll that sad story makes me mad because I know exactly what pinky is feeling

I liked that. I'm a great fan of the short story myself - you conveyed your ideas there really well. Poor Pinkie! :applecry:

I have a suggestion ... perhaps the following passage:
"Gravity itself was claustrophobic. Invisible chains that bound you forever to the cold, cold ground. Only a pegasus could defy gravity, taking wing into the majestic blue.
From the air, you could see and hear everything. You could touch the living pulse of the world. The sun would shine on you in glory. "
Would work better in present tense? The other little cut-aways are in present tense, and it's like they're Pinkie's thoughts, or the narrator's observations. That bit was the only one in past tense, and it stood out a little for me.

Great story though! Nice short read.

That was a sad start to my day... :pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2:
Bravo, though! You write some of the best sad fics. I'm not one to give up on hope though. If this show taught me one thing about Pinkie, it is that she's made of pure determination if she thinks the ends are worth it. If Pinkie wants it enough, she will find a way... :pinkiesmile:

Poor Pinkie Pie.:raritydespair: Why pick a sad story to start my day... I can relate to Pinkie.

:pinkiesad2: This is beautiful and sad all at once. Of course, I suppose I should be used to that from you by now. Keep up the good work, my good man!

Oh, and, from what I've heard, getting featured on here is a pretty hard thing to do, so how is it that you can make it look so easy?

i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/alexanderwilczek/Capture44.png

As someone who's spent a lot of time in the sky, I can certainly relate to Dash's need to be free from the tyranny of the ground. Sad though it is that she must leave her flightless friends behind. although I must admit she wouldn't be a very good element of loyalty if she just bailed on her friends for all that other stuff you mentioned. overall, great little read!

Meh ,its not that bad.
Good day.:moustache:

I read the description, and I just knew what I was going to get. I saw the "sad" tag and nodded my head. Yep, I said to myself, this story is going to break my heart. I probably shouldn't read it.

Obviously, I read it anyway, and I'm glad I did--even though I have that ache in my chest that I so often get after reading one of your stories.

This was beautifully done. I think the alternating sections, the actual plot versus the observations about pegasi, gravity, etc., worked very well. I also think the use of repetition jacked up the tension and heartbreak quite nicely (and by "nicely," I mean you're a horrible soulless monster for doing this to Pinkie).

Nobody writes Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash angst quite like you.

(As an aside: If I'd successfully gotten the 1,000th comment on TGWP, I was going to ask you to write a HAPPY story starring Pinkie and Dash. Because I think they deserve it after you so mercilessly BREAK THEIR HEARTS so much.)

This is the first story i have read from you and i just have to say it : I dont know what you are doing but you are great at it. Keep up the good work!
After watching the latest episode with Pinkie this made me feel so sad for her :pinkiesad2:
This fic may only be 1000 words long but its so dense, i have never read anything that can cause so many feelings to rise from within before. And that is a true talent.

Since I know you like this kinda stuff, check it out: http://www.2shared.com/photo/XFweAty2/whereyoucantfollow.html.

Story is currently at top of the "Most Popular" list.

Ouch, my heart hurts. :fluttershysad: That was such beatiful fic! :ajsmug: And yet, so sad. Kudos to, you!
And that was me before and after I read this. media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loarp9qNva1qidxg0.gif

~Morning Dart

Another great story. Those words pack so many meanings.
But now you made me feel like a low life shackled to the ground. Like I'm below every flying creature. lolz~:rainbowlaugh:

Very wonderful read, but I feel so stupid that I didn't really understand it... I must be messed up or something, but I know it is suppose to get a meaning across, but I guess I missed it. Excellent story, but SOMEPONY EXPLAIN IT TO MEH! :pinkiesad2::twilightblush:

Wow that is really deep. Playing to the sorrows of an earth pony. Very well written my friend. I loved it! :pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2:

Wonderfully written, and in a sense, quite poetic.
Everyone at somepoint in their lives, if not still, has wanted to be able to fly and be free. I can imagine the frustraition when you're surrounded by people, your friends, who can.

Pinkie Pie in your stories always seems to be very wise, and quite often a bit sad. It's good though, but sometimes I end up wanting to find a happy Pinkie Pie story after reading them :pinkiehappy:

238232 Don't you hate it when that happens? Writing an intricate text, only to have the real meaning slip by the readers?

Sad but beautiful. You know, this is kind of the inevitable feature for all those RainbowPie or PinkieDash fanfics. It makes you :fluttercry: but that's just the way it has to be.

Simply beautiful. I've always wondered whether Pegasi had a natural attraction to always flying and living in cloud citities. You wrote this wonderfully and there is not a dry eye in the house. :applecry: :raritycry: :pinkiesad2:

I think the reason that this was so sad and moving was that both Pinkie and Dash seemed really in character, but with their inner thoughts providing dramatic irony to what they said out loud. Really good, very skillful writing.

Poetic and powerful! :rainbowkiss:

You know... I'd love to see sort of a reverse of this story, with Rainbow Dash getting wistful about the connection to Earth and the solid footing the earth ponies have. "For them, the ground isn't the enemy, waiting at the end of a free fall to stop you harshly. It's a friend, a constant companion that holds them up and supports them every moment of their lives."

Poor Pinkie. I wonder if Pinkie loves Rainbow in this fic?:pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment