• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 655 Views, 29 Comments

Uniconia's desire - xcedra



King Strong Hooves Sees Princess Sparkle as a way to gain power for his kingdom, but will his son Gallant Heart help or hinder?

  • ...
23
 29
 655

to save a life

King Strong Hooves watched the messenger riding off with the urgent missive that would bring back his son, and more importantly provide Dark Strider with a reason to suggest the Princess accompany him on his return. The wyvern he had slain early lay in the courtyard, and now one seemed inclined to go near it, or its tail. He grinned, it will have decayed somewhat by the time Gallant and the Princess were able to arrive, but it would be impressive all the same. He grimaced and he moved his arm, the wound all had seen him sustain while fighting it was going to more irritating then he had originally anticipated, but it was a means to an end.


```
The messenger ran hard barely stopping to rest before stumbling into ponyville. There the townsponies assisted him and he gasped “Must.. get to...Prince Gallant Heart.. King Strong Hooves, Wyvern... Poison..” before he collapsed. The Mayor wasted no time in getting volunteers the carry the messenger to the train station and accompany him to Canterlot.

````

The Messenger from Unicornia recovered sufficiently on the train ride that by the time he arrived at Canterlot Castle he was able to make more sense and expound upon what had happened as he stood before Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight Sparkle and Gallant Heart

“Three days ago a Wyvern attacked a town not far from Licorne, our capital, King Strong Hooves led a detachment of soldiers against it and prevailed, however during the combat His Majesty,” the messenger paused, swallowed and continues “His Majesty received a blow from the Wyvern's barbed tail, and his physicians fear that they will not be able to counteract the poison for long.”

“My Father, is-” Gallant closed his eyes for a moment before strengthening himself “There must be a cure, he cannot simply fall to a Wyvern barb.”

“There is a book in our library here about Wyverns, Perhaps there is a remedy there?” Twilight offered

“Actually Twilight, there is a ready cure for Wyvern poison, but it must be fresh, and you have the means readily available at your disposal.” Princess Celestia told her

“I do? What is it?”

“You use your magic to draw the poison to the surface of the wound, apply dragon fire ash, mixed in simple healing potion and that will cleanse the wound and remove the venom. How long ago was King Strong Hooves wounded?”

“It took me three days your Highness, though I ran as fast as I could.”

“Then there is no time to waste, Twilight if you and spike would take Prince Gallant in the Royal carriage, you should be able to arrive in time to administer the antidote to King Strong Hooves, but we have little time to spare.”

“You can count on me Princess, Spike?”

“Of course Twilight, I would never let someone die if I can help!”

“My thanks Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight.”

“Now hurry, and Twilight, be careful.”

Twilight Gallant, spike and Dark Strider gathered the items they would need, the flight to Unicornia should take most of the day, so Twilight packed for four days, a day to get there, a day to administer the antidote, one to get back, and an extra day just in case.


When she went down to the courtyard she saw her friends waiting for her, to wish her luck on her journey.

“Don't worry sugarcube, I'm sure you'll do just fine.”
“Just make sure you keep your wings folded Twilight, you don't have the stamina to fly along side okay? I could though, you know if you wanted me too”
“Thanks Rainbow, but I don't think that will be necessary.”
“Of course Darling, you'll be fine.” Rarity gave her a hug as the carriage pulled up
“bye Twilight.”
“And don't worry, when you and the Prince get back, we will have a super duper so glad your dad get better and your back in Equestria party!”

````
it was late in the evening when the carriage landed in Licorne, and the Guard ponies carrying it were exhausted, Twilight thanked them before following Prince Gallant and Dark Strider up the steps. She in turn was followed by the Guard pony that had been assigned to her. She was feeling very nervous about the whole thing, enough so that she wasn't even blushing when she realized it was Flash Sentry. They hadn't really talked much since the whole gone to another dimension thingy, and for some reason whenever Twilight had a chance she instantly remembered about twenty other things she was suppose to be doing. concentrate Twilight she admonished herself, Now is not the time to be thinking about the cute pony in armor She wasn't sure when a good time would be, but there had to be one, someday.

King Strong Hooves was in his chamber, and his Physician had a dour look on his face.

“Father!” Called Gallant as they entered the room

“Gallant, good your back, I was worried you wouldn't...” The effort seemed too much for the King and he layed his head back down on the pillow.

“He is weakening fast your Highness.” the Physician Pony told Gallant “We have used every strengthening potion and spell we have at our disposal, but I fear we are only buying time.”

“Its OK Doctor Silver Needle, I have brought with me a cure.” Gallant turned to Twilight “Princess?”

“We are going to need a piece of parchment and a healing potion.” As the doctor removed the requested items from his bag, twilight handed the parchment to spike.
“Are you ready spike?”
“Ready as I will ever be Twi.”

Twilight concentrated, she had expected the magic to be harder somehow, from Gallants description of their limited magic resources, she had though she would have to find a ley line or something, and while she could feel a line of power above her, she felt enough magic gathering around her that tapping into it seemed unnecessary. She released the spell from the tip of her horn and controlled the energy as it flowed over King Strong Hooves wounded withers. “Now Spike.”
Spike poured the potion over the wound as he had been instructed, then ignited the parchment with his breath. The ash mingled with the potion and twilight used her magic to mix it together even as she pulled at the poison inside Kind Strong Hooves. It was odd though, the sense of the poison was not as strong as She had expected it to be from the look of Strong hooves, almost as if it wasn't really wyvern poison.

Twilight’s misgivings aside, King Strong Hooves seemed to gain strength from his, his slate colored coat glistened and turned a more silvery color, and the wound began to knit.

“Thank you Princess Twilight” Prince gallant said as the strength visibly returned to Strong Hooves' form.

“Yes,” the Kings voice, with more timber in it now said as he raised his head “thank you young Princess, please, accept my delayed welcome to our kingdom, Ah Dark Strider, please make sure the proper consideration are in place for our guest.”

“Of course your majesty.”

“Your Majesty, your Highness' he really should rest some more, and I need to examine him to make sure he is fully recovered.”

“Of course.”

Dark Strider lead the way as Twilight and Gallant left the room, Flash Sentry had remained outside the door, and as they headed down to the reception and dining area he fell in line behind. He wasn't sure why, but Princess Celestria had warned him that she felt something was off, though she had not been able to put her hoof on it. He was to remain vigilant, the way a trained Royal guard can.

When they entered the dining hall Dark Strider asked the attendant if the Carriage Guards had been attended too. “Yessir, we took care of them just as you had instructed.”

“And accommodations for the Princess and her, assistant?

“I am afraid my Prince, Princess, Spike, that we were not expected to return so soon, Nor with Her highness along, and especially not with a dragon. However the kitchen have assured me that they have made a dinner that should satisfy their needs, and Chambers are being readied as we speak.”

“Dinner sounds lovely Thank you” Twilight smiled at the attendant and followed Dark Strider to a waiting table.


The Salad tasted a little funky, but Twilight was hungry enough not to complain, the spinach leaves had been smaller, tougher and lest crisp then she was used to, and she supposed the differences in their agricultural methods must account for the slightly bitter taste. Spike sure seemed to enjoy his crystal studded wheatloaf, he had just finished a bite when suddenly he yawned so hard it looked like his jaw would fall off.

“sorry.” he mumbled his eyelids drooping, “Suddenly I am just soo...” and his head plopped onto the table.

“He is a baby dragon, Twilight explained. She stood up, but sat down almost immediately, having been overcome by a disorienting wave of dizziness. “That’s odd, I was...”She looked down the table and say Dark Strider, with a very satisfied look on his face approaching. “What was in the Salad?” she asked Alarmed

“Just a little something to keep you from using your magic, Princess.”

Gallant stood up affronted “What is going on here?”
Dark Strider signaled a couple guards “Please escort the Princess to her Chambers, Make sure she is Properly aquitted.”

“Yessir”

Gallant pulled Dark Strider around as Flash Sentry moved to protect Twilight. “I asked you what is Going on Dark Strider.”

“Orders from your Father my Prince, please do not make me enact the ones he has in place in casue you object.”

Gallants horn emitted a slight glow as Flash stood protectively in from of Twilight, his wings outspread.

Dark Strider Sighed and released his own spell, instead of light emanating from his horn, Darkness sounded them. Gallant couldn't even see the light from his own horn. He could hear nothing. He felt a hoof in his belly knocking the wind out of him, before a second blow took his forelegs out at the knees, the another blow at his hind hocks, and he was down on the floor.

Flash acquitted himself somewhat better, having been taught how to blind fight at the academy, he was still outnumbered, and twilight was in no condition to help him, even if she had been able to see what was going on. When the magic receded she saw flash knocked out, with three other ponies also laying unconscious around them, with a guard pony standing over Gallant.

“Take our guest to her new quarters. Put this one with the other Guards, and lock the dragon up down below.”

“You better not hurt him!” Twilight said as she struggled to remain focused

“Princess,” Dark Strider said as the guards obeyed his orders and reomved Spike and Flash “I would be more worried about yourself, and why King Strong Hooves would risk so much in capturing you.”