• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 1,687 Views, 4 Comments

Doll - Closer-To-The-Sun



The new Princess Twilight Sparkle is nervous about her new title, her new role, and herself.

  • ...
0
 4
 1,687

Doll

In Ponyville’s library, a purple alicorn sat on the couch. Surrounding her, there were a few stacks of books, towering around her as if she was planning on making a castle with the pieces of literature. Using her magic, she quickly scanned a number books back and forth, looking for something. With each book she finished looking at, however, she only grew frustrated and moved on to another. On the couch with her was a small patchwork doll, better known as Smarty Pants to the librarian. The mare propped the doll up on the couch with her quill and parchment, giving the appearance as if the toy was ready to take dictated notes.

“Nothing in this book either, Smarty Pants,” Twilight Sparkle spoke, using her magic to put the book aside on a growing stack of books, “Maybe I can find something in this one. It was written by one of Star Swirl’s pupils, after all….”

The doll didn’t respond. Instead, Smarty Pants slid to one side and fell over due the weight of it’s head being balanced on it’s lopsided body. Twilight noticed this and quickly fixed it with her magic. She continued her furious searching through her books. However, after a few more books, she was still empty hooved.

Placing the recently read book aside, Twilight looked back at her doll’s button eyes, “Still nothing….oh, why did I do this, Smarty Pants? Why did I have to take on such a big responsibility? And for that matter, these wings?” She opened up her wings and flapped them twice, stretching them out. Her wing hit one of the stacks of books, causing it to tumble down. The cascading books fell and hit other piles of books, burying the alicorn and her doll under the massive amounts of literature.

With a huff of annoyance, the mare mumbled under the pile, “Well, here’s another nice mess I’ve gotten myself into….”

The front door of the library opened up, revealing a small purple dragon. His face was one of surprise as he looked on to the large pile of books in the middle of the library. Closing the door behind him, he called out, “Twilight? Are you in here?”

“Right here, Spike….” a muffled voice called out. Shuffling a bit amongst the books, Twilight popped her head out of the mound of books.

“Oh, good. I was worried that you might have just left this pile of books for me to sort with you going off somewhere on some adventure,” the dragon joked as he began to pick up the books.

“No….no, I was just in the middle of a….thing….” the mare shuffled around in the pile of books, feeling around for something with her hoof that was buried.

“Another super-study session turned into a book-avalanche?” Spike gave a warm smirk to Twilight. He started filing the books away in the shelves.

“More or less,” Twilight admitted. Finally after digging, she pulled out what she was looking for, “There you are, Smarty Pants.”

Spike turned to see the doll he had not seen in a long time, “Smarty Pants? Didn’t Big Mac have that doll after that one mishap?”

Twilight’s face reddened slightly as she spoke, “Well….yes, but I asked him if I could have it back for a bit….” Her front hooves touched nervously as she continued, “I….needed some help with my research today….”

A chuckle escaped Spike’s mouth, “You needed Smarty Pants to help you research? Boy, I haven’t heard you say that since your first year studying under Celestia.”

Moving herself out of the pile of books, Twilight glared at her assistant, “What’s wrong with having some comfort? You still have a plush toy that you cuddle while you sleep!”

The dragon continued with his work with a smile, “I never said there was anything wrong. I just think it’s a little funny that Equestria’s newest princess has a little study buddy.”

Levitating the books, Twilight began to help put the books away. She didn’t respond Spike’s comment.

“You said it yourself, nothing wrong with it. Anyway, what were you and Smarty Pants looking for?” Spike asked as he added more books to the bookcases.

Twilight was still silent. A few tears formed in her eyes.

Spike looked to the alicorn’s face, seeing her eyes growing wet, “Twilight?”

“I’m scared, Spike….” she finally uttered.

“Scared? What are you talking about?” the dragon stopped placing the pieces of literature.

The mare continued to stare at the bookcase she had just placed a few books, “I’m….I’m not a unicorn anymore….I’m not the Twilight Sparkle I was before….I’m….so much different….”

“Yeah, you’re Princess Twilight Sparkle, Equestria’s newest princess, what about it?”

Twilight quickly turned her head to Spike as a tear finally began to roll down her cheek, “Don’t you get it, Spike? I’m not just a princess….I’m powerful being, a member of the pantheon of royalty, a role model….”

“You’ve been a role model before, Twilight. I don’t see what’s the big deal about it,” Spike insisted.

Controlling her tone and volume, she continued, “Sure, as a unicorn. But as a princess, this is entirely different! The power I now hold, the responsibility I must uphold. It’s….It’s too much for me….”

Spike placed a claw under his chin, “I think you’re just overreacting.”

“Am I Spike? Watch this,” Twilight’s horn glowed brightly. Instantly, the books that scattered the floor were magically levitated by her magic. Quickly, they were all filed away in their proper order amongst the bookshelves. With that, the library looked completely in order except for Twilight’s Smarty Pants doll lying on one of the couch cushions. “See?” Twilight looked directly at the dragon.

“Whoa,” Spike examined the library, “now if only I could do that when cleaning the place.”

“Spike, this is serious! I control so much powerful magic; it’s frightening. I’ve never been so scared….Nightmare Moon, Queen Chrysalis, Discord….none of them scared me so much as I scare myself….I wish I never taken this title….” Twilight hung her head as she trotted towards the couch. She levitated Smarty Pants with her magic off the couch so she could sit and lowered the doll into her front limbs, embracing it.

Following Twilight over, Spike replied, “I still think you’re worrying over nothing.”

The alicorn was silent, tightening her hold on Smarty Pants.

Spike hopped upon the empty cushion next to Twilight on the couch. Seeing the hurt look on her face, Spike started to speak, “Hey, you remember when you first entered Celestia’s school, that very first day?”

“Kinda,” Twilight mumbled.

“Well, I remember it well. You were so scared on your first day. Going to a private school to learn under the princess herself, I remember that you cried and beg mom and dad to come with you,” a smile appeared on Spike’s face as he recalled the events, “They kept insisting you’d be fine, and that you had me to accompany you. And you know what happened that day? Everything was fine. I remember you kept telling me how scared you were, how much you just wanted to cry, but you didn’t. You told me that because I was there as moral support for you, you tried your hardest. And with that, you became a star student.”

“H-How do you remember all of that?” Twilight was bewildered with her assistant’s memory.

“Photographic memory, Twilight,” Spike boasted as he pointed to his head, “I remember lots of stuff, like how you told Smarty Pants everything from your first day of school after you thought I went to sleep. You told her that you were still scared about school, but very excited to go back.”

Twilight was at a loss for words as she looked to her doll, “I….I really was, wasn’t I?”

Spike smiled at the alicorn, “What I’m trying to say, Twilight, is that it’s okay to be scared. We all get scared from time to time. And we even can be scared of ourselves. Remember that time I turned into that huge monster? That certainly scared me!” Spike’s arms flailed around to emphasize how big he was.

A soft chuckle came from Twilight, “Yes, I remember when that happened, you certainly frightened all of us.”

“So, don’t stress about this. I’m sure you’ll be a great princess, making Shining Armor, mom and dad, and everypony proud,” Spike placed a claw on Twilight and smiled warmly.

Twilight smiled back as the tears in her eyes slowly rolled down, this time, in happiness, “Thanks, Spike,” she looked down at Smarty Pants warmed in her limbs, “I just wish I was more prepared for this role as princess….”

“Hey, do you think Princess Celestia and Princess Luna got it right the first time? I’m sure they had to learn as they went along. No pony lands on their hooves every single time, right?”

“I guess you’re right about that, Spike,” the alicorn looked back to her assistant.

The dragon nodded, “Besides, you know we’ll all be here for you, Twilight, rooting for ya and ready to help in anyway we can. Especially Smarty Pants here.”

This caused Twilight to smile brightly. With one of her hooves, she pulled Spike in for a hug along with her Smarty Pants doll, “When you put it like that, Spike, I really am lucky to have such great support like you and the girls. With all of you, I actually have to say I feel that I’m not scared.”

END

Comments ( 4 )

Wouldn't Spike have been only a few days old when Twilight started studying under the princess?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Login or register to comment