• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 4,516 Views, 122 Comments

The Royal Gamer - Test4Echo



Luna delves into the realms of video games.

  • ...
6
 122
 4,516

Chapter 2: Meet Thy Maker!

"Hah! Take that AJ!" Rainbow Dash gleefully cheered as her onscreen military pony mowed down the orange farm pony's own character before itself being blown sky-high via a rocket from Pinkie.

The pink party pony's own soldier was then liquidated from a quick stab in the back by Twilight, who snuck up behind the unsuspecting victim, and was then directly after shot in the head by Applejack's sniper rifle.

As this virtual massacre continued to unravel on the television, Luna simply sat on the couch, slack jawed. She was appalled that this level of violence was being sold in Equestria, let alone Ponyville. She wasn't unfamiliar to war, death, and bloodshed. In the earlier days of she and her sister's rule, there had been many wars to ensure the survival of the new kingdom, but she couldn't believe this had been sold so readily.

Behind the couch, Fluttershy lay shaking and whimpering in complete fear, not being able to stomach the bloodbath. Sitting beside the night princess, Rarity sat utterly flabbergasted, perhaps even more so than Luna herself.

The match ended with Rainbow Dash the victor, followed by Twilight, then Applejack, then Pinkie. Getting up from the floor, Applejack said as she trotted back to the couch, "Good game, Dash. I'll let somepony else give it try."

"Yeah, and I want to see what Twilight has to eat." Pinkie stated, bouncing in her usual manner towards the small fridge and opening the door.

"Don't eat everything in there, Pinkie!" Twilight warned. "I planned for that to last the entire night."

Ignoring the caution, Pinkie Pie took out a long thing aluminum can with the green outline of a manticore, the label reading, "Manticore energy drink. Grass green flavor." Inspecting it, Pinkie said, "OOOoo. What's this?"

"I read that ponies who play lots of video games drink that most of the time. It's supposed to keep you awake and give you energy." Twilight replied.

Hopping back towards the couch, Pinkie sat down in front of it, and started taking sips from the energy drink.

Rarity slid off the sofa and grabbed with her magic one of the two now free controllers, "Well, I suppose I will try. Perhaps I can bring some dignity to this brutish game."

Thinking over the idea for a minute, Luna then grabbed the other controller, saying, "I, too, shall try. My sister said I was to enjoy this night."

Slowly getting up, Twilight walked over to the fridge and brought out a small can of Popsi. While she was over, Rainbow Dash asked her to bring one for her, too.

While this was going on, Luna was looking over the interface. On-screen stood another muscular stallion much like the one on the cover art. Deciding that she liked none of the pre-set soldiers, Luna investigated making a "custom" as it was called, and was hit with a slew of options. After the initial surprise, Luna steadily made her way through the different weapons, finally choosing the weapons and abilities that most interested her.

Huffing, Rainbow Dash said, "Finally." before facehoofing as Rarity decided that she needed a custom pony.

After twenty minutes of hemming and hawing, the white unicorn finally decided on her primary weapon.

"Ugh. We'll be here all night if you don't make up your mind, Rarity." Dash sighed exasperatedly before grabbing her friend's controller and quickly choosing the weapons and perks for her. Sitting back down with a grunt, Rainbow Dash began to select the map and game mode, finally deciding on gun game.

"Pray tell, Rainbow Dash, what is this 'gun game'?" Luna asked her.

As she set some advanced options and activated the match, Rainbow glanced over at the princess, "Exactly what it says at the start of the match: be the first to use all the ranged weapons. And I just made it so if you knife somepony they'll go back five weapons."

Swallowing nervously, Luna soon found which one of the four boxes on the TV was her character's perspective.

Out of the gate, Rainbow Dash was in the lead, quickly blowing past the pistols and into shotguns. As the match ensued, Dash got up to the last weapon: the ballistic knife. But instead of finishing the match, she started goofing off, stabbing other ponies rather than killing at range.

As luck would have it, Luna found herself sneaking up behind the cocky pegasus, cleanly slicing the virtual pony in the neck, eliciting a extremely surprised and outraged response from its owner.

In the end, Rainbow Dash still came out as the winner, closely followed by Rarity, with Luna in last.

"OUTRAGEOUS!" Luna boomed, forgetting for a moment not to use the Royal Canterlot Voice. "YOUR PRINCESS DEMANDS A REMATCH!"

Sighing and getting off from the floor, Rainbow Dash went to the couch and, noticing Fluttershy's still quivering tail, grabbed it in her mouth, "Comf on Futtershy. You needf to play tfoo."

As Rainbow Dash dragged the yellow pegasus over, Twilight put down her controller, "I'm taking a break, who wants to replace me? Pinkie Pie?"

She was answered with snores. Turning around, Twilight was greeted with Pinkie's sleeping form; the energy drink can empty, appearing to have a tiring effect on the pink pony, rather than giving her even more energy.

Twilight shook her head, "Applejack? Do you want to play?"

"Sure, sugarcube." Applejack answered, taking the controller from Twilight.

Luna glanced over at Fluttershy, the timid pony covering her face with her hooves, and quivering even more violently. "Do not fret, dearest Fluttershy," Luna said, leaning over to the shaking form of the pegasus. "Nopony is being killed: it is just a game."

Fluttershy quietly responded, "I-I know. It's just so bloody and noisy." Ushering as much courage as possible, Fluttershy grabbed the controller, and waited for the map and game to be chosen.

"How 'bout you choose what we play this time, princess?" Applejack suggested.

Searching through the different game-types, Luna settled on free-for-all, deciding that it would be interesting. After choosing the game, Luna picked a map of a captured pleasure yacht.

"Free-for-all: Be the pony with the highest score." the voice from the TV said as a timer counted down on-screen.

Bringing her controller closer to her face and sticking her tongue out in concentration, Luna waited for the match to begin. She was ready. This time, she would win and nopony would be spared.

Fluttershy instantly scrambled for her character to find a good hiding place, and stayed there. The ponies watching swore that her soldier was shaking almost as much as she was. However, that all changed when Luna discovered her position, impaling Fluttershy's soldier in the head with her tomahawk.

Suddenly Fluttershy's demeanor changed. Steeling her face into a dark snarl, she whispered, "How dare you?!" Rage now clearly on her features, Fluttershy began killing everypony in the map, player and AI alike.

When the match ended, everypony was shocked as Fluttershy won with a large lead: the best of the night. After their initial surprise, they all stared as the normally timid and quiet pony got up and went to the fridge, giving them all an icy glare, conveying a meaning that was interpreted as, "Don't screw with me." They continued to gawk in silence as she found what she wanted from the fridge and sat back down on the floor.

"I wonder," Luna said, cautiously glancing at Fluttershy, who had now calmed down somewhat, "if somepony else should play this game, rather than fair Fluttershy."

"I will," Rainbow Dash said, getting up from her position on the couch and snatching the free controller. "I've wanted to try the zombie sieges ever since they announced them."

"Zombie sieges?" Luna asked half surprised developers would use such lore.

"Wanna try?" Rainbow asked her, already setting up the match.

Pausing for a moment, Luna answered, "I suppose I could."

***

"TAKE THAT, FOUL BEASTS OF TARTARUS!" Luna exploded as she fought off single-handedly a mob of undead ponies.

Her team was being assaulted on all sides by the zombies, who twisted their way through the alleyways of the decimated village the players' characters were holed up in.

Rarity and Applejack were down, and Rainbow Dash was surrounded, barely holding off her assailants. Both were nearly out of ammo. Luna knew now was the time for desperate action. Using what was left in her shotgun she blasted her way through the line of zombies, and reached Rainbow Dash.

Backing up against her fellow pony, Luna whispered, "Prithee, Rainbow Dash, give me thy grenades."

Staring at her incredulously, Dash replied, "I can't."

As she shot another zombie that was getting too close, Luna asked, "Why not?"

"Because this is a game?" Dash answered, glaring at the alicorn that was pressed up against her in front the TV.

Abruptly, Luna realized that she was uncomfortably close to Dash. Laughing in embarrassment, she said, "I am sorry for the intrusion of thy personal privacy, Rainbow Dash. For I was only enraptured by this game."

Rolling her eyes, Dash un-paused the battle and continued slaying the zombie horde, Luna's character bringing up the rear.

Eventually the waves of zombies became too heavy, and with barely any ammo, Luna and Dash were finally vanquished by the undead army.

Stretching and giving a yawn, Rainbow Dash said, "Well, it was a fun night, but I need to be heading home. Ya'know, gotta practice tomorrow."

"Wait, Rainbow Dash!" Luna cried. "Who shall be my ally fighting this hellish horde?"

Glancing around, Dash tried to find somepony to play with the thoroughly addicted Luna. Pinkie was out of the question; she had been out cold since early in the night from the energy drink she consumed, and all the other ponies had either left, or settled down for the night. "I dunno," she answered, giving a slight shrug. "You could always play by yourself."

As soon as it was suggested, Luna whipped around to stare at the television, already beginning to set up another match of pony versus zombie.

Shivering slightly, Rainbow Dash couldn't stop thinking that she and Twilight had unleashed a monster.

***

Sunlight poured in through the crack in Twilight's bedroom curtains, falling into her eyes. Giving a soft moan before stretching and emitting a soft yet satisfied yawn, Twilight stepped out of bed and trotted downstairs to fix breakfast.

As she entered the main floor of the library, Twilight heard faint sounds of gunfire and slightly maniacal laughter. Deciding to find the source of the commotion, she treaded her way down the basement stairwell, and was greeted with explosions and more laughter.

The troublemaker was Princess Luna, her mane and tail now unkempt, a crazed grin on her face and look in her eyes.

"Ha-ha!" Twilight heard her cry. "Thou foalish mortals cannot stop the Princess of the Night!"

Calling Luna's name several times, Twilight finally unplugged the PlayStable from the wall socket, the screen in front of Luna beeping then going black, instantly getting the mare's attention.

"Fair Twilight! Why didst thou remove the cable from this wonderful device?" Luna said, on the verge of tears.

"Because you've been playing it all night. The chariot Princess Celestia said she would send will be here soon." Twilight informed.

Rising from the floor, Luna told Twilight, "That 'PlayStable 3' is a marvel of Equestria. Where may I purchase one?"

Climbing the stairs, the two ponies entered the kitchen and prepared their morning meal. While eating, a pounding on the door began which Twilight answered a moment later.

In the doorway stood one of the royal guards; he nodded to Twilight and said, "Princess Celestia thanks you and your friends for entertaining her sister for the night."

Twilight informed Luna of her sister's chariot, and, after exchanging farewells, shut the door with a relieved sigh, before entering the kitchen once more.

As she got on the chariot and the two guardsponies took off, Luna was quietly planning to acquire one of the game consoles for her own use.

***

Luna stood outside of a small, modern business. The sign above the entrance read: "Splicer's video game store."

Motioning the two guards to wait outside, Luna entered the shop and was greeted by a salespony, who swiftly recognized her monarch. "Welcome your majesty," she said, kneeling down onto the floor. "Is there anything we can help you with?"

Inspecting a shelf of game packages, Luna replied, "Yes, fair citizen. I am looking for a PlayStable 3. Do you sell them here?"

Stilling bowing to the princess, the salespony stated, "Yes your majesty, we have one left that was forgotten when we unpacked its shipment. Shall I bring it out for you?"

"Indeed. I wish to purchase it."

The salespony said, slightly aghast, "There will be no need for that your majesty, it would our honor for you to have it."

Fiercely insisting that she wanted to pay, Luna walked over to the counter after the salespony had brought out the box containing the PlayStable.

As Luna strolled out of the shop, PlayStable in her magical grip, the owner of the store entered from the storage room. "Who was that?" he asked.

"Princess Luna." the salespony replied, still not fully believing what had transpired.

"What did she want?"

"She bought our last PlayStable."

"I didn't know she played video games."

"Neither did I." the salespony said, walking back to the counter as the princess left for Canterlot Castle.