• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 2,698 Views, 242 Comments

Thirty Minutes Shy - Esle Ynopemos



A collection of short stories and vignettes featuring the shy yellow one.

  • ...
3
 242
 2,698

17: Chickensitting [Comedy]

((Prompt: Scootaloo gets a job.))

Scootaloo was never quite sure what to make of Fluttershy. On one hoof, she seemed to be every type of lame Scootaloo had ever heard of. She didn't fly fast, she didn't do awesome tricks, she was afraid of just about everything. All she ever seemed to do was hang quietly around her cottage taking care of animals. That one time she had stared down a cockatrice was pretty neat, Scootaloo supposed, but for the most part, Fluttershy was a boring pony.

But on the other hoof, Rainbow Dash seemed to think Fluttershy was great. Scootaloo couldn't quite wrap her head around how somepony as completely awesome as Rainbow Dash could possibly want to hang around a dull, not-awesome pony like Fluttershy.

Clearly, there was some piece she was missing. Scootaloo's current theory was that maybe Fluttershy was secretly a ninja warrior or something, and all her shyness and everything was an act to lull her enemies into a false sense of security.

She checked for hidden swords or throwing stars in the petunias stashed away to defend against would-be attackers. She didn't find anything but petunias. With a sigh of mild disappointment, she picked her scooter up and knocked on the front door.

The door opened a crack. “Oh, Scootaloo, you're here!” Fluttershy pulled the door the rest of the way open, allowing the filly inside. “Come in, please.”

Scootaloo dusted her hooves off on the welcome mat and stepped inside. Squirrels and chipmunks chased each other across the floor while the eaves of the house rang with a dozen chirping birds. Scootaloo lifted her hoof as a rabbit darted between her legs and dove under the couch.

“Thank you for coming to help me,” Fluttershy said, leading her through the cottage. “Rainbow Dash said you were looking for a summer job, and well, I can't pay much, but I am a little short-hoofed around here.”

“I can see that,” Scootaloo said, watching the woodland creatures whirl about the place. Perhaps it was just because they had her friends and herself to compare to last time, but the animals just didn't seem as tame as they had the night of the Crusaders' sleepover. “So, how do you want me to get started? Do you want me to fill the bird-feeders?” She buzzed her wings, and gained a few feet of altitude before dropping back to the ground, panting. “'Cause, I can totally reach the bird-feeders now.”

Fluttershy smiled at her. “Thank you, but that's okay, I can take care of the bird-feeders. I have a special job for you, Scootaloo. Follow me, please.”

A special job? Was this the part where she would take her out to a frozen mountaintop to train in the ways of a shadow warrior? Scootaloo held her scooter tight as she followed Fluttershy out the back door.

“Here we are,” Fluttershy said, stopping in front of a small wooden structure.

Scootaloo looked up at it. “The... chicken coop?”

“That's right.” Fluttershy nodded. “Elizabeak—you've met her—has pulled a muscle, and can't sit on her eggs. I need somepony to keep her eggs warm for her while she recovers.”

Scootaloo gaped. “You... you want me to roost?”

“Well, yes...” Fluttershy shifted on her hooves and chewed her lip. “Only if that's okay with you, of course. It's just that, you're small enough to fit in the coop, and it has to be a pegasus filly because you're light enough that you don't crush the eggs. If—if you don't want to, that's okay. I'm sure I can find somepony else...”

A few minutes later, Scootaloo found herself sitting on a clutch of chicken eggs. She huffed and tapped her hoof against the roost. Rainbow Dash was wrong. Fluttershy was totally lame.

*

“You're totally awesome,” Rainbow Dash said, watching the chicken coop from Fluttershy's porch. “Thank you for giving her this chance.”

Fluttershy followed her gaze and gave a troubled frown. “Are you sure she's ready, Rainbow? She has a long, difficult path ahead of her.” Her eyes raised to the mountains in the distance as a light breeze tugged at her mane. “One I left behind me a long time ago.”

“I know,” Rainbow said. “You know I wouldn't ask this of you lightly. I think she really has what it takes.”

“We'll see.” Fluttershy stared long and hard at the chicken coop.

Rainbow Dash clapped her front hooves together and bowed her head. “She will not disappoint you, I promise!”

Fluttershy returned the gesture and watched her friend soar off into the sky. “We'll see.”

Author's Note:

This story is going on hiatus for a little while. Don't worry, I am coming back to it, but I have some stuff and reasons to deal with first.