• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 6,469 Views, 194 Comments

Night's Children - Lucky424



Twin alicorn children of a human and an alicorn. What could go wrong?

  • ...
13
 194
 6,469

Chapter 12: If a mare's foaling, you'd best do what she says...

A massive group of ponies crashing through the hospital entrance panicked the young nurse, and she was about to call security when she noticed Princess Sparkle looking at the ward map. She got up from her desk and trotted over, bowing low. “Your majesty, it is a pleasure to see you here. What department are you looking for?”

“Please, I don't want to draw any attention. My friend Rainbow Dash is in, and she's having a foal. Which direction to the maternity ward?” After being shown the location, the group moved on, letting the nurse continue with her work. Which consisted of a couple of headache tablets.

Deep in another part of the same building, a pegasus stallion was bearing the events with a grin, even as his hoof was being crushed between those of his wife, who's prismatic mane was matted with sweat and fell around her head. “Come on, Dash. You've been through this before, you can do it.”

The crushing just got harder as a particularly strong contraction came forth, causing her to breathe heavily. She looked over to the window where Firefly and Bifrost were watching with smiles, Scootaloo and Prism Blast jumping in place next to them. All they could see was her top half and Soarin, whose pain Bifrost seemed to relish in.

The elder stallion leant down to the mare next to him and whispered in her ear. “Reminds me of when you had Spitfire. Couldn't use my hoof for, what was it again? Oh yeah, almost three weeks!” Firefly lightly slapped his cheek and then kissed him, turning as the door opened and Dash's friends came trotting in. At the same time a door inside opened and a doctor came trotting in. They could hear the exchange trough a speaker at them bottom of the window.

“Now then Mrs Smokestack, time to see how long you have left.” The curtain was drawn back more so that she was hidden from view as the doctor examined her. “Good, coming along nicely. I shouldn't think it would be too long now. Now, as you are both pegasi, I assume you want the traditional cloud birthing?”

“Yes, now hurry up and get this bucking foal out of me!”

“Dash, calm down, they're just doing their job.”

“WELL GET THEM TO DO IT FASTER!!!” The group outside laughed at her comments, especially Rarity, knowing that Dash didn't have much decorum at the best of times, let alone when foaling. The curtain drew back and the doctor stared wide eyed at the gathering.

“Okay... this is too many ponies. Those of you who are not immediate family will have to wait outside.” None of them went to move, so he lit his horn, the doors behind the group swinging open to reveal three unicorn security guards. “Please make sure they are well looked after in the waiting room. Sorry Princess Sparkle, but it's the hospital rules.”

Twilight nodded, turning to walk away, but then stopping and pulling Rarity away in her magic, ignoring her protests of 'knowing her so long that they were practically family'. Out in the waiting room they met up with Alec and Luna, who had left the twins with Faust and Celestia. They made small talk for a while as screams came down the corridor, followed by shouts about Soarin being 'the most pansy faced stallion ever.'

Luna got up and trotted out of the room, Alec following at a distance. He found her looking longingly at the new born foals, a far away look in her eyes as he draped his wing over her back, and nuzzled her cheek, then standing still. “I want another one.”

“Another what? Foal?”

“Yes. I love Flame and Sapphy, but there is part of me that wants to experience it all again.”

“Why don't we just get a puppy?” Alec grinned mischievously as Luna glared at him. “Oh come on, it was just a joke! I gotta say, I wouldn't mind myself. I got a letter from Shining Armour the other day, Cadence is pregnant again with a sibling for Skyla. I'll be dammed if I'll let him beat me to three.”

“So... do you want to try for another?”

“Well... the trying part is what I enjoy the most.” Luna pulled away from him and began to walk down one of the other corridors, causing Alec to scramble after her. He managed to catch up just as she entered a unoccupied room, leaving the lights off. “Luna, I wasn't serious! Well, I was, but I didn't mean it like that. If you want another foal, then it is mmpphh”

She dragged him in with her wings around his head, slamming the door shut with a rear hoof and pushing him onto the bed.


A door to the side swinging open caused everypony to jump in alarm, but that turned to relief as an exhausted Dash was wheeled past, a bundle of towels wrapped in her forelegs. Following on behind was Soarin with a slight limp, scowling every time Bifrost laughed. The group followed at a distance as the trolley stopped outside a room, the orderly opening the door and flicking the lights on... where his wings suddenly shot out from his back.

Curious, Twilight popped her head in the door, cheeks turning pink as she stared at the ponies on the bed... who were in a rather compromising position. Alec turned his head round and smiled at her, not having moved from his position. “Let's face it... you've caught us doing worse.”

She then felt her cheeks burning, the sudden flash of memory in head of Luna, a riding crop in her mouth, chasing him down the castle corridors with his wings tied behind his back and wearing a saddle. Shaking the thoughts from her head, she closed the door and knocked, hearing movement from inside. “Excuse me, but this room is pre-booked. I'm going to have to ask you to leave.”

“Our apologies, Twilight. We will, of course, vacate the room. But can we have five minutes?”

“GET THE BUCK OUT OF MY ROOM!” The shout from the trolley caused everypony to duck as Dash got tired of waiting. “I HAVE JUST BEEN IN LABOUR FOR FOUR BUCKING HOURS, AND YOU WANT FIVE MINUETS? YOU'LL GET THE BACK OF MY HOOF IF YOU DON'T BUCK OFF! DON'T BUCKING TOUCH ME!”

Soarin's hoof slowly moved away from her shoulder, and he took a couple of steps away. Dash shot her hoof out and grabbed his, muttering an apology as the door swung open, Luna and Alec making their way out, having covered themselves with a couple of sheets. He walked over to an orderly and had a whispered conversation, then waved Luna over and they trotted off down the corridor together.

The trolley was pushed in and Dash transferred to the bed, leaving a queue of ponies out the door. One by one each of her friends came in and were shown the newest addition to the Smokestack family. It was a pegasus colt, who shared his father's coat and his mother's mane, something that Bifrost said was expected, as it switched genders every generation. Finally Prism Blast came in, hopping it into Soarin's lap as Dash held the foal. “What's his name, mommy?”

Dash turned her head and smiled over at Soarin, who stroked her tired face with a hoof as he turned to their daughter. “His name is Flaring Haze.”


The first stallion stepped out of the train, looking around at the sparely populated town of Appleloosa. With a nod of his head nine more Royal Guards disembarked, forming a line behind him. A local stallion made his way towards them, and they saw he was the town sheriff. “Well howdy, and welcome t' Appleloosa fellas, name's Shooting Star. Can Ah interest y'all in a drink before we get started?”

“No thank you, we need to get this sorted out as soon as possible. Where is the meeting to take place?” Shooting Star looked over the group sent to help, noting that the one in charge seemed to be trying to hide himself, wearing a black cloak and hood instead of the usual armour.

“In t' town hall. Ah'll show you the way.” They trotted to a large single story building overlooking the town on one side, and the apple orchard on the other. Upon entering the guards spread out to check the area, whilst Shooting Star and the other one pushed through into the council chambers, currently housing a single buffalo, changeling and griffon. There was another pony inside, waiting to write down the meeting's transcript.

The stallion made his way to the head of the table, removing his cloak and taking a seat, ignoring the shocked gasps and stares of the others. Warding Spear looked around at the... 'ambassadors' and tried to remember his briefing. Why the buck Celestia or Luna... hay, even Princess Sparkle couldn't deal with this, he didn't know, but he'd still try for a peaceful outcome. “Right then, what's the problem?”

The changeling and griffon immediately started shouting at him, each trying to out do the other. The volume got higher and higher until Spear slammed his hoof onto the table, culling them into silence. He didn't doubt that it would have descended into violence without the town guard present. “Sheriff Star!”

“Yes sir?”

“Which one was here first?”

“Well... that would be t' changelings. They've been around here for a good eight years now. The griffons only moved in a couple of months ago.”

“And you, buffalo?”

“You know, I have a name. Which happens to be Chief Strongheart. Anyway, the buffalo are not that bothered with who our neighbours are, but we do not want this to end in bloodshed. This region has seen enough in the past.”

“I see. Griffon, and I do not care for your name, why have you chosen to settle here, instead of returning to Griffica like the other tribes?”

“Because of our legacy. They became the Blackbeaks.” Spear didn't know who they were, so called one of the Royal Guard over and had a hushed conversation with him, eyeing the griffon suspiciously.

“I see. Well, it would seem we are at an impasse.” He locked his gaze with the griffon, smiling softly. “Unless... the Blackbeaks have already paid for those actions. You are free to return to Grffica, and will more than likely be welcomed with open hooves. Talons. Whatever. Anyway, Emperor Grosvenor and his mate Gilda are kind and just. I am sure they will find a place for you within the empire.”

“So... we can go home?” Spear nodded, passing over a royal travelling order, allowing them free travel within Equestria to do so. “I accept, but there is one other thing. And that is the matter of the missing griffons, more than likely killed by those bugs.”

Spear looked to the other side of the table, gauging the reaction of the changeling sat there. He remained passively neutral, not showing one hint of emotion. Then again, he was a changeling... on that Spear recognised. “Prince Catalyst, is that you?”

“Yes, it is I.”

“You've gotten old. Anyway, what do you say to these accusations?”

“Yes, we have them. They were captured attempting to destroy our hive in the making. But they are very much alive, and we will be glad to return them once we have a settlement.”

“And do we?” Catalyst nodded, leaving the decision to the griffon, who nodded as well. Both parties left the room in opposite directions, whilst Spear just massaged his head. He may have been order to do this, but Celestia had better be paying him.

“So... how about that drink. Ah'm sure mah wife won't mind if Ah get home late.”

“I do not think so Star. It's your turn to look after Strong Star tonight, as I am having a mare's night out. You know this.” Spear watched unblinking as the buffalo left the room, and then he noticed the smaller one behind her legs, having the body of an earth pony. He turned his gaze back to the sheriff.

“Sorry, but I have... a mare waiting for me back in Canterlot.”

“Probably a good thing too, little Strongheart seemed a tad annoyed.”

“THAT'S CHIEF STRONGHEART, OR I'LL TELL DAD!”

“SORRY HONEY! Well, Ah gotta run. Thanks for all yer help, and don't y'all be a stranger now, ya hear?” Spear got up and left, the Royal Guards nodding at him, and together they headed back to the train station, ready to head home.


Seven stallions stood around an eighth, all having a laugh at his expense. After all, that's what a wedding reception was all about. The vow had been said, they had promised themselves to each other and forsaken all others. And yet the group could still see a hint of fear in Braeburn's eyes. Mac noticed, and sat down next to him. “Brae, snap outta it. You're a married stallion now, an' that ain't even gonna change.”

“Ah know Mac... but what if Ah can't... please her?”

“Ah'm sure you'll be fine. All those mare back in Appleloosa... you musta being doin' somethin' right.”

“Ah... they... Mac, nothin' happened with them. Ah just took 'em out fer a nice meal, and that was it.”

“Really? Ya mean... ya never... with a mare?”

“No... Ah haven't.”

“Well... dang, Brae. Ah don't think that'll be a problem. Ah don't think that Mrs Apple is t' kinda pony t' sleep around.”

“Mrs Apple... speakin' of her... Ah guess it's time fer my first dance with mah wife, huh?” Mac smiled as he noticed Fluttershy making her way over, Braeburn rising to meet her halfway. Upon a nod from a five month pregnant Princess Cadence, the music changed to a slow, romantic piece. After a few minutes the other couples joined them on the dance floor, but something caught Alec's attention.

Off to one corner was Blazing Petal, wearing a simple yellow dress. But what Alec had noticed was that she was alone. He nodded in her direction, ensuring that Luna saw her, and they left the dance floor, Luna heading towards the mare. “Miss Petal, is everything all right?”

“Hmm? Oh, your majesty! Forgive me, I... was just thinking, that's all. It's nothing to worry about. Is there something you need?”

“Petal, this is a celebration, one which you have the night off for. If you don't mind me asking... why are you alone?”

“Because that's how it's always been for me. Something good comes along, and then it gets removed, whether by parents getting a new job or... a demon from another world. Something out there doesn't want me to be happy, and until I find it and kick it's flank, I won't be.”

“That is a rather pessimistic view of life. Tell me... what do you want?”

“I... don't know.”


On a empty balcony above the party grounds stood a lone stallion, his single eye looking up to the starry sky. His mane floated around in a minuscule breeze, giving a slight nip to the air. It didn't bother him though, as his cloak was quite thick. He ignored the door opening behind him, and the pony that sat in the chair that was present. “Beautiful, aren't they?”

“You could say that. They're also... dangerous.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Well... knowing what's out there... this world is not ready. I hope that they stay out there... unless you happen to know them, sire.”

“Spear, what did I say about that shit? Stop it. And I can swear as long as the twins aren't around. So why are you up here, when the party is down there?”

“I don't deserve to be happy. It matters not what you or any other say, I still don't deserve it.”

“What about making others happy?”

“Want to kill me still? Or perhaps something else.”

“Actually... I was thinking of Blazing Petal. And that box that you set down on the railings a few minutes ago.”

“I have nothing to offer her any more.”

“Whatever. Follow me.” Alec turned and entered the room, Spear following. Inside was a white unicorn mare, a selection of sewing supplies and a few suits next to her. “Rarity, how long do you think it would take to refit a suit to him.”

“Hmm... I will have to use one of Big Mac's old ones, adjust it for the wings... and that dreadful thing on your face can certainly be changed.”

“Um... do I get a choice in the matter?” His answer was in the form of a tape measure floating around him, Rarity coming up close and removing the cloak. There was no reaction from the mare as she continued to get what she needed, and then began to work.

“Right... we need some of this... maybe a touch of... open this up a little... cut two holes here and stitch the edge.” After around half an hour Spear was now dressed in a black suit, much to his consternation. “Right, one last thing.” He took a step back as her hoof came up to his face.

“Please... let me keep this.” Rarity gave him a confused look before seeing Alec nod, and she stepped away. “Thank you. Now what? I mean, thanks for the clothes, but why?” The box he had was floated over and set into a pocket, one that he could reach with a wing.

“Go back out on to the balcony, and wait.” He did so, and twenty minutes later he was joined by another pony, but this one kept their distance. Spear turned around and his mouth dropped open at what he saw, causing Petal to blush.

“Hey... nice night, huh?”

Beautiful...”

“That again?”

“Hmm? Oh, sorry. Yes, it is a nice night.” Petal trotted forward and past him, standing next to the balcony and staring over the sky. Spear noticed she was shivering a little, and crept forward slowly, sliding his wing over her back. She looked over her shoulder and pushed against his side, nuzzling his cheek. Spear felt something move on the other side, seeing the box come out of his pocket in a beige aura, snapping it up with a wing. “Hey... Petal... I've got something for you. I... hope you like it.”

He brought the box around, watching as she opened it to reveal a hoof ring. From inside the room, Alec and Luna stood waiting, watching out the window. They pulled away with a smile as Petal pressed Spear back onto the chair, laying on his chest. The royal couple left the room, and instead of rejoining the party, made their way back to their chambers. They needed time to themselves, and Faust had already said she'd have the twins for the night.

There was movement behind them, but Luna dismissed her personal guard, letting them have the evening off. Once they were alone, she continued walking, swinging her hips in such a way that she knew Alec wouldn't even stop for a drink... or making him walk in to a wall, depending on how she felt.

Author's Note:

I did try to get the wedding scene, but it all seemed so contrived, so I skipped ahead to the reception...

And I think you all knew the route I was taking with Spear and Petal.