• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 809 Views, 52 Comments

The Gathering Storm Part IV: The Continuing Struggle - WiskeyMikeOne



Part four of the Gathering Storm sires of mlp fan fiction

  • ...
1
 52
 809

Chapter Five: Friend Indeed

Chapter Five
Friend Indeed

“I can’t do it.”

“C’mon Whirl.”

“No I can’t. You do it.”

“Oh fine. I understand that she’s a bit of a loud mouth but why do you hate her so much?” Dashie said as she knocked on the wooden door.

“I don’t hate her; I just hate her guts, that’s all.”

Dashie scoffed. The door opened via magic.

“What do you want? Don’t you know that the grate a powerful Trixie is busy?” her voice came from the darkness.

“Actually I don’t.” said Dashie.

“This better be important!”

“Actually it is. It’s more important than anything that you have ever done in your sort life.”

“Ah Whirlwind. If you’re here then it must be important. Hmm let me guess another mare in your life needs waking up?”

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit Trixie. This time not only I need you but the Republic dose.”

Trixie’s mood soon shifted.

“I’m listening.”

“Actually can we come in?” I asked.

“Absolutely not!”

“It’s classified. We can’t afford the Empire finding out about this. You never know…there might be spies hiding in the shadows.” Said Dashie as she was looking around.

“Very well. But don’t touch anything.”

With a high ceiling and window, alchemy lab in the corner, shelves full of ingredients and jars with buck knows what in them her room felt more like a wizards laboratory than a living quarters.

“Wow Trixie this is.” Said Dashie as she was getting a closer look at the blubbering alchemy lab.

“Amazing, fantastic, stupendous?” Said Trixie standing in front of her desk.

“Wired.”

Trixie snubbed Dashie’s comment. I chuckled to myself.

“Now what’s all this about?” she asked.

Dashie and I told Trixie about the progress that Twilight and her friends had with finding the new wielders of the elements of harmony.

“And what has this got to do with me?”

Dashie and I looked at each other.

“We believe, well everypony believes that you might be the element of magic.” Dashie said whilst cringing.

“You fit the description. No friends and talented with magic.” I added.

Trixie went silent for a moment, when she spoke her voice went a bit quite.

“Do-Do you have any proof?”

“Well…no. It’s just a hunch.”

“Okay. What do I have to do?”

“You know the ponies we mentioned; well you have to befriend them.” Said Dashie.

“You have to accept their friendship on an emotional level, you can’t just say. I’m your friend, problem solved. You have to mean it. You have to feel it, in your heart. Wow that sounds so corny.”

“And what If I don’t want to be there friend.”

“What!” said Dashie as she flew into the air out of shock.

“Maybe I don’t want to be there friend. From what ‘ve just heard they sound like a bunch of freaks.”

“Trixie. You have to at least try.” I added.

“The Grate and Powerful Trixie does not need friends. I have my magic and that’s all I need.”

“I sewer to Faust if she says Grate and Powerful one more time.” I said under my breath but Dashie interrupted me.

“You know who you sound like? Twilight before she knew myself, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy. Think on that!” Dashie flew towards the door.

Trixie sat back down on her chain and started reading an old book on her desk.

“You still here?” she asked me without taking her eyes off of the book.

“I need you to try. Can you do that?”

“Do you have any evidence to say that I’m the element of Magic?”

“Like we said before, it’s just a hunch.” I turned and left but before I closed the door behind myself I said one more thing.
“Oh and by the way. It wasn’t I who said that you were Magic. It was Twilight.” I saw Trixie lift her head from the book before I closed the door.

“That will make her think.” Said Dashie.

“I hope so.” We both started to walk down the corridor.

“But what if she-?”

“If she doesn’t play ball then I will have words with Luna. She is the only pony Trixie will talk to. Come to think of it Luna is the only friend she has.”

“Well she’s goanna have more soon so she better get used to it.”

“Can you ask Twilight and your friends to keep an eye on the new elements and guide them.”

“Sure. But what about me?”

“We’ve got work to do.”

*

The night I and Dashie talked to Trixie I sent an encoded message to the Defector asking for information on Le Mareian inland east coast defences. But the MoD wanted to know about the delivery system and the messages I received, I think they felt a little left out or annoyed about the whole “Whirlwind has a pen pal giving him information about imperial postilions.” So to show I had nothing to hide so two weeks later I invited the MoD to the place where the eagle carrying the messages lands. Unfortuenly that happened to be my room.

“Okay everypony make yourself at home and please try not to brake anything. Yes Caramel I’m talking to you.”

“Hay!”

“Very nice room Whirlwind.”

“Uh…thank you Bon Voyage.”

“Wow look at that bed!”

“No Caramel no!”

Caramel jumped into the air and landed face down on my neat bed.

“Oh my god this is so comfy!”

“Need I remained you Caramel that we are here to receive a message from the defector. We are not here to ruin Whirlwinds room.” Said Intel.

“Buck the message; I’ll be taking my nap now.” Said Caramel whose words were muffled by my pillow. Intel rolled his eyes.
“So Whirlwind, when will the bird get here?” he asked me.

“Within the next half an hour.”

“Why is that?”

“Do I look like a bloody bird?”

The room fell silent, then I realised. Ah the wings…right.

“Anyway. I don’t know why?”

“So you don’t know the identity of the pony who is giving you this information. You don’t know there where about’s and you don’t know where the bird is. For all we know it’s probably on Solar Flares throne and she’s reading the message!”

“I don’t like your tone Intel.”

“Well I don’t like this!” He squared up to me and I did the same back. Our foreheads were a few inches away. Our standoff was interrupted by the squawk of and eagle.

“It’s here!” said Boxy outside on the balcony.

The rest of the MoD rushed out to the balcony but I and Intel continued starting at each other for a few moments. He walked away first, and I followed soon after. I didn't know what he was thinking but if he ever squared up to me again I would make sure Shamrock had some company in the afterlife.

On the banister stood the carrier eagle, the message was inside a little tube on its belly.

“Hello Sarah.”

“Wait. You know this bird?” asked Bon Voyage.

“Yep, she’s delivered a few messages to me in the past. Plus her name is on an identification band around her claw, Messenger A-6 LRC Sarah.”

“LRC?” asked Bon Voyage.

“Long Rage Communication.” Said Rainbow Dash.

I took the message out of the tube, Sarah flew to her nest in one of the castles may towers . I walked back inside and to my desk so I could start translating the code.

“Where is she going?” asked Bon.

“She has a nest in observatory tower.” I took out a pen and paper then started to translate.

I was a complicated system that the Dawnguard used but I tweaked it to make it my own. Basically the message was a bunch of numbers in groups, if the group was an odd number I would take the fourth number and times it my how may letters were in the group then dived that number my how many letters were in the whole message. The last step was a secret that only I and the defector knew.

A couple of minutes went by; Caramel woke from his nap and found my liquor cabinet and started to pour drinks for everypony.

“Whirl what can I use?” he asked me with his head in the cabinet.

“Everything expect the Vodka. That’s was a gift from Molotov to be open when the war ends.”

“What about the half empty Jameson’s Whiskey?”

I paused; it was a gift form Shamrock for my birthday last year.

“No.” I replied.

A few more minutes went by; Dashie sat a drink down for me on my desk.

“Is it?” I asked her.

“Scotch on the rocks. You’re favourite.”

“Thanks.”

“How’s it going?” she asked me.

“Okay. There’s a lot more intel in this message than usual.”

“That’s good right?”

“Yeah but it’s very brief.” I took a sip of Whiskey, I needed it.

Eventually I finished the translation.

“Mare’s and Gentlecolts, gather around its story time.” A few chuckled at my joke. I proceed to read the translation.

“I’ll skip the boring stuff. Substantial enemy presence on the east coast of Le Mare (20,000 plus infantry, 3 infantry divisions and 2 armoured divisions) I advise landing your forces on the south beaches. In land strongpoints: Pétain fortress. It’s mostly intact and guards the valley leading into the heartland of the country, I advise avoiding it or laying siege but be prepared for a long one, that fortress was designed to with stand any siege.

Air force has a presence in the air but nothing substantial. Navy is moored off of the south west coast, if you land on the south the navy’s eastern flank will be exposed to a counter attack.
Sorry for the briefness of this report we are under a lot of pressure from the Empire. I think they’re on to us. This might be my last report for a while, if you have heard nothing from us by this time next month assume the worse.
God’s speed to you and the Republic.

D.”

There was a brief moment of silence; I think everypony was still taking in the information. I was a bit more concerned with last paragraph. “I think they’re on to us.” That had me worried but I couldn’t show it otherwise everypony would lose faith.

“Well there you have it. As you heard the intel is good and the means of which it’s delivered is safe and the coding is secure.”

“So only yourself and the Defector know how to decode it?” Box asked me.

“That’s right.” I said after finishing off the last mouthful of my whiskey.

“Well that’s good enough for me; I think we’ve got what we need. Let’s head back to the bunker. We’ve got to re-plan this invasion.” Said Bon.

Everypony started to leave my room. My gaze was fixed on Intel but he didn’t look at me. I think he got the message.

“Caramel, you too.”

“Sorry Whirl. But that bed of yours, it’s so comfy.” He looked so unhappy. Before he left I called out to him.

“Look if you like the bed so much I can get you one from Bed’s n Basins on the condor of 3rd street.”

“No it’s not that.” He closed the door and sat down on my sofa.

“It’s Sea Breeze.”

“Ah.”

“It’s been six years since I’ve last seen her. I don’t know where she is or how she is doing.”

I was leaning on my desk, I couldn’t think on what to say next.

“I’m sure she’s feeling the same way. But right now the best thing for you to do is too not think about her. You don’t want to slip into a depressive state do you? After all depression won’t suite you.”

“What do you know, you’ve got nopony.” Caramel left my room in a huff.

For the past couple of months I’ve been so caught up in the war I forgot about my friends back home. How were they, what have they been doing? I’d missed so much but I suppose that happens to everypony in the military and away fighting, they miss out on their lives back home.

I went out on the balcony and called Sarah with a whistle. She flew down from her nest, disappearing in the sun light and then landed on the banister next to me. I gave her a little treat that I had in my pocket and stroked her.

“I guess you’re also affected by this war too. Taken from your parents at a young age, thrown in carrier training and have been doing that ever since. No time to live and no time to be.”

My thoughts turned to Shamrock as I looked out into the meadow and to some jets flying high in the sky. Shamrock never got a chance to say goodbye to anypony but myself. Neither his parents nor any of his other friends got a chance to say good bye either.

It was still early in the day so thought instead of going to the meeting I should visit those closest to me. I rushed out of my room and went to the one pony that I’ve taken for granted.

*

Heavy metal music was blaring when I open the side door to my hangar. Night Fury was there as always. In the cockpit’s reflection I could see the radio on the bench next to me. I turned it down.

“Hello?!” shouted Tune Up.

“Hi it’s me!” I answered. “Where are you?!”

“In here.” Her voice had a slight echo to it.

I made my way to the rear of Night Fury and saw Tune Up’s tail sticking out of the exhaust!

“Tune Up. What in the name of Luna are you doing?”

“Well I wanted to modify the exhaust so that the inner wall wouldn’t heat up as much and I kinda…”

“Got stuck?”

“Yeah. Thank god you’re here I’ve been here for hours!”

“What?!”

“Ha ha got ‘cha!”

“Very funny.”

“I’ve only been here for a minute or two. Would you mind?”

“Sure.” I trotted over to her and gripped her hoofs.

“Okay. One, two, three!” I pulled gently at first then when I realised she wasn't caught on anything I pulled with all of my strength. She popped out and landed on me. We were face to face.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah I’m fine.”

We laid there for a few moments; it felt awkward but nice at the same time. Tune Up started to blush and I think so did I.
“You know under all of that oil on your face I can still she you blushing.”

“Is that a bad thing?” she whispered.

“No at all I replied.” My heart was now racing I’d never felt this way before, was I In love? Slowly her face moved closer to mine.

We kissed. After we finished Tune Up gave a little smile.

“You’ve got oil on your nose.” She said to me.

“Huh?” I went crossed eyed to try and see it. Tune Up giggled and rolled off of me, I sat up and wiped off the oil from my nose.

“Well that was-”

“Yeah it was very-“

I looked at her lying on the floor, we were both lost for words. I always thought of her as a friend but now I saw her in a new light. I now saw her as a pony that I could spend time with and not talk about the war or the military. And I could tell that she felt the same way. I had no idea where she got these emotions form and I never gave off any signal that I was interested in her. Maybe she adores me for what I’m perceived as. A hero. I know I was popular with the mares, in Mare Monthly magazine I was voted “Number one stallion who I have a secret crush on.” With over 2300 anonymous votes! I had a thought run through my head of running out of the hangar and trying to avoid her for as long as I can. But then I remembered why I was here in the first place, to talk to Tune Up. I got up.

“So how are you anyway?”

“Better now.”

“Yeah I thought as much. Listen Tune Up I know you like me but do you like me for what I ‘am now or for who I was before all of this?” I gestured towards Night Fury.

“I don’t understand?” she got up too.

“Do you like, Sky Marshall Whirlwind the commander of the NLRAF and the pony who stood up to the Empire or do you like Whirlwind the stallion with the white mane and green coat?”

She got up, stood in front of me and lent forward for another kiss.

“Both.” She whispered.

“Okay then.” We kissed once again. Afterwards I turned to leave the hanger but before I reached the door I turned around.

“Hay. I’m free tonight, how about you and me go out to dinner.”

“I’d love that!”

“I’ll meet you at your place. 6 o’clock?”

“Great.” Again through the oil I could see her face, she was lit up and had the biggest smile I’d ever seen on a mares face.
I gave her a wave then left the hangar. I walked a few paces from the door then realised I forgot to turn on the radio as I left. I listened and heard screaming.

“Ah she must have turned on the radio herself.” I listened closer and it was actually her screaming, screaming with joy.

*

During the course of the day I visited Spitfire and Sorin in their new home. It was a swanky apartment in the middle of the city similar to the ones you would find in Manehattan. They were settling in well but the apartment was pretty empty, all of their stuff was back in Equestria. To make ends meet Spitfire and Sorin established an aerobatics flight class in the local community centre, “First Flights” they called it and it was catching on. I joked with Sorin over a few drinks about tying the knot with Spitfire but they both came to a conclusion. “We’re too cool for marriage.”

I left them and made my way to my parent’s cottage on the outskirts of town. They lived in one of the many homes that Luna built with her magic when we first arrived here; they had now been converted to retirement homes for the elderly. Although all the houses were identical layout they all had their unique vibe. Some were colourful, some had gardens full of flowers and some were plain and boring. I tapped on my parent’s door but there was no answer I tapped again and nothing. I looked into the front room though the window but there was nopony there.

“Sorry there sonny you’ve just missed them.” There was an old stallion next door in his garden on a deck chair just sitting there watching life go by.

“Oh. Do you know where they've gone?”

“Lilly Leaf’s house, two streets over. Number 213.”

“Thank you.” I looked at my watch. 17:10 said the readout.

“I’m kinda in a rush to get back. Could you tell them I call around please?”

“Sure thing sonny.”

“Thank you.” I was half way down the street when the old colt called out to me.

“Who shall I say called round?!”

“There son, Whirlwind!”

“Oh. They never told me they had and children.”

I stopped in my tracks. “What!” I thought to myself .I shrugged off the old colt’s words off and took off in the sky. I had to get back and get ready for my date.

*

The date went well, I had a good time and I’m sure Tune Up did as well. When went for dinner at my favourite restaurant then went out clubbing. Tune Up is not one for formality so I thought I would surprise her and go to Dj-Pon3’s Rave House. She enjoyed it and so did I aside from the occasional stare of recognition I got from some ponies

I woke up the next morning with an hour to spare before another meeting with the MoD, as I was getting ready I was still thinking about Tune Up I couldn’t get her t of my head. After I had my shower and got change and as I was leaving I decided to get one of those pictures that Tune Up gave me a while back and keep it on me.

I went into my bed side desk and got out the private pics of Tune Up that she gave me a while back and searched through them trying to find one with her fully clothed and tasteful. Suddenly my room door flew open.

“Whirl you still here?”

“Be there in a sec Dashie!” I panicked and tried to throw the pics back into the draw.

“What have you got there?”

“Nothing, nothing!”

“Is that your stash of Playcolt?”

“No!”

“Well what is it then!” She flew over to me and tried to grab the pics.

“There secret documents!” Is said in a blind panic.

“Like buck they are. Give `em to me!” Her laughing didn’t help. I held them at arm’s length just out of her reach. Then she found my weakness.

“No no stop!” she started to tickle me.

“No not behind the wings!”

Dashie grabbed the pics from my grip.

“Whoa! Whirl-wind who is this? She’s hot!”

“Nopony nopony at all!” she held me back with her hoof; I couldn't reach the photos.

“Wow she’s very bendy. Wait a minute…It’s Tune Up!”

“No it aint!”

“Then explain the headphones and crossed spanner and screwdriver cutie mark!”

“Oh okay fine. Yes it’s Tune Up.”

“Is she single?”

“I hope not because I went on a date with her last night.”

“That’s nice…”

“Stop looking at `em!” I snatched them from her grip.

“Wait you what?”

“I went out with her last night.”

“And she gave you those?”

“Yes. No. She gave me them when we were just about to set sail for Russhire.”

“That was over three months ago.”

“Yep.”

“And last night is when you decided to ask her out.”

“Yeah.”

“Wow you are slow.”

“Thanks for the reminder.”

I got up and chose a decent photo and put it in my chest pocket and put the rest away in the draw.

“So how was it?”

“Very enjoyable, we had a good time. We went out for a meal then out clubbing.”

“Did you go around to her place afterwards?” Dashie had big grin on her face and a raised eye brow.

“Just to walk her home Dashie nothing else happened. But I would appreciate it if you didn’t mention it to anypony and in particular how to you found out.”

“No problem.”

When I shut my room door behind us Dashie took off down the corridor signing.

“Whirlwind and Tune Up sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

I eventually caught up with her and yanked on her tail.

“What are you five?”

We laugh as we made our way to the meeting.

*

The next week was filled with meetings after meetings after meetings, I know planning an invasion was a long and highly detailed process but for me it was taking up too much of my time and the longer we waited the more time the Empire had to strengthen their defences. I was growing impatient and became a little frustrated and short tempered.

“All right that’s the medical aspect of the operation solved. What’s next?”

“Logistics.” Said Intel.

I gave out a long groan and so did the rest of the MoD staff.

“We’ve been over that a thousand times already.” Said Bon Voyage.

“There is still something’s that need to be gone over again. Number One, Transport.” Intel continued to talk as I spoke to the newly appointed chief of special ops. General Tree Top.

“Any development on the Pétain fortress problem?” I asked him.

“Well I’ve been having several meetings with the Ministry of Intelligence for the past week and we’ve come up a conclusion.”

“Yes?”

Tree Top just shook his head.

“Buck.” I said as I hit the table.

“The only option is to lay siege to the fortress.”

“We need to take Pétain fortress. It’s the gate way to Pareins and the flat lands of the west otherwise we’ll be stuck in the mountains and the desert.”

“We could go around it.”

“How?” I reached across the table and grabbed one of the maps of Le Mare.

“Pétain guards the only valley that our forces can get through.”

“What about the arctic pass?”

“Are you serious?” I looked at him.

“Colonel Blizzard and his artic expedition team could clear a path for the ground forces, there experts in artic warfare.”

“That could work.” I said whilst looking at the map.

“Where’s Colonel Blizzard now.”

“Here in Manechester.”

I called over a guard.

“Find Colonel Blizzard and tell him that I would like a word with him.”

“Yes sir.”

The guard came back half an hour later.

“Sorry sir we cannot get through to him.”

“Must be busy. He must be organizing another expedition.” Said Tree Top.

“No sir. We are getting no reception on his cell.” Said the guard.

“What? I’ll go find out what’s going on.” Said Tree Top as he got out of his chair.

“Keep me up to date.” I said to him before he left the table.

Time went by and still no word from Tree Top or Blizzard. I was constantly checking my phone to see if I missed any messages. My phone vibrated in my pocket, it was Tree Top.

“Hello.”

“Sir we have a problem.”

“What kind of problem?” I got out of my chair and went behind one of the pillars.

“Blizzard and his men are missing sir.” I apologised to everypony and left the meeting and headed to the MoD bunker.

“Any idea where they are?”

“No sir.”

“I’ll call you back in five.” I then called Paper Clip in the MoD bunker.

“Clip I need you to find out if Blizzard and his arctic expedition team have gone anywhere.”

“One moment sir.” I heard the tapping of keys.

“It appears Blizzard and his team have been order to set up a base of operations in the South Pole.”

“South pole, why?”

“Apparently to find an alternative route to Equestria.”

“Okay I’ll give him that. So who gave the order because it wasn’t me?”

“One moment sir. Well according to this you did give the order sir.”

“That’s impossible, send it to me.”

My phone’s menu screen was replaced by the order doc that I supposedly signed.

Order number: 6171

Recipient: Colonel Blizzard.

You are to prepare your unit for deployment. The ministry of defence and I have come to an agreement that the South Pole may hide a path to Equestria thought the black mountains. Your objective is to establish a base of operations to work from. Seek out a satisfactory route for our army and report back your findings.

Code name Bookmark will accompany you. She has business in the region that could end this war sooner rather than later.
Departure will be at 3:00am (cover of darkness) on the 12th of this month from the civilian port of Manechester.
Yours.

Sky Marshall Whirlwind O.N.L.R

“I don’t remember this at all. Contact Blizzard now!”

“Yes sir.”

I was now storming to the bunker. I couldn't believe it; somepony forged my signature and gave an order behind my back. A few names went through my head. Intel, Bon Voyage, Mayor Mare.

“I’m not getting through sir, the weather must be interfering.”

“Scramble Emergency Response Unit: Uniform, send them to the South Pole and get Blizzard and his team out of there!”

“Yes sir.”

“And tell them to wait for me.”

“Yes…sir. Sir do you think that is wise?”

“I need to find out what the buck is going on. Who gave the order and why Twilight Sparkle is down there when she has duties here? I need to know now. If there is a mole giving out fake orders and sending our forces to the other side of the globe whilst we are on the brink of invasion, then we need to find them ASAP.”

“I’ll notify ERU Uniform. You’d best pack for cold weather sir, I’m looking at the weather front image for the South Pole and it’s bad. Really bad.”

“Don’t worry about me. Notify MI and the war cabinet of the situation but keep it quiet. Also keep trying to get in contact with Blizzard.”

“Will do sir.”

Author's Note:

Wow, this is the longest chapter I've ever wrote. What do you think? Back to the old way or do you prefer longer chapters like this one?

P.S
Sorry about the light shipping :P