• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 810 Views, 52 Comments

The Gathering Storm Part IV: The Continuing Struggle - WiskeyMikeOne



Part four of the Gathering Storm sires of mlp fan fiction

  • ...
1
 52
 810

Chapter Four: A Helping Hoof

Chapter Four
A Helping Hoof

Before entering the throne room I took a few minutes to prepare what to say in the meeting. I was pacing up and down the corridor.

“Everything alright sir?” Said the guard at the door.

“Oh everything’s fine privet!” I said sarcastically. “Once again, God spits on my face and calls it rain!”

The other guard giggled.

“Oh do you find that amusing!”

“No sir.”

“Then why were you laughing?”

“I - um well.” He started to sweat.

“Well maybe you will find latrine duty for a month amusing too eh!”

“N-No sir!”

“Good.” I walked away and looked out of the window. I heard the guard behind me breathe a sigh of relief. The doors to the throne room opened.

“Whirlwind, it’s you. What was all that shouting about?” asked Twilight standing in the door way.

“Just entertaining the troops, it’s important to keep their moral up. I am I right lads?” I asked the guards.

“Yes sir.” They responded in unison.

I walked passed Twilight and in to the throne room. Maps and papers filled the table, the members watch me as I entered.

“Whirlwind, where is Molotov?” asked Intel.

“Is he okay?” asked Bon.

I ignored the questions .I made it to the table but didn’t sit down. I looked through the files and maps as if nothing was wrong.

“Whirl, where is Molotov?” asked Dashie.

“He’s not coming.” I didn’t look at her; I just kept my head down and pretended to read an open file. The room fell silent for a few moments.

“Where were we?” I asked everypony.

“Um yes we were…well.”

“Out with it Intel!”

“Well we were looking over the Intelligence report and we noticed that there is a lot of information on page 32 and 33 regarding the positions of Imperial strong points on the east coast of Le Mare.”

“And?”

“We at the Ministry of Intelligence don’t have this information yet. Whirlwind, where are you getting this information from?”

“Ah yes. I was going to tell you a while back, but my little reunion with my parent’s got in the way. I have somepony inside the Empire feeding us that information.” They all looked shocked.

“W-Who?” asked Dashie.

“I don’t know. Apparently I know them and they know me but I haven’t been given a name or their gender. Security you know.”

“So all this time we have been making decisions from intel that only you have received and from an unknown source!” said Intel looking over the rim of his glasses at me.

“That’s correct.”

“I don’t believe this!”

“Well you better! Because the intel we have received up to now has been solid. If it weren’t for the Defector we wouldn’t be able to pinpoint the exact location of the remaining Titian missiles in Ghastly Gorge.”

“The Defector?” asked Bon.

“Whoever they are, there ex-Dawnguard. They contact me via feather. So I put two and two together.”

“What’s feather?” asked Intel.

“An emergency communication system that the empire developed. It’s meant to be used when comm’s are down and a message has to be delivered over a long distance. It’s carrier birds.”

Intel scoffed at Dashie explanation.

“Was it ever used?” asked Boxy.

“No. Not until now.” I said.

“So we are putting our fair in birds, is that it?”

“Not just any birds. Eagles. There trained to avoid city’s and populated areas and the message they carry is encoded, and only a members of the Dawnguard know how to crack it.” Said Dashie.

“Okay. Any idea who it could be?” asked Intel.

“Boxer, Window Shine, or maybe General Skyswim. Just because the intel is so detailed. Whoever it is I trust them, and should be good enough for you Intel.”

He nodded.

“Right let’s get down to business. We’ve got an invasion to plan. Sorry, mission of liberation.” I said to Bon.

*

The meeting lasted for hours. We hadn’t come up with a final assault plan but we had a picture in our heads on how we are going to invade. At the end of the meeting Dashie pulled me aside.

“Moving up in the world eh?” she tapped my rank pin.

“Oh yeah, that.”

“Is Molotov that bad?”

“Dashie, you have no idea.” I was surprised nopony knew about Molotov throwing himself off of the balcony, the sound of the shattering glass would have been enough to wake half the castle.

“He left you in charge?”

“Looks like it.” I started to clear the table.

“General Whirlwind. Meh I don’t sound right to me.” Dashie gave me a hoof to clear up the documents.

“I feel the same. But somepony has to do it. I just hope I can remember the training that the Dawngurad gave us.”

“That’s so ironic.”

“Yeah I suppose it is.” We laughed but it was interrupted by Twilight who entered the throne room.

“Ah good your here Whirlwind I guess I don’t have to go looking for you now.”

“Pardon?”

“While you have been fighting in Russhire, I along with my friends have been looking for the next ponies that represent the elements of harmony. And we’ve found them.”

“Brilliant!”

“Well almost all of them.”

“Oh, who’s missing?”

“Loyalty and Magic.”

“Ah.”

“But we have to find loyalty first and that’s Rainbows job.”

“In case you haven’t noticed Twilight I’ve been busy lately.”

“I know Rainbow Dash. But we need to find the pony who represents loyalty otherwise we’re stuck.”

“And the element’s that you have already found?” I asked.

“They’ll be here shortly. How goes the planning?”

“It’s coming along.” I replied. All three of us stood in an awkward silence for a moment.

“I’ll go a see what’s taking them so long.” Dashie flew out of the throne room, I tried to call after her but I thought best not, I didn’t want to offend Twilight.

“Nice work by the way. Finding the elements of harmony in such a short period of time is very impressive.”

“Thank you.”

“How did you find them?”

“Err well we kinda just knew, we could feel it. We search all over Manechester, I took us a while but we found them. Do you have any idea who loyalty is?”

The first pony I thought of was Shamrock but if he was loyalty then we were all bucked. The throne room door opened.

Twilight’s friends and the supposedly new elements of harmony entered. Dashie was hovering above them.

“Found `em. They were running a bit late cos some of them wanted to look at the castle.”

“Well that’s to be expected.” I chuckled to myself.

“Whirlwind this is-“

“Derpy!”

“Hello Whirlwind!”

“Laughter.” Added Twilight.

I couldn’t believe it, Derpy was laughter. I couldn’t help but think it was too her and not with her.

“Isn’t this exciting? Two ponies representing laugher in the same room, this is goanna be the best party EVER!” Pinkie Pie and Derpy started laughing as I was having a small heart attack.

“Pinks you know why your here, right?”

“Of course I do Dashie but we can still have fun!”

“Whirl are you okay?” Twilight asked me.

My left eye was twitching slightly.

“Of course why wouldn’t I be? Our very hope’s and lives hang in the balance and we’ve got googly eyed mare as one of the elements of harmony. I’m off to call Solar Flare and tell her we surrender.”

“Give them a change Whirlwind.” Said Dashie.

“Yeah you never know they could be the answer to all of our problems. Give them a chance.” Added Twilight.

“Do you remember the last time we gave Derpy a chance Dashie?”

“What happened?” asked Twilight .

Dashie took a breath to answer but I interrupted her.

“Derpy still wanted to fight for the Republic after she was rescued so we let her join the air force. Her first time in a jet, she landed the plane vertically. H-How is that even possible!”

“Relax Whirlwind!” said Dashie.

I let out a sigh.

“Okay. I’m fine, let’s just get this over with.”

“Whirlwind this is Octavia, she’s very generous.” Said Rarity.

“Charmed.” She put her hoof out. I shook it.

“Ah you must be from Britannica?” I asked.

“Yes. Buckinghamshire to be précis. And you?”

“Trottingham.”

“Ah I see.” She said with a smile.

We both kind of stood there for a while. Dashie coughed. Me and Octavia came back down to earth, Rarity and Octavia trotted towards the table. Dashie looked at me and raised her eyebrow she also had a smirk on her face.

“No.” I mouthed at her.

“Whirl this here is Carrot Top. I can honestly say that she is the most honest pony I’ve ever met. Besides me of course.”

“I hope so Applejack.” I shook Carrot Top’s hoof and she trotted towards the others. A stallion called Noteworthy represented Kindness completed the set, well almost. Loyalty and magic were still unaccountable but we had to make do for now.

Twilight explained to the new elements what was going on, I stayed. I wanted to be kept up to date. After the meeting I had a quick chat with Dashie and Twilight.

“That went well, so that leaves Loyalty and Magic. Can we start looking for Magic since it’s so hard to find loyalty?” I said to Dashie and Twilight.

“Humm I guess so. Nothing in the book says we can’t.” said Twilight.

“Okay so we need to find a unicorn that’s gifted with magic and has no friends.” We started walking towards the throne room door. Dashie put her hoof on the handle then she froze.

“Uh oh.”

“What is it Rainbow?”

“Whirl, do you have any idea who you’ve just described?”

“Nope.”

Dashie turned around and gave me a look. I was going over what I had just said in my head. Unicorn gifted with magic, no friends. Unicorn gifted with magic, no friends.

“Oh buck.”