• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 803 Views, 52 Comments

The Gathering Storm Part IV: The Continuing Struggle - WiskeyMikeOne



Part four of the Gathering Storm sires of mlp fan fiction

  • ...
1
 52
 803

Chapter Three: Ashes to ashes

Chapter Three
Ashes to ashes

I’d never known rain like it; it was if Faust herself was crying above us in the clouds, but our black umbrellas stop most of it hitting us. The once bright remembrance garden to ponies of olden times had lost its entire colour. Our mood at Shamrocks funeral sapped the joy and colour out of everything. A silver plague was erected on the north wall of the garden to honour Shamrocks memory. Luna had said a few words and laid her personal reef then Shamrocks parents laid theirs. I was the first up to place my rife on behalf of the NLRAF. I placed it down gently, and then saluted.

Here lies Air Marshall Shamrock who gave his life so that we may live.
21st of September 4312 - 7th of March 4338
Age 26
A hero of the New Luna Republic

I stood there for a while. I shook with rage and grief. Caramel came to my side and coved me with an umbrella, by now I was soaking wet, my beret weight my head down and my coat weight me down. Caramel escorted me back to my seat. When the funeral was over and everypony headed to the wake I stayed behind to think, not about Caramel but about Commander Hurricane. I stared at his stone statue. I heard a voice behind me.

“Whirl your soaking.”

“Am I, I hadn't noticed.”

Dashie covered me with her umbrella. We both stared at the statue for a few minutes.

“Why are you here?” she asked me.

“I was just thinking. How did Commander Hurricane cope with the loss of 8,000 men under his command in one day?”

“The battle of Theodan Hill?”

“Yeah.”

“Well. Being the great leader that he was I think he prepared himself. Unfortunaly for us we weren't prepared. Hay, you kinda look like him you know.”

I gave Dashie a disapproving look then walked away. I was half way to the castle door when the bell in the clock tower rang.

“Whirl! The plaque!”

I turned to see Rainbow Dash trying to pull the wall with Shamrock’s plague around. It was rotating slowly, both the plague and reefs. It slammed shut; a bare stone wall had replaced the memorial.

“Whirlwind, what’s going on?”

“I’m sorry Rainbow Dash. It has to be done.”

“What?”

A wave of blue light from the highest castle tower engulfed us and kept on expanding at a very fast rate.

“Whirl you’d better explain to me what’s happening.”

I couldn't face her; I turned away and headed towards the door. Rainbow Dash shot passed me and blocked my path.

“What’s going on, why has the plague gone, what was that blue light and… and…why are you crying?”

“When we called off the last search party last week Luna and I had a talk. We both came to the conclusion that the whole world would be better off if Shamrock’s death remained a secret.”

“W-Why?”

“Look around you, look up at the sky!” I said in frustration.

She did but she was still confused.

“It’s raining water, not blood.” I added.

Then I think it clicked for Dashie.

“Whirl so does that mean?”

“There is no first order.” I emphasised every word.

We stood there in silence for a moment; all that could be hear was the relentless rain.

“But isn’t that a good thing. No end of the world, no apocalypse.”

“No. Don’t you see? If the Empire found out then instead of stunning our men…they’ll start killing them.”

“And the blue light?”

“A memory spell casted by Luna herself. It will be as if Shamrock never existed.”

“But I can remember him.”

“I asked that you and I remain unaffected by the spell. Just because.”

She slapped me across the face, then started to stove me, crying as she did. I threw my hoofs around her and hugged her, she started sobbing on my shoulder. I hated myself for what I did but it was all for the greater good.

*

The next day and I had arranged a meeting in the throne room to discuss the military’s next step. I had arrived early to lay out the folders on the table. My mind was still on Shamrock but I tried to keep myself busy and not think about it. I was sat on my chair opposite Luna's throne; I was going through some paper work when Nightmare showed up.

“Whirlwind, I’m-”

“I’m not in the mood today Nightmare. I think it's best that you leave before I make you.”

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Wow I never knew spectra’s had a sense of condolence.” I kept my head down but I could tell she was sat on Luna’s throne.

“You think I’m a spectra. Ha. I am very real.”

Her last four words felt like they were being whispered right in my ear. I looked around and nothing was there. I hated when she did that. Soon after the members of the MoD entered the throne room, I stood to greet them. I greeted Bon Voyage, Intel, Box but when it came to Rainbow Dash we both decided not to look at each other. Bon Voyage saw what happened and come over to me.

“You okay?” she asked.

“I’m fine.”

“No you’re not. What’s wrong?”

“You won’t understand.”

“Let me guess. You’re jealous.”

“Jealous. Jealous of who?”

“Rainbow Dash. Flying into ghastly gorge and destroying the Titan missiles all by herself. If I were you I would be jealous too.”

I looked at Bon but I was lost for words, so I went along with it.

“Alight you got me, I am.”

“Ah ha I knew it. Don’t worry I’m sure when we land on Le Mare you will have plenty of opportunities to out shine her.”

“That’s what I intend to do.” I said with a fake smile.

Bon gave me a wink then made her way to her chair.

“Right. Now that we are all here we can start discussion about… er hang on. Where’s Molotov?” I asked everypony.

“We thought you knew?” said Intel.

“Obviously not.” I replied.

“Ever since that bomb whipped out Staliongrad he’s been locking in his office.”

“Really? I only gave him two weeks levee just to clear his head.”

“The kitchen staff leave food for him by the door so he is eating. But nopony has seen or heard anything from him.”

Out of frustration I threw my file on the table.

“And NOW you decide to tell me!”

Everypony around the table started looking at each other.

“You had so much on your plate what with the Titian Missiles and all. We didn't want to distract you.” Said Box.

“I’ll go talk to him. Intel, take over.” I said whilst walking away from the table.

“We've all tried but we didn't get any answer from him.” Bon called after me.

“He might be waiting for me to talk to him.”

“How do you know that?” asked Intel.

“I don’t.”

*

I knocked hard on Molotov’s office door, but no answer. I called out and nothing.

“Has he been out, at all.” I asked the Guard.

“No sir. I don’t think he's even in there, but I stay on guard just in case.”

I nodded. That’s what I liked to see, duty first. I knocked on the door again.

“Molotov! I’m coming in now, okay!”

I undid the latch and slowly opened the door. The lights were off in the room, the sunlight from the ceiling high window was the only source of light and the smell of cigar smoke, vodka and B.O hit me like a wall.

“Molotov? You in here?”

His desk and chair was right in front of the window, in the office chair I could make out a figure but it was in shadow, it had to have been Molotov.

As I walked in I couldn't help but notice the mess that his office was in. Books from the shelves on the floor and ripped down propaganda posters everywhere. I trod on one; I lifted my hoof to see Molotov’s face on the poster and some Russain writing.

“Fancied a bit of decorating eh?”

Nothing, no response, not even a grunt. Now I had my doubts.

“Molotov?”

I made my way up to the chair slowly.

“Molotov?”

He was slumped over the desk, motionless; his green cap covered his face. Thought's went through my head, did he end it all. I reach out to him. Suddenly his head shot up.

“Boo!”

I jumped backwards and drew my sword.

“Nightmare! You bucking bitch! Where is Molotov?!”

“Enjoying the view.” She gestured to the window.

I looked out and there he was standing on the balcony’s railings.

“Molotov no!”

I ran to the door but it was locked. I banged on the glass and yelled. He fell forward.

“No!”

I did the only thing I could think of, I grabbed the chair and threw it at the window. It shattered, I flew after him and caught him just before he hit the deck. He struggled and shouted in Russian. Back on the balcony and he made a brake for the railing again. I chomped on his tail and pulled him away from the edge. I smacked him across the face and spoke to him in Russhian.

“Look at me. Look at me!” I yelled in his face.

He whimpered and started to cry. The guard from outside the office door ran in.

“Sir!”

I held up my hoof to silence him.

“Wait outside.”
“But sir!”


“Wait outside dammit, that’s an order!”

He didn't move, he was more concerned about Molotov so I gave him a new order.

“A crowd will form here soon. Wait outside and don’t let them come in. I need a few minutes with Molotov.”

“Yes sir…”

Molotov was still sobbing on my shoulder. I lead him inside. He reached for a near empty bottle of vodka. I took it from his shaking hoofs.

“I think you've had enough already, don’t you?” I said to him in Russhian.

“I suppose your right.” He responded in Russhian. Form there on we kept the conversation in Russhian.

I retrieved his chair and set it up at his desk.

“Sit.” I order him. He did so and I sat on his desk.

“Now then, what the buck was that all about?”

He let out a long sigh.

“I wanted to end it.”

“End what, your life?”

“No. The shame. I failed my country, I failed my people…I failed myself.”

“It wasn't your fault; there was nothing you could have done. There was nothing any of us could have done. Before we could do anything it was too late. Have you heard anypony saying things about you?”

“N-No…”

“Well there you go then. Don’t presume anything. That’s one the first lessons you learn in the military right?”

“Yes, but… I don’t I think I should show my face for a awhile. My people don’t want a leader who can’t even protect his home town.”

He started to sob again.

“Listen to me Molotov. The other leaders of your country are prisoners; you are the only leader they have. They need you and so does the republic. The whole of the MoD and the MI (Ministry Of Intelligence) are in the throne room right now planning the invasion of Le Mare, we need you.”

“No Whirlwind. I’m done.” He took his general pin off of his jacket and gave it to me.

“They need you. You’re in charge of the Army now. I must return to Moscolt imedeantly.” He got up and started to walk away from me.

“Hold on one minute. I can’t command an Army I’m a pilot!”

“And a damn good one too. So I’m sure you’ll make a great soldier and General. You received a lot army training in the Dawnguard yes? Your actions in the two rescue ops that you organised are legendary.”

I flew after him and caught him before he reached the door.

“But they were covert operations. You’re asking me to lead an army of over 200,000 into battle across a wide battlefield. I’m sorry but I wasn't trained for that. Molotov you have to lead the army.” I placed the pin back on to his coat but he batted it away.

“No Whirlwind. I have to lead my country. You said it yourself.”

Oh Buck I thought to myself, did I convince Molotov to leave?

“I didn't mean turn your back on us!” I said as he reached out for the door handle.

“I've made up my mind. I’m going to Moscolt on the first flight out. I know you will make an excellent General. Good bye.”

Molotov closed the door behind him leaving me alone in a dark office. I looked down at the silver general pin witch was on the floor, I picked it up and gave it a good long look.

I’m in way over my head I thought to myself. But who else was there to lead the armies of the Republic. Nopony. Reluctantly I pinned the rank next to my pilots badge just above my name on my ballistic vest.

“General Whirlwind. I’m gonna have to get use to that.”