• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 1,240 Views, 13 Comments

If There Was No Magic - Just Reading



Through one fateful spark, young Twilight finds herself on an adventure to return magic to Equestria.

  • ...
4
 13
 1,240

Preparations

“Has anyone seen Rainbow Dash yet?” Twilight calls from upstairs, addressing the fillies waiting below. “If she doesn’t come soon we’ll be late.”

“No,” Applejack responds with a yell. “Still can’t see her.”

Blinking downstairs, Twilight strolls over to Fluttershy, the yellow pegasus shaking with worry. “Are you sure she didn’t leave any notes about where she was going, anything?”

“No,” Fluttershy peeks an eye out from behind her pink fringe. “She was gone when I woke up, no note, no sign of her around the house. Her bags were gone though.” Twilight taps her chin with a hoof, giving a nearby bookshelf a thoughtful look.

“That means she must have gone somewhere,” Thinking aloud, Twilight paces across the room, peering through the window in hope to see a blue pegasus. Zoom! The blue filly in mind rockets across the sky, heading for the upper levels of the library.

“Won’t she need to slow down?” Rarity voices what every pony is thinking. Crash! “Apparently not.” Rarity breathes a sigh, rolling her eyes as she makes her way upstairs to welcome the pegasus intruder.

“Hey girls,” Rainbow Dash’s breathy voice meets Twilight halfway up the stairs. “Sorry I was late. You wouldn’t believe who I ran into.” Twilight finds her blue friend a mess of saddle bags, papers, books and wings splattered against a wooden wall. Tending to the scattered pegasus, Rarity pulls a stack of paper off the pile with a white glow, piling them neatly on Celestia’s desk.

“Will you ever learn to slow down Dash?” Rarity tuts, peeling a book from her friends face. Surprising her, Rainbow Dash wiggles out of her constricting saddle bags, sending a poof of paper into the air as she rolls onto her feet, panting.

“I talked to Luna,” Beaming a wide smile at her friends, Dash ignores the mess left in her wake. “She asked me to grab this,” Dash turns back to her saddle bags. Digging around inside, she produces a stone chest, engraved with flowing symbols and encrusted with deep blue sapphires. Rarity’s eyes pop out at the sight of the powerful looking container, knowledge of it’s expense causing her to salivate.

“Rainbow Dash,” Celestia steps forward from the background, taking the box from Dash’s wings with her own white pair. “How exactly did you obtain this?” Unlatching the jewel clasp with her wing tips, Celestia pushes open the lid, revealing a pair of pendants underneath where there is room for three. Leaning closer, Twilight recognises the shapes strung on each necklace, one being Celestia’s cutie mark, the other a moon she assumes is Luna’s.

“I found it in Luna’s room,” Rainbow Dash shrugs. “She asked me to get it.” Twilight twitches, her mind unable to choose which question to voice first.

Celestia’s lips widen into a smile, knowing her student’s questions. “Why don’t you tell us the whole story Rainbow Dash, before Twilight bursts.” Stepping back. Celestia gives the blue pegasus the stage.

“Okay,” Dash consults the ceiling, recalling the previous night’s events. “It started when I was having this awesome dream. I was a wonderbolt and was flying with the whole squad: Spitfire, Soarin, and Fleetfoot. We were speeding over Equestria, getting faster and faster. I was just about to perform a Sonic Rainboom when everything went black.” Dash looks down, disappointed. “And then Luna was there, well I didn’t know who it was at first, but she told me who she was and that I to get that box.” Pointing to the jeweled box, the blue pegasus emphasizes her point.

“How did Luna even find you?” Twilight’s brow creases, questioning her friend. “I haven’t told her about any of you five yet.”

Rainbow Dash nibbles the end of her hoof, trying to recall a memory just escaping her grasp. “Oh that’s right,” The blue filly jumps at her realization. “She said something about Twilight’s essence inside me, whatever that means.”

Nodding knowingly, Celestia closes the the stone chest, placing it on her desk. “She recognises the bond you and Twilight share, the bond you all share. Friendship is a strong thing, you leave a part of yourself inside every friend you have.”

“So what was the point of those necklaces?” Rainbow Dash asks, interested in what her efforts have achieved.

“They are relics of my past,” Flipping up the boxes clasp, she reveals the sun and moon again. “The sun clearly resembles my cutie mark and the moon is Luna’s. They hold no power at all,” Celestia counters Dash’s sour reaction with a smile. “They are not altogether useless however, a good luck charm can aid in a pony’s emotional stability, a key point of magic.”

“So what you’re saying,” Applejack drawls. “In normal words. Is that they don’t really do anything, they just make you think they do something?” The orange filly brings a hoof to her muzzle, unsure of the words she spoke. Everypony in the room joins her pause, attempting to decode Applejack’s confusing explanation.

“I think we’ll just agree that they help,” Twilight breaks the silence, clip clopping across the wooden floor to the top of the stairs. “Why don’t we head downstairs for refreshments before leaving?”

★★★

“I’ll be missing her,” Applejack gazes back wistfully, her hoof waving goodbye to her home. “A week without Sweet Apple Acres is gonna be like a week without apples.” She tosses a red fruit into the air, catching it between her teeth with a crunch. “At least I have them.”

Smiling at the orange filly’s enthusiasm, Twilight gazes back over purple saddle bags, checking on her other companions. Rarity walks with Celestia, questioning her about life in Canterlot. The princess disappointing Rarity with her lack of knowledge about recent fashion. Rainbow Dash flies high above, looping and swirling in the air, unrestrained by her saddle bags Pinkie offered to carry. The pink pony bounces ahead of the rest, seemingly unaffected by the added weight of extra baggage. Trailing behind them all, captivated by the wondrous landscape, Fluttershy is content to walk alone, humming to herself.

“Aren’t you missing your folks Twilight?” Applejack questions, shifting her hat. “You’ve been away from them for a long while now.”

A guilty smile creeping across her lips as Twilight realises hasn’t even thought of her family since she left Canterlot. The thrills of her new friends taking over her thoughts. “It may come as a shock to you Applejack, but I haven’t thought of my family until you just asked me. You five have been too much of a handful for me to think of anything else.”

“I guess meeting new ponies takes your mind out of things,” Applejack looks away from Twilight, her eyes focusing on the wooded horizon. “How long do you think we’ll be walking?”

“We should reach the ruins in a few hours,” Celestia answers Applejack’s question, falling into step alongside the pair of fillies, Rarity matching the princess. “If we keep this pace up we’ll have our tents set up before nightfall.”

“Are you sure it’s safe to stay inside the Everfree after dark?” Applejack shivers, gazing suspiciously at the wall of trees to their left.

Shaking her head, Celestia laughs softly. “The Everfree forest isn’t dangerous Applejack. Sure there may be some spooky looking creature, but they’re all harmless. We’ll be completely safe sleeping in the forest.” A gust of wind flips off Applejack’s hat, the seston fluttering through the air before being scooped up by a rainbow blur.

Hovering over the orange filly, Rainbow Dash place the leather hat sideways on Applejack’s head, letting it hang from her ear. “Don’t listen to her AJ,” Dash giggles, bringing her muzzle to Applejack’s exposed ear. Whispering, “She’ll wait till we’re all asleep, then in the middle of the night she’s going to gobble us up.”

Straightening her hat, Applejack ignores the blue pegasus, now grounded, beating the ground as laughter racks her body. “It ain’t funny, and I’m sure the Princess doesn’t appreciate your stories.” She turns to Celestia, finding her with hoof over mouth, stifling her giggles. Huffing, Applejack picks up her pace, leaving the giggling ponies behind.

Dash rejoins the line, floating lazily beside Twilight, wiping a tear from her eye. Glancing down at her companions, Rarity catches her eye, the white filly’s face stern. “What?” Dash protests “It was just a joke.”

“You know how seriously she takes things Dash,” Rarity shakes her head. “And I don’t want you two having a conflict when we’re going to be together for a week. I want you to go apologize.” Holding Dash’s gaze, Rarity maintains her expression.

The blue pegasus sighs, rolling her eyes, “Okay mom.” Dash beats her wings sullenly, gaining on Applejack. Rarity turns her head back to the two remaining ponies, softening her face. Noticing Twilight’s over exaggerated smile, she shoots the unicorn a questioning look.

“Sorry Rarity,” Twilight closes her eyes, attempting to restrain her lips. “It’s just. Mom.” She fails to hold herself back, laughter bursting from her lips, earning an eye roll from Rarity.

★★★

“Twilight dear,” Rarity stands at the entrance of her tent, light from the fire outside silhouetting her form. “You should put down that book and join us outside.”

“Mmmhmmm,” Twilight agrees absentmindedly, her eyes trailing along the page, speeding through line after line. “I just need to finish this chapter.” The book closes in Twilight’s face with a slam, surrounded in Rarity’s white glow. “Hey I was reading that.”

Rarity rolls her eyes, her lips finding a smile, “You can’t just sit in here and read Twilight, we’re all waiting for you outside.”

“Fine,” Sighing, Twilight finds her hooves, joining Rarity at the tent entrance. Looking past her white friend, she spies Rainbow Dash mid-argument with Applejack. Rarity leads the way, taking a seat next to Fluttershy, Twilight choosing her teacher to rest beside.

“I don’t want you to tell any of those silly stories,” Applejack protests. “You’ll give Fluttershy nightmares.”

A smile rips across Rainbow Dash’s face, “I’m sure that’s what you’re worried about, scaredy-jack.” She bursts out laughing, falling from her perch upon a log.

“I’m sure we can allow Rainbow Dash one of her tales Applejack,” Rarity intervenes, bunging Applejack’s coming complaints with a look. “Just one story.”

“I guess just one,” Applejack concedes. “But not too scary I would want, uh, Fluttershy getting scared.”

Dash stifles a giggle, climbing to her hooves, she paces around the campfire, wearing circles in the dirt. “They say these woods are full of all sorts of crazy creatures, cokatrices, minitoars, even zebras,” Applejack gulps at the mention of the striped race, dragging on her hat with hooves. “But the real horror is the lost princess who haunts these very ruins.” Dash stops, the palace’s dim outline her backdrop.

Sighing, Twilight buries her head in purple limbs. Her over extensive knowledge of the forest and practical thinking leaving her unable to engross herself in the story without wanting to question Dash’s facts every sentence. “She stays inside during the day, afraid of the sun, but when it’s night she goes hunting. Hunting for what?” Dash stops behind Applejack, leaning close over her shoulder. “Little fillies just like you.”

Applejack stands, facing Dash with a frown on her face, “I’ve had enough, I’m going to sleep.”

“I wouldn’t go alone Applejack,” Slinking along the ground, Dash circles round Applejack, a sly smile hinted on her lips. “The fire is the only thing holding that horror back. She’s waiting out there in the darkness for a little filly snack.” Applejack shivers, returning to her log, reluctant.

“I think I’ve had quite enough of your stories for one night Dash,” Rarity yawns, unaffected by the tale. The shivering yellow filly cuddled up against her nods her agreement.

“Why don’t we all roast some marshmallows?” Pinkie produces multiple bags from behind her back, passing them out among the other ponies. “Now if only we had some sticks to hold them on.”

Opening her eyes at the change in conversation, Twilight perks up, “I could just hold them in my magic.”

“Sounds like a great idea Twilight, catch.” Tearing one of the bags open, Pinkie flings it’s contents into the air. Twilight reactively summons her magic after a brief shock, catching the raining marshmallows in a purple wave.

Sighing with relief, Twilight gathers the soft treats in a ball. “You shouldn’t scare me like that Pinkie.” The pink filly shrugs. “How many marshmallows should I cook?” Twilight questions the ponies surrounding the fire.

“All of them!” Pinkie exclaims, opening a second bag of marshmallows, she stuffs her cheeks full of the fluffy pink and white snacks. With no other input, Twilight follows Pinkie’s request, levitating the marshmallows in a sheet above the soft flames.

“Twilight?” Her voice concerned, Applejack points towards a marshmallow slightly darker than the others. “It might be time to pull that one off.”

“Which one Applejack?” Twilight shifts the floating marshmallows, searching for the one Applejack pointed out, unable to find the ticking time bomb.

“Twilight take that one off the fire,” Dash demands, her wing directing Twilight’s vision.

“Also Twilight that one on the side is getting a little black.”

“Oh, and um, if you don’t mind, could you take that one off?”

Unable to decide, Twilight removes the whole load from the fire, finding the marshmallows charcoal black. Celestia brings a hoof to her muzzle, covering a smile. “Why don’t we just use sticks?” She suggests. The group of fillies, excluding Twilight, laugh, leaving the purple filly to roll her eyes and sigh.

Pinkie produces seven sticks and passes them round the circle. Spearing her stick full of marshmallows, passing the bag to the next pony, she opens another. Each pony follows suit with varying amounts of marshmallows. Rarity aids in Twilight’s inexperience, demonstrating to her exactly how to crisp the marshmallow’s exterior, leaving the centre warm and gooey.

“Not again,” Twilight tosses the smoldering black lump over her shoulder and takes a fresh marshmallow from the bag, ready for a fifth attempt.

“Do you want me to demonstrate for you again dear?” Rarity holds her stick upright, a fresh marshmallow impaled on the end.

Twilight shakes her head, spearing the new marshmallow on the end of her blackened stick, roasting it over the fire. “There, I did it,” Twilight exclaims,waving her golden prize in front of Rarity’s snout.

Rarity backs away from the toasted marshmallow. “Very good Twilight, now taste your reward.” On command, Twilight leans forward, closing her lips around the crispy exterior.

“Hot,” Reactively Twilight pulls the offending marshmallow from her mouth, holding it mid air with her purple glow.

“Ew Twilight, that’s gross.” Rainbow Dash screws her face up at the sight of white mush. “Put it away.”

Shaking the lump to cool it, Twilight quickly pops it back into her mouth to appease Dash, chewing it. “Mmmmmm, that’s really good,” Twilight licks her lips, cleaning the stickiness produced around the edge of her mouth. “I think I’ll have another.”

★★★

“Uhhhh,” Twilight cracks open her eyes, a pink pillow filling her vision. “I think I ate too much,” Rarity’s noisy breathing is the only response to Twilight’s sleepy mumble. Rolling onto her back, Twilight gives her tight stomach breathing room, trying to recall last night’s events.

Marshmallows dominate her memories, the fluffy lumps her night’s downfall. Twilight had found herself unable to resist the gooey treats. After she had solely finished a bag herself, Pinkie had noticed her longing look. The pink filly produced bag after bag, stuffing Twilight full of marshmallows until Rarity pointed out the bulge in her belly.

“Marshmallows, never again.” Twilight climbs to her feet, trying to ignore the weight of her laden stomach. Casting her gaze around the airy tent she finds Celestia’s mattress empty, sheets straightened. Rarity’s obnoxious breathing draws her attention, the white unicorn is splayed across the floor, half on her plump bed, half resting on the grassy floor. Twilight drags herself across the tent, gathering Rarity’s scattered sheets she dumps them in a pile next to the snoring filly.

Stepping from the tent, Twilight find the previous night’s fire smouldering, devoid of ponies. The crisp morning air embraces Twilight, evoking a yawn from her. Looking around for her friends Twilight notices the palace, outlined by the red dawn glow.

“Good morning Twilight,” Looking down from the skyline, Twilight spots Celestia walking towards her from the ruins. “Did you recover from your incident?”

Twilight breathes a sigh, sitting down she reveals the the bulge beneath her. “I don’t think I’ll be having any more marshmallows for a while.” Celestia holds Twilight’s eyes with an empathetic smile. “Where did you just come from?” Twilight questions her teacher, ignoring the pain.

“I was just scouting the palace entrance,” Celestia steps past Twilight, resting beside the blackened circle of ash. “It looks as if we may have some difficulty entering.” Twilight’s expression begs for clarification. Reading her student Celestia recounts her morning in greater detail: “There is a massive stone door that covers the entrance to the palace. It appears to be locked by a magical seal I have never seen before, I assume it is Luna’s work.”

Twilight looks around the campsite, no other ponies in sight. “It doesn’t look like any pony is awake yet,” She points out. “Do you want to give the door another look?”

Yawning, Celestia stands, patting the dust off her rear with a rainbow tail. “I seems like we’ve got the time, so why not?” She leads the way, stepping across the crumbled stone courtyard overgrown with vines, stopping before a not so ancient looking stone door.

The door seems untouched by the buildup of greenery that covers the broken palace walls. Closing her eyes, Twilight waits. “It seems like you were right princess, the door seems to be warded by powerful magic. I can feel it energy radiating from it.”

“Do you think there is any way to open it?” Celestia questions, studying the door herself.

Twilight lets her eyelids fall once more, concentrating on the the door, searching for an opening. “It seem there is something that responds to my magical touch, not a lock but a hole of some kind. I think it wants me to enter.” Twilight continues to trace the door with her mind, her eyes flickering under purple lids.

“What do you mean by enter?” Celestia’s voice holds an inkling of concern.

“It seems like a place separate from here,” Breathing deeply, Twilight sinks to her belly. “I’ll see you in a few moments princess.” Focusing on the hole, Twilight pushes her spark inside, letting her mind fall into it’s grasp.



“I haven’t seen you in a while Twilight,” Blinking rapidly, Twilight takes stock of her mostly black surroundings. “How exactly did you end up here?” Searching the darkness, Twilight spots Luna sitting a few hoofsteps to her right.

“It was the entrance to the palace,” Twilight explains. “There was some kind of magical door, and upon examination I discovered some kind of miniature, magical doorway inside the door. I went inside, and here I am.”

Luna rolls her eyes up into her head, thinking, recalling her past. “Oh,” She giggles softly. “I completely forgot about that door. The second doorway you talk of induces a dream linked directly to me. It allows me to personally filter any ponies attempting to trespass. While you’re here you should tell me of your progress, how did it go with making friends?”

“Um, well,” Twilight hesitates, unable to focus her thoughts, bringing doubts to Luna’s mind. “Oh my friends. It went wonderfully. I’ve made a total of five new friends, well I guess six including you. We spent most of the last three weeks together. I must thank you Luna, I never knew friendship could be so, fun.” Luna rolls her eyes at Twilight’s overexcitement. “Oh one thing Luna, I don’t have too long to talk, Celestia will be worrying.”

“We can talk of this later then,” Luna closes her eyes, lines of strain appearing on her face. “Let me just open the door for you, and then I’ll wake you up.” Twilight’s vision wobbles, the night blue princess rippling across her dream.



“Twilight?” White, white filling her vision. “Twilight, why would you be so foolish?” Celestia holds Twilight like a doll in her forelimbs, nuzzling her soft purple neck

“I’m fine Princess,” Twilight giggles, realising her previous stupidity.

“Oh Twilight, I’m so glad you’re safe.” Allowing herself one last nuzzle, Celestia backs away, recomposing herself. “What exactly happened?” The grinding of stone against stone fills the air, pulling the pair’s attention towards the movement of the massive stone door. “I guess you succeeded?”

“You could say that,” Twilight responds. “The hole was actually was actually a device created by Luna to put the pony interacting with it to sleep, forcing them into a dream with her.” Waving her hoof at the door, “She opened this all this with just a thought.” Twilight turns to Celestia, questioning the princess with a gaze. “I thought you told me the two of you had lost the ability to perform magic?”

“That is true,” Celestia’s eyes wander towards the sky, resting on her sun. “We still have ways to perform great feats through our celestial bodies however. Objects that large can have extremely strong effects on worldly things if we concentrate their pull.”

“Does that mean you can perform levitation without magic?,” Twilight cocks her head, questioning Celestia.

The thought pushes a smile to Celestia’s lips. “Only for colossal objects like this one. If I were to focus the power of my sun on something brittle like a teacup it would shatter. There isn’t too many uses for celestial levitation sadly.”

Taking note of Celestia’s explanation, Twilight turns her eyes back to the now open doorway. “Should we search for the focus?” She asks, her excitement pushing thoughts of her friends aside.

“Twilight I think you’re forgetting something,” Celestia’s tone spurs Twilight’s mind. Her thoughts rushing for her answer.

“Oh we need food don’t we?” Twilight rushed guess is met by Celestia’s shaking head. “Um, water?” Another shake from the giggling princess. “Books?” Twilight logic answers that guess before Celestia. Squinting, she searches the ground for wisdom, her eyes following the trail of hoof steps back to the campsite. “Oh, my friends,” Twilight taps herself on the head in light of her stupidity. “We should probably head back to the camp to check on them.”

With Twilight leading the way, the pair stroll back to the dead fire to find Applejack attempting to respark it’s life. The sound of hoofsteps draw Applejack’s focus, “Morning Princess, Twilight,” She greets them with a tip of her hat. “Where did the two of you just come from?”

“We were just at the palace entrance,” Twilight answers. “We managed to unlock the main door.” Looking around, Twilight notes the lack the other fillies. “Is everypony else still asleep?”

“I think so,” Applejack confirms. “Fluttershy, Dash, and Pinkie were still asleep when I left the tent, and I haven’t seen Rarity so I think she’s still sleeping.”

A pink blur beams out of the tent behind Applejack, pouncing on the sitting earth pony. “I wasn’t asleep silly,” Pinkie exclaims, the fright causing Applejack to jump. “I was just pretending.”

Her breathing still shallow from the shock, Applejack peels herself out of Pinkie Pie’s hug. “You shouldn’t scare ponies like that Pinkie.” The pink pony replies with a giggle. Applejack directs her focus back to Twilight and Celestia. “Should we wake the others?”

“We’ve got enough time to let them sleep a little longer,” Celestia replies. “We should get breakfast ready for when they wake.”

“If you’re trying to let us sleep could you stop making all that noise out there?” A muffled voice calls from the tent Pinkie just left.

“If you’re awake you may as well come out and join us Dash,” Applejack yells in reply. A bedraggled pair of pegasi appear at her request. Applejack motions towards the other tent. “Do you want me to wake Rarity?”

“I think I’ll do it myself,” Twilight steps away from the group, disappearing inside the tent. “Rarity?” The white filly sprawled across her mattress makes no move to reply. “Come on Rarity, it’s time to get up,” Twilight pushes Rarity’s shoulder with a hoof, rolling the the white pony onto her back.

“Twilight,” Rarity moans dreamily, squirming away from Twilight’s touch. “Twilight please don’t go, just a little longer.”

Twilight shakes Rarity with vigor, waking the mumbling pony. “Rarity I’m right here. What were you dreaming about?”

“Oh, I was,” A yawn breaks Rarity’s speech, stretching her jaw open to release a slow breath. “I was dreaming of, uh, nothing. I don’t really seem to recall what I dreamt of.” Her blush tells the truth.

Twilight fails to notice the reddening of her friend’s cheeks. “That’s unfortunate Rarity, you should ask Luna to help you with that.” Helping Rarity to her feet, Twilight focuses her magic, bringing the covers of Rarity’s bed back into order.

“I, I think I’ll be fine,” Rarity flusters her reply, attempting to compose her scrambled emotions. “Why don’t we go out and join the others?” Twilight’s nod brings Rarity relief. She follows the purple pony out of the tent into the smell of fresh cooking. “What is that delicious smell?”

“Pinkie’s pancakes,” Rainbow Dash replies, slurping to clear the pool of drool growing in her mouth. “When will they be done Pinkie?” She begs, leaning over the pan only to be beaten back by Pinkie’s whisk.

“They’ll be ready when they’re ready,” Pinkie replies, watching Rainbow Dash closely, guarding against another of Dash’s attacks. “And you drooling over them isn’t helping.”

“I think now would be a good time to discuss our plans for today,” Celestia suggests. “If everything goes well I expect us to make it to the focus by tonight.”

“And if it doesn’t?” Snatching a look at the surrounding forest, Applejack shivers, her fear of the forest still tainting her mind.

“At worst the puzzles of the palace may delay us for a few days,” Celestia’s words help to ease Applejack’s nerves, the earth pony’s eyes still checking the surrounding forest to be sure.

“Done,” Pinkie exclaims, producing seven plates of pancakes out of nowhere, each pony finding a stack in front of them. “There’s maple syrup, butter, lemon juice and sugar for you to choose from.” Waving a hoof over the tray of toppings, the other ponies pause in their confusion. Pinkie’s conjuration of food evoking questions in every pony’s mind.

First to recover from the shock, Rainbow Dash’s desire for food drives her. Planting a square of butter on the roof of her stack, she takes the bottle of syrup in her wing, emptying a quarter over her pancakes. “Mmmmmm,” Dash moans, her mouth crammed with Pinkie’s cooking. “Thrs ir rearry good Pnkie.”

“So where exactly in the palace are we heading Princess?” Rarity asks between delicate bites of her pancakes, ignoring Dash’s lack of manner.

Celestia’s jaw churns the mouthful of pancake it holds. She wipes her mouth, “The summoning focus in located in one of the lower chambers according to Luna’s map,” She replies. “I don’t know how much the palace has changed in the thousand years since Luna was last there, hopefully not at all thanks to Luna’s seal, but we can never be too careful.”

The circle remains wordless after Celestia finishes. The only sounds are the chewing of pancakes and Dash’s agitated murmurs as she tries to fit one too many pancakes inside her mouth. Twilight can’t help but to sneak glances of the palace, it mystery capturing her attention.

“Are you gonna eat that?” Dash points to Fluttershy’s half finished plate, her mouth lined with maple syrup.

“Uh, no,” Snapping out of her silent daze, Fluttershy pushes her plate towards the hungry blue pegasus. “I’m full.” The plate barely in her possession, Dash dives onto the lopsided pile, tearing a chunk of pancake off in her mouth. The other ponies look on with varying degrees of amusement, Pinkie glad to see her food enjoyed, Rarity scoffing at Dash’s shameful display.

“So are we ready?” Dash asks with a burp, wiping the excess topping from her mouth with her hoof.

“I think we all are,” Celestia speaks before Rarity has the chance to scold Dash. “I’m sure Pinkie has something prepared for lunch,” The pink filly nods, strapping an impossibly large pack to her back. “Anyone have anything they need to fetch?” Fluttershy raises a hoof before scampering off to her tent.

“I bet she’s getting that rabbit,” Rainbow Dash shakes her head when Fluttershy reappears, Angel perched on her back. “I thought I told you to get rid of that thing Shy, he’s trouble.”

“Oh Dash,” Fluttershy coos, tilting her head to nuzzle the bunny. “Angel is the sweetest little bunny, and her needs me. I couldn’t possibly leave him behind.”

“So we’re ready?” Celestia cuts in, wanting to hasten with her sisters rescue. The pegasi nod. “Then let’s begin our search,” Celestia sets pace towards the ruins, her sun rising overhead.