• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 1,240 Views, 13 Comments

If There Was No Magic - Just Reading



Through one fateful spark, young Twilight finds herself on an adventure to return magic to Equestria.

  • ...
4
 13
 1,240

My Friends

“So what will you being having today Twilight?” Pinkie asks with a toothy grin. “Maybe you want to try the rainbow drops? No, you tried those three days ago.” Giving the selection of sweets a serious look, Pinkie speaks her thought process as she tries to choose for Twilight. “Peppermint swirl? No. What about a caramel balloon? No, that was last week. Oh I’ve got it, the perfect treat for you.” Pinkie lifts her hooves from the display case, one cradling the treat, the other hiding it’s appearance from Twilight. “A lamington.”

“Pinkie,” Twilight smiles at her friends charades. “I had that the first time I came here.” Pink curls droop as Pinkie dons a frown, placing the lamington back into the case before Twilight can finish her sentence. “That doesn’t mean I don’t want it, “ The pink filly’s hair springs back to curls, a smile filling her face. “I think I’ve been to Sugarcube Corner so many times in the past few weeks that I’ve had everything.”

Thinking back on her time spent in Ponyville Twilight realises she’d been to the bakery every day of the past two weeks. Rarity and Pinkie Pie had been her constant companions in her outings, Applejack had to apples to sell, Fluttershy admitted she wanted to spend some time alone, and Rainbow Dash, she had excuses. After the third day of filling up on treats at Sugarcube Corner Rarity had suggested they try a different venue, dragging Twilight off to one of the town’s clothing stores. Their afternoon alone had been Rarity forcing Twilight into hundreds of different dresses, each one just not right. They had finally left the store empty hooved.

“Sooooooo, you want the lamington?” Pinkie’s drawn out question pulls Twilight from the weeks memories.

“Surprise me,” Twilight suggests, unsure herself of what she wants.

Oh, I know the perfect surprise,” Pinkie digs into the space underneath the sweet display, sounds of crinkling paper and metallic clanging fill the air. “Tadaa!” Pinkie lifts a package from below triumphantly, pushing it towards Twilight face.

Taking it in her magical glow, Twilight shakes the brown paper package, it’s only reply a rustle. “What is it?” Twilight questions, rotating the mystery to examine every angle of wrapping.

“You’ll have to find out when you open it,” Pinkie exclaims, a smile consuming her face. ‘Let’s go join the others, we don’t want to keep Rarity waiting.” Rolling her eyes, Twilight follows the bouncing pink filly as she hops her way through the empty bakery to the corner table. Twilight’s friends await, Rainbow Dash one side of a heated argument with Rarity and Applejack.

“I told you for the last time,” Blue wings are flared as Rainbow Dash protests. “I’m not going on that stupid adventure. I’ve got more awesome things to do with my time, like flight practice.” Rarity rolls her eyes, muttering incomprehensible words.

“I think you should come Dash,” Fluttershy tries to wrap a foreleg around the blue filly’s back, only to have it forced off by Dash’s wings. “It sounds like it’ll be a lot of, fun.”

“But it’s with her,” Dash complains, ignorant of Twilight and Pinkie arrival to the table. “I don’t see why you guys like her so much, she just seems so boring.” The other fillies at the table remain silent, eyes looking past Dash to the purple unicorn behind her. “What are you all looking,” Dash turns as she speaks, stopping her harsh words as Twilight comes into view. “Oh, hey there Twilight.” Dash’s guilty eyes flit around the bakery, attempting to avoid the problem.

“I’m sure she didn’t mean it dear,” Rarity speaks soft, comforting words. “She just got a little hot-headed is all.”

“No Rarity,” Stopping Rarity, Twilight holds her gaze on Rainbow Dash’s wandering eyes. “I’ve learnt enough to know at least some of Dash’s frustration is true. Dash?” Twilight steps closer to the ashamed pegasus, placing her paper package on the table. Dash looks up at Twilight’s approach, meeting her eyes, trapped in the purple unicorn’s calm gaze. “Tell me Dash, honestly, do you really not like me?”

Struck aback by the direct question, Dash drops her eyes, looking to the floor for insight. “Well, no, not really,” Dash flusters, unsure of exactly what about Twilight irritates her. “It’s just that, it’s just.”

“It’s just what Dash?” Twilight leans close to the floundering blue pegasus, lifting her chin with a hoof. “You can tell me, I won’t mind.”

“It’s just that,” Dash sighs, realisation of how childish her jealousy is dawning on her. “I kinda wanted some attention. It feels like I’m just watching from the side, not doing anything awesome.”

“Oh Rainbow Dash,” Twilight lips form a smile, the corners of her mouth scrunching as she tries to suppress it. “I’m so glad it’s nothing personal.” Placing a hoof on Dash’s shoulder, she rubs the blue pegasus’s coat softly, easing her built up tension. “I’m sorry I seem to be the focus of our group, it’s just the way we came together, because of me. I’m sure no one here thinks any less of you just because we’re not focused on you, I know I don’t.”

Various sounds of confirmation ring throughout the other fillies, lifting Dash’s pride. “J-just because we aren’t going on an journey for your Dash,” Fluttershy’s soft voice silences the group. “Doesn’t mean I think of you as any less of a friend. In fact, you’re my favourite friend of all.” the two pegasi share a blush, the praise curving Dash’s lips upwards.

“I. Thank you,” The blue pegasus’s voice breathy with emotion, she sniffles. “I think I needed that, it made me feel, better.”

Applejack leans towards Dash, patting her on the back, “Any time sugarcube, just as long as we don’t grow that ego of yours too much,” The orange earth pony jokes. “Wouldn’t want it breaking any more things than you already do.” Applejack taps a hoof lightly to Dash’s shoulder at the jest.

The blue filly rubs the back of her head, “Yeah, sorry about that window yesterday.”

“Aw shucks Dash,” Applejack kicks the pillow below her. “I won’t hold that against you,” the orange filly leans close, whispering. “As long as you come help fix it some time.” Giving Rainbow Dash breathing room once again, Applejack speaks to the whole group. “Why don’t we lighten the mood a little, talk a bit about where the Princess is taking us.”

“Oh, um,” Fluttershy softly stumbles over her words, unsure if anyone else wants to speak. “I was wondering Twilight. You keep talking about the Everfree castle, please tell me that the castle isn’t inside the Everfree Forest.” Her words trail off, leaving the last two words impossible to hear.

“What was that Fluttershy?” Twilight turns from Rainbow Dash, taking a cushion at the table next to Rarity. Her purple glow sliding the brown package across the table to rest before her. “I couldn’t quite catch the last few words.”

“She asked if the castle was in the Everfree Forest dear,” Rarity answers for Fluttershy, translating the previous murmurs.

“Oh yes, it is,” Twilight purses her lips thoughtfully. “Is that a problem?” Fluttershy shivers, sinking into her cushion, muzzle hidden below the table.

“The Everfree Forest is a place no pony dares to go,” Applejack answers, her eyes wandering the room as she imagines the forest before her. “It’s full of strange things that just ain’t natural.”

“Oh I’m sure it can’t be that bad,” Twilight smiles, mentally dismissing Applejack’s warnings. “Why don’t we go there now? I really want to see what it’s like.” Twilight’s curiosity is getting the better of her, giving her a thirst to experience forest.

“That sounds like fun,” Pinkie exclaims, her white teeth showing between smiling lips. “We can even have a picnic there. I’ll bring the food.” The pink filly springs off towards the kitchen.

“See Pinkie doesn’t seem to think it’s so bad,” Twilight’s eyes trails Pinkie as she disappears into the kitchen door, clanging, rustling and cries from the Cakes erupting from the door. “Why don’t we explore the Everfree a little?”

“I guess I’ll come,” Applejack surrenders, sighing. “As long as we don’t stay too long, I wouldn’t want to be in there as it gets dark.” Twilight looks to the other fillies at the table, only Rarity and Rainbow Dash are in view.

“It’s just such a dirty place,” Rarity speaks up first, examining a hoof. “I would want to get my coat all muddy.”

Dash eyes her from across the table, a sly smile crossing her lips. “You wouldn’t happen to be scared would you Rarity,” the blue pegasus giggles. “I can almost hear you shiver from over here.”

“A lady isn’t scared of anything,” Rarity snorts with defiance, turning to Twilight. “I’ll be glad to join you on your outing, just so long as Rainbow Dash isn’t too frightened to come.”

“What made you think I’d be afraid to come?” Rainbow Dash defends herself breathily, eyes locked on Rarity. “I’d love to come with you Twilight.”

“That just leaves Fluttershy,” Twilight’s eyes find an empty space where she expected the yellow pegasus. “Where did she go?”

A mass of pink hair pushes it’s way into view, Fluttershy’s quivering blue eyes peeking over the table’s edge. “I-I think I’ll just stay here, under the table.”

“Come on dear,” Rarity tugs on Fluttershy’s chin, lifting her from hiding. “The Everfree isn’t that scary. I’m sure all those dark tales are just made up.”

The frightened yellow pegasus pulls away from Rarity, retreating back under the table. “You don’t understand,” The fillies at the table quiet their breathing in an attempt to hear Fluttershy's whispers. “I’ve been there before, the animals there aren’t, nice.”

“Oh Fluttershy,” Pinkie climbs out from underneath the table, picnic basket between her teeth, Fluttershy in her forelegs. “I’m sure it can’t be as bad as you remember, and you’ll have all of us there with you.” Twilight’s right eye twitches as she comprehends the impossibilities of Pinkie’s arrival.

“Does this mean we’re ready to go?” Rainbow Dash pushes herself off the cushion beneath, extending her wings, flexing. “I actually wondering what the forest is like now. I’ve only ever flown over it.”

Twilight casts a look around the table, seeing the other fillies following Dash’s lead she rises. “It looks like everyone is ready,” Twilight notes. “If we leave now we should be back before the sun starts to set.”

“Well what are we waiting for then,” Pinkie exclaims over her shoulder, bouncing towards the door with Fluttershy in tow. “Let’s go.”

★★★

“So when exactly are we going to stop?” Rainbow Dash complains. “I’m starting to get hungry,” Her stomach growls in agreement.

Twilight, leading the party of fillies, ceases her searching eyes, turning to the group. “I’m sorry, I was just trying to find a break in the trees where we could sit in the sun.” She casts a final glance at their surroundings, sighing in defeat. “But I guess we won’t be finding a spot like that, so how about we just settle down over there?” Twilight directs her friends towards a patch of grass unburdened by the overgrowth of trees that cover most of the forest’s floor.

Pinkie releases her jaw, letting the picnic basket drop onto the thick, cushioning grass. Pulling the checkered red and white blanket out between her teeth, she flicks her neck, covering the ground between the fillies in cotton.

“So what are we eating?” Rainbow Dash asks, trying to nose past Pinkie and peek inside the basket. The pink pony’s stern look pushes Dash back, giving Pinkie room to unveil their treats.

“It’s,” Pinkie speaks in between transporting each brown paper package from the basket to blanket. “A, surprise.”

Recognising the packaging, Twilight recalls the unopened package she left at Sugarcube Corner. “Are these the same as the surprise you gave me earlier? I think I may have forgotten to eat that.” The purple unicorn smiles guiltily, a soft laugh passing between her lips.

“No silly” Finished unpacking the packages, Pinkie bops Twilight’s nose with a hoof. “That was just a cookie I wrapped up.” The Pinkie pony pulls a chocolate-chip cookie out of nowhere, tosses it high above her head, catching it in her mouth. “These are real surprises I made especially for you all,” Pinkie mumbles through a mouthful of crumbs.

The party of fillies sit, forming a circle around the brown packages. Pinkie nudges a package towards each filly, “One for Rainbow Dash, one for Fluttershy, one for Rarity, one for Applejack, one for Twilight, and one for me. Now open them.” Observing the rustling of paper, Pinkie Pie watches as each pony pulls apart the packaging. Twilight’s glowing purple as she meticulously deconstructs the brown paper. Rarity attempts to replicate Twilight spell, tearing the packaging in the process. Applejack and Fluttershy gnaw at theirs, Rainbow Dash pulls hers apart with blue wings, Pinkie’s opens with a look.

Inside are cookies, plain shortbread shaped to match each ponies’ cutie marks, iced in the correct colors. Twilight studies each cutie mark cookie, her eyes stop when she sees Pinkie’s.
“Oh Pinkie Pie,” Twilight laughs softly, sadly. “You didn’t ice your own.” Pinkie looks down at her own shortbread cookie, plain.

“I didn’t have enough icing to finish mine,” Looking up, the pink filly’s face is covered in a wide smile. “That doesn’t matter, because I managed to ice all of your cookies.”

“Oh Pinkie,” Twilight shakes her head again, her voice fading into a ringing. The unusual sound draws Pinkie’s attention. Her eyes find Twilight’s iced, star aglow with purple magic. A patch of pink icing lifts off the cookie’s face, floating over the checker cloth to smear itself across Pinkie’s naked trio of balloons. “There, I know it’s not the right color but now yours has some icing as well,” Twilight ceases her horn, admiring her lumpy work.

Pinkie Pie’s eyes scrunch up, her smile pushing them upwards to fill her face. “Oh Twilight you didn’t have to. Now your cookie isn’t iced properly.”

Twilight point her hoof to Pinkie’s patchily covered cookie, “Neither is yours,” She laughs, the other fillies, previously watching, join her. “But I couldn’t let you watch us enjoy your gifts when yours isn’t complete.”

“Ahhhhhh,” Fluttershy shrieks, startling the group out of their focus on the pink and purple pair.

“What is it this time Fluttershy?” Rolling her eyes, Rainbow Dash’s irritated tone lacks concern. “Another imaginary creature?”

“That bush,” Fluttershy manages to mutter, her quivering yellow hoof pointing towards a thick, leafy brush, no more than a foot high and three wide. The bundle of leaves rustle, hopping a few inches closer to the alerted fillies. “It’s moving.”

“Yes dear we can see that,” Rarity consoles Fluttershy, rubbing her shoulders in an attempt to calm the shaking yellow pegasus. “What I’m wondering is why?” In response the bush shuffles closer, eliciting whimpers from Fluttershy. Concentrating on the bush, Twilight imagines a magical form, a wave lifting the bush, leaving the unknown entity exposed.

“Oh Angel you shouldn’t scare me like that,” Twilight opens her eyes at Fluttershy’s cooing, finding the yellow pegasus with a white baby bunny in her arms, a multitude of other bunnies scattered around the picnic blanket. “You scared all of us Angel”

Rainbow Dash eyes the bunny with contempt, “That rabbit looks like trouble Shy,” The blue pegasus whispers, muzzle buried in Fluttershy’s ear. “I think you should, uh, get rid of it.”

“Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy holds the offending filly with a stare. “You shouldn’t say such things about animals. They have feelings too.” Nursing the bunny, Fluttershy strokes it’s white ears, ignorant to the offensive face Angel presents to Dash.

Twilight rolls her eyes at the pegasi pair, her focus drifting across their surrounding, noticing an object protruding from the newly formed hole. Leaving her friends behind, she strolls towards the mystery.

“What is it Twilight?” Rarity voice tinged with concern, following Twilight to the opening.

“It’s just something I saw,” Pushing the foliage aside, Twilight reveals a stone pole, engraved with symbols of ancient Magi. “Oh, I recognize some of these. City, up, away, plains.” Twilight moves her head around the post, reading off the symbols she recognizes.

Confused, Rarity paces around the ancient post, stopping opposite of Twilight. “What is it?” Rarity pushes her muzzle closer to the strange stone, attempting to decipher the symbols. The other fillies a colorful blur closing in over Twilight’s shoulder.

“It appears to be some sort of directional information device,” Twilight notes, eyes still searching the stone’s surface for familiar symbols.

“So you mean a sign post?” Applejack’s southern drawl translating for Twilight. Looking up Twilight notices the other fillies, joining Rarity and her, surrounding the post. “What does it point to?”

“Well,” Twilight brings a hoof to her chin, a giving the post a thoughtful look. “It seems to talk of a city, which I assume is Everfree, and it also says up. So I think that could be north.”

“Wait wait wait,” Rainbow Dash shakes her head, blinking rapidly to clear the confusion. “You’re saying that there’s a city in this crazy forest?” The other fillies look to Twilight for an answer.

The purple unicorn responds to the question with a giggle, “No. Well there was over a thousand years ago, but know there’ll only be ruins left now.”

“Why would these silly ponies live in the middle of a forest?” Applejack’s brow creases with confusion.

Breathing deep, Twilight organizes her mind, preparing to lecture her friends. Closing her eyes, “There wasn’t a forest here when they built their city. Thousands of years ago this forest was an empty plain, the base of Canterlot mountain where the celestial sisters decided to kindle pony kind. The forest and it’s mystical contents are a result of the magical overflow that followed Discord’s destruction. The disappearance of Magi released Equestria’s magic in a concentrated area, soaking this forest and causing a massive amount of magical growth.”

Reopening her eyes, Twilight finds her friends faces bearing more confusion than before she spoke. “Lets just say there wasn’t always a forest here,” Twilight summarises her previous explanation with a smile.

“Is this city in the same location as the Everfree palace?” Rarity questions, brow raised. “Because it sounds like a much more interesting place than what you’ve let on.”

“It was the centre of pony civilization for many centuries,” Twilight continues her history lesson, pleased that one pony found it interesting. “I’m sure the ruins hold more than a few stories.” Twilight’s eyes drift upwards as she speaks, her eyes locating a gap in the forest’s canopy. “I think we should be heading back soon girls, it looks like the sun is going down.”

“Well why don’t we finish the snacks Pinkie made for us all,” Applejack pulls off from the circle, leading the way back to the picnic. “Then we can head home.” Following the other fillies, Twilight finds her previous place on the checkered cloth, her half iced star before her. Lifting her gaze, Twilight studies each of her friends. Their faces bring memories of the past weeks back to the forefront of her mind.

The daily visits to Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie force feeding her sugary treats, sure to bring her a different one each time. Rarity, her constant companion throughout her short stay in Ponyville, accompanying her to the bakery each day. The white unicorn, while she tried to hide it, seemed to enjoy Twilight’s company. Taking her on tours around the town, showing Twilight her favourite places to spend an afternoon, most of which were fashion stores. There was afternoon Twilight recalls with fondness.

Rarity had deviated from their usual schedule of roaming the streets of Ponyville, lecturing Twilight on fashion. Occasionally stopping to peek inside a store, try on an outfit or two before returning to their patrol. Rarity had led Twilight out of the main town, through a loosely wooded pasture, a still lake meeting them on the other side. Rarity had simply sat wordlessly, leaving Twilight to decide her own course. Planting herself beside the silent, white unicorn, she followed her friend's example.

The rippled lake smudged the reflections of the forest behind it, it’s surface a blur of greens and browns. The stillness was thought provoking however, a time out of Rarity’s busy timetable for the pair to relax, to reflect. Closing her eyes and giving her thoughts freedom had done wonders for Twilight’s sanity. Allowing her to piece together the rush of events and emotions that had been the days previous. Giving Twilight time to concentrate on her inner spark, channeling small transformation spells.

Leaves became scurrying mice. A bloodthirsty snake shaped out of a stick gulped down a pair of the newly formed mammals before Twilight rushed to correct the balance, returning stillness to the sleepy lake.

“Twilight?” Rainbow Dash’s harsh voice pulls the purple unicorn from her memories. “Are you going to eat your cookie or are we going to sleep here?”

Giggling, Twilight surrounds her cutie mark snack in a purple glow, taking a bite of the shortbread star. “Sorry girls, I got lost in my thoughts again.”

“Well you better hurry up and wolf it down,” Already standing, Applejack scans their dimming surroundings, still uneasy with the magical forest. “I don’t want to be stuck in this place after dark.”

Sinking back into her mind as she eats, Twilight’s thoughts focus on her athletic friends. Applejack and Dash, always arguing about some non-existent issue, competing physically at any and every possible moment. Meaningless races wherever they went, Applejack only managing to win when she pinned Dash to the ground. Arm wrestles over the table at Sugarcube Corner, Applejack’s superior limb strength winning out almost every time. They were a handful, but with Rarity keeping them in line, they made enjoyable company.

“Come on Twilight,” Fluttershy’s whispers rouse Twilight from her memories of the rowdy pair. “We need to get going.” Twilight’s ear bumps against the yellow pegasus’s muzzles as she stands, surprised at the lack of cloth beneath. Observing her surroundings Twilight notices the picnic blanket packed away, covering the top of Pinkie’s basket. The other fillies are already up, waiting on Twilight.

“Sorry,” The group moves when they see Twilight up and moving, eager to leave the forest. “I was just thinking.” Falling in line behind the party, Twilight returns to her thoughts, Fluttershy coming to mind.

While she hadn’t conversed much with the shy pegasus, she had been a presence in their group meetings throughout the previous weeks. Usually trailing Rainbow Dash when she decided to show, but once Fluttershy had decided to join Rarity and Twilight alone during their wanders about Ponyville. Rarity had beelined for the nearest dress store after a quick examination of the pegasus, deeming her interesting.

After a morning of being squeezed into a multitude of dresses by the eager, white unicorn, Twilight could see Fluttershy was growing uncomfortable. Distracting Rarity for a second, she teleported Fluttershy and herself out of the clothing store. After the jump the pair found themselves behind the building, surrounded by tall bushes. Fluttershy, after much coaxing from Twilight asking her to speak up, thanked the purple unicorn, expressing a desire to show her something.

A short walk later, Twilight pushed through a wall of trees, finding Fluttershy prancing through a lush meadow, blue and pink butterflies cloaking the yellow pegasus, filling Twilight with awe. The purple filly had just watched, observing the sea of critters following their pony queen to her resting place, all attempting to secure an audience with her. Fluttershy dealt out hugs and kisses to her followers, beckoning Twilight to join her.

Twilight smiles at the memory, amazed at how her view on friendship had changed over the weeks.

“Well I’ll be seeing you all tomorrow,” Blinking, Twilight spots Applejack leaving the town square, farewelling the remaining fillies over her shoulder. “I won’t keep the Princess waiting.”

“I guess I’ll be off too,” Springing into the air, Rainbow Dash beats her wings lazily, barely keeping herself afloat. “We’ll see you all tomorrow.” Leaving Fluttershy to wave a hasty farewell, Rainbow Dash sets a slow pace out of the square, the yellow filly trailing behind.

“See you tomorrow,” Rarity and Twilight turn from the departing pegasi, finding only Pinkie’s words remaining.

Twilight yawns, the events of the day showing their effect. “I guess I’ll be leaving too.” Twilight blinks, rubbing her tired eyes. “I’ll see you tomorrow Rarity.”

Catching Twilight yawn, Rarity extends her jaw to release the breath of air. Her white eyelids flutter, clearing the fake tears the yawn brought to her eyes. “Tomorrow is the big day isn’t it?” Twilight nods. “I’ll be seeing you bright and early then. Good night Twilight, friend.”