• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 1,240 Views, 13 Comments

If There Was No Magic - Just Reading



Through one fateful spark, young Twilight finds herself on an adventure to return magic to Equestria.

  • ...
4
 13
 1,240

Surprise

“Surprise!” The bakery explodes with confetti and noise as Twilight and her mentor enter Sugarcube Corner. “Happy new to town party Twilight.” The pink filly drags Twilight to the centre of the room, showing her prize off to the crowd of ponies.

“What’s happening,” Twilight glances backwards, looking for safety in Celestia. She catches the princess with a hoof at her mouth, body shaking with laughter. Realising her mentor will provide no help Twilight turns back to her captor, examining her for the first time. “Are you the filly I saw earlier today?” Twilight’s questions.

“Mmmhmmm,” the pink filly nods her head, curly pink hair bouncing with the motion. “I’m Pinkie Pie and I know everypony in town. So when I saw you today I couldn’t help but notice you were new to town. You being new to town is a great reason to throw a party, and I just love to throw parties. So,” Pinkie Pie pauses rapid rambling attached to her head, gasping for breath. “I threw a party!”

“That’s nice and all,” Twilight squirms, trying to think of a way to escape her embarrassing situation. “But I came here to meet a someone in particular. So if I could just have a table to myself that would be nice.” Ignoring Twilight’s request Pinkie wraps her front legs around Twilight’s neck, pulling her towards the refreshment table.

“Don’t worry,” Pinkie pushes a slice of cake towards Twilight, smudging it’s pink icing across her clamped lips. “You can talk with them when they arrive, but now it’s time to party.” Another food laden hoof flies towards Twilight’s face, missing as she frees herself from Pinkie’s force feeding. Twilight’s eyes scan the room, searching for a white mass, a sun covered rear sticks out of the crowd.

“So Twilight has no friends?” As Twilight nears the princess she snatches hints of a conversation from the air.

“Yes,” Celestia’s voice confirms. “She may be an amazing student, but she struggles to find time away from her books.” Pushing her way to stand beside Celestia, Twilight discovers Rarity holding the other end of conversation.

“Oh, good evening Twilight dear,” Rarity bites her lips as her eyes catch sight of the purple filly, nervous enthusiasm covering her shock. “I was just discussing, um.”

“We were discussing you Twilight,” Celestia covers her student in a wing. “I was just questioning Rarity here about how you met and how wonderful it is that you two managed to connect so easily.” Teeth grit behind white lips as Rarity casts her gaze down, avoiding the princess’s congratulatory smile.

“Well, about that,” Rarity glances at Twilight, catching a warm smile. “I don’t know if Twilight and I really connected.” The admission brings confusion to the purple and white faces across from her. “I mean we did connect, and Twilight me teaching that spell made my day. It’s just I don’t give friendship away as easily as someone like Pinkie Pie.” On cue the pink pony bursts into their little huddle, snatching Twilight and darting away.

“Time for party games,” The remaining pair hear Pinkie cry, watching the struggling filly as she is dragged away.

“Aren’t you going to help her?” Rarity questions, confused by the princess’s seemingly lack of care for Twilight. Celestia’s lips form a smile, her eyes still trailing her squirming student.

“Not right now,” Celestia returns her eyes to Rarity. “I think Twilight needs to experience friendship, all aspects of it. I understand how you feel about Twilight, and I think we may be staying here for some time. It seems like a friendly town where Twilight can experience more than just books and studying.”

“I think-”

“Wooooooo,” Rarity’s reply is interrupted by the pink host screaming from across the room. “You did it Twilight, no pony’s ever gotten the tail on the donkey like that before.” The rooms attention is drawn by Pinkie’s enthusiasm. The pair turn to find Twilight hugging the ground, trying to hide from the surrounding ponies stares. Pinkie bounces around her purple friend, a massive grin showing her teeth.

“Now I think she’s had enough for one night,” Celestia strolls over to the nervous unicorn, wrapping her under a white wing, she leads her back to Rarity. “Twilight I was just talking with Rarity, and after thinking about what Luna told you earlier today we may be staying in Ponyville a little longer.” Twilight’s eyes light up and she wraps her forelegs around her teacher.

“Thank you so much Princess,” Celestia’s brow creases in confusion. “Now I can finish reading all those books in the library.” Rarity’s eyes meet Celestia’s, the two sharing a look before a wave of laughter overcomes them. “What’s so funny?” Twilight’s obliviousness fuels the pairs giggles.

“Twilight,” Celestia manages to breathe a word between her fits. “If we, stay, here I’m, not going to,” Celestia’s laughter ceases as she takes deeps breaths to recover. “Let you stay inside all day. Like I said earlier today, I want you to meet other ponies and try to connect with them. I’m sure Rarity here wouldn’t mind spending some time with you.” Rarity tucks her lower lip into her mouth uneasily, casting her eyes round the room for an escape.

“It’s not that I wouldn’t want to, it’s just,” Unable to fumble for an excuse Rarity sighs, meeting Twilight’s gaze. “I would love to show you around the town tomorrow Twilight. I’ll just meet you outside the library in the morning.” Twilight nods, warming to the idea of having another unicorn as a companion.
“Now we have that settled,” Celestia draws the unicorn fillies attention. “ I wish to ask you two about how Twilight taught you magic.” Celestia turns, leaving the unicorns to follow her to a table. Settling for one in the corner of the room, Celestia stretches herself out on a cushion. “So tell me every detail Rarity, I want to hear how it happened from your perspective.” Twilight and Rarity sink into cushions across from the princess.

“Well,” Rarity stares at the ceiling, attempting to recall what she felt during her first magical encounter. “It was like meeting an old, forgotten friend. I recognised things about it, even if I had never known it existed. It felt like part of me, and now that I have it I don’t know if I could give it up. It feels like such an important part of my person, almost as important as being a fashion designer.” Rarity’s horn glows white, highlighting her glistening eyes as she hugs Twilight. “Now that I really think about it, Twilight, thank you so much for giving me this gift.”

“Um,” Twilight looks to Celestia for guidance, finding only a smirk. “You’re welcome I guess,” Twilight manages, lightly returning Rarity’s embrace.

“Princess if you don’t mind me asking,” Rarity breaks her hug, calming her emotions. “Why is it that you never attempted to share Twilight’s magic before? Surely you must have known that this sort of thing is possible.” The questions is provokes a blank stare from Celestia, her mind thinking of a way to cover the truth.

“I was so invested in aiding in my sister’s return to Equestria it must have slipped my mind.” Rarity flashes a quizzical look at a nearby wall. “Please tell me more Rarity,” Celestia quickly diverts the conversation away from the sensitive topic. “I wish to know exactly-”

“Hey,” A brash voice yells at the group from across the room. “ Watch where you’re throwing that food.” Celestia and Rarity turn to find a rainbow-maned pegasus filly confronting Twilight.

“I’m sorry,” Twilight’s hooves raised defensively, she tries to ward her attacker off with words. “I was just grabbing a snack from the refreshment table.” Recognition dawns in Dash’s eyes.

“Aren’t you that purple filly who hit me with the door today?” Celestia’s mouth forms an O as the sky-blue filly pokes her hoof at Twilight. “What did I ever do to you?”

“Excuse me,” Celestia interrupts, drawing Dash’s attention. “Are you by any chance the flier to dislodged our door?”

“I wouldn’t have hit the door if,” Dash protests before recognising the speaker. “Princess Celestia?” Blue wings extend to their full reach, Dash’s eyes glow with excitement.

“You are correct, young one,” Celestia giggles at the filly’s reaction, closing her protruding wings with a white hoof. “What would your name be?”

“I’m um,” Dash searches her mind, panicking to find an identity that will impress the princess. “I’m Spitfire’s daughter Blaze, Wing. Yeah that’s it, Blaze Wing.” She punctuates her sentence with a flashy grin.

“As much as you like to dream,” Celestia tousles Dash’s rainbow mane, irritating the filly. “I know Spitfire has no children. What is your name, be truthful this time.” Realising she won’t be able to fool Celetia, Dash huffs, beaten.

“It’s Dash,” The filly replies, ashamed. “Rainbow Dash, and I’m the greatest flier in all of Equestria.” She shouts her last statement, rearing up, proud once again.

“See, there’s no need to be ashamed because you aren’t famous.” A white hoof rushes to Dash’s mouth, silencing her protests. “As long as you work hard your dream will come true.” A smile fight Dash’s lips, breaking free into a toothy grin.

“Thank you Princess,” A pink force pulls Dash from behind, immediately into the embrace of Pinkie Pie.

“That was so sweet Dashie,” Rainbow Dash’s smile droops at the sound of Pinkie’s pet name. “I’ve never seen you be so sincere.”

“Sincere?” Dash’s questions, confused. “What does that mean?”

“It m-”

“Why would you ask such a silly question Dash?” Pinkie interrupts Twilight mid-explanation. “I have no idea what that word means.” Celestia giggles at Twilight annoyed huffing. The purple filly waits till Pinkie finishes laughing at her own comment before attempting to speak.

“Where is your yellow friend Rainbow Dash?” Twilight asks. “Shy I think her name was? She seemed attached to you.” Dash dislodges herself from Pinkie’s grip, taking a cushion next to Celestia.

“It’s Fluttershy,” Dash corrects. “And she stayed at home, she doesn’t like parties. Too loud or something.” Pinkie leaps on top of the Rainbow Dash, piggybacking the squirming filly.

“What’s not to like about parties?” The wild pegasus thrashing underneath Pinkie halts her conversation, sending her flying into the nearest cake. “I mean there’s food, ponies, and fun. What better recipe could you possibly have?” Returning, Pinkie stretches her tongue about her face, cleaning the layer of brown icing.

“I think it’s a combination of all three,” Preening her messed wings as she speaks. “She’s always been a quiet filly, never really liked talking with other ponies too much.” Two glowing iced cupcakes float towards the group. One landing on the table, the other depositing itself in Twilight’s waiting mouth.

“Woah, woah, woah,” Dash looks up from her grooming and stares at the green-iced cupcake sitting before Twilight. “That was totally awesome. Is that some kind of advanced weather trick, the one where you make a tiny cloud and it holds things. Can you teach it to me? How can a unicorn control the weather?” Twilight swallows, the half-eaten cupcake choking her as she forces it down her neck.

“It’s,” Twilight breathes deeply, recovering from her near-death meal. “Magic. Nothing to do with clouds or pegasi. It’s an art Celestia helped me recover, I managed to teach Rarity here some as well.” Dash squints her eyes, suspicious of the unknown.

“Since when did unicorns have anything special except their horns?” Twilight looks to Celestia for leave to continue, and receives a confirmative nod.

“So this is where the whole towns been hidin’,” A southern twang breaks through the conversation filling the room, stopping Twilight before her mouth forms a word. All eyes turn to meet Applejack standing in the door panting. “Big Mac has gotten himself stuck under the collapsed barn, I need somepony to help.” A large dark-blue stallion approaches Applejack, she dismisses him with a hoof, her eyes scanning the room for possible help.

“I think we should assist her,” Celestia pulls the groups attention with her soft words. “It would be good training for you Twilight.”

“This is filly who helped me find the library door earlier today,” Twilight pushes her legs beneath her, taking the second cupcake in her purple glow. “It would be a good idea to return the favour.” Twilight’s motion catches Applejack’s gaze, pulling her across the room.

“Well if it ain’t you Twilight,” Applejack casts her eyes around at the ponies crowded around the table. “You sure keep strange company.” Applejack dismisses her own comment with a hoof. “That ain’t the issue right now. Big Mac is in trouble and I could really use the help of your glowy horn to get him out.”

Dash rises, stretching her wings fearsomely. “What makes you think she can help better than I can?” The blue filly asks, trying to uphold her reputation.

“Now I ain’t doubting your ability Dash,” Applejack reply is calm, not wanting to argue with the moody pegasus. “But I’ve seen what Twilight can do, and to be honest she’s the only pony who can help here.” The praise brings a rush of red to Twilight’s cheeks.

“I was actually wondering if we all could come?” Twilight asks cautiously, looking round at the group to gauge their response. Turning back to Applejack, “If that’s okay with you.” Applejack eyes the others ponies gathered at the table. Noticing the princess for the first time she half bows, removing her hat.

“Princess Celestia,” Applejack rubs a hoof against the back of her neck, guiltily avoiding the princess’s gaze. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.” Celestia giggles at the filly’s uncomfortableness.

“No need to apologize,” Celestia smiles, comforting Applejack. “It’s nice to see my student getting more recognition than me for once.” The princess fluffs her white wings as she stands, “I like Twilight’s idea, why don’t we all go help this filly.” The ponies that remain sitting rise at the princess’s suggestion. Pinkie rushes over to the snack table, meeting the group at the door with stuffed cheeks.

Twilight shivers as she steps through the door of Sugarcube Corner, the brisk night air a stark contrast to the stuffy atmosphere of the party inside. The other ponies share a similar response as they feel the cool grasp of the night.

The group follow Applejack out of town towards Sweet Apple Acres. The buildings thinning out as they walk, fields, streams and small clusters of trees replacing them. The scenery turning rows of apple trees filling orchards as they near their destination.

Applejack breaks into a trot as the collapsed barn comes into sight, a yellow pony shivering beside a red stallion.

“Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash spots the pegasus, speeding ahead to meet her. “What are you doing here? I thought you were staying home tonight?” The shouts meet the yellow filly’s ears, lifting the corners of her mouth into a smile as she turns to greet her friend.

“I was um, out, talking with some owls,” Fluttershy hides behind a curl of her pink mane, stumbling over her words. “They only come out at night you know. Anyway, I heard a something in pain. I couldn’t just ignore it, so I came here and found Big Mac, stuck.” Tears moisten the corners of the yellow filly’s eyes. “I couldn’t do anything to help, so I just talked to him. I’m such a terrible pony.” Fluttershy’s eyes overflow with tears, Dash’s arms cradling the sobbing filly.

“It nice and all that you’re comforting Fluttershy.” Applejack speaks up, directing her speech at the stunned ponies watching the yellow filly’s breakdown, “But it’d be nice if yall could help my brother over here.” Twilight blinks, snapping herself out of the captivating moment between Dash and Fluttershy.

“Right,” Twilight eyes the barn for the first time, it’s enormity sinking her stomach. “You want me to lift that? That door today was the largest thing I’ve ever levitated before.” She gives Applejack an unsure look, hoping for another solution.

Applejack leaves her brothers side, moving to place a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder, “We only need to lift it enough for Dash there to haul him out.” Dash catches Twilight’s eye, raising an eyebrow.

“We?” The purple filly queries.

“Dash?” The equally confused pegasus asks.

Applejack chuckles, “You didn’t think I was going to leave the whole job to Twilight did ya? We’re all doing this as a team.” Applejack disappears behind the barn, giving Rarity time to raise a hoof.

“I hope you don’t expect me to do any physical labour,” Rarity states. “I’ll just sit on the sidelines giving moral support with Fluttershy.” The white filly plants herself behind the still sobbing filly. Taking a long pink lock between her hooves, she fondles it, muttering encouraging comfort to Fluttershy.

Applejack returns, rope in mouth. “Twilight can you tie this under my brothers forelegs?” A purple glow surrounds the rope, lifting it out of Applejack’s bite. The purple snake twists and turns in the air for a moment before losing it’s color, deflating onto the ground at Applejack’s hooves.

“Sorry Applejack,” Twilight’s laughter is empty, hiding her nervousness. “I just remembered I have no idea how to tie rope.” Another hollow laugh brushes between Twilight’s lips.

“Well hardy ha indeed,” Applejack mumbles, taking the rope between her teeth. Crawling into the tight gap formed by her brother holding up the barn, she pushes one end of the rope underneath Big Mac, wiggling it under his legs, pulling it out the other side. She finishes the knot, looping the rope over her brothers neck, forming a makeshift harness. The other end is tossed to Rainbow Dash, who has left Fluttershy in Rarity’s care.

The unspoken pink filly and white princess are ignored, relieving themselves to sideline duties.

“So here’s the plan,” Applejack beckons her two teammates into a huddle. “I want you to push as hard as you can with your magic Twilight. When you’re at your limit I want you to yell. This’ll be the signal for me to buck the barn as hard as I can while Dash here pulls my brother out.” The other fillies nod. “Good, I don’t want this taking more than one try. Having a barn fall on you twice in one day ain’t nice.”

Breaking up, the three fillies get into their positions. Applejack curled next to her brother, legs aimed at the barn’s door frame. Rainbow Dash crouched, facing away from the barn, rope taut between her jaws. Twilight sits a few steps away, eyes closed as she decides her spell.

Dismissing all other thought Twilight forms her spark into a wave, a wall of water rising from below. Her horn brightening the night with it’s purple glow, ringing as it drives energy upwards. Wood creaks as Twilight’s wave hits the barn, relieving the pressure on Big Mac’s back. Applejack waits, wary for Twilight’s signal. The purple filly strains against the woods weight, giving all her energy to one spell.

“Now!” Twilight yells, reaching her breaking point. Applejack releases her rear legs, springing them towards the white wood of the barn frame, aiding in Twilight’s effort. Blue wings beat at Twilight’s signal, driving Rainbow Dash forward. Dust stirs underneath the red stallion as he is dragged to safety, the barn crashing into splinters behind him.

“Did we do it?” Applejack asks through the dust surrounding her, unable to spot her brother.

“Eeyup,” The sound of her brothers unburdened voice lifts the corners of Applejack’s mouth. Smiling she rushes for the source of the sound, bumping into the mass of red muscle that is Big Mac. “I’m so glad you’re safe Mac,” Applejack wraps her legs around her brother, tears forming in the corners of her eyes, her voice choking.

Celestia makes a move to catch Twilight as she collapses from exhaustion, her white wing cushioning the impact of her student against the ground. “That was very good Twilight,” Celestia comforts her student, ignoring the surrounding scene. “Just rest now, we’ll talk more in the morning.”

I, books, Princess,” Twilight mumbles, her mind spinning, sinking into the pool of sleep. Crouching next to her student, Celestia gathers the sleeping purple form with her wings, setting Twilight atop her back. She turns, studying the scene. Rainbow Dash strutting about proudly, ruffling her wings as Fluttershy whispers praise. Applejack helping Big Mac to his feet, being his crutch as they stumble towards the farmhouse. Pinkie Pie pulling faces at the pretendedly unamused Rarity, not wanting her to feel left out.

“So I assume we’ll be seeing you tomorrow Rarity?” Celestia’s question startles the white filly from her statuesque pose, her lashes fluttering as she directs her eyes at the princess.

“Oh yes, of course,” Rarity confirms. “To be honest I almost forgot in the craziness of the last hour, but yes, I’d love to spend some more time with Twilight.” The unicorn filly weighs each word through her exhaustion, yawning to punctuate the sentence.

“Oh, oh, me too,” Pinkie bounces at the mention of a gathering. “I’d love to join your little party,” Rarity meets the princess’s smiling, unreadable face.

Nodding, “I guess it couldn’t hurt for you to come along,” Rarity accepts, her mind working. “And while I’m inviting others, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack? Would you all want to join us as well? We could do something, fun.”

“I don’t know Rarity,” Dash meets Fluttershy’s eye, finding an eager smile. “It might cut into my awesome flight practice.” Yellow hooves tug Dash’s foreleg.

“If you don’t mind,” Fluttershy murmurs, eyes watching Dash’s hoof. “I’d like to spend more time with Rarity, she made me feel, um, nice.” Cocking her head, Dash weighs up how much nap time she’d be missing.

“I guess I could spend a bit of time with you guys,” Dash decides. “But after that it’s back to sle-, back to training.” Rarity suppresses her smile, turning to Applejack for a response.

“I don’t know Rarity,” The farm pony’s voice apologetic. ”I’d love to spend more time with y'all but the apples don’t pick themselves, and with Big Mac out for a while I’ll have to pick up his slack. I think I’ll pass.” Applejack continues her slow pace, aiding her brother’s shamble back to their home.

“Then I’ll be seeing the four of you tomorrow,” Celestia farewells, realising the time. “We should be heading home now girls, your parents will be wondering.” The ponies still conscious fall in beside Celestia as she strolls away from the farm, back to Ponyville.