• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 1,240 Views, 13 Comments

If There Was No Magic - Just Reading



Through one fateful spark, young Twilight finds herself on an adventure to return magic to Equestria.

  • ...
4
 13
 1,240

Arrogant, Timid, Stubborn, Insane, Uptight

“Do you see the tree in the centre of town?” Celestia questions Twilight, pointing her snout towards the colossal green and brown structure. Twilight nods. “That is where we will be staying for a few days while I speak with some ponies in the town. After we unpack you should explore the town a little.” Twilight cringes at the thought of leaving her books behind to roam strange streets filled with unknown ponies.

“I guess it couldn’t hurt to have a look around,” Twilight speaks hesitantly, gritting her teeth. Celestia’s lips form a smile, giving her student a sympathetic look.

“I know you feel uncomfortable interacting with other ponies,” Celestia’s words are soft, leaning down, her snout close to her student’s. “I’m sure there are some fillies and colts in this town who are just like you." Her hoof touches Twilight snout, squishing it inwards.

The carriage landing interrupts Twilight. The pair gather their bags, Twilight's glowing in magic, Celestia tucking hers under a white wing. Leaving Celestia to farewell the fliers, Twilight observes her surroundings. The tree they landed below has been altered for living, a door at ground, balconies and windows cut into it's trunk. Oddly shaped buildings surround them. Celestia, finished seeing the guards off taps Twilight on the shoulder.

“Come on Twilight, lets get our things inside,” Celestia strolls to the library’s door, nudging it open with her unburdened wing. Calling back over her shoulder, “Afterwards you can go and find some friends while I talk to the mayor.” Twilight nods, her mind plotting otherwise. Walls of books fill Twilight's vision as she steps into the main room. Dropping her things she rushes along the walls, scanning the titles for anything of interest. Her short list soon numbers over a dozen, soft giggles bubbling from Celestia as she watches her awestruck student.

“How long are we allowed to stay her?” Twilight’s bright eyes turn towards Celestia. “I’m going to need about 14 days to read all the books I haven’t seen before.” Celestia sighs, containing her laughter.

“We can only stay here for a few days,” Celestia explains. “If we stayed here for a two weeks, I wouldn’t want you cooped up inside all the time. You need to meet some ponies your age, and you won’t find them in books.” Twilight groans at the thought of being separated from her beloved books. Realising she has to leave the library at least once to please her teacher Twilight concedes a nod.Celestia ruffles her students mane, happy with her response.

With Celestia leading the way upstairs the pair discover their sleeping quarters. Two identical beds, too small for Celestia and too large for Twilight. Ignoring what will be strange sleeping conditions, they deposit their things at the foot of each bed. Glass doors open onto the balcony Twilight spotted from outside. Setting the rusted latches aglow, Twilight wiggles and pushes the doors open and steps outside, taking in the shamble of buildings that make Ponyville.

“See anywhere you’d like to go?” Celestia asks, joining Twilight on the balcony “We could go out for a meal after I finish my business for the day, if you like.” Twilight resists the temptation to dismiss the offer, not wanting to disappoint her teacher she searches the town in front of her.

“How about we visit that dessert shaped building,” Twilight points her hoof towards a life-sized gingerbread house poking out between other businesses. Celestia brings a hoof up to cover her soft laughter.

“Of course Twilight,” Celestia eyes her own rump, shifting to make it appear smaller. “I do hope they serve a healthy option, I shouldn’t have too many sweets.” Celestia turns to her student, nuzzling her goodbye, “I have to go now Twilight, promise me you at least try to explore the town.”

“Okay,” Twilight affirms, returning Celestia’s farwell. She stays on the balcony as Celestia gathers the necessities and clops downstairs.

When the wooden bang of the door closing reaches Twilight’s ears she springs into action. Racing downstairs she quickly grasps a few of the books she spied earlier in her purple glow. Settling herself on a deep blue pillow near the base of the stairs Twilight places her first journey on the wooden floor. Turning the books cover Twilight feels a pang of guilt. Not wanting to ignore the princess’s request she leaves her book and strolls towards the library’s front door.

Suspicious, Twilight inches the door open, pushing her muzzle outside. Woosh! A blue flash clips the partially opened door, tearing it off old hinges and sending Twilight tumbling backwards onto the hard wooden floor.

“Watch where you open that door,” an annoyed voice calls. Gathering herself, Twilight looks for the source of the voice and finds a messy, sky-blue pegasus filly standing before her. “You need to watch what you’re doing, you messed up my flying,” The pegasus shakes her rainbow mane irritably, waiting for a response.

“Um,” Twilight’s voice is shakey, not wanting to anger the suicidal flier any further. “I’m sorry I guess.” The blue filly steps closer, filling Twilight’s vision.

“You better be sorry,” A butter yellow blob slowly pushes it’s way into Twilight’s field of view. “Now I have to attempt that trick from the start, again.”

“Um, Dash?” The blob behind the aggravated rainbow before her turns out to be another pegasus filly. “Maybe it was your fault as well? Maybe just a tiny bit,” The yellow pegasus hides behind her light pink mane as she speaks. Her body shape is completely different compared to the athletic, rainbow maned pegasus before her. The shy filly’s limbs are long and skinny, while her body is tiny, making her stance as awkward as her speech.

“But Fluttershy,” ‘Dash’ turns towards her friend, protesting. “If she hadn’t have opened the door I wouldn’t have hit it.” She brings her hoof above her eyes, rubbing her bruises at the reminder. A small yellow wing spreads itself across Dash’s back.

“I’m sure she didn’t mean it Dash,” Fluttershy speaks softly, comforting Dash. “And if you didn’t fly so close to town you wouldn’t have hit her.” Her brave spell fades and she returns to the protection of her mane. “B-but that’s just what I think.”

“Yeah whatever,” Dash brushes Fluttershy’s wing off, ignoring Twilight completely. “I need to get back to practice.” Stalking out through the open door the blue pegasus leaves, her yellow friend trailing behind. Twilight makes her way to the gaping hole where the door was previously, searching for the missing chunk of wood.

“Don’t mind her,” A southern twang to her right pulls Twilight’s attention. “She’s a crazy pegasus, always destroying the town with her practice.” The speaker is another filly, her coat a clay orange. Tilting her head the earth pony shifts the brown stetson that sits atop her blond mane. “The names Applejack,” Applejack extends a hoof as she speaks.

“Hey Applejack, uh, I’m,” Twilight forgets her name, still shocked from her previous encounter. “Twilight, I’m Twilight.” The pony in front of her shrugs off her cart of apples, stepping closer to Twilight.

“It looks like you lost a door,” Applejack observes. “Do you need any help finding it?”

“Oh no I couldn’t possibly ask you to help with something that isn’t your problem,” Twilight words spill from her mouth, shaking her head as she tries to think of a way to rid herself of the friendly earth pony. “You look like you’re much too busy, pulling apples around. I’m sure I can do it on my own.” Applejack gives Twilight a once over and bursts out laughing.

“Sugarcube,” Applejack wipes a joyful tear from her eye. “There’s no way a skinny unicorn like yourself could lug a door that size back here, no offense. Even if you did get it here you’d be hard pressed to find a way of getting it back on it’s hinges, trust me you need my help.”

“Okay,” Twilight accepts her offer begrudgingly. “I guess you can help. Did you see where it went?”

“I think I saw it spinning towards the marketplace,” Applejack turns abruptly and walks off leaving Twilight to follow. The find the market in chaos, all the stalls abandoned, except for one surrounded by a crowd of ponies. “Move aside everypony,” the orange filly barges a path through the crowd, Twilight trailing close behind. They find the door embedded in a sweet stall, a cream coated pony with a blue and pink mane directing two stallions.

Heaving and shoving with hoof and snout the stallions are making little progress, causing more destruction to the sweet seller’s stall.

“Alright everypony move aside, I’ll take care of the door,” Applejack commands. The two stallions back off at the sound of her southern twang, giving her room to work with. Twilight stands in awe, How can this young filly be so confident, those two older ponies barely moved that door an inch. Forgetting Twilight for the moment, Applejack positions herself facing the crowd, hind legs aimed at the door. Shifting all her weight onto her front legs, Applejack lifts her rear off the ground, brings her back legs in and releases.

Thuk! The filly’s buck shifts the door further than the two stallions could have ever dreamed, yet it still only moves inches. Applejack positions herself again, preparing to strike the block of wood again.

“Uh, Applejack,” Twilight directs the comment at the orange filly, but grabs the crowd’s attention. “I think there’s a much easier way to do this.” Twilight looks anxiously at the crowd, not wanting to perform magic in front of so many strangers.

“Well I’m all ears sugarcube,” Applejack grunts, striking the door.

“Do you think you could clear the crowd for me?” Twilight’s request is met with odd stares from the surrounding ponies.

“How in the hay would that help?” Applejack’s continuous bucking only digs the door further into the dirt.

“Can you just do it Applejack,” Twilight confidence in weakening, about to burst under the pressure of the crowd. “For me?”

“Fine,” Turning to the crowd, Applejack acts as if the conversation hadn’t happened. “Free apple cider at Sweet Apple Acres, first ten ponies get double.” Heads turn, chatter builds amongst the crowd. One pony turns head and strolls off, followed by another, the whole crowd streams out of the marketplace, leaving only Twilight and Applejack remaining. “Now what?” Applejack returns her gaze to Twilight, waiting.

“Just watch.” Twilight closes her eyes, blocking out external stimulation, meditating on the door. She imagines water, a flood rising from the ground to meet the resting wood. Pushing the form higher the door rises, secure in her magical grasp. Raising her eyelids Twilight ignores Applejack’s stunned expression, concentrating only on the door. She takes slow steps, moving the glowing wave with the door, inching her way back to the library, Applejack following in disbelief.

“How, who, what in the hay is that?” Applejack stutters as Twilight manipulates the block of wood to cover the gaping hole in the library. “All that glowing and you moved that massive door, how can that be stronger than my bucking?” Released from her burden Twilight turns her attention to Applejack, nervously grinning.
“It’s just what unicorns do, you know, magic,” Twilight’s false grin widens as she lies.

“I don’t know about the unicorns where you come from,” Applejack eyes Twilight suspiciously. “But here in Ponyville the only thing that separates the unicorns from us earth ponies is their horns, and their weak legs.” accentuating her last point by bucking air.

“Well I guess you’re right,” Twilight’s words are shaky as she rubs her neck with a hoof. “Unicorns are different here.” Trying to ignore Applejack’s discerning squint Twilight takes a step backwards. “I best be going then, I’ll see you round Applejack.” the orange filly’s suspicions fade, her face returning to a neighbourly smile.

“I guess I’ll be seeing your round , uh?”

“It’s Twilight.” The purple filly immediately winces, still attempting to hide all truth from Applejack.

“Twilight, I guess I’ll be seeing you round.” Applejack works the waiting applecart back onto her shoulders. “If you ever need any help just call round at Sweet Apple Acres, just south of Ponyville.” Applejack calls as she clip-clops off.

Sinking to her flanks, Twilight relaxes against the door behind her. Relief stabilizing her nervous stomach. A gasp shatters her peace, begging for Celestia to return Twilight prepares to greet the next interruption.

A floating pink earth pony is the source of noise. Suspended in mid-air her eyes bugle, curly pink tail sticking up. Twilight rubs her eyes, she can’t possibly be floating, it must be all the stress I’m under. A purple hoof blocks Twilight vision long enough for gravity to return to the curly maned filly.

“Um I’m Twilight,” she speaks only to break the crushing silence between them. In response the pink filly turns tail and zips off, leaving Twilight with only dust to answer her questions. “Well at least that’s over,” Twilight comments to herself, letting her eyelids sink. I’ll just have a short nap, then back to the books. Magical exhaustion lulls her to sleep, images of the four fillies she met filling her dreams.

★★★

“Twilight.” A floating Celestia calls to her as she beats her four wings, soaring over the pink leaves of the library. “I see you made some friends, would you like to introduce them to me?” Miniature fillies spin round Twilight’s head, pink, orange, blue, yellow, pink. They endlessly cycle, dizzying Twilight. A door flattens Twilight’s face, bringing her relief from the circling colors.

“You’re not like the unicorns in Ponyville,” The orange blob strikes her with speech, curling into a ball Twilight tries to escape their taunts.

“Watch where you’re going.” Another hazy voice floats from the confusion surrounding her.

Other blobs join the ring, old memories from Twilight’s schooling.

“You’re always stuck in those books, are they your only friends?”

“Twilight!” Black, peace, alone at last. “Twilight I’m sorry, I should have stopped it sooner.” The night princess stands before her, just as bedraggled as when they last met.

“Don’t worry about me princess,” Twilight’s confidence helps ease Luna’s concern. “I never recall them after I wake.” Twilight eyes the deep blue mare before her, recalling Celestia’s plans. “Celestia and I found something, an old summoning focus you found while exploring the ruins inside the Everfree. Is that what you intended us to find in those books?”

“Truth to be told I had no exact idea what I was sending you to find,” Luna’s lips smile guiltily. “Now that you remind me however, I believe that focus would have a good chance of aiding my return to Equestria. We can talk of that later however, what concerns me are these dreams you have. When did they begin?” Luna’s face is all sympathy, eager hear about Twilight’s past.

“Well,” Twilight pauses, recalling her repressed past. “I think they began when I started attending Canter Academy. Everypony was so friendly, even though they were two years older and strangers to me. Over the first week things my things went missing, only small things at first like a pencil or eraser. I thought it was just forgetfulness, but soon books disappeared and finally my precious Smarty Pants doll vanished. I was in tears for the whole weekend.” Luna lifts a wing to comfort the filly before her.

“Did the culprits get caught?” Twilight nods.

“After my doll went missing I told my parents, they contacted the school and the offending ponies were expelled for theft.” Twilight’s eyes are still downcast, hiding the remaining tale.

“Wouldn’t your fear disappear with the bullies?” Luna questions, attempting to pry every detail from Twilight’s story.

“No!” Twilight’s shocks herself with the outburst, quickly covering her muzzle with a hoof. “I mean no. Only the ponies who actually stole were expelled, but everypony at the academy was in on the ‘joke’.” Twilight buries her snout into Luna’s soft belly, wiping her glistening eyes on the black-blue fur. “I felt so insecure. I saw the teachers after class for the days homework and assignments. All of my class time was spent studying in the Academies library. I protected myself with fantasies of other worlds, other times in history. Books became my home”

“That’s just awful Twilight,” Luna nuzzles the filly’s streaked mane. “You need to move on from your past however, keeping things locked away forever won’t help. You need to deal with this, if only to dream again. Dreams are a wonderful thing, a world far more vivid than books where you can write your own adventure.”

“But how?” Twilight eyes are eager now, locked on Luna’s smiling face.

“Just forget them. Ponies who cause you so much trouble shouldn’t hold a special place in your heart forever, and the best way to forget is start anew.” The confusion in Twilight’s eyes speaks her question without words. “You need to befriend some ponies Twilight. When you wake up I want you to speak with the first pony you see and just say hello, maybe ask them what their interests are?” Twilight nods, a smile pulling at her lips.

“You have my word Princess.” Twilight’s triumphant words wet Luna’s eyes.

“One last detail before I leave you Twilight,” Luna’s voice serious, a sniff holding back her joy. “The summoning focus requires six ponies of magical connection to operate successfully. I leave the finding of five other magical ponies up to you. Sweet dreams Twilight.” Luna fades away as the black surrounding Twilight clears, being replaced with the colors of Ponyville.

Cherry humming floats past Twilight’s ears, her eyes searching for it’s source. Another filly, a white unicorn, spots of dirt discolor her coat. She drags a wooden cart of colorful gems behind her. Twilight gathers her hooves beneath her, taking nervous steps towards the new filly. She’s a unicorn, maybe I can teach her magic?.

“Um, hello?” Twilight giddy words startle the filly, her curled, purple mane bobbing about her head as her eyes find Twilight. “My names Twilight, I’d like to know yours if it would be too rude of me to ask.” Extending a friendly hoof, Twilight finds the white filly pulling away from her greeting.

“I’m Rarity,” she grimaces at Twilight. “Whatever gave you the idea to approach me?” Twilight lowers her hoof, confused by Rarity’s response.

“I, I saw that you’re a unicorn,” a white horn bobs. “So I thought I could teach you something.” Rarity’s lips tremble, splutter, then full blown laughter, heightening Twilight’s unease.

“Darling what could you teach me?” Rarity exclaims, flicking a curl with her hoof. “Unless you’re a fashion designer from Canterlot, come to recognize my talent?” Rarity smirks at her own comment, laughter bursting from her lips once again.

“Um, magic?” Twilight hooves fidget with each other as she nibbles her lip. “I thought that maybe, because you’re a unicorn I could teach you magic,” Twilight’s eyes meet the floor. “I guess I was wrong.” Rarity grits her teeth, realising her mistake.

“No dear,” The white pony’s soft words full of concern. “Please show me this, magic. Is it some sort of card trick? Or are you going to pull a bit out of my ear?” Rarity frees herself from the cart, stepping towards Twilight.

“No,” Twilight’s lips turn in a half-smile at the suggestion. “This magic isn’t sleight of hand, it’s real magic. It’ll be easier if I show you.” Soft ringing fills the air, a gem hovering between the fillies surrounded in a purple glow. “I want to show you real magic, the kind all unicorns could perform thousands of years ago.”

“This is magnificent,” The purple glow tints Rarities face, a spark dancing in her eyes as she admires Twilight’s work. “You must teach me this, to think how easily I could sew and stitch.” Rarity’s gaze lowers, locking with Twilight’s. “How exactly does it work?”

“Well first you need to find the spark within you,” Twilight’s eyes close as she explains, meeting the essence within. “Have you got it?” Following Twilight’s example, Rarity’s lids are shut also, twitching as she strains to find her inner spark.

“I don’t think there is a spark,” A breath explodes from Rarity’s lips. “How did you first find yours?” The white pony’s perplexed look makes Twilight question her memories.

“I feel it’s always been with me,” Twilight decides. “It’s been a presence in my mind for as long as I can recall, I only realised how to use it a few months ago.” Twilight’s eyes trace the outline of Rarity’s horn, “Maybe I could, no that would be silly.”

“Darling I’m sure it’s a perfectly fine idea,” Rarity reassures. “I wouldn’t mind doing something a little silly in exchange for such a fine gift, out with it.” A white hoof beckons Twilight to continue.

“Okay then, close your eyes.” Rarity’s long lashes sink once again, her lips hold a nervous grin. “Don’t flinch Rarity, just try to feel my spark, try to take some of it.” Twilight’s eyelids close as she leans towards Rarity, warm redness coloring her purple face as their horns touch.

“Oh,” Rarity’s face joins Twilight in a blush. She ignores the intimacy, instead concentrating on the feel of Twilight contact. A soft glow embraces her mind and she reaches out for it. Drawing from it she morphs part of the purple spark into white, taking it with her, making it her own. “I think I have it Twilight,” Rarity speaks thoughtfully, her mind still firmly grasping the new presence. “Now how exactly do I do this?”

“Keep your eyes closed,” Twilight instructs. “Now to cast a spell you must grasp the magic and form it. For the levitation spell I performed earlier you need to form a pincer.” Twilight forms the spell herself, her purple glow taking hold of another gem, suspending it between the pair.

“If you don’t mind me asking dear,” Twilight’s eyes open to find a confused Rarity waiting for her. ”What exactly is a pincer?” A giggle overflows from Twilight, leaving Rarity even more lost. “What exactly is so laughable?”

“It’s just,” Twilight breathes between her bursts of laughter. “I asked Celestia the exact same thing when I was first learning. You reminded me of the crab that managed to get itself stuck on my snout, what a day that was.” Twilight’s reminiscing leaves Rarity with more questions than answers.

“Celestia?” Rarity questions, her brow lowering. “As in Princess of the Sun Celestia?”

“The one and only,” Twilight confirms, dropping Rarity’s jaw. “She’s my teacher. If you want you could come with me to meet her later.” Rarity’s blue eyes bulge at the suggestion, her open mouth forming a smile.

“I would love to Twilight,” The white pony exclaims. “Oh to meet a Princess, it would be a dream. We shouldn’t get distracted from the issue at hand however.” Still hungry to learn magic Rarity calms her features. “Do you think you could draw a pincer for me, or possibly describe it?” Twilight’s eyes roll upwards, her mind deciding the best course.

“I think this’ll work,” A patch of ground between the fillies glows purple, shifting and shaping, rising to eye level. “There, that’s what a pincer looks like.” Twilight examines the crafted dirt, proud of her creation.

“So I just need to imagine this?” Rarity’s question is met with a purple horn bobbing as Twilight nods. “Okay,” White lids close once more. Concentrating, Rarity forms her spark. “What, now?” Rarity asks carefully, not wanting to shatter the sculpture in her mind.

“Just let it go,” The words spoken as Twilight releases her grasp on the dirt, letting it fall, crumbling as it strikes the grass.

“I,” Rarity almost protests, but restrains her tongue. Why would she be so truthful about all this only to lie and fool me at the last moment? Unable to answers her self imposition Rarity relaxes her grip on the magic inside, and lets go. Immediately she feels it, like another limb floating free of her body but still under her control. She feels for a gem behind her, grasping it between the teeth of her new grip, hovering it before her snout. Her eyes flutter open, gasping with awe as she spots the snow-white glow surrounding the ruby suspended before her.

“Rarity, it’s beautiful,” Twilight breathes, eyes captive to the glow before her. “Just think, if I can share this with you then Shining, mom, dad, maybe even the Princess.” Twilight dives, capturing the confused white filly in a hug. “Oh thank you so much Rarity.” Nervous laughter bubbles from Rarity as she eases Twilight off of her, rubbing her neck where the gem left an indent.

“Twilight dear,” Rarity’s voice is hesitant, unsure if she is reading the situation properly. “Are you telling me I’m the first pony you’ve shared this with?” Twilight’s nod pushes Rarity back a step, shocked. “Why me? I’m just a stranger, albeit a fabulous one,” Rarity playfully tousles a large purple curl with a hoof. “But a stranger all the same. So why me?”

“I,” Twilight brings a hoof to her mouth, digesting the situation for the first time. “I don’t know. I guess I always thought that my magic was just mine, not to share. When I saw you I just wanted to please Luna, I wasn’t thinking it just happened. I,” The purple hoof drops to the dirt as Twilight gazes back over her shoulder. “I’m, I need to see Celestia. Sorry Rarity,” Twilight returns her eyes to the sight of her intrigued new friend. “I really have to go, but I’ll see you tonight.” Turning her body Twilight’s hooves dig into dirt, ready to propel her back to the library.

“Where exactly are we going?” Rarity’s words stop Twilight in her tracks. “If you don’t mind me asking darling.”

“We’re going out to the big dessert shaped building near the centre of town,” Words rush from Twilight’s mouth as she suppresses the excitement building within her. “We’ll be there around sunset.”

“You mean Sugarcube Corner?” Rarity’s mind already sorting through her minds wardrobe, mixing and matching for her first meeting with royalty. “I’ll see you there then dear.” A nod is all Twilight returns, her streaked tail fluttering behind her a she gallops off.

“Celestia?” Slipping through the library’s back door Twilight calls for her teacher. At the lack of response Twilight strolls between shelves, meaning to have a bite to eat before searching for Celestia.

A page rustles it’s protest as she slips on it, cringing at the damage to such a precious object. A word jumps out the page, then another. Soon Twilight has read a sentence. A pages glows as she finishes it’s content, ready for the next side. Just one book, Twilight thinks as she finds a comfortable sitting position. I’ll find Celestia after this.

★★★

“Twilight?” Celestia’s voice rings through the library, finding Twilight curled upon a cushion paging through Mysteries of the Everfree, attempting to discover more about the mysterious forest she would soon be visiting. “I’m finished with my duties for the day, are you ready to go out?” Twilight’s eyes continue to follow lines of text, oblivious to her teachers return.

“Twilight?” The words funnel into Twilight’s ear, shocking her out of the books grasp.

“Yes Princess?” Blinking, Twilight looks up, catching her mentor giggling. “Is it time for us to go?”

“Yes it is Twilight,” Celestia speaks softly, a laugh still rumbling in her throat. “Did you do what I asked of you today?” Twilight stars at the princess quizzically, her mind not fully comprehending the question.

“Oh, yes, I did actually,” Twilight’s mind shifts to her encounters earlier today. “I met, four fillies today and I feel like I experienced a wide variety of personalities.” Twilight’s eyes observe the ceiling as she processes her memories. Celestia stands patiently, waiting for her student to retell her day. “I happened upon two pegasi first, one blue and not the nicest, the other yellow and shy. They were, interesting to say the least, leaving me short of a door.”


“I assume that’s why the door fell off it’s hinges,” Celestia smirks, bringing a nervous grin to Twilight’s face. Celestia’s smile breaks into a reassuring look. “Don’t worry about that Twilight, it’ll get fixed. Just continue with your day.” Her hoof urges Twilight on.

“Well,” Twilight pauses as she recovers her scattered thoughts. “Next this orange earth pony filly, Applejack if I remember correctly. She tried to help me with the missing door, but it was too heavy for her to buck so I had to magic is back here. I was drained after the levitation so I took a nap and, um,” Twilight recalls her emotional moment with Luna, unsure if she should share it. “I talked with Luna, and she enlightened me on details we lacked about the focus. She said we need six tightly bonded ponies to power the focus, but I have no idea where we’d find them.”

“Yes, that would make sense,” Celestia confers with herself, ignoring Twilight for the moment. “You would need something more powerful than just simple magic to overcome the moons grasp.”

“Uh, Princess,” Twilight looks up at the princess, confusion creasing her brow. “Could you please explain what you’re thinking?” The princess snaps from her thoughts, serious eyes holding Twilight’s gaze.

“There was a magic greater than what unicorns and princesses wielded,” Celestia explains. “It was a magic all ponies shared through the bonds they had. That magic has been missing from this world since Magi vanished however, so unless you can rediscover it also I fear we may find it difficult to progress with my sisters return.”

“Magi,” Twilight chews the word, trying to recall details about the princess. “She provided magic for other ponies, right?” Celestia’s nod sparks a memory in Twilight’s mind. “Princess something amazing happened today!” Twilight’s exclamation elicits a laugh from Celestia.

“I know Twilight,” Celestia’s lips hold and easy smile as she leans towards her student, intent on nuzzling her purple cheeks. “It sounds like you had an exciting day.”

“No I haven’t told you everything,” Shocking the princess, Twilight rises, backing away from Celestia’s touch. “I taught Rarity magic.” Celestia’s lashes flutter as her mind attempts to deny what she just heard.

“You?” Celestia questions, her smile fading.

“I taught another unicorn a levitation spell,” Twilight’s words slow, her tone injured.

“Twilight,” Unable to form cohesive thought, Celestia’s mouth opens and closes, gulping down air. “I.”

“Did I do something wrong?” Twilight sinks, her purple rump finding wood, shameful eyes downcast. “I only wanted to help her,” Feeling her eyes moisten as the sight of the wounded filly Celestia steps forward, bringing her student into an embrace, cocooning her in white wings.

“Not at all my student,” Celestia’s warm, comforting word float into Twilight ears, nursing her false shame. “I’m extremely proud of you. I just never expected this to happen, I will need some time to grieve for my lost sister, but having you bring magic to another pony is the best news I’ve heard all century.” Wiping away joyful tears with a white hoof, Celestia hold her student, simply focusing on the filly’s heartbeat. “Will I be able to meet the lucky filly tomorrow?”

“I hope you don’t mind,” Twilight stares into the pink eyes above, trying to make sense of the concoction of emotion flowing within her. “I invited her to meet us at Sugarcube Corner before sunset.” Celestia mentally checks her sun’s lowering position above the horizon.

“We should get ready then Twilight,” Celestia releases Twilight, helping her up with a gentle wing. “we wouldn’t want to keep your new friend waiting.”