• Published 18th Jul 2013
  • 2,290 Views, 61 Comments

Goodbye, Winona - Shirley Not Serious



Sometimes the hardest thing is not letting go, but pulling the trigger.

  • ...
3
 61
 2,290

Goodbye, Winona

I strolled out into the field of Sweet Apple Acres, atop the tallest hill on our property. Winona followed, limping slowly. It seemed like hours before she had climbed halfway up the hill. Then she stopped, laying down on the soft grass to pant. I kneeled down, patting the soil softly, whistling to Winona. She stood up, her tail wagging, and she began to stroll towards me. The sun was setting behind her, and as it neared the horizon I was blinded, not by the illuminated orb, but by a vision of Winona's younger self. Her bright brown and white fur, the youthful spark in her eye, and even her restored vigor flooded my vision. I had lost track of time, dreaming of days past, until I noticed the growing trail of drool down my leg.

I looked down; Winona was licking my leg. I ruffled her fur with my hoof, and she wagged her tail in return. Good girl. I set down the basket I had carried, and laid out a picnic of chocolate and kielbasa and apples. She focused on the pile of forbidden food, so close, yet she didn't bother. Good girl.

Staring at her, I know she had gotten old, like we all had over the past fifteen years. Her teeth had become a rotten brown; she had lost a lot of them. She never chewed on toys like she used to, only eating mushy dog food. Her eyes had become dark, dilated and somber. Her mouth wore a permanent grimace, and her nose never curiously smelt anything anymore. The pancreatic cancer had taken its toll; she had thinned out so much in so little time. But no matter what happened, or how many years had passed, she was still the same dog I loved.

I gave Winona a slight push towards the pile of food. She did nothing. I told her excitedly to eat. She did nothing. I even picked up a strip of chocolate and placed it before her nose. She still did nothing. Winona just stood there, panting softly and staring into the distance. For a moment, she looked up into my face and started to wag her tail. In that fleeting moment, it was like everything was back to normal: Winona was healthy and strong, vibrant and youthful. I looked down at her and smiled. A slight breeze ruffled my hair.

A single tear of regret fell out of my eye, sliding its way down my cheek and into the cold embrace of the earth.

I saw her eyes had brightened again, her dirty fur blew in the breeze and for a few seconds, we just stared at each other. It seemed like the first day we met:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Big Mac threw the football as far as he could. It pierced the wind, and created a small shadow that glided across the fields of Sweet Apple Acres. I galloped as fast as my hooves would take me, even managing to catch the ball in the process. I breathed heavily, the exertion taking its toll. But above all, I was smiling; it had been a long time since I played with Big Mac like this.

Suddenly, the clock chimed its same old chime. I had hoped today it would somehow be slower, but it was built to last, just like everything else on the farm.

He walked up to me, his helmet by his side. "Sorry sis, ah have to finish buckin' the Northern field before the first frost of the season."

I turned on the spot and walked off. I was tired, not from the game, but from hearing the same excuse day after day after day. "You always have to work."

I didn't turn back.

***

The next morning I awoke early. Idly glancing around the room, my eyes groggily came to rest at the foot of my bed. There sat a simple box, with holes. It was wrapped in bright red paper, and laced with yellow ribbon. Adding to the peculiarity was a small tag. I didn't bother reading it. Big Mac's hoofwriting was instantly recognizable. I threw back the covers and dragged my still-sleepy flank across the creaky floorboards towards the box. It rustled, the crinkling paper creating the same racket that awoke me.

I reached for the package, carefully peeling off both ribbon and wrapping. A plain brown box stood before me, and later, not even that. To my surprise, all that remained was a pair of adorable little eyes, a racing heart, and brown and white fur.

It was a puppy.

We stared at each other for an eternity, before she jumped up and licked my face. I wrapped her in my hooves, nuzzling the dog against my cheek.

Big Mac had given me a friend, one that I would cherish till the end.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

She was a good dog. She was there for me when I needed her the most.

Nay, she still is my good dog.

Now it was time for me to return the favor.

I stood up. Winona rose with me. I told her to lie down. She readily followed my last command. Good girl. I trudged off, sinking directly behind Winona, with my back to her. I heard the grass rustle, and wet slopping. I turned and saw her digging her teeth into the forbidden pile. She deserved it. It was her last day after all.

Only the topmost ridges were in the sun now. The shadow in the valley was blue and soft. The little evening breeze blew over the clearing and the leaves rustled and the wind waves flowed up the apple trees. I removed my hat dutifully and laid it on the ground behind me. The shadow in the valley was bluer, and the evening came fast.

I reached in the basket and brought out the pistol; I snapped off the safety. I looked at the back of Winona's head, at the place where the spine and skull were joined. I raised the gun and steadied it and leveled it with the scruff of Winona’s neck. My hoof shook violently, but I was set in my mission.

Goodbye, Winona.

I pulled the trigger. The crash of the shot rolled up the hills and rolled down again. Winona jarred, and then settled slowly forward to the soil. She lay without quivering.

I shivered and looked at the gun, and then threw it from me in equal parts contempt and disgust. It slid to the base of the hill, settling near the rows of apple trees. I sat stiffly on the hill and looked at my right hoof that had thrown the gun away. It shook violently. My left hoof held it steady, which left nothing to stem the flow of tears from my eyes.

I never cried so hard in my life.

Dear Celestia, what had I done?!

Author's Note:

Origin story based off of the comic "Big Mac Best Friend Forever" by Dori-to on deviantART

http://dori-to.deviantart.com/art/Big-Mac-Best-Friend-Forever-334410261

Comments ( 59 )

This is the most beautiful and saddest thing I ever read! But I had to experience the same thing that happened, though. This is well done. Good job!

Johnny Cash- 'Hurt' you deserve this :')

My God! That was truly a heart wrenching story. :fluttershysad::fluttershysad:
Your writing is amazing for me to even feel so sad. Well done. :pinkiehappy:

Oh my god the feels!:raritycry: Bravo sir, bravo.

2896910>>2896894>>2896892 I'm happy you all enjoyed it. I thought it might have been to short considering fleshing out Applejack's reaction to an event. But I didn't want to overbear the audience with, what I thought would be, really cliche sadness.

2896922 I know what it's like to lose a beloved family pet, both cats and dogs. One cat we raised from a kitten lived for 20 years.

I wasn't really very sad for me; it was too short. It was still a good story, though! :pinkiehappy:

2896981 This story is actually a literal 'ponified' version of me putting down my dog. I've never held a gun since then. I'll have to get over it one day. Story writing helps.

2896993 My mom had to choose to put this cocker spaniel to sleep after her back went out.


I am glad you found an outlet through the art of writing fan fiction.

I have started writing fan fiction for the MLP: FiM since May 2013 and I came up with 4 stories (two are an origin story and a sequel).

thanx you ass i spend 36 years and thousands of dollars at tattoo parlours and gyms to make myself an overlarge angry heartless bastard and you go and ruin it.
hope your happy

dick.

have an upvote.

2897015 That has got to be one of the funniest :rainbowlaugh: responses I've ever seen. Well done, sir. Have a moustache :moustache:

2897026 i try to entertain as well as express appreciation.
still hate you though.

whats worse is im a fucking cat person.
hate dogs.

poor winona * sniffle* i have to belt sand my tats off now. no longer tough enough.
my tattooist is gonna be pissed.

2897051 And your responses keep getting better!

Putting this on my read later list now. I'm putting my dog down soon, and I was going to write an Applejack/Winona story once I was able to come to terms with it. Maybe I won't have to.

2897112 Sorry for ridding you of the opportunity. Looking at your stories, I see you have a great track record for sad fics. Once you do read this story though, i hope you enjoy it.

2896993 I know how it feels. Our dog had gotten rabies. (Golden retriever... awesome dog. Had her for six years. Her name was Molly. (Dad named her...)

Well Molly had been moping around and even whining every so often. I tried to play fetch with her, which she freaking loves, but she just walked away slowly. I thought that maybe she didn't feel well. Little did I know, I couldn't be more right. I wish I wasn't.

I came home before my dad, which he doesn't get home until 5PM. The first thing I did was call out to Molly. She didn't come. She always comes running. I had a nagging feeling in the back of my head that something was very wrong. We have a back door with a dog flap and I assumed that she was outside and somehow didn't hear me. I walk to the window to see... to see Molly standing over the corpse of her two year old pup, Sammy. I was mortified. Terrified. Frozen. What's worse is that she was very close to the window and I could see her muzzle. She was foaming. It was all to clear what I had to do. I just didn't want to do it. Molly had suffered some minor wounds too, probably from Sammy. I went and grabbed the 22. rifle and loaded it. I can remember my hands were trembling but i still went through with it. I decided to go around and not through the back door. She was too close and I didn't want to contract rabies. I went around and poked the gun over the fence. Molly looked up and started growling. She wasn not herself, of that I can assure you. The dog I had raised ever since she was a just a pup was now in my crosshairs. I had bonded with that dog. One could say... I loved that dog.

I aimed for the head... and pulled the trigger.

Yeah, I know how you feel. It sucks...:fluttercry:

2897143 This was two years ago.


Burying your dog is never easy...

:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::raritycry::raritycry::raritydespair::raritydespair::applecry: its to much sad

2897143 wow. I feel so sorry for you........ I remember when my hamster died.....:applecry:

alright ponyphiles out there i will not be the only 220lbs muscled male biker growing a damn vagina.
spread the word. this needs make featured.
i will NOT go down alone.
come hell our high water ill take a few with me boyo.
plus this is better than roughly oh half of what is featured at the moment.

2897196 I got over it slowly but all's fine in the end. Life goes on.

2897207 im glad you are ok :twilightsheepish:

2897206 This story, last I checked, is at the top of the 'Popular Stories' list... SOON!

I put down my dog Starfish a while ago I still miss her.:raritydespair: you are an asshole for bringing up those emotions.

i just blog posted this so my mighty army of 5 followers shall rally forth.......crap i suck.
but still my minute squadron of 5 follower......ah screw it. hope it gets you a few more though

That was an amazing story :fluttercry:
Reminded me when we had to put down the dog we had since I was 4... :raritycry:

2896922 Gonna read later, I don't know if I can handle this story now. A few days ago we had to put our boxer Buckley to sleep, and he had cancer in his gums that had spread to his digestive tract.

As someone who had both his favorite pets euthanized because of cancer (one of which I stayed to witness the passing) , I say fuck you for making me remember them fondly.
When that little bastard cat went limp in front of my eyes, fuck.
I know that stupid pain. Have an upvote and a fave to make it go away.

Mother*ucker. I've not even read the f*cking story yet, and I wanna cry. You. Are. Evil.

Yes, I knew it. Thank you so much. I'm gonna go to bed and cry myself to sleep. now.

God fuck you fuck you! I was about to go to bed, and felt like roaming the 'new stories' list, and this is what I get? God DAMNIT, I'll never get this sadness out of my mind. You've ruined my entire night!

Ugh. Have an up-vote for making me miss every dog I've had to put down. You're a horrible person.

2897312>>2897574>>2897782>>2898166 You all express the greatness about a well-written narrative: not only does it evoke an emotional response in the reader, it makes the reader relate the story to an event in their life.

Thanks for your encouragement and support!

2898212 Also, you get a follow from me, because I hate you so much.

One thing I despise though: people who dislike and don't comment about what they didn't like! ARGHHH :flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

Big Mac's hoofwriting was instantly recognizable.

Since they write with their mouths... wouldn't it be mouthwriting? Me and over-analyzing.
Finally read it and memories of Sammy and Molly just came back with a vengeance. God damnit... now I feel like crying. :fluttercry:

You have no idea what this story did to me, and how it effects me :fluttercry:

Hmm...this is very feels filled. I added it to the other folder in Twilight's Library.

Fantastic story, loved it! Well, as much as one can love a story about losing a best friend.

Having had to do the same thing with my dog after he was bitten by a snake (yes, it is true, everything in Australia tries to kill you!); this story was heartbreaking, but wonderful.

Kudos, and have a thumb and favorite from me.

What was a great story but you mad me very sad :fluttercry: :applecry: that being said nice job on writing a great story.

2898389 I still won't forgive you for making me rember Starfish, I buried her out by the lake me and her use to walk together.

I was at a friend's house the day they mercifully "put him down". I only new the little fella for about a day and I could still feel the sadness in that house at his passing. Good story, I only wish there was more indecision when she whipped out the pistol. Though I could see why there wasn't.

Beautiful. Simply Beautiful:ajsleepy:

Many tears sheded while reading this story :fluttercry: Very well made! :pinkiehappy:

This was A very sad story why did Winona have to die whyyyyyy!!! Oh we'll that's life I guess better than her suffering. Just like old yeller is that where u got the idea

2907459 No. This story is a reflection, both physically and mentally, of me having to put down my dog.

2907645 sorry for your lost

2896892 Click the link to this comment for a Johnny Cash song. It is a fucking awesome song

-The Good Doctor

Raven: You gave your best friend a merciful death..... That is what you have done.......

Dr. X: ......... Tips his hat and holds it in front of his chest in mourning and respect, closing his eyes that are hidden behind his blackout shades A moment of silence to remember Winona, a great friend and loyal companion of the Apple Family.................

Very well done. Have a like.
Not enough? Have a Moustache too. :moustache:

Login or register to comment