• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 1,100 Views, 25 Comments

Makeshift Heroes - Biplane



When Equestria's Heroes disappear, it falls upon a different group of heroes to save them. A group that... probably wouldn't be Equestria's first choice. Everything rests in Trixie, Lightning Dust, Flim, Flam, and Zecora's hooves.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,100

Welcome, Princess... Uhh...

Meanwhile, in a particularly shadowy corner of the woods, a mysterious cloaked pony meets discreetly with five others. Under a forehoof, he holds a mysterious, rectangular package, wrapped in twine and brown paper.

“So, the matter is settled? We are agreed on how to proceed?” said the cloaked pony.

“Not quite!” said one of the other five, a gray earth pony, taking a step toward the cloaked pony. His voice was raspy. “There is still the matter of payment! If you want us to put ourselves in danger for you, then what is it that you are going to do for us? We were promised something that would be ‘worth our while!’ We would like to judge that for ourselves!”

From under the hood, the cloaked pony’s mouth split into a thin, toothy grin. “Oh, I think you will agree with me, that these are indeed worth a great deal, particularly to the likes of you.” And the mysterious pony produced from his saddle bag a half-dozen small necklaces, each adorned with a small gold pendant.

The gray pony frowned, but didn’t quite hide the flash of recognition in his eyes. “Trinkets! Worthless! Is this a joke?!” he said, almost convincingly.

The hooded pony laughed in reply, it was a deep laugh that sounded… somehow, indescribably, subtly… strange, like a fraction of an echo. “Why, my good friends! These are amulets that will prevent the most common detection spells from working on you! Surely they would have immense value to the right pony… or… perhaps… to the right something else,” he growled with another thin grin.

The gray pony’s eyes widened momentarily in surprise. “Then, you know?! How…?” He and his friends backed away from the hooded pony a couple steps, looking around them in panic for an ambush or a trap.

The hooded pony held up a placating hoof. It was hard to tell in the shadows, but it looked strange, as if it was covered in black streaks, but not like a zebra. “Be still, my friends. Of course I know. In fact, I’m rather counting on your… unique skills. We should be safe here. Why not drop your disguises?”

The five other “ponies” looked at each other for a moment, silently trying to decide if they should listen to the strange pony. Then, one by one, they disappeared in puffs of green fire, replaced by black, chitinous creatures, vaguely pony-shaped, with long, fanged teeth, curved horns sprouting from their foreheads, gossamer, insectile wings, and several holes through their legs and hooves, not unlike swiss cheese.

Changelings.

The hooded pony’s smile was wider now. “Good. Good. It seems that you are indeed going to be useful to me. As, I am sure, these will be to you and your kind,” the hooded pony hoofed the pendants over to the head changeling.

One of the changelings in the back, the smallest of the five, piped up. “Hey, how do we know those work?!”

“They work,” said the head changeling, not breaking eye contact with the hooded pony. “I’ve seen these before. They used to be in the hive’s possession, before they were lost during the invasion of Canterlot. ...But how did you get these? Who are you, pony?”

The hooded pony did not answer. Instead, he held the wrapped rectangle out to the changeling. “As we discussed, the job is simple: in this packaging is a magical artifact. A painting. All who gaze upon it will become trapped inside if the magic words are spoken. Included inside is a parchment with the words written upon it. When the words are spoken a second time, all inside the painting will be released, and all who gaze upon it at that time will become trapped, and so on. You are to trap the Princess Twilight Sparkle and her five friends inside this painting.”

The small changeling spoke up once more. “I don’t like this. I don’t trust this pony. This doesn’t feel right. How do we even know this painting works? This is stupid, we shouldn’t be messing with this kind of stuff!”

The pony and the other changelings looked at him, scowling. “Well,” said the head changeling, “We could try it out!”

The small changeling’s eyes opened wide as the other changeling tore the paper off the painting.

. . .

“Flim,” said Flam, he-of-the-moustache, as the two walked through the woods.

They were headed away from that showmare’s stage and toward the place in which their Super Easy Cider Squeezy 6000 had broken down last week. The two had set up a sort of camp there, while they tried to get the contraption running again. It was always wise to have your escape set up and running before you were run out of town. That was just good business.

“Hmm?” said Flim, he-of-the-not-having-a-moustache, “What is it, brother o’ mine?”

“I don’t know if I like that we stole all of this.”

Flim looked aghast. “Why, brother, we’re not thieves! We’re swindlers! Why, we’re businessponies!”

Flam looked behind him, at the various pieces of equipment levitating behind them that they had taken from underneath the stage. He waved his hoof at them, “But… we just took it. We didn’t even swindle.”

Flim raised his eyebrows, “Brother o’ mine, you know what it sounds like? It sounds like the rubes have gotten inside your head! Don't you remember? The world is an eat-or-be-eaten place! Everypony out there has it in for you and me, brother, you better believe it! We’re just doing what we have to to keep ahead of them! Besides, brother, I remember trading a keg of cider for all of this, don’t you?”

Flam ordinarily would have agreed. Today, he did not. “Still… that wasn’t actually how it happened, Flim.”

“Yes, it was.”

“No, it-”

Yes, it was! This isn’t like you at all! We need these parts to fix the 6000, do you want to be stuck here when this town inevitably turns on us like all the others? Brother, what is the matter with you today?”

“I don’t know, Flim. I don’t know.”

“Well, don’t you worry! You’ve still got me, and I’ve still got you! Doldrums or no, Flam has his Flim, and Flim has his Flam, and we’ll take this world on together, you and I! Us against them!” The un-moustached brother threw a forehoof around his be-moustached brother, and smiled at him.

Flam smiled in return, “You’re right, brother! You’re- what was that?!” he said, as a bright flash from the woods off their path distracted him.

The two met each other with a gaze, then cautiously approached, “Hello out there?” Flim called.

“Ponies are coming! Scatter!” rasped a voice. The two reached the shadowy clearing just in time to see the underbrush rustle in four directions and, for an instant, what looked like a scowling pony vanish completely into shadow, but that had to be a trick of the light.

Flim and Flam looked at each other, looked back at the empty clearing, and shrugged, then carried on with their new supplies.

. . .

It was late afternoon, and the train was pulling into town.

To say there was a “flurry of activity” around the platform didn’t do it justice. There was a veritable blizzard of activity. Ponies running this way and that, preparing this or that. Ceremonial thus and such. Pomp and circumstance. Bands and revellers. Acorns.

Acorn bread. Acorn pancakes. Acorn muffins. Salads with acorn garnish. Salted acorns. Fried acorns. It wasn’t exactly Sweet Apple Acres, but there was a huge variety of local recipes on display nonetheless, each pony hopeful that their beloved concoction would draw the eye of the princess herself.

Mayor Flax stood smiling at the center of it all, waiting to greet the Princess as she disembarked. Beside him were the ponies he had personally selected to be part of the greeting committee, the ponies he believed were among the town’s most outstanding ponies.

He was proud of his choices. They represented the best and the brightest of the town under his charge, and for the most part, they understood and appreciated the honor of being selected. He looked over them all, nodding to himself. This is going to be perfect. Everything is going "super groovy!" he thought to himself, rather optimistically, if you ask me.

Among them was the Weather Patrol Captain, of course, and the town's finest entertainer, naturally. Ordinarily, Lightning Dust would have been largely indifferent to an honor such as this, and Trixie would have been revelling in the glory of it, but this had been a rough day for each of them. The two pointedly did not look at each other. Flax did not notice this.

Lightning Dust was looking forward to an opportunity to remind everypony (and, mostly, herself) that she was important. That she was the best. Being in the presence of royalty could hardly hurt. It wasn’t her fault that stupid magician couldn’t clean her own stage or own a proper house! It wasn’t her fault that everypony in this town thought she was unfriendly! It wasn’t her, it was them!

Trixie couldn't quite bring her spirits up. Of course it was fitting that The Great and Powerful Trixie greet the royal party. She told herself this. She wore a comfortably familiar face of arrogant confidence. And she definitely wasn't nervous about putting on a show for Princess Celestia herself, no, not all all, no way. But all she could think of was what was left of her tent, her humble home. She also wished she could have worn her dazzling cape and hat, but they were far too tattered. The wretched cider taste was still in her mouth. Oh, it had been a rotten day. She bit her lip as she waited.

There was an excited buzz in the air as the train made its slow approach to the platform. Flags flew from the engine, colorfully proclaiming the train's royal passenger to all onlookers. Screeching and squeaking noises came from the wheels of the train as the brakes brought the train to a slow, controlled stop.

Mayor Flax stepped up on a small box. Showtime. “Fillies and gentlecolts! Welcome! I know you’re all very 'pumped' for the festivities, so without further ado, I hereby decree this year’s Oakville Acorn Festival officially started!”

A cheer rose up from the assembled crowd.

“And I know you are all very excited to welcome our beloved, benevolent monarch, Princess Celestia!” he said dramatically, throwing a hoof in the direction of the train carriage door.

The door flew open, the crowd cheered with delight, confetti and streamers flew ...and Princess Twilight Sparkle stepped out, smiling awkwardly.

Trixie’s mouth dropped open in shock.

“Uhh…” said Mayor Flax, in the moment of dead silence that followed.

. . .

Half a world away, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia of Equestria were seated in box seats at an opera house in the cultural center of the Griffin Kingdom’s capital city. They were there as special guests of the griffin ambassador to Equestria, viewing the most celebrated griffin opera.

They both hated it. Griffin opera was… an experience, shall we say?

But, they were both experienced diplomats, and knew that one did not simply refuse a gift from a trusted ally. So they sat, with grace, wearing masks of quiet delight.

“I hope Twilight is having more fun than we are at the Acorn Festival, dear sister,” Celestia muttered to Luna almost under her breath, thoughts of acorn pancakes dancing deliciously in her head.

“Oh, is she attending in your place this year? I admit I had wondered if she was going to go.”

A nearly-imperceptible look of confusion crossed Celestia’s features, replaced by a similarly-nearly-imperceptible look of anxiety. “What do you mean, ‘you had wondered?’ I asked you to send Mayor Flax a letter explaining the situation!”

Luna looked askance at Celestia briefly, quickly allowing her look of indignant surprise to pass. “No you did not, sister.”

Below them, the griffin diva screeched a piercing song that would make most ponies’ ears rupture from agony.

Celestia pursed her lips. “I’m pretty sure I did, Luna.”

“No. No you definitely did not.”

“Hmm. Are you sure? I thought for sure I did… Then, who told them to expect Twilight and not me?”

Luna barely-perceptibly shrugged.

. . .

Twilight smiled nervously. Twilight waved nervously. Twilight looked out at all the eyes looking back at her, some of them were still excited, but most were confused. A few were even annoyed. Well, this is awkward, she thought. She had thought Oakville would have been notified ahead of time that it was her, and not her mentor, who would be visiting for the festival. She must be such a disappointment to these ponies. Her smile grew strained at the thought.

Shaking himself from his stunned state, Flax smoothly transitioned into an “Er… Rather, Princess Twilight Sparkle! My mistake, terribly sorry everypony, how 'uncool' of me!”

And then Twilight’s eyes caught a glimpse of purple eyes, and a blue coat. She turned, cocking her head to the side. “Trixie?” was the first thing Princess Twilight Sparkle said at the Oakville Acorn Festival, which was a mistake on her part in so many ways.

Mayor Flax was already thrown off, but this threw him even further. “Oh, uh, you two know each other? I had no idea!” he sputtered, running a hoof through his increasingly frazzled mane.

. . .

You must be kidding me. Her? Her?! Here?! Where do I have to go to get away from this pony?! Trixie thought to herself with no small degree of agitation, as the mayor corrected himself.

And there before Trixie was indeed Twilight Sparkle again. Trixie had heard about Twilight’s ascent to princesshood, of course. Who in Equestria hadn’t? But actually seeing her one-time rival here, face to face, in full Princess regalia, with those… those wings. It definitely hit her pretty strongly. She had come to Oakville, the farthest, tiniest, most distant corner of Equestria, for a fresh start. To escape her troubled past. Yet here was her past anyway, stepping down off the train, wearing a tiara and those wings and that insufferably goofy smile. She found herself scowling involuntarily.

So perfect. Perfect life. Perfect friends. Perfect teacher. Perfect smile. Perfect! Trixie’s frown deepened. How many hours had Trixie practiced her tricks? How many hours had she spent in front of a mirror, trying to make herself presentable for her shows? How much effort had Trixie put into everything that she had done? And yet here was this oblivious, smiling bookworm, who was beautiful without trying, for whom magic came seemingly effortlessly, for whom everything seemed to go her way! And of course, now she had even become royalty!

It was all in the wings. Graceful, long wings. They were the physical embodiment of everything Twilight Sparkle was that Trixie wasn’t. It was an unspoken taunt. It was spit in her eye.

Her anger was familiar. She remembered it. It was how she had felt when she had first donned the awful Alicorn Amulet. It was that anger that had brought her to her lowest point. And it was that anger that she had run from, all the way to the edge of the world, way out here, where her past could never find her. And yet, here it was again.

Trixie pushed her anger aside. She was a different pony now. A better pony. She had once considered herself Twilight Sparkle’s equal, and Twilight’s new status was going to do nothing to dissuade her of that notion! Trixie straightened herself up proudly, and met Twilight’s eyes with her own confident gaze. Trixie had to tilt her face up slightly at Twilight Sparkle to do so. Huh. She’s taller now, too. Well, that figures.

Trixie replied. “Welcome to Oakville, Twilight- Princess Twilight Sparkle. It is… nice to see you again.”

Well, now her show for the princess was going to be even more awkward. Tonight, Trixie was going to have to give a magic show for Twilight Sparkle.

. . .

“Wait… what?” said Rainbow Dash from behind Twilight. “Trixie’s here?! Geez… what are the odds of…” she stopped when she flew out of the train and locked eyes almost immediately with Lightning Dust.

“Oh,” Rainbow Dash said, landing quietly, looking away.

The mayor’s strained smile threatened to break his teeth now. “You know each other too, Lightning Dust and, um…?”

“Rainbow Dash,” Lightning Dust finished for him, practically spitting the name.

. . .

Acting quickly, and salvaging the situation the way only Pinkie Pie could, the pink party pony leapt out of the train, produced a cannon from absolutely nowhere, and blasted a wave of confetti and streamers over the increasingly confused crowd.

HI!” said Pinkie.

Nopony responded.

“I SAID HI!” Pinkie tried again.

A stallion took a small step forward. “Uh… hi?”

Pinkie smiled and waved at him, “My name’s Pinkie, what’s your name?”

“Uh…” he looked around them nervously at the gathered crowd. He shyly indicated his cutie mark, a yellow circle, “Cheese Wheel.”

“Nice ta meetcha! I’m the Royal Party Advisor!"

"Royal... party advisor?"

Pinkie Pie produced a sheaf of papers and a pair of horn-rimmed glasses, placed the glasses on the end of her nose, and began reading, "I, the undersigned Princess Twilight Sparkle (the party of the first part), do decree the party pony Pinkie Pie (the party of the second part) is hereby proclaimed by the party of the first part, and the party of the first part's party of advisors to be the party of the first part's representative and counsel in matters party related (for details and definitions pertaining to the purview of this office, see Part E). The undersigned party of the second part, and any signatory party of the party of the second part, agree to this party pony position, to be referred to by the title of " Royal Party Advisor. Signed by the party of the first part Princess Twilight Sparkle, and the party of the second part Pinkie Pie."

Pinkie Pie looked up from the paper, and looked down her nose, over the horn-rimmed glasses with a serious expression on her face. The onlooking crowd was becoming increasingly confused, but Pinkie Pie had their full attention. She handed the document over to Cheese Wheel. "Submitted for your approval."

Cheese Wheel took the paper, read it briefly, then looked up, his eyebrow raised in confusion. "This... is a cake recipe."

"...And I hereby decree this Acorn Festival Party officially started!” she shouted, throwing one forehoof around Cheese Wheel’s shoulders, and throwing the other in the air.

The crowd threw their hooves in the air and cheered.

Applejack and Rarity shared a glance. If Pinkie Pie could help Twilight handle the crowd, then so could they. They exited the train, smiling diplomatically. Applejack started making the rounds on the food stalls: tasting, smiling, offering advice (“Could use some apples.”), and generally bein’ downright sociable-like. Rarity, for her part, wasted no time hobnobbing, complimenting dresses, discussing fabrics, gossiping… basically being Rarity.

And the Acorn Festival was back on track.

. . .

“Of all of the towns in the world, Trixie had to be here. I do not wish to see her, Fluttershy my dear. I do not trust myself not to be furious, our past recently has been injurious,” Zecora said to Fluttershy, looking out the train window.

The last time they’d seen each other had involved Trixie drinking a potion containing Twilight’s infamous want-it-need-it spell, and Zecora had… not reacted well. Okay, well, in fact she had tackled Trixie, declared her desire for the showmare, and licked Trixie’s face, then pursued her across Ponyville, and nearly wound up strangling Twilight Sparkle, who she saw as a rival for Trixie's affections. Maybe to say that she had "not reacted well" was putting it mildly. She was still haunted by the embarrassment from that night.

Fluttershy nodded sadly. “You know you have to forgive her eventually, right, Zecora? I hope this doesn’t keep eating away at you forever.”

“I do know this, my friend, and I wish I could. But I can’t just let go of my anger, though I know I should.”

Fluttershy decided to change the subject. “Thank goodness those three are so good with crowds,” said Fluttershy to Zecora, looking out the window.

Zecora nodded in agreement with Fluttershy’s statement. "Fluttershy, it is true, Twilight is lucky to have the five of you."

Fluttershy gave a small frown. "But what about you, Zecora? You're our friend too!"

Zecora gave a small laugh. "Thank you my dear. I’m not used to friendship yet, I fear. I’m grateful you all feel this way, I just wasn’t sure it was my place to say. I’m glad to have you as my friend, rest assured I am loyal to the end.”

Fluttershy smiled at Zecora, then turned back to the window. “Do you think Twilight will be okay out there? I mean, Trixie’s here and all. And Lightning Dust too… do you think Rainbow Dash will be okay?”

“The kindness in your heart is too big for just you, but don’t worry, my dear, they will pull through.”

Fluttershy smiled again. Turning to Zecora, she said, “Would you like to go visit the squirrels with me? Maybe we can see them before the squirrel parade starts!”

“I would be a delight for me to, visit the forest rodents with you.”

And the two quietly left via the back of the train, away from the hubbub of the crowd, and away from Trixie and Lightning Dust.

. . .

Twilight was eternally grateful for Pinkie, Applejack, and Rarity’s help in getting the crowd distracted. She had been steaming down the Mess-This-Up Railroad at a breakneck speed, to put it metaphorically. How could things have gone so janky so quickly!?

Twilight saw Trixie frowning at her, and, being Twilight, interpreted it incorrectly.

“I’m sorry for causing a bit of a scene, Trixie, I didn’t mean to single you out of the crowd,” Twilight said, smiling disarmingly, once the rest of the ponies seemed sufficiently distracted not to make much gossip of it.

“Trixie does stand out from a crowd, Twilight Spa- ...princess. It is hardly either of our faults that you were so dazzled by Trixie’s presence. It is to be expected, really,” said the showmare haughtily.

Twilight resisted the urge to roll her eyes. That would have just been un-princess-like.

“So… uh... how do you two know each other?” asked Mayor Flax.

Trixie froze. She had made so much progress here. If the mayor knew what she’d done in her past, if the ponies here learned who she was was… then her fresh start would be over and ruined before it had even had a chance to begin! They would all turn on her like every other place she had travelled! With a jolt through her heart, she realized that her entire future could hinge on the answer to an off-handed question. An answer made by her one-time arch-nemesis. A drop of sweat rolled down her forehead.

Twilight opened her mouth to answer, but then seemed to rethink her answer before she even spoke it. Her eyes met Trixie’s own nervous ones, and her eyebrows rose in sudden realization. She said, “Oh, she visited me in Ponyville occasionally. We’re old friends, she and I,” Twilight said to the mayor, smiling.

“Wow! 'Cool beans!' I had no idea you knew royalty!” said the mayor excitedly, looking at Trixie.

Trixie almost shivered. She felt like her own ghost had just passed through her. Twilight Sparkle, of all ponies, had just covered for her, of all ponies. She let out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding, “Yes, well, Trixie does know many important ponies. Trixie did not wish to brag.”

. . .

“Hey, LD. How have you been?” said Rainbow Dash, apprehensively.

“Fine,” bit back Lightning Dust, tersely.

“Yeah.”

Awkward silence prevailed for a few moments.

“So… hey. About Wonderbolt Academy… I just wanted to say...” Rainbow began.

Lightning Dust took off with a whoosh, buffeting the princess and the mayor’s greeting party with a slight wind, and leaving a lightning-yellow scar across the sky in her wake, until it disappeared among the leaves.

“What the- my gosh! Princess, I am so sorry! I don’t know what’s gotten into her!” said Mayor Flax, aghast at the behavior of his Weather Patrol Captain in front of their royal guests.

“I do,” said Rainbow quietly, her expression unreadable.

“It’s alright, mayor. No harm done,” Twilight said reassuringly, shooting Rainbow a concerned look.

. . .

THE NERVE. THE NERVE OF HER. TO BRING THAT UP IN PUBLIC? HERE, IN MY TOWN? Lightning Dust raged, imagining Rainbow Dash laughing at her even now. Her face was fixed in a snarl as she flew away, in no particular direction. Just… away, punching holes through clouds as she went and imagining rainbow colors on them.

. . .

“Are you okay, Rainbow?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine, no problem.” Rainbow said, guardedly.

“What happened at Wonderbolt Academy wasn’t your fault, you know. Lightning Dust is just going to have to learn that there are consequences to every bad decision.”

“Yeah, I know...” Rainbow wandered off into the crowd, her head down.

Trixie looked back and forth between the where Lightning Dust had stood and Twilight Sparkle. It would seem that the weather captain had a bit of a history with Twilight's friends as well. For once, she found herself siding with Team Sparkle. After what Lightning Dust had done to her tent, her clothes, and her stage, she did not find it surprising to discover that the pegasus had a troublemaking past. She was, in Trixie's opinion, kind of awful.

"Well, princess, I am so sorry about that again, but I hope you'll enjoy the little tour and some of the festivities with my little greeting party and I!"

Spend the rest of the day with Twilight Sparkle... no, I don't think so, Trixie thought.

“Well, if you will excuse Trixie, it is time to prepare for the magic show tonight,” she said, leaving rather more quickly than needed.

“Oh, alright. Um… I’m looking forward to it, Trixie!” Twilight called after her, assuming an artificially cheerful tone. Well, looks like I can add Trixie to the list of ponies I’ve disappointed today… so that just brings it up to… oh. The entire town, she thought sadly. For once, she actually was looking forward to Trixie’s magic show. It might distract everypony from the mess she had made of things.

Giving a quick, well-disguised sigh, Twilight put her smile back on and continued talking to the mayor, as they and the other remaining members of the greeting party walked off into Oakville and the heart of the festival.

. . .

Applejack smiled down at a filly with a table full of acorn cakes. She smiled back, offering Applejack a cake to try. She reminded Applejack strongly of her little sister Apple Bloom back home, and the thought made her smile a little wider. The orange mare offered polite “Thanks,” and took a bite, closing her eyes. Not bad at all, really! It tasted surprisingly like gingerbread, though very crumbly. Still, Applejack could not help but ponder… what about a sliced apple topping, sprinkled with powdered sugar? As she opened her eyes to suggest the idea to the filly, she caught a glimpse of a familiar combination of colors out of the corner of her eye. Was that…? It couldn’t be. She swore she’d seen red and white and tan and blue. In fact, she could swear she’d heard the phrase “Brother o’ mine,” as well! But, when she turned to look, she just saw more of the crowd. She shook her head. Probably her imagination.

“Applejack? You look a bit like you’ve seen a ghost, dear!” Rarity said, approaching them.

“Thought fer a minute Ah saw… aw never mind, prob’ly just imagined it.”

. . .

“Did those mares look familiar, Flim?” asked Flam, as the two wandered away from the busy marketplace. Flim had a burlap sack thrown over one shoulder.

“Hmm…? No, not really, can’t say I can place them, brother o’ mine.”

“Didn’t we run into them in Ponyville? Tried to swindle a farm out of the orange one?”

“If I kept track of everypony we tried to swindle, I would know every pony in Equestria, Flam.”

“Right, well, anyway, looks like there are a lot of rubes out today. We should be able to swindle the rest of what we need, eh, brother?”

Flim laughed, “Somepony out there has the parts, and we have the swindle! We need only meet!”

Flam laughed along with him. “I suppose we’d better get what we need quick, and make ourselves scarce before they actually open that keg of cider, eh, brother o’ mine?”

“Right you are, Flam, right you are!"