• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 5,157 Views, 169 Comments

Love Me... I Mean, If You're Ok With Me - elmago02



What happens when the bearer of the Element of Generosity finds a mare sleeping outside her home?

  • ...
10
 169
 5,157

Mistake.

“Rarity?” Fluttershy called, but Rarity did not look at her.

The other four ponies in the room stopped what they were doing and focused their attention in the now awoken unicorn. They observed as Rarity bend down and grabbed something from below the bed. They kept quiet as Rarity brought the object close to her chest, one tear tracing down her cheek.

Five mares remained silent, all thinking in the same thing. What had Rarity seen? They just stood silently, watching the white unicorn cry.

“R-Rarity?” Fluttershy called again. “What… what did you see?”

“Isn't it obvious?!” Rainbow flew to the bed and hovered over it as she spoke. “She obviously saw a life of ponies being deceived by that changeling.”

Rarity’s ears pressed against her skull, “no…” She whispered.

“That thing, how much damage had it caused.” Rainbow got louder.

“No, Rainbow-”

“That thing thought it could just come into town and do whatever it pleased with us. But I will show it that that was the biggest mistake of its life. That monster should just-”

“RAINBOW DASH, STOP!!!” Rarity shouted. “Don’t call her that… *sob* Please… Don’t call her that… *sob* She’s not a monster… *sob* She isn’t…” Rarity begged Rainbow as tears ran free. The pegasus’ wings had stopped in their tracks, causing the pegasus to land on the bed. Rainbow could only look at Rarity, her rosy eyes locking with the blue, teary eyes.

Rarity broke the eye contact and looked down at the object between her hooves. She mumbled something as she slowly, and with all the care of the world, lowered the object to the floor.

“Rarity.” The unicorn looked at Twilight. The lavender pony was stunned momentarily when she got to see such a mix of worry and pain in her friend’s face. Rarity ran out of the room before anything else could be said or done.

“Rarity!” Twilight stood to chase after her friend, but one step later, she was back on the floor. Fluttershy was quickly next to Twilight with a worried look on her face. “I’m fine, it’s just that I’m exhausted after using that spell.”

“Twilight, what the hay did that spell do to Rarity?” Applejack, who had been stunned by Rarity’s sudden outburst at Rainbow Dash, asked. “What did it do to her?”

“The spell shouldn’t have had any effect on Rarity, so it’s not what the spell did to her. It’s what it showed her.” Twilight looked down for a moment. “That expression on Rarity’s face… I’m worried of what she saw. This could be bad.” She looked up at the orange, the pink and the cyan ponies. “Girls, go look for Rarity. We need to know what she saw so we can think of what to do next.”

Applejack nodded and ran out. Pinkie went after her, but a few seconds later, she returned and threw Rainbow Dash, who had been stunned after Rarity’s outburst at her, on her back. Pinkie then bounced out of the room.

Twilight kept thinking of that look on Rarity’s face. “I don’t understand, Her expression… It must have been caused by what she saw of the changeling, so why did she yell at Rainbow Dash and defend it?”

“Twilight,” Fluttershy tightened her hold over her marefriend. “I… I didn’t see that expression, but I saw the one Rarity had after she woke up. The one she had while holding that.” Fluttershy pointed at the little statuette that Rarity had gently left behind. “She looked… happy… relieved.”

“What? Happy of what?” Twilight looked incredulous at Fluttershy.

“Well, I’m not completely sure, but-” Fluttershy stood up and quickly moved to grab the statuette then moved back to Twilight’s side. “-We can say that the spell worked and that Rarity saw this changeling’s memories. So the, ummm, little fang thingy that was inside the small box is something important to, ummm, Alice.” She placed the little statuette right in front of Twilight so she could observe it. “This was also inside the box.”

Twilight just looked at the little version of her unicorn friend. “Fluttershy… are you trying to say…”

Fluttershy leaned closer to Twilight and said: “What if-”


Rarity dashed through the town for the second time that day. Behind her, she left a trail of dust, confused ponies and tears. According to her friends, they had taken Alice to the Jail below the Town’s Hall. She had to get there fast. She had to see Alice. She had to make things right. She had to...

“Rarity, stop!”

Rarity didn’t had to look back. She recognized the voice as it carried a quite familiar country accent. Applejack was chasing after her.

“Consarn it, Rarity, stop! What did you see?!” Applejack shouted again, but Rarity didn’t show signs of slowing down. Time to change the strategy. Applejack accelerated and it was no surprise that she started quickly gaining on Rarity. Just a little closer and…

With a final burst of speed, Applejack tackled Rarity to the ground, both of them rolling down the street. When the tumbling stopped, Applejack had Rarity pinned to the ground.

“Let me go, Applejack! I have to go!” Rarity struggled under Applejack’s hoof.

“Rarity, What’s gotten into you? Where are you goin’? Why did you snap at Dash like that?”

“Let me go, Applejack!”

“Damnit, Rarity! Calm the buck down! Just tell me and Ah’ll let you go!”

“I… I have to *sob*…” Rarity stopped struggling and looked at Applejack right in the eyes. “I have to see her…*sob*”

“Her? You mean the changelin’?” Applejack looked Rarity shake below her, tears tracing her cheeks. “Why? Rarity, what did you see?”

“Applejack… We were wrong… *sob* and I… I did something horrible to her.”

“What?! You?! But she’s that thin’ is the one that has bein’ deceivin’ us!”

Rarity shook her head violently, not caring how much she was ruining her manestyle. “NO! She didn’t. *sob* You know nothing!”

“Then tell me! What did you see with that spell?!” Silence followed Applejack’s shout. One of the ponies waiting for the other to move and let her go, but that wouldn’t happen.

“Applejack… Alice isn’t bad. She… she may be a changeling, but she would never willingly hurt anypony.” Rarity took a deep breath that helped her continue. “She wasn’t deceiving us, Applejack. She never lied. She didn’t come here to steal love. I was happy when I woke up, because I had seen the truth.”

“Applejack… She loves me… I saw it… She loves me!” A shy smile formed on Rarity’s mouth. “The time we spent together… It wasn’t a lie… it wasn’t an act… it was as real for her as it was for me…”

“She has been living alone for almost her entire life. She kept her distance from other ponies… She tried to keep her distance from me. She did so to avoid getting discovered… to avoid getting hurt...”

Speaking was becoming harder for Rarity with each word. “Applejack… this week… She slowly allowed me into her heart… She was happy… And I screwed it up…”

“Applejack… I didn’t give her a chance to explain herself… When I saw her on the ground… her cream coat replaced by that black chitin… I just thought the worst, and I felt my world collapse… but it was her world that collapsed…”

“I called her a monster… Applejack, she trusted me… she loved me… And I made real her biggest fear…”

“I have to see her, Applejack. So please… let me go… I have to fix this... She… She isn’t bad...”

Applejack was taking her time to fully understand what Rarity had just told her. With her eyes locked on Rarity’s, she asked one last thing. “You sure?”

“... Absolute- Whoa!!” Rarity was suddenly pulled up and placed on Applejack’s back by Pinkie Pie, who had apparently just arrived.

“Then what are we waiting for? We have to go get Rarity’s marefriend out of jail.” Pinkie led the way, bouncing in the direction of the Town’s Hall.

Applejack was confused. “Pinkie? Did you heard everything Rarity just said?” Applejack asked as she followed Pinkie.

“Nope. I only heard Rarity saying: “Absolute-”, but that was all I needed to understand the rest.”

“How the heck can you understand the rest with just-”

“No time for questions!” Pinkie looked back, mysteriously managing to avoid any obstacle in her way. “Hurry up Rainbow Dash!”

“Rainbow?” Rarity looked back to see her cyan friend flying towards them. As Rainbow got closer, Rarity managed to see that the primastic pegasus was completely soaked. “Why is Rainbow Dash-”

“I said that there no time for questions!”

“PINKIE!!” Rainbow shouted. “Why did you throw me in the well?!”

“Do you ponies don’t understand equestrian? I said that there is no time for questions!”

The group moved fast, and soon reached the entrance to the Town’s Hall. Pinkie turned to look at the others.

“Now listen. I have the perfect plan to break Alice out from jail. First, I will need my chicken costume from nightmare night. Applejack, I need you to bring a few empty barrels from your farm. Rainbow Dash, I need you to pull a Sonic Rainboom at the exact moment I say. Now, I will distract them with the “Peanut Butter Jelly Time” dance until Rainbow Dash-”

“Pinkie!” Applejack interrupted as Rarity got down from her back. Applejack looked at Rarity, and thought of what she had been told a moment ago. “We just have’ta explain that everything is a big misunderstanding. Once the guards know that Alice ain’t bad they’ll set her free lickity-split.”

“Wait, what? That changeling isn’t bad?” Rainbow Dash and Pinkie asked at the same time.

“Pinkie! Ah thought you said you underst- Agh! For Celestia’s sake! Just forget it, we’ll catch you up later. Right now we just have to fix this mistake.”

Rainbow Dash blocked the door before Applejack could enter the Town’s Hall. “Wait! Are we really letting that changeling free?! Just like that?”

“Rainbow, Ah will…. well Ah don’t really know the whole thing, but Rarity will explain it all later. For now, let’s just do this!” Applejack pushed Rainbow out from the way and opened the door, letting Rarity enter first. The group of four ponies moved to the stairs that led to the underground jail, where they met the three royal guards that were standing guard.

Applejack got close to Rarity. “Hey, sugarcube, you go and talk to Alice. Ah guess you need some time alone to sort things. Ah’ll explain things to the guards so they let her go. Okay?”

Rarity simply nodded. She just walked to the door that led to the five cells. One of the guards let Rarity pass, as he recognized her as Princess Twilight’s close friend.

“All of you pay attention. Ah don’t know the whole story, but Ah know one thi-” Applejack speech was muffled by the door that closed behind Rarity.

Rarity was nervous. What was she going to say exactly? Well, first thing first, she was going to apologize, but… Would Alice forgive her? Rarity was completely sure that she loved Alice even more after seeing her past, but would Alice still love her? Even after what she had done?

These questions clouded Rarity’ mind as she walked closer to the only occupied cell. She remembered Alice’s face when she had called her a monster. The expression there… Now that Rarity knew everything, she realized how much sorrow had filled those blue eyes after that single word had left her own mouth…

Rarity took a deep breath and looked at the black figure that lay on the ground. There she was, Alice the changeling, but Rarity no longer cared about how she looked. Inside, Alice was the pony she had fallen for.

“... Alice…”


“Are you feeling okay now?” Fluttershy asked as she helped Twilight walk through the street.

“Yes, Fluttershy, I’m still a bit tired, but I can handle it.”

“Alright… if you say so.” They had just left the boutique, and were currently looking for the others. They had no idea where Rarity had run off to, so Twilight’s best guess was to first look at the Town’s Hall.

As they got closer, they spotted one of the royal guards standing just out of the Town’s Hall. He also spotted the two mares approaching him, and immediately ran to meet them.

“Princess Twilight, Lady Fluttershy.” He said with a bow.

“Ummm, please, just call me Fluttershy… I mean, if that’s okay with you.”

“Please, stand.” Twilight said and the guard obeyed. “Why are you standing out here? Shouldn’t you be watching after the changeling?”

“Princess, the changeling isn’t here anymore. it-”

“W-What?! Did the it escape?! Shouldn’t you be looking for it instead of standing there?! We have to move right now and alert the citizens-”

“Princess, please, ummm, sorry for interrupting, but let me explain.” The guard said and waited for Twilight to calm down before continuing. “Your friends arrived here some time ago. The farmer, Applejack I believe, was telling us about this spell you cast on your other friend that likes fashion, Rarity, and that we had to let the changeling go because-”

“What?! Why did she said that? You let it go?!”

“No, Princess. We were arguing about that and that we required your direct order to let the prisoner go. Meanwhile, Rarity had entered to speak with the changeling. A few seconds after that, we heard your friend asking for help and-”

“Did the changeling do something to Rarity?”

The guard was getting annoyed with all this interruptions. “No, Princess. The thing is, when we entered to see what was happening, we saw nothing out of place. The changeling was in the cell and Rarity was fine, but she was mumbling something about helping the changeling. We opened the cell to examine the changeling… We don’t know much about a changeling’s anatomy, but we couldn’t feel it’s heartbeat. Princess, the changeling was taken to Ponyville’s hospital. I stayed here to inform you in case you came over here.”

“What?!”

“Oh no!” Fluttershy exclaimed with a hoof covering her mouth. “The girls must be at the hospital then. We have to go there.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, you are right. I can teleport us there.”

“But Twilight, you are still tired from the spell you casted earlier.” Fluttershy said worried.

“Don’t worry, the hospital isn’t that far.” Twilight looked at the guard. “But I only have enough magic to teleport two ponies.”

“It’s okay, Princess. I will remain here.”

“Right.” Twilight nodded while wrapping one wing over her marefriend. “Hold tight, Fluttershy.” Fluttershy wrapped her hooves tightly around Twilight’s barrel. “Ugh, not that tight.”

“Ummm, sorry.”

Twilight smiled at Fluttershy. “No problem.” Her horn brightened and both ponies disappeared.


Twilight and Fluttershy reappeared right in front of Ponyville’s hospital, were a second guard was waiting for them.

“Princess Twilight, Lady Flut-”

Twilight interrupted him by lifting one hoof. “Leave that for later.” Twilight sat on the ground for a few seconds to rest. A few seconds later, she stood and walked towards the hospital entrance. “Where is the changeling?”

“Right. The changeling is in room 412 on the fourth floor. Your friends are there waiting for you.”

Just as Fluttershy had said. Twilight thanked the guard and walked quickly through the hospital’s hall, Fluttershy close behind her. They reached the elevator and pushed the button with the number four. The doors closed, and about fifteen seconds later, they opened again. They moved down the hall, spotting three of their friends and the last royal guard.

“Girls. What is-” Twilight got tackled to the ground by Rainbow Dash.

“Twilight! That spell you cast, is it possible to tamper with what it shows you? Is it possible that Rarity saw another lie from that changeling?!”

“Rainbow Dash, what the-”

“Just answer me!”

Twilight frowned. “I, uhhhh, no, there’s no chance of that. This spell is too complicated and invasive for anypony but a princess to use. Even if a normal unicorn had enough power, the Princesses would never teach it to them because it completely violates a pony’s privacy; you see all of their memories from the very beginning, no matter how deeply buried.”

“Damn.” Rainbow got off from Twilight. “Damn, damn, damn!” The pegasus bucked the wall.

“Rainbow, what has gotten into you?”

“She just heard the truth, sugarcube.” Applejack helped Twilight get on her hooves. “After we got here, Rarity told us what she saw.”

“... And what was it? Where is she now?”

“Well, Rarity is inside there with Alice. She hasn’t left her side since we got here. And about what she told us~” Applejack told a short version of what Rarity had told them to Twilight and Fluttershy, and they listened cautiously.

Twilight let everything sink in. Alice had been banished from the hive for not wanting to steal love. She had created the pony named Alice, and not supplanted a pony that had gone missing a year ago during the invasion. Alice also had nothing to do with the invasion. She had arrived to Ponyville by mere chance, and not to steal Twilight’s love. She even told about derpy’s incident, that it had all been an accident.

Twilight, right now, felt like she wanted to help Applejack buck some trees, but using her head instead of her hind legs. Twilight gave a look at Rainbow who was sitting in a corner, Pinkie trying, but failing, to cheer her up. She was taking this bad. All of the ponies here had wronged an innocent, but Rainbow Dash had been the worst of them. She had threatened and even hurt the changeling who had done no wrong to deserve it.

Applejack then told what had happened after they got to the hospital.

A doctor had just examined Alice, but he had no idea of what was wrong. She didn’t seem to have any physical injuries. She also didn’t seem to be affected by any kind of spell. The doctor had no idea what to do. He had never even seen a changeling before, and much less had any idea of how a changeling body worked.

“Alice is currently unconscious. The most the doctor could do was say that Alice didn’t seemed to be in any kind of danger right now, but she seems to be slowly weakening. If we don’t find out what’s happening to her in a couple of days… she...”

“Oh no, poor Alice. How is Rarity taking this? She must be feeling horrible…”

“Yeah, we decided to leave her alone, but if you want, you can go inside.” Applejack turned to Twilight who seemed to be deep in thought. “Maybe you would know what’s wrong with Alice.”

“No…” Twilight said simply. “I have not the slightest idea of what’s going on with her. I mean, I’m still processing that this changeling is actually good, and that we were the ones that caused this situation.” Twilight sighed. “I… I have to research first. I don’t have much information about changelings, but there’s a bit of documentation back in the library that I gathered after the invasion. I haven’t read it yet, maybe~” Twilight’s voice faded out as she walked.

“Ummm, tell us if something happens. I’ll go help Twilight,” with that, Fluttershy chased after her marefriend.

“Ah sure hope you find something…” Applejack sighed and sat in one of the chairs placed in front of room 412.


The sun had long settled at the distance. The white room of the hospital was in complete darkness. The only sound that could be heard were the whimpers of an alabaster unicorn. The unicorn was sitting right next to the hospital bed, looking at the occupant of the bed with teary eyes.

“I’m sorry, Alice. I’m so sorry... I’m sorry…” Rarity said time after time. She had one of her white hooves over a black one, the other slowly caressed Alice mane. “I’m sorry… please, forgive me…” It was turning quite the feat for Rarity to keep her eyes open. She blinked once… She blinked Twice… Her head lowered until it touched the hospital bed... Everything turned black.

A noise pulled Rarity out from her dreamless sleep. How much time had passed? It must have been morning already, as a few rays of light covered the room. Rarity yawned and re-accommodated her head on the bed, but something wasn’t right… Something was missing…

Rarity lifted her head, now completely awake, and looked at the hospital bed. Alice wasn’t there. Rarity started to panic. Where was Alice? What had happened? This questions crossed her mind until a second noise caught her attention. Rarity turned her head in the direction of the window. Her heart stopped, and her mouth dried.

A black figure stood right next to the window. Rarity’s locked immediately with the blue one’s of Alice. Her jaw opened and closed a few times, and finally, a few words came out.

“... Alice…”

The changeling turned around and jumped out the window.

Author's Note:

The end is near.