• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 8,553 Views, 609 Comments

The Chaotic Touch of Harmony 2: Bonded by Fire - law abiding pony



Ponies are starting to take root in human society, bent on proving their worth to humanity. But will that secure their future as the Mion threat grows worse every day?

  • ...
28
 609
 8,553

A Solemn Day guest writer: Boldish42

My good friend Boldish42 wanted to write up a piece set shortly after the herd arrived in San Fransisco, so here it is. Hope you all enjoy it.

Despite the depressing day, the sun stubbornly continued to shine. The repairs to town were progressing slowly. Materials were hard to come by, and buildings that might have been saved, were being cannibalized to rebuild others. The damage evident for all to see, the losses they had suffered stayed fresh in everyone’s mind. Perhaps more so for what they had all gathered together for.

The vast majority of citizens were amassed in the park where a small stage was set up. Suits and dresses were worn by many, even ponies that rarely wore clothes brought their finest, others wore black bands. They had suffered loss before, but this was different. This was an attack, directed and focused at them, not just some random cloud.

And they stood strong.

Camera crews had finished setting up, microphones were in place, even cellphones and personal video cameras were set to capture Princess Alexia’s speech. Thousands of faces looked towards the silver princess flanked by her herd. She took her steps to the podium, and began to speak.

Crimson Anderson honestly didn’t hear any of it.

She had heard it before as Alexia bounced ideas off them, practicing another speech that would probably become famous. So she wasn’t too concerned with focusing on Alex’s words, well not the ones she was saying now at least.

I’m sorry Crimmy.. I’m so sorry…
If I had just been faster…
I couldn’t save him…

Crimson didn’t blame Alexia, she never could. But the pain was still there.

She had the herd to give her strength. She had Dusty to give her joy. She had Momma to share memories.

But there was still a hole filled with pain, right there in her heart.

She didn’t see him until it was over. Alex had told her what had happened, but she still didn’t see the transformation, and so it wasn’t until that moment that it became real for her. When she saw her father’s face grafted onto the red hulking abomination of a Mion, it all became real. Joseph Turner Anderson, the man she had looked up to and loved all her life, was dead. There he lay with a ruined spellblade lodged in his face. Alexia’s spellblade. No! Don’t think like that!

Her mind went back to the family reunion where her whole world changed. A human guy, terrified of an inexplicable tail, his biggest problem trying to come up with an excuse to explain why he wouldn’t go swimming. She twitched her tail remembering how it had saved her. She had cousins who weren’t so lucky, taken, a parasite shoved into them and twisted into blood colored demons. Was that supposed to be her fate? Had Fate extracted its toll for her escape? No, this wasn’t fate, this was conscious action, a sick destiny forced on the world. I’ll return it to them somehow. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they went into the ocean to spite me. I can’t help with Alex’s enchantments, I can't crew the submarines. I can't be the one to pull the trigger that ends the Herald’s demonic existence.

Epic revenge fantasies ran through Crimson’s head. They were comforting, irrational, and felt unpleasantly dark. Over a lifetime of living in the south you learn some bible verses; Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Anyone… the Koridost, the Herald, and the Mions aren’t people though, monsters don’t count as ‘anyone’.

Crimson’s eyes shifted from looking out at the crowd over to the side of the stage where Bella was holding onto Dusty. I will protect everyone I have left, and no Koridost monsters will stop me from making sure they’re safe.

You’re a Doctor in training not a crusading master warrior.

I’m plenty good in a fight.

You’re supposed to help people.

I can do that by killing all those monsters. Doctors can make weapons.

Or you can find a way to stop them from changing anyone else.

I want them to pay!

Is that what Paw would want?

… Paw wouldn’t want to be dead, he wouldn’t have wanted to be made a monster and forced to fight against his family.

He would have wanted to live in peace with his wife, daughter, and grandson. Letting all others live in peace too. Killing won’t bring peace, not really.

Her internal debate culminated at that thought. She wanted to fight that thought, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. It was what her father had taught her after all.

They won’t get away with this though. All this pain and suffering.

No they won’t, and I won’t let them destroy who I am.

Alex was about at the middle of her oration, encouraging everyone to keep the memory of those lost in their hearts, but to also let the healing begin. Or something along those lines anyway. Crimson felt a little guilty, Alex, her Alpha, was speaking about something relevant to her and she wasn’t listening. Well she could always follow the advice if not the speech.

So she thought about her Paw.

Instantly that red, sword filled face came to mind. She forced it away. That is not how I will remember you. The offensive image was banished from Crimson’s thoughts, replaced with the memory of Paw hugging her. The first memory was painful and bitter, this one made her ache, it took so much of her strength not to show the toll it was taking. Standing next to Conrad helped, Loki too. Wait wasn’t she on his other side?

She continued to hold onto that precious memory, that feeling total of acceptance. That moment when her father went from being a good man and transcended into an incredible man, who had earned every single speck of respect she had ever given him, and so much more that she would never be able to pay what he deserved.

Joseph Turner Anderson would never have the opportunity to be Dusty and the Girls’ wise grandpa, never pick him up from school to go out for ice cream behind her back, never tell him crazy made up stories that only a grandpa could get away with, never... He would never...

She reached to wipe her eyes. She had been crying, when did that start? Conrad’s wing rested across her back, squeezing her softly, Loki pressed up against her side leaning heavily into her.

She kept repeating his name in her head, as if she were afraid of forgetting. Joseph Turner Anderson taught her to fish. Joseph Turner Anderson taught her to ride a bike. Joseph Turner Anderson pushed her to be better and better, to make something of herself. Joseph Turner Anderson, Her Paw, was dead.

But worse than that, he might not be gone. That terrible thought came to her. The Herald brought Menville back, what if he brought Joe back to torture them some more, to torture him more? What if her Paw wasn’t able to rest?

That thought almost broke her, the sorrow she felt washing through her at the future they missed together, was replaced with anguish over the question.

Her response was nearly automatic, another habit to dealing with life that her parents had taught her together.

Hello, umm, God. It’s me, Crimson. Uh, that is to say Michael… You know who I am. I’m sorry I haven’t talked to you in a while. I’ve been pretty busy, what with being a pony secret agent mother and all… I just haven’t thought much about you lately have I? I was never too busy to do this, I just… I’m not sure what to think or believe anymore. There’s aliens, magic, magic alien ponies, and whatever Alexia is… Is our understanding incomplete? Or… Do you exist at all? I choose to believe in you, and I’m sorry that the first time I call on you in so long, all I can do is ask your favor. Please. Please help my father. Please let Paw be at peace. I’m so scared that he might not be, that they all may not be. Please help us to find peace too. Amen.

Somewhat calmed, Crimson looked to her Alpha. Her prayer to God really started as a reflex, but she kept going, because Joe was human. Reed was devout, borderline fanatical, and she didn’t agree with all he said. However, she did believe that for ponies the Alicorns were held in the place of God. Alexia knew her views, and while frustrated, respected them, and so Crimson respected her wishes to not be prayed to. Usually this was no problem, but today brought about a moment of weakness.

Alex, please give me strength, please help me to… What am I doing? I don’t need to pray to you Alex. You’re right there for me, whenever I need you. It’s not everyone that gets to talk directly to their God, but I do, whenever you or I wish.

A course of action settled for the future, Crimson was finally able to focus. Just in time for Alex to finish speaking.


Reed had hung on every word that came from his Goddess’ mouth. Her words of strength burning their way into his mind and camcorder. To be transcribed for religious text purposes later of course.

Her entreaty to the crowd to strengthen and support one another would make for fantastic scripture. As would accounts of her galloping straight to Trinity’s defence. Really, it had been a religious gold mine from the moment of her resurrection to now. It seemed like nothing could keep Reed’s spirits down for long lately, not even that Defiant Vigil pony.

No, not thinking about him, not going to think about him, not at all… Dammit. Reed just didn’t know what to think about that stallion, and while his Goddess’ sermon had occupied all his attention just a short while ago, Vigil began to creep into his thoughts.

It was just a few days ago that the pink unicorn with the blue and red mane had joined their congregation, but he was already well known. I’m Defiant Vigil, but you can just call me Vigil, or Mr. if you’re feeling formal. It was unusual for a blank flank to take a pony name, but given what the stallion apparently went through, certainly understandable. He was rescued from a Mion controlled pony camp by the Royal Herd, but was unfortunately the only survivor. After an initial medical screening and psych evaluation he had been asked by the Goddess to come to Trinity to find some peace. So he came, and even found The Congregation.

He was a passionate, humble sort with a definite air of mystery about him. Which made his observations and ideas seem all the more reasonable. It frustrated Reed, the aspects of The CoL and its chapel, the designs and services, all seemed to be criticized by Vigil. Perhaps worst of all, Reed kind of agreed with him, or at least couldn’t find much of an argument against him.

In retrospect, perhaps his plans were a bit... Ostentatious. Ok, the silver altar and scepter are maybe a bit much, but isn’t that the point? To glorify Alexia was the whole point of The CoL, but then Vigil countered. It could be argued that many churches tried that and ended up glorifying someone or something else, besides, why put this much effort into a building when our Goddess is just down the street?

That was not his only debate.

Aren’t we all under Alexia as her children? If so why do you call everybody ‘child’? Wouldn’t it be better to call each other brother and sister? That way you avoid accidentally insulting someone by implying they’re under you.

Doesn’t a collection plate seem… presumptuous? It feels like you’re demanding money and if they don’t give, then the ponies next to them that see may think negatively of them. Why not just anonymous donations, then ponies can practice generosity, and reflect the unassuming humility that Alexia displays. Keep everyone up to date with the finances and come up with projects involving the Virtues to remind them to donate and we should get by ok.

A less pious approach might draw more ponies in. Don’t shove the congregation in their faces, but be right there to see in plain view. Lead by example of the Virtues and let them come to you.

I heard that at the Ranch there were quite a few support groups for transformees, but they mostly dissolved when everypony left. Maybe we should start a few. Some ponies, myself included, still don’t have Cutie Marks yet. Starting a group to support one another would be nice. And we’ve got a few foals running around too, it might be nice for them to have a place to go to try to get their marks when they’re ready too.

Vigil had some solid points, and he was thinking of the future of the congregation too. There was just so much for Reed to do: write Holy scripture, reorganize The CoL, have dinner with the herd.

Good days were coming, he could just feel it.


Defiant Vigil had watched the Memorial from the back, Alex’s Alicorn magic still unnerved him a little and he liked to pretend that the distance muted its effect. It didn’t, but he liked the assurance that he could leave whenever. Listening to her, he marveled at how far she had come.

Much more confident than in DC, and it’s not just the magic either. How much longer until I’m really praying to you? You won’t force me, hell you don’t even want me to, that’s the whole reason I’m doing this for you. You saved more than just my life, so it seems only fair that I try to make yours a bit easier. I wonder though… where are you going take us?

The speech ended and the pony that had been Gregory Jake Menville walked off to live his new life.


Tina Star sat, strapped in a modified straight jacket, inside a magic proof cell. Her face filled with excitement and contentment.

“She was sooo beautiful. Those eyes, those viscous, pitiless, predatory eyes. That magic burning me with its touch! I can still feel it.” She closed her eyes in bliss, savoring the memory, when a piously poetic muse come over her.

“Oh my wonderful Goddess Alexia. Keeper of life, Taker of life, I see more now! I’ve felt more, crushed and burned in your holy embrace than I ever thought possible! I understand now, at first I thought you were weak, poisoned by your morality, but now I know. You have none of those trappings! A masterful camouflage to conceal your black glory amongst your prey! You stalk us and prepare to devour us, all while drawing us closer, allowing all us mortals to believe you are benevolent. Oh how I wish I could have been your first sacrifice. Someday, I will grant you sacrifices, perhaps I will die along the way and get to offer myself to you, or maybe you will grant me another chance, one final opportunity to remove your physical shell from your divine darkness. I will spread the true worship of you. In your name I pray Alexia, My Goddess of Life and Death. Amen.”

Tina Star could very well imagine her prayer feeding the beast that hid beneath the benevolent facade of Alexia Tune. More prayers meant more power...

“Oh Goddess of Life, hear my prayer…”

Author's Note:

Boldish42: I've really enjoyed this story so far, and really I wish it were more popular, then maybe there would be side fics of it. So finally I got sick of waiting and decided I'd try to help it get there. I asked if I could write a guest chapter and LAP was nice enough to let me try. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope to help fill in some more of the tale, or at least make some Non-Canon additions.