• Published 3rd Oct 2011
  • 4,772 Views, 89 Comments

Rainbow in the sky - Shiron



Rainbow Dash meets a pony who lives in the Everfree Forest. Is he a friend or an enemy?

  • ...
3
 89
 4,772

Chapter 4: A day at the beach

Chapter 4: A day at the beach


Being a member of the weather ponies wasn’t an easy job although most of the ponies didn’t realize it. For most citizens it was only natural that the sky was already prepared for the daily weather when the sun announced the beginning of a new day. Moreover, pushing fluffy and light clouds or bringing little rain clouds didn’t look difficult either to them. It seemed trivial and so most ponies didn’t even pay much attention to the sky and when they saw Rainbow Dash napping, they just thought the pegasus mare was being lazy again. The truth however, was the completely opposite.

Although the main weather for all of Equestria was planned by the weather factory in Cloudsdale, each country had to made their own plans of how to organize the weather of their country. Sunny days, a little storm and even rainbows had to be planned and organized by the captain of each country’s weather team. For Ponyville, this task was part of Rainbow Dash’s job. At the beginning of each week a new plan had to be made to organize the weather of the upcoming week and the tasks of the weather teams.

Since the weather ponies of Ponyville are usually divided in groups of five ponies with one leader, it was easier to send them to their fields of application. Ponyville and its adjoining areas were divided in many little areas, so each team of weather ponies could prepare the weather for their own area without interfere in the work of the other teams. Moreover, the teams were also divided in four different shifts, each one six hours long starting with the morning shift, that worked from midnight to 6Am, and ending with the night shift, that worked from 6PM to midnight. In other words, 24 hours the day, the weather was under the watchful eyes of the weather ponies. The only exception of this was Rainbow Dash herself.

Although she always organized the weather for Ponyville and its adjoining areas, she always had to inspect the work of her weather teams. It wasn’t rare that her day started one or two hours before the citizens of Ponyville awoke. While everypony else was still in a peaceful slumber, Rainbow Dash usually flew over Ponyville, inspected the work of the weather ponies and also helping them when they had problem with the weather or their schedule. So it was only natural that Rainbow was taking several naps every day although most ponies didn’t see all the hard work she did. However, today it was different and Rainbow Dash was still hugging her pillows while she dreamed heroic dreams of her being a member of the Wonderbolts.

Quietly, not to wake Rainbow Dash, Shiron sneaked out of their home. It hadn’t been easy but seeing all the hard work Rainbow Dash was always doing, Shiron had convinced her to sleep in while he would do the first inspection fly of the day. As soon as he left the cloud castle, Shiron took off and started the first inspection fly of the day. Although he was a member of the weather ponies for only two weeks, he had quickly learned the basic skills from Rainbow Dash who taught him everything he needed to know.

Of course he still was learning a lot about the weather and wasn't as skilled as the other weather ponies, but Rainbow Dash agreed to give Shiron a chance. However, he was only allowed to do the inspection fly when the planned weather wasn't complicated or when there were no events planned in Ponyville.

Today was just a sunny day so the weather teams didn’t have any problems with organizing the weather and, except of a misplaced rain cloud, the first of many inspection flies of the day was finished and so Shiron was able to fly to his new favorite spot around Ponyville.

The two weeks since he had left his cave and moved to Ponyville had been wonderful. It still was hard to believe that the big cloud castle, Shiron had seen during his race with Rainbow Dash, was actually her home. The cloud castle was huge and had everything a pony could ask for; two bedrooms with the most comfortable bed Shiron had ever seen, a guestroom, a big room with a flat-screen, a hi-fi system and some different games. The whole building was made of special clouds which won’t just disappear after some time and each of the cloud was enchanted so that solid items like the flat-screen wouldn’t just fall through the cloud. However, the spell wasn’t strong enough to keep earth ponies or unicorns from falling through the clouds.

When Shiron and Rainbow Dash had left the party two weeks ago, Rainbow had shown him her home and had even given him his own room. It was huge and although he had said that the smaller guest room would have been more than enough for him, Dash had somehow convinced him to accept the bigger room. During the last year, Shiron had only had what Zecora had given him or what he had found. He had eaten fruits and berries he had gathered and instead of a shower or bathtub, he had had lakes or waterfalls. Everything Rainbow Dash had offered him was a luxury he wasn’t used to.

Shiron had almost reached his favorite spot and it were only twenty more minutes until sunrise. Unlike other ponies, Shiron didn’t need a watch or something else to know how long it takes until sunrise or sunset. He couldn’t explain why but deep inside he felt how much time was left before the dawn of a new day or the beginning of the night. While he slowed down and prepared to land he thought back of the changes of the last two weeks.

The day after the welcome party Rainbow Dash had introduced him to the weather ponies of Ponyville. They had met at a place next to Ponyville’s main bridge and Dash had offered him a job as a member of the weather ponies. As their leader, Rainbow Dash knew her team and their abilities better than they knew themselves and after their race Rainbow Dash had quickly found the best job for Shiron’s flying skills. She was one of the best ponies to see the potential of other pegasi even if they didn’t know their own skills. Of course Shiron had accepted Rainbow Dash’s offer and for him it was a good way to thank her for everything she had done for him. Although Shiron had to convince her to accept it, Shiron even gave her some of his money for staying with her.

Quietly, Shiron landed and went on the top of the little hill. The sweet smell of apples filled the air and the stars still filled the sky for the remaining minutes of the night. Soon the sun would raise and a new day would begin. Even after living in Ponyville for two weeks now Shiron still got more attention than he hoped.

Although the citizens of Ponyville seemed to be nice, Shiron rarely walked through the streets because the look in their eyes still made feel him very uncomfortable. It wasn’t the looks of hate or fear he had seen in his home but the ponies looked at him like as if he was some kind of important pony. Shiron knew that it was because he was an alicorn and the only other alicorns, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, were the rulers of Equestria but he was just a normal pony and he didn’t like this kind of attention. He just wished that others would see him as a common pony and not someone special. Moreover, he knew all too well how admiration could quickly turn into fear and ultimately hate.

At least Rainbow Dash and her friends treated him like everypony else and although Shiron really liked them, he hadn’t spent much time with them after the party. During the party he had seen the farm ponies Applejack, who he had met earlier that day, together with her big brother Big Macintosh and Twilight Sparkle together with her dragon friend Spike. During the last two weeks he and Shiron had become good friends and Spike was really happy to finally have a stallion to talk to. Being the only male member of the pony gang of Rainbow Dash and her friends wasn’t very easy for the young dragon.

Shiron had also met the white unicorn Rarity who loved all kinds of fashion. The last member of Rainbow’s friends who had been able to join the party was the ever-happy, pink party pony Pinkie Pie. She was the most cheerful pony Shiron had ever seen and she knew how to though a big party. All of them had had a good time but although Shiron knew he should have been happy, he had felt nothing. Nevertheless, he was a master of hiding his true feeling, so he had forced a smile to act like he had actually been happy. All of the ponies had seemed to believe his forced smile but there had been something in Pinkie Pie’s eyes, almost as if she had known that something was wrong.

Shiron hadn’t had a chance to meet the pegasus pony Fluttershy during the party, so he and Rainbow Dash had visited her the following day. Fluttershy owned a cottage at the edge of the Everfree Forest and she took care of many animals. She was a very shy pony and being shy himself, the first conservation between him and Fluttershy had been more than just a bit awkward.

For the first minutes both ponies had been too shy, so that the conservation had been a disaster in Rainbow Dash’s eyes. Between short sentences about unimportant subjects like the weather, there had only been an awkward silence except of Rainbow Dash slamming her hooves against her face. It seemed that a simple facehoof wasn’t enough but thanks to Dash, the rest of the conservation had ended much better. At least a little bit.

The only pony Shiron saw every day was Pinkie Pie. Somehow she actually had been able to see behind his happy mask and it seemed as if she had taken over the responsibility to make him happy. She always appeared out of the nowhere, she was doing all kinds of silly but funny things and even when Shiron was flying there was no way to escape Pinkie. With her hoof made helicopter, stilts or a trampoline she could even find him when he was on a cloud. It doesn’t matter how fast Shiron was flying because Pinkie always waited at his hideout, even when Shiron thought he found the perfect hideout. However, there was something else he had realized.

The cheerful pink pony seemed as if she had a song for everything. No matter if it was a song for making cupcakes or a song for making her friends happy, Pinkie always had a song prepared. However, she wasn’t the only pony that loved to sing. All ponies of Ponyville seemed to have something to sing about and it wasn’t rare that some ponies joined in as a choir or background singer. Even the invincible orchestra seemed to be completely natural to them, not to mention that they knew the lyrics of every song even if they never heard the song before.

Shiron on the other hoof had nothing to sing about, nothing worth living for. He had finally learned what he was and he had even found some friends but the big change he had hoped for didn’t happen. His heart was as silent as if he had never left his cave but this time there wasn’t even hope left.

Shiron levitated the red ruby Celestia had given him before his eyes. He didn’t know what kind of magic the ruby and the necklace had but he felt something strange. The longer he looked at the ruby the more it seemed as if there was some sort of energy in it. It was hard to explain but Shiron felt that this ruby wasn’t an ordinary gemstone like all the others he had seen laying on the ground.

“What do you think? What shall I do?” he asked the magic ruby not expecting an answer. The ruby stayed silent just like expected and Shiron levitated it back into the necklace. The sound of the awaking animals started to fill the air and Shiron looked at the sky.

“Ah didn’t know ya are an early bird” a voice said suddenly behind Shiron. He quickly put on his usual face and turned his head to the source of the voice.

“Good morning Applejack” he said, remembering that he was at Sweet Apple Acres. “I hope you don’t mind me being here.”

“Of course not. Ah’m always happy to see a friendly face. Rainbow also comes here very often. She loves to nap on mah apple trees” Applejack happily responded.

The first time Applejack had caught Rainbow Dash sleeping on an apple tree, Applejack had accidently bucked not only apples from the tree but also her pegasus friend. Rainbow’s surprised and confused face had been priceless.

Applejack went closer to Shiron and sat down next to him. “Most of the ponies in Ponyville are still asleep this early but Ah’m not. Ah love to watch the sunrise and the sweet smell of apples in the mornin’” the farmpony said, taking a deep breath of the morning air. “What about you?”

“I was able to convince Rainbow Dash to sleep in while I handle the early inspection flies today” Shiron answered. “Usually this is one of Rainbow Dash’s tasks as the captain of the weather team. However, even a strong pony like her needs to recover from all the hard work and waking up earlier than anypony else.” With a chuckle he added “Not that Rainbow would ever admit that she is tired or exhaust.”

“That’s mighty nice of ya” Applejack said with a warm smile.

“It's the least I can do after everything she did for me” he responded before he turned his look back to the horizon.

Silence fell between the two ponies when the first rays of sunshine appeared. The dark of the night slowly changed into a beautiful morning sky and the nearly lake sparkled when the light of sun met the water while the sun let the morning dew in the meadow glitter like an ocean of diamonds. The first songs of the birds started to fill the air, just like the sweet smell of apples. Both ponies quietly watched the beautiful sunrise Princess Celestia had just given her subjects but when Applejack looked at Shiron she noticed that there was the hint of sadness in his look.

Applejack wasn’t sure if it was because of his amnesia or because of something else but she knew she had to cheer him up and Applejack knew one of the best ways. “Ya know, mah big brother went to Canterlot earlier this mornin’ to deliver some of our best apples and apple cider to the castle, so Ah’m all alone at the orchard today. Do ya think ya can help me a bit by bucking some apples? “.

Although Big Macintosh really was on his way to deliver apples and cider to Canterlot, Applejack didn’t really need help. Applebuck season was almost over and the remaining apples were the opal apples but bucking apples always helped her when she was sad and maybe it would have the same effect on Shiron. It was also a good way to talk and to come to know each other better.

“What is apple bucking? “ Shiron asked confused.

“Don’t worry, Ah show ya” Applejack said with a smile.

**********************************************************************************

With a powerful kick, the apples fall from the tree right into the baskets Applejack had placed under the apple tree. Her front legs crossed and with a satisfied smile, Applejack as standing next to the apple tree.

“…and that’s everything you need to know about apple bucking” she finished her explanation. “Now it’s your turn” she said to Shiron while she pointed at a nearby apple tree.

Slowly, Shiron walked toward the apple tree and went into position. He put his weight to his front legs before he kicked the tree with his hind legs, the apples began to shake a little but none of them fall. Shiron kicked the tree again and then a third time but the apples refused to fall.

“Yar kicks are strong but your hind legs aren’t in sync” Applejack said after Shiron’s third unsuccessful try. “Ya have to make sure that both for your hooves meet the tree at the same time” she explained.

Shiron nodded and prepared another kick. He concentrated and then unleashed another strong kick, this time Shiron made sure both hooves were in synch, which actually caused some apples to fall into the baskets below the tree. With a pat on the back, Applejack congratulated Shiron for his first successful apple buck. Some minutes later the two ponies continued to buck apples and although Shiron needed at least three bucks to harvest all apples from a tree, Applejack was happy to see that Shiron began to relax. There’s nothing better than bucking some apples to relax Applejack thought while she bucked another tree with one of her powerful kicks that causes all apples to fell into the baskets. Applejack decided that now was the best chance to find out what burdened her new friend.

“It has been two weeks since you moved to Ponyville.” Applejack said after some time of silent apple bucking. “How do you like our little village?”

“Ponyville really is a nice village” Shiron said, trying to sound as convincing as possible but with little success.

“That doesn’t sound very convincin’” she said with a raised an eyebrow. “If somethin’ had happened ya can tell me and Ah’ll help ya. Ah promise that ya can trust me”

“It’s nothing” … but the look Applejack gave him seems honest and somehow calming, almost like the first time he talked to Rainbow Dash. Maybe these ponies really are different than them, Shiron thought before he continued,“… well, most of the ponies in Ponyville are still giving me that odd look as if I’m something special or even related to Princess Celestia.”

"Hmm....." Applejack said to her herself "Ah think I might understand a grasp of how you feel Shiron. You see, these ponies need some time to realize that an alicorn lives in Ponyville now. For a very long time, there only had been one alicorn in Equestria and that was Celestia. She always was kind, understanding and the best ruler we could wish for. Princess Celestia was like a goddess to us ponies since she was the only known alicorn for a long time. Then, one year ago, Princess Luna appeared and we all learned that she was Celestia’s younger sister” Applejack said before she made a little break.

After all the work, the country pony thought that it would be nice to have a little drink together so that they can talk a bit more. Applejack leaded Shiron to bench next to Sweet Apple Acres biggest barn and after she brought some apple pie and something to drink for them, both ponies sat down before Applejack continued. “When the ponies saw that the second know alicorn also was a royal princess with godlike powers, they started to think that all alicorns must be royal ponies with this kind of magic. You’re also an alicorn, so it’s natural that the ponies think that you’re also a member of the royal family. After some time passes, most ponies will treat ya like all other ponies, so ya shouldn't worry that much "Applejack said with a convincing smile.

“Thank you” Shiron said. He really hoped that she was right and that the ponies would soon treat him like all the other ponies. However, there was still one thing Shiron didn’t understand. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, ask away” the farm pony said before she had a sip from her drink.

“Why do you, Rainbow and the others don’t treat me like the other ponies?” Shiron asked hesitantly.

“That’s easy, ya’re our friend and ya saved Rainbow Dash’s life, sugarcube.” For Applejack it was only natural that they treated Shiron like one of them.

“Thank you very much Applejack.”

“Ya’re very welcome” the country pony recommended happily. “Ah’m always happy to help mah friends. “

friends, Shiron thought. Are they really my friends? After everything that happened, he wasn’t sure if he could really trust these ponies and it was difficult to trust them after everything that happened during the last years. As much as he tried it, was still too difficult to trust anyone else, no matter how nice they were.

For some more time Shiron and Applejack just sat at Sweet Apple Acres and talked about different subjects like how Applejack and the other girls had met. After Shiron had left to make his second inspection fly, Applejack knew that she had to do something to make Shiron feel welcome. She was sure that her friends would know a good way, so she trotted to meet with Twilight.

**********************************************************************************

The sweet scent of fresh made pancakes woke up Rainbow Dash, who was peaceful lying in her comfortable bed. With only one eye open she checked her clock and almost fell out of her bed when she realized that it was already after 10Am. Ponyfeathers, I overslept, she thought while she was flying out of her warm bed. Why didn’t Shiron wake me…, still flying above her bed, Dash started to calm down when she remembered that Shiron had convinced her to sleep in while he was doing the inspection flies today.

With a yawn, she considered to go back to bed, watching the Wonderbolts movie last night had kept her awake long past midnight, but the sweet scent was too tempting. One of the pros of living in the sky was, that the wind always leaded the sweet scent of fresh made food and sweets from Sugar Cube Corner to Rainbow’s home. Pinkie Pie made the best breakfast and Rainbow was visiting her pink friend almost every morning.

It wasn’t like Dash couldn’t cook, in fact her mother had thought her everything about cooking and Dash also made the best and most awesome cookies in Equestria, but between her job as the captain of the weather team, saving Equestria from crazy villains and practicing for the Wonderbolts, Rainbow rarely had time for cooking. Of course she would never ever tell anypony that she knew how to cook and luckily Fluttershy, the only pony that knew almost everything about her, had pinkie promised to never tell anypony about the side of her ,that Rainbow had hid since the worst day of her life all those years ago.

Dash took some towels and flew toward her shower; there was nothing better than a good shower in the morning except of a hot bath. Warm water ran down her head and washed away her weariness when it ran down her body. After she was clean from any weariness and dirt, she grabbed her favorite shampoo. Dash wasn’t as focused on fashion or appearance as Rarity but Rainbow also used some beauty products. After all, she didn’t get her awesome look for nothing; her almost glittering mane and tail, which would make even the brightest rainbows made look colorless, and her sky blue coat had given her many fans, not to mention that a good shampoo made the rainbow trail she left behind looking even more awesome.

After she washed away the remaining shampoo, Rainbow dried herself off before she walked to her bathroom cabinet and looked at her mirror reflection. Satisfied with the awesome and beautiful mare she saw in the mirror, Rainbow Dash left her bathroom. She never understood how Rarity needed more than two hours to get ready for the day while she needed less than half an hour, except for special events like the birthdays of her best friends or the upcoming Winter Moon Festival. Although Rainbow would never confess it to anypony, she even owned a perfume which she had secretly bought on her last trip to Canterlot, a smell like a rare and mystic flower, but she only used it for the most important events. Despite everything that happened, she was a mare and sometimes it was nice to be treated like one.

Rainbow Dash left her bathroom and followed the resistless smell of fresh pancakes to her living room. To her surprise, the sweet scent wasn’t coming from Sugar Cube Corner today but from her own kitchen where Shiron had made breakfast.

“I didn’t know you can cook” Rainbow said when she entered the kitchen. Having a housemate really seemed to be one of the best ideas she ever had especially if the pancakes tasted as good as they smelled.

The kitchen of Rainbow Dash’s cloud house had everything a pony could ask for and with a table and some chairs it was also big enough for a little party with her best friends. Sure, having wingless friends made a slumber party more difficult but with a little egghead magic from Twilight, there weren’t any problems her unicorn friend couldn’t solve. Moreover, the enchanted clouds Rainbow’s home was made of also had enough magic inside to prevent all none-living objects to fall though the clouds, so Twilight only needed to use the cloud spell on herself and the rest of the gang.

“Good morning, Rainbow” Shiron greeted Dash when she entered the kitchen. “I can’t cook anything complicated but my mother taught me some things when I was younger”.

“Awesome, it seems your memories slowly return” Dash said with a smile. After she heard for the first time that Shiron lost his memories she hoped that he would remember about his past and she was happy to see that his memories slowly returned.

“Yes, it seems so” he said with a forced smile. As much as he hated to lie about his amnesia, Shiron was convinced that a lie was better than the truth, especially after he had almost lost the control when he was in Canterlot. Only Princess Celestia knew the truth and she had promised him to keep it a secret.

“I hope you didn’t have any problems with the inspection flies” Rainbow asked while taking a seat at the table. “It can be a very hard job sometimes” Dash added, trying to hide that she was worried that waking up that early might had been too much for Shiron since he wasn’t used to it.

“Today’s weather wasn’t that difficult, so there weren’t any real problems” Shiron said after he placed some pancakes on the well-laid table.

With these words Rainbow’s worries disappeared and both ponies started to eat their pancakes. While they were eating, the two ponies talked about many different subjects like pranks, Pinkie’s latest party or just the latest news of Ponyville. After some time, Rainbow noticed some big and boring looking books on the small table in the corner of the kitchen.

“Hey Shiron” Dash said with her mouth full, “what’s with these old books?”

“I borrowed them from Twilight some days ago” Shiron replied while using his magic to levitate some books closer to Rainbow Dash. While she was looking at the books she read titles like Welcome to Equestria – The guide to live in Equestria, Living as a true pony or Rules and History of Equestria. “Since I’m new in Equestria I thought it could help to read some guides”, he added after Rainbow was looking back at him.

Rainbow couldn’t hide a giggle. “Oh come on. That almost sounds as if you’re a star pony.” She put a hoof under her chin thought about her words for a moment before she shrugged “Nah, if you would be one then you would have said something like ‘Take me to your leader’.”

“That’s true” Shiron said but couldn’t resist to play along,” but you nevertheless brought me to your leader.”

Both ponies laughed at this and while Rainbow played the scared mare “Somepony help me” she laughed “a space pony tries to eat my brain.” After some more giggles she added “but hey, as long as you don't try to impregnate me with one of those little monsters that escape through the chest, I don't see a problem.”

When Shiron gave her a confused look Rainbow spoke with an unbelieving voice. “What?!? You don’t know the famous space pony movies with these aliens?”

“I don't think I ever saw them” Shiron answered.

“Then we should do something about that” Dash said smiling. “I have all the movies and even the special editions. I think we should make a movie night soon.” Grinning she added “I’m sure you’ll love these movies and once we finished them I already have some other movies in mind.”

“Sounds good, I guess” Shiron said not sure what to expect from the things Rainbow mentioned about the movies. After the two ponies finished their breakfast they put the used dishes into a rain cloud; even the dirtiest dishes looked like new after a little time in a rain cloud.

“I think it’s time for a little flying session” Rainbow said while stretching her wings. A good sleep, a hot shower and an awesome breakfast were the best way to start a new day. Only one thing was still missing to make this morning perfect; a fast flying session. Rainbow Dash looked back to Shiron and with a smile she said “Thanks for the awesome breakfast.” With a wink she added “next time I’ll prepare the breakfast”.

With that the cyan mare left the cloud house, a little flying session after a delicious breakfast was always good. With the day off, Dash hadn’t a real plan for today, usually she would be napping by now but since Shiron took care of the first inspection flies today, she didn’t need a nap anytime soon.

After half an hour of flying, Rainbow noticed that she was close to Twilight’s library, so she decided to visit her friend. Some minutes later she was standing in front of the door and after knocking the door opened. To Dash’s surprise, it wasn’t Twilight who opened the door but Applejack.

“Hi, AJ. What are you doing here?” Rainbow greeted her earth pony friend.

“Howdy Rainbow. Ah talked with Twilight about Shiron” Applejack answered. “Ah talked to him this mornin’ and he seemed a bit upset.” AJ continued, not trying to hide that she was a worried about the well being of her new friend. “So Ah thought Twilight might have any ideas to cheer him up”.

“Do you think I didn’t notice it?” Rainbow said with a sigh. “He’s trying to hide it but it’s not that hard to see behind his mask if you know him long enough.” Rainbow flew past Applejack and then landed onto Twilight’s couch. “Being alone for a whole year in a dark forest while thinking that other’s will see you as a monster is one of the saddest things I have ever heard and I think it’ll take much more time to show him that we really care for him and that he’s our friend.”

Rainbow let her head hung. She was used to hide her feelings when it came to her own life and except Fluttershy, none of her friends knew how she really felt. However, when it was about her friends, then Rainbow showed how she really felt and how much she cared about her friends. It broke her heart to see how Shiron tried to hide how he felt but sadly Dash didn’t know what to do. What they needed was an expert, someone who was able to make even the saddest ponies happy and there was only one pony that could do that.

Out of the nowhere Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared with her basket hat on. “Hi everypony” she said while looking at her three friends. Not waiting for her friends to respond she happily continued “I noticed that Shiron still isn’t as happy as he said he is, being alone for a year really would depress everypony, and since all my attempts to make him happy really failed I planned a super-duper-making-Shiron-happy-party.” With the big smile Pinkie gave the three ponies an invitation.

“Pinkie, you’re right” Twilight began “but we already had a party and it didn’t work.”

The pink party pony happily bounced up and down “Yep, and usually parties are better the more guests they have. However, this time I think Granny Pie’s idea is better ‘Sometimes a party with just the best friends is the best party’ so I’ll only invite you five, Spike and of course Shiron.”

Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Twilight looked at each other and then back to Pinkie Pie. They didn’t know if this idea would work but since none of them had a better idea, they agreed that it was worth a try. After all, Pinkie Pie was famous for making everypony happy and if Pinkie planned a party it usually was a success.

According to Pinkie’s invitation the party was at the beach of the Ponyville Lake at 4PM, so they still had enough time for planning the party and for inviting the missing guests. Rainbow prayed to Celestia and Luna that Pinkie’s plan would work because she hated to see a friend suffer without a way to help him. Dash wouldn’t give up until they would make him smile a real smile.

**********************************************************************************

Saying that Pinkie Pie was an expert at planning and throwing a party would have been understated. Not only that she somehow had been able to find a good place for a private party, which was almost impossible on a warm and sunny day like today, but with the help of her friends, she had also decorated the place in less than four hours. There were tables with all kinds of sweets like a cake, different drinks and juices, towels on the sand, some beach chairs and all kinds of games for every beach party.

It wasn’t difficult to get Rarity and Fluttershy to attend the party, most ponies enjoyed the sunny day and since Rarity only had two customers, she closed her shop earlier. Just like the ponies, Fluttershy’s animal friends were also enjoying the day and were either playing or napping. Since today’s weather wasn’t a problem, Rainbow Dash was able to convince Shiron that he should also take the rest of the day off, especially after all the work he had already done today.

While the two weather ponies were on their way to the party, Pinkie and the others made the last preparations. Fluttershy, Twilight and Spike had helped her to prepare the food and to transport it to the lake while Applejack and Rarity had prepared the games and the decoration. The most important task however was Rainbow Dash’s. She had to distract Shiron until everything was ready and then had to convince him to take the rest of the day off before bringing him to the Ponyville lake.

“I think everything is ready.” Twilight walked to the rest of her friends who nodded in agreement. “Don’t forget the plan. Officially this party was Pinkie’s idea to just to celebrate a beautiful day. If we really want to help Shiron feel happy and secure, then he has to think that his acted happiness worked.”

“Ah ya sure that’s the best way” Applejack asked Twilight. “Ah mean can't we just tell him the truth that we know that he’s faking his happiness?”

“No, if we would do that then, in the worst case, he might just isolate himself even more.” Twilight explained. She knew that it really could happen since she had been in a similar situation back in Canterlot. “Trust me, if we’re going by the plan then everything will be fine.”

“Here they come” Spike said when he saw the silhouettes of the two playing ponies slowly coming closer.

“Everypony knows what to do?” Pinkie asked. “Then let’s do this!” she happily said after everyone nodded.

**********************************************************************************

As soon as Rainbow Dash and Shiron had arrived, Pinkie had officially announced the beginning of the party and turned on the music. Pinkie’s parties always were the best and Shiron had already attended to her welcome party for him and her weekly party last week, but somehow this party was different although Shiron couldn’t explain why. Just like all the other parties, there were a lot of sweets and drinks, many games that were perfect for every beach party and of course all of Rainbow’s best friends were here. Although this party was private with only Rainbow’s best friends and him, this wasn’t the reason why this party felt different. It almost was as if this party had a deeper purpose Shiron didn’t know.

Two hours had passed since the beginning of the party. After some sweets and games with Pinkie and the others, Shiron was laying on one of the towels for a little break. While Pinkie, Applejack, Twilight and Spike were playing with a beach ball in the water, Rainbow Dash was happily swimming. Just like Shiron, Fluttershy and Rarity were also lying on towels - or a couch in Rarity’s case – and were enjoying the sun on their coats. When Shiron looked back at the lake, he noticed that Rainbow Dash was missing. He thought that she might be tired and was taking a nap on her beach chair or a cloud but there neither was a cloud close to the beach nor was she lying on her beach chairs.

When Shiron looked back at the lake, he just in time saw Rainbow Dash resurfaces from the water with her eyes closed and her dripping wet mane hanging over her eyes. She was shaking her mane out of her face and the water drops created a little rainbow that surrounded Dash. Dash opened her eyes and looked at Shiron who softly blushed by the beauty before him. Only Applejack, Pinkie and Rarity noticed that and while Applejack and Pinkie Pie giggled because of his cute reaction, the gears in Rarity’s brain started to move.

“Hey Shiron” Rainbow called while waving at her friend “Come on in. The water is perfect”

“Thanks but I think I prefer the ground for now” Shiron answered, wondering why his face felt warmer.

However, Rainbow Dash wouldn’t be Rainbow Dash if she wouldn’t have a second plan. “But I want to show you; something awesome” she said, trying her best to hide a giggle. Shiron was curiously flying to Rainbow not knowing what she had in mind. When Shiron was close enough, Rainbow grabbed one of Shiron’s front legs with her own front legs and pulled him into the water. He resurfaced and saw Dash smiling a cute and innocent smile.

“I’m glad you changed your mind and joined me” she giggled. With a dripping wet mane Shiron looked at Rainbow and couldn’t suppress his own laugh.

The other ponies and dragon looked at the two laughing ponies and knew that their plan slowly seemed to work. They hadn’t any doubt that they were able to make Shiron feel happy until the end of the party.

**********************************************************************************

After Shiron had more or less freely joined Rainbow Dash in the water, one by one the other party guests had followed. As the time slowly went by it hadn’t taken long until the sun had disappeared and the moon had taken over. However, the party still continued. With Luna’s beautiful night sky above them, the ponies and dragon were sitting around a campfire and were eating marshmallows while sharing stories about adventures or other topics.

“… and then Gilda and I had dropped the bucket and these three jerks had been covered with rainbow liquid. It had taken them a whole week until their manes had their natural colors back but no one messes with my friends or makes them cry.” Rainbow Dash finished one of her stories of her fillyhood adventures. “I really hope you would have been able to meet Gilda before she started to behave this odd” Rainbow added with a sigh.

Fluttershy had knows this story already because it had been because of the three pegasus bullies making her cry that Rainbow Dash had pulled that prank on them. However, what Dash didn't tell was, that she had also been a victim of the bully trio and that these bullies were one of the reasons why Rainbow Dash still tried to hide some parts of her personality. She was the only one who knew Rainbow’s secret but she hoped that Rainbow would someday overcome her own bad memories.

“Hey, is everything alright Fluttershy? You seemed a bit distracted.” Rainbow asked with a worried voiced.

“Uhm, no, everything is alright” the shy pony answered. “I just wondered when the meteor shower is going to start.” Fluttershy added, hoping it would get the attention away from her. She never really liked to be the centre of attention.

“I think it should start in some minutes.” Spike answered. He remembered that Twilight had sent Princess Luna a letter earlier today and asked her for a meteor shower. Twilight and the Moon Princess had became friends over the last weeks after Nightmare Night and she had also explained their party plan to the princess, so that Luna was more than happy to add a little meteor shower to her plans for today’s night.

“Then we should find a good place to watch the meteor shower” Twilight announced.

While the six ponies started to go to a good watching spot Shiron signaled Spike to wait. For the whole day he had wondered why this party felt different and now Shiron thought that he had found the reason. As soon as the six mares were out of hearing reach Shiron turned to Spike.

“Hey, Spike“ he began. “Is it possible that this whole party was for…me?” Shiron asked unsure if he was right or not.

“So you found out.” Spike said after a quick look to the girls to confirm that they weren’t able to hear them. “Yes, this party was for you.” After a short break Spike added “but don’t let the girls know that I told you that. They tried their best to keep the reason for the party a secret and…” Spike stopped for a second.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell them.” Shiron assured before he added “but why did you all do that for me?”

Spike didn’t really understand this question. For him it was only natural to do something to cheer up a friend. “We were all worried and thought this party would help you to feel more welcome because you’re our friend.”

Before the two boys were able to continue Rainbow Dash called for them. “Shiron, Spike. Hurry up or you’ll miss the awesome meteor shower. We all are waiting for you two.” In the background Shiron was also able to hear the other girls agreeing to Dash.

Shiron didn’t understand it. They just knew him for two weeks and yet they had done so much just to cheer him up. It was this moment when Shiron realized that these ponies actually were his friends; he felt it deep in his heart almost as if it was a spark. He didn’t know if it was a mistake or not but he decided that he would start to trust his new friends. For the first time after so many years, he felt happy and secure and maybe, they would help him to feel his heart again. Together with Spike, Shiron was following his friends with a smile on his face. This time, it was a pure and honest smile.





--------------------
Author’s note:

I finally finished this chapter although I’m not that happy with it (especially with everything that came after the breakfast with Shiron and Rainbow Dash). It took way longer than I planned/hoped and I needed a friend who helped me with my writer’s block but here it finally is. I’m sorry that it took that long that some people even thought that I forgot or canceled “Rainbow in the sky”. Don’t worry; I will continue this story until I finished it^^

However there will be some changes. I learned that my current way of writing doesn’t work. I sadly overthink everything I write so that it sometimes ends with a writer’s block. Moreover a friend told me that the beginning of chapter 4 isn’t the same writing style I usually have and he’s right. Just like all writers I need to find my own writing style even if it takes some time.

So for now I’ll do what Samsara (an awesome writer who wrote one of my favorite fanfics called “Study buddies”) told me: just write fanfics and without worrying about the outcome. Although it’s both easy and difficult (especially for a writer who is a lot like Twilight Sparkle) I’ll try that from now on until I found my own writing style.

As a result you might see different writing styles in “Rainbow in the sky”, since it is my main fanfic, until I found my own style of writing. Once I found it I’ll of course re-write the whole fanfic and add new ideas or delete bad ideas. However that’ll take at least some months or longer until I actually found my own writing style to become a good writer like Samsara or other good writers.

Last but not least I also made my own tumblr http://askshiron.tumblr.com/ It isn’t very big right now but I’ll use it for news for my fanfics and projects, asking questions in-character (for now only Shiron from Rainbow in the sky) or out-of-character and of course for fanart^^ I also colored one of the fanart pics and I even drew an own picXD
I’ll only publish SFW art and SFW questions so that everyone can follow me without the fear of reading NSFW or Grimdark questions. All NSFW things will be answered with private messages.