• Published 3rd Oct 2011
  • 4,772 Views, 89 Comments

Rainbow in the sky - Shiron



Rainbow Dash meets a pony who lives in the Everfree Forest. Is he a friend or an enemy?

  • ...
3
 89
 4,772

Prologue

Book 1 – Wounds of the past

Prologue


It was a dark and cold night. Princess Luna had raised the moon and just in time Rainbow Dash and the weather team had finished their preparation for the monthly storm.
After a whole month of sunshine and sometimes a small rainy day it was again time for a storm that would even continue on the following day.

The earth ponies and the unicorns had already prepared the trees, cleaned up the ground, and had brought the smaller and lighter items into their houses. Fluttershy, a shy and caring yellow Pegasus with a pink mane and tail, and some other ponies took care of the animals so that they wouldn't be in danger.

Perfect. Looks like everypony is finished thought the blue Pegasus pony with a rainbow mane and tail. Rainbow Dash, the leader of the weather team in Ponyville, made a last inspection fly to check if everything was in order and everypony had finished their work. After she finished her inspection she made her way to the dark cloud over the town and with a kick thunder sounded and the first raindrops began to fall. With every blow the wind became stronger and after a view moments the storm was unleashed.

A strong wind blew through the trees, flashes illuminated the night and rain started coming down. Yes, Rainbow Dash was very proud of the storm she made but one thing was still missing. Every time, after she unleashed the storms she made, Rainbow Dash couldn't resist taming her storm.

She was the best young flyer in Equestria and she had won the Best Young Flyer competition some months ago but to make her dream come true and become a member of the Wonderbolts, a group with the best flyer in all of Equestria, she was training every day and created new fly tricks. Taming a storm with its strong wind and instance rain was a perfect training and Rainbow loved the feeling when she flew through a storm.

While she was flying through her storm Rainbow Dash's mind traveled back to the first time she had tamed a storm.
It was two weeks after she had left Cloudsdale and had moved to Ponyville. Cloudsdale had been her home and she had loved the competition with other members of the Junior Speedsters but after the incident with Silverwing she had decided to start a new life and Ponyville had been perfect.
Fluttershy had moved there after she had gotten her cutie mark and her parents had even bought her a cottage near Ponyville where she was taking care of her animal friends.

Rainbow Dash had visited her from time to time and during her visits she had met two of Fluttershy's new friends, a crazy party pony named Pinkie Pie and a farm pony named Applejack.
The first day she had met the farm pony had ended with hoof wrestling to decide who the stronger pony was. Although Rainbow couldn't remember who had won, she remembered the day they had met had been the beginning of their friendship. It had also been the beginning of Rainbow's never-ending competition with Applejack.

However on one of her visits Fluttershy had told her that the weather ponies had been searching for new members. She had also told Rainbow Dash that the pay was good and that from time to time weather ponies even had the chance to join the Wonderbolts. This job had been the perfect chance to make her dream come true.
Some days later Rainbow Dash had moved into her new cloud castle her parents had rented for her and which she had bought one year later.

During her time as member of the Junior Speedsters Rainbow Dash had become very fast and skilled. Therefore the examination had been very easy for her and Rainbow Dash had become a member of the weather team.

The first two weeks had been way too boring for her. All she had to do was to clear the sky with some other new members, move some clouds or create a little rain for small gardens. During most of her free time she had explored and had furnished her new home, she had traveled trough Ponyville where she had met many new friends like a unicorn named Rarity or she had just napped on a cloud or in an apple tree.

During one of her meetings with Fluttershy and her new friends Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity, the leader of the weather ponies, a Pegasus pony names Stormchaser, had appeared. At first Rainbow Dash had feared the worst but when Stormchaser had told her that she was allowed to create a big storm, Rainbow Dash hadn't been able to hide her excitement and had started to say ohmygosh again and again. She had been awake all night to learn everything about storms and then her great day had come.

Stormchaser had been sitting on a cloud while Rainbow Dash had told the other weather ponies what they had to do. The thunderclouds, the rain clouds and the wind clouds were brought and soon they had been in perfect order. After two more hours of preparations the storm was finished and the only thing that had been missing had been to kick the big storm cloud to unleash the storm.
With a nervous look Rainbow Dash had waited and had watched as Stormchaser had checked everything. After some minutes that had been like an eternity for Rainbow Dash, Stormchaser had flown back to her.

With a pleased nod and a smile she had said "Very good job. Now you can unleash your very first storm."

Rainbow Dash had never been as happy as this time. After Rainbow had unleashed her storm Stormchaser had told her that she was very pleased with Rainbow's abilities. However Stormchaser had also told her that Rainbow wasn't as good as she could be. At first Rainbow Dash had been disappointed but then Stormchaser had told her a new way to train. "A storm is strong and wild and only the best ponies can fly through a storm. If you can tame it you will not only test your own abilities, you will also become a better flyer."

At first Rainbow Dash had been nervous because she had never flown in a storm before, but after some moments the feeling had been beyond description. She had been able to feel every wind gust. Together with the wind and the rain it had been like she was surfing on a wave. She had known all gusts and she had used them to fly faster than she had ever flown, except the time when she had done the Sonic Rainboom.

When she had landed next to Stormchaser the storm had already unleashed its true power and had begun to become weaker. Without even knowing she had flown for some hours and because of the awesome feeling she had even lost the track of time. "I'm proud of you Rainbow Dash. Only the best Pegasus ponies are able to tame a storm,” Stormchaser had told her.
During the next months Stormchaser had taught her many new things and tricks before the day of parting had come.

Every time she flew through a storm like she did it now, Rainbow Dash could hear Stormchaser's voice "I taught you everything I know my friend. From the first day I saw you I knew that you would someday become the leader of the weather ponies. Today is this day and now you are the new leader but I'm sure some day we will once again fly together. One day, Rainbow Dash, you will become a member of the Wonderbolts." Then she had left Ponyville as a new member of the Wonderbolts but Rainbow Dash had never given up her dream.

She loved Stormchaser like the big sister she never had and one day they would again fly together trough the sky.
Rainbow Dash smiled when she realized that she and Scootaloo shared almost the same bond she had with Stormchaser. Both Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo didn't have any siblings and if Scootaloo would ever ask her, Rainbow Dash would gladly become the big sister and mentor Stormchaser was for her.

She almost flew an hour through the storm and rode every wind gust she found. Yeah, this is so awesome! This time I surpassed myself with the storm. When Rainbow Dash realized that she was already at the edge of the Everfree Forest, she knew that she even tamed this storm. Hehehe. Another storm was tamed by the incredible Rainbow Dash. When the Wonderbolts see me like this, they'll beg me to join them as their new leader.

Satisfied with her skills Rainbow Dash prepared herself to fly back to her house when she heard something. At first she thought that her ears played a trick on her but then she heard it again. It sounded like someone was singing. She closed her eyes and focused on the sound. It took some time before she heard the sound again. It was indeed a voice and the voice was also singing. Although she couldn't hear any words she could hear that the song wasn't like the happy and cheerful songs she is use to hearing from her friend Pinkie Pie. It was a slow and almost sad melody.

Rainbow Dash had her eyes still closed and turn herself in the direction of the voice. When she opened her eyes again she couldn't believe it. The source of the voice came from the Everfree Forest. She knew that Zecora was the only one who lived in the Everfree Forest, so she must be the one who was singing. Is this girl crazy? Why is she outside when there is a storm?

Rainbow Dash flew into the Everfree Forest but when she was close to the source of the voice, it suddenly disappeared. "Zecora. Where are you?" Rainbow Dash shouted for Zecora but the voice was still missing. Maybe she is going back to her house she thought to herself. Well, it's time to fly home. I hope Zecora is safe.

Rainbow Dash started to fly back to Ponyville when she saw that a tree was hit by a flash. She tried to avoid the falling branches but it was too late. One of the branches hit her and she began to fall. She tried to get back the control but could only manage to slow down her falling tempo. Come on Dash, you can do it she tried to cheer to herself. Using all her strength she could at least manage some wing beats so that she wouldn’t, at least, crash into a tree or against a rock and avoid serious injuries. Some moments later Rainbow Dash crashed hard on the ground.

Ouch! After the pain started to fade Rainbow Dash stood up but when she looked at the sky she froze. Dark clouds were covering the sky, a strong wind blew and it started to rain but this wasn't the reason why Rainbow Dash was shocked. The reason was that these clouds weren't part of her storm.

Everypony knew that the Everfree Forest wasn't natural. The animals cared for themselves, plants grew by their own and the worst part, the weather wasn't controlled by ponies. From one moment to another the weather could changed from sunny to stormy and nopony could predicted the weather.

Rainbow Dash coursed her bad luck. Only the best Pegasus ponies just like her were able to fly during a storm. Even during a natural storm it was risky but during an unnatural storm like this it was life endangering even for her.
Although the storm didn't move to Ponyville, which would be awful especially if this storm met her storm and created a way bigger storm, Rainbow Dash decided that she would walk back to Ponyville. The only problem was that she didn't know where exactly she was.

While she looked around and scanned the forest for something familiar like the Poison Joke flowers, Rainbow Dash couldn't escape the feeling that someone or something was watching her. The Everfree Forest was filled with all kinds of dangerous creature and although she tried not to think about them she couldn't ignore all the creepy sounds that filled the air and suddenly Rainbow Dash recalled the story that Scootaloo had told her.

During a sleepover of the Cutie Mark Crusaders at Fluttershy's home one of Fluttershy's chickens had escaped and had ran into the Everfree Forest. Scootaloo and her friends had followed it into the forest and they found it. However they also found Twilight Sparkle who was turned into stone by a creature called cockatrice. However thanks to Fluttershy and her stare the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight and even the chicken were rescued.
The last thing Rainbow Dash wanted was to run into one of those creepy cockatrices and being turned to stone.

The creepy sounds became even louder and Rainbow Dash thought that they were surrounding her.
Rainbow Dash stood up and while she was standing on her hind legs, kicking her front legs into the air like a boxer, she bravely shouted, "Show yourself you creepy monsters." When the sounds became even louder she slowly added "but on a second thought…" Rainbow Dash nervously laughed "I don't want to hurt you so you …uhm…can stay where you are."

The sound of a deep growl filled the air and before Rainbow Dash could even react she realized that she already ran away from the growl. She hoped that she would find a way out of the Everfree Forest or maybe Zecora's house but Rainbow Dash would be even happy if she could find a good place to hide and wait out the storm.
While she was running she heard that something big was following her and it came closer.

After some time dashing through the forest, she had passed many densely wooded places. Rainbow Dash turned her head around to see if the creature still followed her. When she couldn't see nor hear anything behind her Rainbow Dash sighed in relief. However when she thought she was safe she turned her head again in the direction she was running but it was too late.
She tried to slow down but in the end she crashed straight into a tree. I hate trees she thought after she landed hard on her back.

Once again the growl filled the air and it came closer. Still unable to move from her crash Rainbow Dash thought about her options but she had no idea what to do.
The shadow of a big creature appeared behind a tree and she could only see its fangs and teeth in the light of the moon. Still hiding in the shadows the creature slowly came closer and closer. It opened its jaws and its saliva dribbled to the ground. The creature was already close enough for Rainbow Dash to smell its warm and foul breath.

With all her will power Rainbow Dash tried to escape but all she could manage was to crawl closer to the tree and take a lose branch off the ground with her mouth. If this monster was trying to eat her she would fight until the end.
Rainbow Dash could see the devilish yellow eyes of the creature, looking at its pray, but before the creature was able to attack Rainbow Dash a bright light illuminated the dark forest. The creature let out a painful cry and shielded its eyes with its hands before it turned away from Rainbow Dash.

After a last angry hiss the creature ran away, back into the darkness of the Everfree Forest. From the other direction Rainbow Dash could hear the sound of footsteps or maybe even hoofsteps. Although she didn't feel any serious injuries from the crash with the tree Rainbow Dash could feel that she would soon lose consciousness.
The last thing she saw before she fainted was someone who was coming closer to her. The person was wearing a cloak just like Zecora. Although Rainbow Dash couldn't see the face of person in front of her, one thing she knew for sure. This wasn't Zecora.
Then the world around her became dark.