• Published 13th Sep 2011
  • 8,635 Views, 123 Comments

Storms On the Horizon - Eeveexpert



What is good without evil? What is light without dark? Everything in this world has an opposite.

  • ...
3
 123
 8,635

1 - The Hunt Begins

Just a...little further...

Somewhere in the middle of the Everfree Forest, a brown pegasus messenger stumbled through the trees, engaged in a losing battle with the limits of his own body. He had been walking for what seemed like days. His hooves were sore and cracked, his wings hung uselessly at his side, their strength long since burned out. His vision swam with fatigue; a single tree before him danced and waved so erratically, it appeared to be three trees in one. An unearthed root directly in his path easily went unnoticed. Until his hoof caught it, that is.

I can't quit... he thought, spitting out a clot of decaying leaves and mud. Celestia must receive this message... It needs...to get to...Canterlot... Pulling another chunk of energy out of some deeply hidden reserve, the pegasus forced himself back to his hooves and resumed his aimless staggering.

At long last, he finally broke free of the seemingly endless trees, and suddenly, there it was. Like the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, there it was. The royal city of Canterlot, perched high upon the mountainside. Relief flooded the tired pegasi's body at the sight. At that instant, his legs buckled underneath him and he found himself with the unpleasant taste of mud in his mouth once more. I...did it... I'm here... Before finally passing out, the winged pony remembered seeing a pair of twinkling points of light descending towards him, shining brightly even in the midday sun.

-------------------------

Somewhere deep inside the Canterlot Palace, a white pegasus stallion sat in a simplistic room, all manner of books, scrolls, and various other manuscripts strewn about on the table before him. The decorated golden armor he wore gleamed softly in the candlelight. Several quick knocks on the door broke his attention away from his studies.

"General Headwind, sir!"

The pegasus general stood up from his table and slowly walked to the door. On the other side of it stood another white pegasus, clad in very similar golden armor who quickly threw up a respectful salute at his superior's presence.

"At ease, Jet Stream." Headwind said, dismissively flicking his wing. "What is it, Lieutenant?"

"During one of our routine daily patrols of the city's outer limits, Cirrus and I discovered an unconscious pegasus messenger on the very edge of the Everfree Forest."

"Where is Cirrus now?"

"I requested he stay with the messenger so that the dispatched medical team could locate them easier."

The general nodded. "Very good. This pegasus, you mentioned he was a messenger. Was he carrying anything of significant importance?"

"As a matter of fact, yes, he was." The lieutenant produced a sealed scroll from a compartment in his armor located under his wing, which he passed to the other pegasus. "It is addressed directly to Princess Celestia." he added. "I know that you report directly to the Royal Sisters, sir, so I thought it fitting that I come to you first."

"Excellent work, Lieutenant." General Headwind tucked the scroll under his wing and gave a salute, to which the other pegasus responded with one of his own. "I want you to find that medical team and direct them to the messenger. Understood?"

"Yes sir, General, sir!"

"Very good. Dismissed!"

As the lieutenant galloped down the hallway, the general turned and started in the opposite direction, deeper into the palace. A lengthy trek up several flights of stairs and down several more hallways placed him in front of a brightly decorated wooden door emblazoned with an ornate depiction of the sun. Raising a hoof, the white pegasus rapped smartly on the door.

A female voice floated out from behind the closed door. "May I ask who it is?"

"General Headwind, of the Royal Air Guard of Canterlot, requesting permission to enter Her Majesty's chambers." he replied in a very militaristic manner.

"Permission granted. You may enter."

As if by magic, the elaborate door swung inward. Standing against the far wall, gazing out the window, was a tall white alicorn. There was no wind whatsoever in the room, yet her multi-colored mane and tail danced and shimmered as though tousled by a gentle breeze. The same image of the sun that was on the door was also visible upon her flank. The shining gold tiara, amulet, and boots that she wore completed her regal appearance. The general bowed his head in respect. "Forgive the intrusion, your Highness, but something has come up. Something that I believe warrants your immediate attention."

"What is it, General?" Celestia asked, keeping her gaze pointed out the window.

"A scroll, addressed specifically for you. It was found in the possession of a pegasus messenger that was found unconscious on the edge of the city. A medical team has been dispatched to locate him and transport him back to the palace infirmary for proper care. I have the scroll for you here, should it please you to look at it."

At the mention of the message, the princess turned to face the significantly smaller pegasus. A magical yellow glow surrounded her horn, and subsequently, the sealed scroll under the general's wing. Guided by her magic, the parchment rose to Celestia's eye level and unfurled itself. Her intelligent violet eyes silently traced over the words scribed upon the paper. As she read on, her brow furrowed and her tail began flicking in frustration.

"Beg pardon, your Majesty, but what seems to be the matter? It looks as though it's quite serious."

The mare let out a lengthy sigh. "Here, you take a look at it. You tell me." The scroll floated down to the general's eye level.

The pegasi's eyes were dark and clouded with worry by the time he had finished reading the message. "This sounds all too familiar, your Majesty. First it was Delamare, then it was Fillydelphia, followed soon after by similar reports from Manehattan. Finally, Appleloosa. This is the fourth case of such an occurrence in the-"

"Past month, I know." Celestia finished. "They're getting closer to Canterlot. Ponyville, too." The image of a young lavender unicorn, surrounded by all five of her closest friends flashed through the princess' mind. "It is as if these 'storms' are searching for something. Whatever that something is, I feel that they are getting closer to it."

"What course of action do you suggest we take, Princess?" Headwind inquired.

Celestia turned to face the window again, gazing out it, in the direction of Ponyville. Lost in thought, she remained silent, even after the general repeated his question. Finally, the white pegasus was forced to ask for the third time. "Princess?"

"Have several of your guards pull a chariot to Ponyville and find my student, Twilight Sparkle. Escort her back to Canterlot. I wish to have an audience with her directly. I shall send her a message announcing your arrival and explaining the circumstances that are upon us."

"Very well, your Majesty. There is still the matter of her friends, however. Do you wish to have them escorted back as well?"

"If they choose to accompany you during the time of your visit, then yes. I have not observed any of these 'storms' in this region of Equestria. As of right now, I do not believe that anypony is in immediate danger. Even so, our actions must be swift and without hesitation. I want your stallions en route to Ponyville within the hour. Is that clear?"

"Crystal, your Highness. They will be in the air immediately. You have my word." Headwind saluted and made a prompt about-face to exit the chamber.

"Oh, and before you leave, General, I've one more request of you."

"Anything."

"After your guards have been dispatched, find my sister and notify her of today's events." Princess Celestia instructed, glancing back over her shoulder. "Also let her know that I wish her to be present for the meeting with Twilight. She should be in the palace library, busy with her studies. I've a feeling that this involves her too."

"At once, your Highness." The general saluted once more and took his leave.

The same magical glow pushed the door shut behind the general. The alicorn took a deep breath and slowly stepped away from the window, cantering over to a large personal bookshelf that dominated the entire wall. A few minutes of searching, and a voluminous, thickly bound volume floated magically off the bookcase. Standing out against the book's black leather cover, flowing gold lettering spelled out its title. A Brief History of Harmony and Discord, by Stephen Colting. "This should tell me if my suspicions are correct or not..."

-------------------------

"There we go. All done."

In a humble, tree-like cottage on the edge of the small town of Ponyville, another pegasus was attending to her own very important matters. In the main room of this literal tree-house, a pastel-yellow pony with a flowing pink mane stood at a small table with her patient. Her standard tools of the trade were spread out on the table within hoof's reach.

"How does that feel?" the winged mare asked her patient.

Her "patient" was actually a young robin who had been unlucky enough to fall from his nest and dislocate one of his wings. Fluttershy, who had been going about her daily chore of feeding all the animals she attended to, immediately noticed his plight and whisked him inside, promising "I'll have you feeling better in no time, you poor little thing..." The pegasus had been true to her word, and the little bird felt great. He trilled happily and hopped about on the table.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling better." she said, smiling from ear to ear. "Come with me, and I'll put you back safe and sound in your nest, okay?" Fluttershy brought a hoof up to table level, so the robin could hop on. With her precious cargo in tow, the pegasus spread her wings and began flapping. Taking great care to fly slowly and steadily, the pony carried the young bird back up to his nest in the tree next to her own. "Now, I don't want you to use that wing for a whole day, mister." Though the mare's words were stern, her tone was far from it. "I'll be back tomorrow to see how it's doing, okay?"

After receiving an affirmative nod, Fluttershy dropped back down to the ground to pick up her task where she had left off. Humming a familiar melody, she trotted back into her home, headed for the kitchen to prepare a meal for the last animal on her list, her special friend, Angel Bunny. She pulled open the door to her refrigerator, and dropped her humming. "Oh my... Out of carrots..." she murmured. As she thought of where she could acquire more carrots on such short notice, her first idea was a pony that shared the name of the orange vegetable. That idea was quickly dismissed, however. "No...that won't do; Carrot Top's shop won't be open until tomorrow..." A little more thought provided a reasonable alternative. "Applejack should be able to spare some carrots to tide me over until tomorrow."

Her mind made up, Fluttershy picked up her saddlebags and slipped them on. "Angel Bunny?" she called, stepping back into the main room. "I-I'm sorry, but I've run out of carrots for your dinner. I'll be back in about an hour, all right?" The mare stepped outside and spread her wings once more. Before she started for Sweet Apple Acres, the pegasus set her flight path toward the home of another of her friends, a one Carousel Boutique.

As she flew, Fluttershy recalled the reason she was stopping at the boutique. The day before, the pegasus had received a knock on her door. Upon opening the door, she had been greeted by a white unicorn proudly sporting a very well-kept violet mane. "Hello there, Rarity. Is there something I can do for you?"

"Actually, darling, there is." the white pony answered. "I'm dreadfully sorry to drop in on you on such short notice, but I need a favor of you."

"Anything."

"I have found myself needing to accompany Twilight and Spike to Canterlot on business-related matters. You see, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie shall be joining us as well and I need somepony to look in on Opalescence for me. Not that anypony else has your talent with animals, my dear."

It goes without saying that the animal-loving pegasus had agreed to the request. As it turned out, reminiscing was a great tool for killing time; the tall, spired building known as Carousel Boutique had already appeared below the airborne pony. She barely made a sound as she landed upon the doorstep. "Now then, what did I do with that spare key that Rarity gave me?" Fluttershy muttered, rummaging through her saddlebags. "Oh, wait... Here it is." Slipping the key into the lock, the mare gave it a quick turn and pushed the door open.

The inside of Carousel Boutique looked every inch that one would expect a dressmaker's shop to look. The shelves were full of a veritable rainbow of supplies. The shelf space that wasn't occupied by fabric or string was taken up with other related items, such as tacks and safety pins. Tacked to the walls were a multitude of dress designs, some finished, some not. "Oh my... It certainly looks like Rarity has been busy lately..." the winged mare commented to herself, glancing at a sewing machine messily surrounded by the usual dressmaker's tools. "Goodness, I hope she hasn't forgotten to feed Opal... Speaking of Opal, I wonder where she could be... Opal? Opalescence, sweetie, where are you?" Fluttershy called softly, wandering up the stairs in search of the feline.

"Mrrrowwww..." A sleepy sounding meow slipped under the door in front of Fluttershy.

"I heard you, sweetie..." the pink-maned pony answered, opening the door to Rarity's room."Where are you?" A second meow above her caused the mare to look up. Perched on the top of a tall shelf, the white cat looked around sleepily. "There you are, Opal... Come down here, silly." At Fluttershy's beckoning, the feline quickly hopped down to the floor. She greeted the yellow pony with another meow and began rubbing against her forelegs. "That a girl..." The mare returned the feline's affectionate nuzzle. "Who's hungry?"

One bowl of cat food (and one very happy Opalescence) later, Fluttershy departed Carousel Boutique, making sure to lock the door behind her. Sweet Apple Acres was only a short flight away, so the pegasus took to the air once more. After another few minutes of flight, the mare could see the wooden sign for Sweet Apple Acres coming up fast. At first glance, Fluttershy only spotted two figures upon the farm grounds, one of which came running towards her as she landed, barking and wagging its tail; obviously not Applejack, but Fluttershy was happy to see her nonetheless. "Hi, Winona!" The collie energetically bounded after the winged pony as she trotted up to the other figure she had seen from the air. "Uhm... Excuse me? B-Big Macintosh?" There was a distinct change in the level of confidence in the pegasi's voice when she went from talking with animals to talking with other ponies.

"Well, howdy...er...Flutt'rshy, is it?" The big red earth pony took a break from his field plowing and glanced at the timid yellow mare. "Can Ah help ya with sumthin'?"

"Oh...um...yes. I-if it isn't too much of a problem..." Fluttershy mumbled, uncomfortably rubbing her foreleg. "Do...do you know where Applejack is? I have to ask her something..."

The stallion nodded. "Sure do. AJ's out in the orchard, bringin' in the' last of t'day's apple harvest. Do y'all want me t'take ya out there?"

"Oh no... That's...fine, thank you." she politely insisted, turning to head for the orchard. An instant later, she paused and looked back at Big Macintosh. "Uhm...actually, would you mind showing me? I-if you're not too busy...I mean..."

"Sure thing. Ah was just about finished with mah plowin' fer the day. Ah'd be happy ta walk ya out there."

"Th-thanks..."

The mare was unusually quiet, even by her standards, as the big red pony led her into the hundreds of apple trees that were the Apple family's orchard. Big Macintosh was the first to break the awkward silence. "Winona seems ta have taken a real shine t'ya." he commented.

"Huh? Oh, she follows me like this whenever I visit."

"Y've got a real way with animals, if ya don't mind mah sayin' so."

"Th-thank you..." Fluttershy murmured, blushing at the compliment.

"Eeyup."

Any further conversation between the two ponies was interrupted by a frustrated shout bearing the same country twang as Big Macintosh. "Owch! Dangnabbit, apple! Ah'm supposed ta be doin' the buckin', not the other way around!"

"That would be AJ..." Big Macintosh chuckled.

"Big Mac? Is that you? Ya finished with that field plowin' already?"

"Eeyup. Y'all have got a visitor here ta see ya, AJ."

The orange earth pony bent down to retrieve the offending apple, placing it in the baskets balanced across her back. "Well, who is it?" The blonde-maned pony answered her own question as she turned around. "Fluttershy!" she exclaimed. "What are y'all doin' here, sugarcube? What's the occasion?"

"I-I've got a favor to ask of you, if that's all right..."

"Well, of course that's alright. Y'all got here at the perfect time. Ah was just about ta call it a day, anyhow. Ya wanna walk these apples back ta the barn with me?" The farmer pony shrugged to settle the baskets on her back a little more comfortably.

"Okay..."

"Alrighty. Let's get movin' then. Ah kin see a storm brewin' over yonder. Looks like it might be a real big'n, too."

"What?" Glancing out over the vast ocean of apple trees, Fluttershy could indeed see the dark, roiling clouds typical of a thunderhead growing on the horizon, most likely stemming from the Everfree Forest. "I didn't see any storms building after I left Rarity's..."

"Not surprisin'." the earth pony answered. "Ah've only just been watchin' this one fer the last few minutes. A li'l extra water's always good fer the apples, anyway."

"But from the Everfree Forest?"

"C'mon, sugarcube. Water's water. Don't make no difference where it comes from."

Disregarding the friendly banter between the two ponies, the trek back to the barn was largely uneventful, although the approaching storm did get a good deal closer.

"There we go. That's a right purty harvest fer a day's work." Applejack remarked, admiring the several dozen baskets of apples lined up in the barn, ready for sorting. "So, Fluttershy, what was that favor ya wanted ta ask of me?"

"Oh...that... Well, I was making Angel Bunny's dinner, and...I saw I was out of carrots... I was wondering...uhm...if it's all right, that is..."

"Y'all need a bushel or two of carrots, right?" the orange pony guessed.

"Yes. Just enough to last me until tomorrow. If you could spare them..."

"Of course. Ah'd be more'n happy ta loan ya some carrots. Not a problem." The hat-wearing pony cantered over to a large slotted crate filled to the brim with the orange vegetables. Out of this, she pulled half a dozen very healthy carrots, which she dropped into the pegasi's saddlebags. "There ya are, hun. The best of t'day's crop."

"How much do I owe you for these carrots, Applejack?"

The orange pony winked. "Consider 'em on the house."

"R-really? Are you sure?" Fluttershy asked. "I wouldn't want to impose..."

"Yer one of mah best friends, Fluttershy, y'all couldn't impose on me if ya tried. Shucks, Ah'd give ya the saddle offa mah back if Ah thought ya needed it. Take 'em. Ah ain't gonna take 'no' fer an answer."

The pegasus smiled. "Thank you, Applejack."

The mare's "thank you" was overshadowed by a massive peal of thunder that shook the very air inside the barn. Only in the following silence did the two ponies notice the sheets of rain drumming their rhythmic patterns on the roof of the barn. "Well, Ah'll be... That there storm got here right quick." The orange pony glanced out the open barn doors and grimaced. "Ah certainly hope ya didn't have anywhere ta go, Fluttershy... It's rainin' cats an' dogs out here..."

"Oh no... Oh no, oh no, oh no..." she fretted, joining Applejack at the door. "I-I'm sorry to run out on you like this, Applejack, but I need to get home..."

The farmer pony placed herself in the winged mare's flight path. "Whoa, reign it in there, sugarcube. Y'all can't go out flyin' in a downpour like this; ain't safe."

"Oh no, Applejack... You don't understand... I absolutely must get home; Angel Bunny is probably terrified right now... I-"

The stubborn pony refused to budge. "Nothin' doin'. Ah know ya wanna get home an' check up on all yer li'l animal friends, but it ain't gonna do them a lick o' good if y'all get yerself hurt on the way home. Do me a favor an' stay the night. Y'all can head out first thing in the mornin', deal?"

As much as Fluttershy still wanted to hurry home, Applejack's reasoning made too much sense. "All right... You win; I'll stay..."

"Thanks, hun. Ah couldn't forgive mahself if Ah let ya get hurt in this storm. C'mon, let's make a break fer the house." she suggested, motioning toward the back door of the farmhouse. "Once we get inside, Ah'll help ya get set up fer the night."

Fluttershy nodded and sprinted after her friend, out into the deluge. Her mane and tail were soaked clean through by the time the pair reached the door. Applejack was in much the same state. The orange pony pushed the door open and ushered the pegasus inside.

"Shoot!" The orange equine stomped a hoof upon the doorstep in frustration. "Ah'm mighty sorry, Fluttershy, Ah forgot that the girls are out in the clubhouse. Ah've gotta go an' fetch 'em... Y'all make yerself at home, sugarcube. Ah'll be back in a flash." Without waiting for a response, Applejack turned and galloped off, quickly disappearing in the driving rain.

The pegasus watched as the other pony dashed off. "O-okay... Be careful, Applejack..."

Fluttershy didn't think it was possible, but, in the time that Applejack was gone, the storm seemed to get even worse. The thunder and lightning had started coming in waves, with shrinking periods of silence between each wave. The rain had forgone coming down in individual sheets and now just battered the farmhouse continuously. The pegasus sat at the window, staring out into the merciless downpour, dutifully searching for any signs of Applejack and the self-named Cutie Mark Crusaders through the growing darkness.

"Ya doin' all right there, Flutt'rshy?" Big Macintosh asked from the kitchen.

"H-huh? Oh yes, I'm fine. Just a little concerned, is all..." she added softly, turning her blue-green eyes back out the window.

"Ah wouldn't be too worried 'bout AJ if Ah was you." The big red pony joined the mare at the window. "She's a right stubborn pony; she'll see that the li'l ones get back safely. They'll be just fine."

"If you say so..." The winged pony glanced down at Winona's smiling face. At least, Fluttershy thought she was smiling; it was sort of hard to tell. The canine hadn't yet left her side since she'd arrived. She gave the loyal collie a light pat on the head and returned the smile.

As it happened, Fluttershy didn't have to wait very long before Applejack and the fillies returned to the farmhouse. Truthfully, Fluttershy probably would have been happier had they not returned so suddenly. The farmhouse door flew open with such force that its hinges creaked. As the door flew open, a bolt of lightning lit up the doorframe, giving the three silhouettes standing within quite the frightening appearance. The pegasus uttered a frightened "Eep!" and dove behind the nearest thing available, Big Macintosh.

The red earth pony chuckled softly. "Hey there, Apple Bloom. Ah see AJ got ya back safely."

"Yup! She sure did!"

Her fear forgotten at hearing Apple Bloom's voice, Fluttershy stepped out from behind Big Macintosh. "Girls! You scared me..."

The "girls" to which the winged pony was referring to joined their yellow filly friend in a cry of "Fluttershy! It's so good to see you!"

The pink-maned pegasus soon found herself knocked to the floor under the force of the Cutie Mark Crusaders' excited tackle.

"Applejack said you'd be here! Good to see you!" the orange pegasus filly squealed.

"Uhm...girls...?" Fluttershy found it difficult to get a word in edge-wise against the fillies' constant stream of questions.

"What are y'all doin' here, Fluttershy?"

"Oh...uhm... Hi, Apple Bloom... Ow..."

"Are you staying the night?" Sweetie Belle chimed in.

"Y-yes... Girls, please, let me up..."

With Fluttershy's quiet requests going unheard, it fell to Applejack to help out. "C'mon, you scamps, get offa her. Let the poor pony stand' up." That did the trick; the three fillies finally extricated themselves from the tangled mess of tails and manes and let their quarry stagger back to her hooves. "Sorry 'bout that, Fluttershy. Ah shoulda given ya some warnin'. Ah mentioned y'all were stayin' over, an' before Ah knew it, these three were off an' runnin'."

Fluttershy smiled. "Oh, that's quite all right. I'm always happy to see the girls."

"So, what're we gonna do first, Fluttershy? Huh? Huh?" the white unicorn filly asked excitedly.

"Oh... Whatever you want, I guess. But I have to set my things up first." Pausing, the mare looked toward the hat-wearing farmer pony. "Where is your guest room, Applejack?"

"Hold on a tick. Y'all ain't staying in no guest room. Y'all can stay in mah room tonight."

"O-oh no... I-I couldn't..." Fluttershy murmured, taking a small step backward and averting her eyes. "I-I'm just going to be here for the night, anyway..."

"Nonsense. Ya weren't expectin' ta have ta stay over tonight; take mah room. Granny Smith is outta town visitin' Auntie Orange, anyhow. Ah'll stay in her room."

"But I-"

"Ah insist. Ah'm a big pony, Ah kin handle bein' outta mah own bed fer a night. C'mon, lemme show ya where you'll be stayin'."

-------------------------

Despite the apparently limitless energy of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, they were still only fillies, and that energy quickly burned itself out, leaving the little ponies fast asleep upon the couch. "Whew... It's about time those three fell asleep. Cutie mark this, special talent that. Lan' sakes, Ah thought they'd never settle down." Applejack whispered. "That was a right purty lullaby, Fluttershy; knocked 'em right out."

"Lots of practice." she answered simply, pulling a blanket over the sleeping fillies.

"You'll have ta teach it ta me, so's I can get those little ones ta sleep whenever they're stayin' over." The orange pony yawned widely as the late hour of the night began to take its toll on her.

Yawns were, of course, highly contagious, and Fluttershy soon followed suit. "Perhaps some other time, Applejack. I-If that's all right with you, I mean. I'm exhausted from trying to keep up with the girls..." The pegasi's voice showed just how tired she really was.

"Shoot. Ah didn't mean right now, Fluttershy." she chuckled, starting up the staircase. The hat-wearing pony paused at the top to wait for her guest. "Mah room's the first one on the right. If ya need more blankets or a drink of water durin' the night, the linen closet and bathroom are just down the hall. Y'all gonna be okay tonight?"

"Oh, yes. I'll be fine. Thanks again for letting me stay the night, Applejack."

"Don't mention it, hun'. If y'all need anythin' else just gimme a holler." The earth pony turned and headed in the opposite direction, yawning as she did so.

The pegasus stepped into the bedroom and pushed the door shut behind her. A few moments later, she was wrapped up snugly in the covers as the storm continued to rage unabated outside the small farmhouse.

Fluttershy was up long before the sun, startled awake by a particularly loud peal of thunder. The storm was still in full swing, so she assumed that she hadn't been asleep very long. A quick glance at the clock on the nightstand confirmed her assumption. She'd only been asleep for two hours. Ugh... Ignoring the glowing display of the clock, the winged pony rolled over and tried to find sleep again. Since she was now conscious, her body finally got a chance to tell her that she was thirsty. Ignoring her dry mouth was significantly harder than ignoring the clock, and she resignedly slid out of bed and clopped out into the hallway.

Thirst quenched, the pony was just about to round the corner back into Applejack's room when a loud crash stopped her in her tracks and made her heart jump into her throat. "That...that sounded like glass breaking..." she mouthed worriedly. Before she could take any further action, another noise reached her ears; voices...

"There's nopony in here... This is an empty room."

"Gee, I hadn't noticed, idiot... Thank you for stating the obvious..."

Fluttershy pressed herself against the wall, a hoof over her mouth to keep herself from screaming. Oh my...! Burglars! Swallowing nervously, she peered around the corner. The glow from the clock didn't provide nearly enough light to make out the intruders, but the terrified pony didn't have to wait long to get a glimpse. Another bolt of lightning lit up the small bedroom with a white, ethereal glow. That split-second flash of light seemed to stretch out into an eternity. During that eternity, Fluttershy got a very good look at the pair of thieves. Two female pegasi were against the far wall busily digging through Applejack's closet, tossing the earth pony's possessions helter-skelter.

The smaller of the two ponies stood up from rummaging through Applejack's things and sighed. "This is just like the last five places we've been to." she said to her counterpart. "The room is empty, and we haven't found a thing. Are we even looking in the right places?"

"Where else is there left to look?" the other pony sniffed. "The next closest city is...Canterlot... That's it! If we go now, we can be there by sunrise. Let's move."

After the hushed order, the two winged burglars made their escape out of the broken window, leaving the room in disarray with a very confused pegasus standing in the midst of the dishevelment.