• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 2,902 Views, 169 Comments

Among Gods - Grave_Mind



A DC Universe crossover featuring humanized ponies and OC's. When Sunset Shimmer steals the Element of Magic, Twilight and her friends must stop her from bringing one of the DCU's greatest evils to Equestria.

  • ...
16
 169
 2,902

Issue 1, Chapter 5

Issue 1: Tower of Babel

Chapter 5


Nightwing hopped out of the T-Ship and landed on the cold metal floor of the Watchtower Hangar Bay. The rest of the Titans soon followed. Starfire flew upwards into the air before she gracefully floated back down. The orange Tamaranian beauty’s long, firey-red hair flowed at her back as she wore the most pleasing and excited smile. Beast Boy wasn’t too far behind, peeking out from his seat. The green hero’s eyes widened in awe and disbelief. “Whoa…Wally was right,” he muttered in amazement. He climbed out in a manner similar to a monkey, clambering out and landing on all fours. “I can’t believe we’re actually here! This place beats Titans Tower by a mile!

Nightwing smirked as Starfire giggled at Beast Boy’s excitement. “I must agree with Beast Boy, Nightwing,” the Tamaranian said. “The Watchtower is most definitely a wonder to behold! I am curious how such a fortification was even funded, however…”

It was Nightwing’s turn to chuckle now. “It’s a trade secret, Kori,” he explained simply as he ran a hand through his hair. “The JLA just happen to have the right people supporting them.”

“Yet they won’t tell us who,” Superboy said as he finally hopped out of the ship as well. The young Kryptonian clone wore an uneasy expression as dark as his black shirt, the red Superman ‘S’ shield displayed boldly on the front. “Doesn’t it bother you how secretive these people are, even to us? It’s like we’re being purposefully kept in the dark or something.”

Nightwing blinked a bit at Superboy’s outburst. He had been unsure about coming here ever since J’onn gave them the go-ahead to come on up and take Cyborg back home. “Whoa, take it easy, Conner,” he told his friend, walking up to him and raising his hands up slowly. “We’re just excited to finally see this place for ourselves, especially since it’s still undergoing renovation.”

“I’m just being honest, Dick,” Conner explained. “Don’t you find it odd that the League is keeping this place in so much secrecy, even to its affiliates?”

“Superboy’s got a point,” Raven concurred monotonically as she hovered down to join them. “Why would the Justice League still keep the Watchtower such a closely-guarded secret despite greatly expanding their ranks?”

“See? I’m not the only one who thinks this is fishy. We’re recognized as official affiliates to the League and yet we’re still treated like we’re outsiders! It's like we're still kids! This doesn’t make any sense!”

Dick let out a sigh and looked at his concerned colleague and friend. As much as he hated to admit it, Conner had a point. Even Bruce never told him about the Watchtower until he set out on his own. For the longest time, he believed the Hall of Justice back on Earth was the real headquarters for the JLA. It wasn’t until he founded the original Teen Titans with Aqualad, Speedy, and Kid Flash that they learned the truth. Even now, it was hard to believe a facility like this was kept such a closely guarded secret. But since the League had been expanding so much recently, the former Robin believed the Watchtower wasn’t going to be much of a secret for long.

“We’ll have time for that later,” Nightwing finally said, a smile on his face again as he looked at his team. “In the meantime, Cyborg’s waiting for us. I’m sure he’s--”

Alarms went off suddenly, cutting off what Nightwing was going to say next. “All hands be advised,” The voice of J’onn J’onnz declared over the blaring klaxons and warnings. “There has been a security breach in the Central Hub! Be on the lookout for seven unidentified costumed intruders! First response teams are ordered to bring the targets in for further questioning! I repeat! All hands be advised! There has been a security breach in the Central Hub!”

“It appears we are not the only ones visiting the Watchtower today,” Starfire observed. “Should we offer our assistance?”

“Well duh! Why shouldn’t we?” Beast Boy exclaimed, a wide and toothy grin on his face. “It’ll be way better than a boring tour! Let’s do it!”

“I might not share Beast Boy’s enthusiasm on this,” Raven added. “But we should help regardless. Cyborg’s work could be at stake.”

All eyes then turned to Superboy, who appeared to have a disgruntled scowl on his face. He didn’t want to be here for too long. Despite this, he gave a stern nod of acknowledgement to his team. He was on board.

Nightwing smiled as the rest of his team seemed to come to a unanimous agreement with their alien ally. With no further objections, Nightwing pressed his finger to the comm unit in his ear. “J’onn? It’s Nightwing. What can we do to help?”


Twilight stumbled out from the darkness and into the giant room. She caught herself as she hit the cold metal floor and got up slowly. Her head spun and she panted heavily. She turned her head just to see shadowy remnants of the wisp twist away into the air. She turned back and looked down, her eyes transfixed on her gloved hands. Each finger twitched and flicked. Her eyes were wide in amazement as she mentally commanded each digit into a closed fist and opened them again into a palm. Small purple sparks danced between her fingers as she uncurled them. Fascinating, she thought. This world appeared to have magic of its own.

She lifted her head and looked up again. A large glass view port towered above her. The bookish princess approached the display, her jaw agape. Stars dotted the blackened void of space while a giant spherical planet slowly rotated below it all. A brilliant golden sun shone brightly in the distance and gave light to the blue planet below. It reminded Twilight of Celestia’s sun. The glowing orb of light slowly peeked over the horizon and cast its radiant rays on the planet below. She remained transfixed on the majestic sight, unaware that she was not alone.

“You’re not supposed to be here,” a haunting voice echoed. “Unauthorized access to the Watchtower is strictly prohibited. Surrender yourself now and you will not be harmed.”

A bird cloaked in dark black manifested itself behind Twilight. The voice alone was enough to make her shiver, but this creature of the blackened abyss almost made her tremble. Despite this, Twilight spun around on her heel and backed up defensively, her back against the view port.

“I won’t say it again,” Raven said as she emerged from the avian-shaped silhouette. “ Don’t make this harder than it already is.”

Twilight took a step back as the hooded empath warned her. “W-wait,” she responded, her hands raised defensively. “I… I can explain…”

Twilight would feel a cold hand grab her wrist. She could see the pale girl’s authoritative demeanor behind her neutral face. “You’ll have plenty of time to explain once you turn yourself in. Your friends are being rounded up as we speak--”

Twilight gasped as soon as Raven grabbed her wrist. Her eyes widened. There was a twinkle in her pupils and her world began to spin out of control. Her mind was assaulted with various images that seemed to come one after the other-- the defeat of Nightmare Moon, returning Discord to stone, and her transformation into an alicorn. Between all of this, Twilight saw memories that weren’t even her own. She saw a giant, horned demon, glaring down at a destroyed city with a menacing four-eyed gaze. That vision was swiftly swallowed by the blackened shadow of a giant bird, a raven. A green inferno then coated the bird, lighting it in an eerie emerald blaze. The burning bird stretched its wings outward, seemingly unaware that it was even on fire.

Everything suddenly went black shortly after. Twilight heard a voice cut through the darkness. It echoed in a haunting and raspy tone. She recognized the voice. It was the voice from the mirror!

“Awaken, Twilight Raven," the Spectre commanded. “The magic of our universe is now yours to command. Now go, save your friends before it is too late!”

"M-my friends?" Were they in danger right now? Where were they? If the Spectre was right, then she needed to do something! The world returned to Twilight in a bright flash of purple. Raven was launched backwards by the force of the explosion, not expecting such a blast of magic to force her back. Fortunately, she caught herself before she made impact with the far wall. She now hovered a few feet off the ground, her eyes like daggers as the two stared each other down.

“Stay… away… from... my… friends!” Twilight said slowly, her palms glowing an intense purple as she stared up at this blue-hooded mage.

Raven simply scowled at her and gently floated back down. Her own hands were now shrouded by darkened black aura as her eyes began to glow an eerie white. She was out of control. She had to be stopped. “If you won't surrender peacefully, then you leave me no choice. You just sealed your fate.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Sorry for the sudden hiatus! Life was in the way so I couldn't get this chapter out when I wanted it to. Fortunately, I've cleared things up, so hopefully things are going to get back on track. I'll try to post on a more regular basis, I promise!

Now, this chapter was rather troublesome for me. Part of the reason why it took so long was just me struggling with the last bit between Twilight and Raven. I can do a misunderstanding fight like everyone else, but given the nature of these two characters in particular, it was easier said than done. I'm not exactly satisfied with how it turned out, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Anyway! Next time on Among Gods, fighting accelerates, potentials are unlocked, and understandings are reached! What else is next for our intrepid group of ponies (and dragon)? Find out next time in Among Gods!

- Grave