• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 2,206 Views, 45 Comments

Angel - Sage Runner



When Fluttershy went to bed last night, the last thing she expected was to wake up and find that her faithful, if not obnoxious pet rabbit would be replaced by a grown stallion in a bunny suit. Inspired by the television series Wilfred.

  • ...
2
 45
 2,206

Dragon Quest

"Well, now," said young Thunderhooves, joining the stallion at the edge of the cliff overlooking the desert, "it seems my tribe has reached an agreement."

"Yeah?" asked the stallion.

"Nobody likes you."

"Ouch," he said, laughingly.

"Thanks in no small part to your attitude, but you are my friend, and the chief is my father, so you are hereby recognized as an honorary member of our tribe," Thunderhooves replied.

"I really don't see why you went to the trouble, mate," the stallion replied. "It's not like I'm looking to make a home here, I just felt like stampeding with you for a few days."

"And that act alone is what made you a candidate. It is a great honor, even if you do not live among us. It means you have a family, and a place to return to should you ever desire."

"Right, I'm getting all warm and fuzzy over it."

"As such, the time has come for me to bestow upon you a tribal name."

"The name I've got ain't good enough?" the stallion asked.

"I didn't say that," Thunderhooves replied defensively, "but this is tradition. Your tribal name must tell a story, your story. However, I cannot give you one until I know your story. Will you share it with me at last?"

"Well, let's see," the stallion said, thinking, "my parents and their parents hopped on a boat from the Old Country, looking for a better life."

"The Old Country?" Thunderhooves asked.

"Right, forgot that's just what us ponies call it. You might know it as the Divided Three, the old nation from which the six founders of Equestria came."

"Ah yes, a land that never fully recovered from the reign of the Windigos, correct?"

"Right," the stallion replied. "Well, it certainly ain't easy to make a living over there, I'm told, so my family decided to move to Equestria. I was born during the trip, shortly before the ship was attacked by pirates and destroyed. Only survivors aboard the whole ship were my father, my grandfather, and me. Rest of my grandparents, and my mother, they weren't so lucky."

"My condolences," Thunderhooves said sincerely.

"Not like I remember it," he replied distantly, "or them. Anyway, the two of them, yours truly in tow, clung to the wreckage and were eventually rescued. We wound up arriving in Equestria only slightly behind schedule, believe it or not, though thanks to those pirates, with almost no money."

"I see," Thunderhooves replied.

"So naturally one of my first memories is of my father taking off, saying he's gonna make it big and come back for me and his dad. Suffice it to say, I never heard from the bastard again. So my grandfather raised me, and we got by well enough. I never quite fit in with the other colts in town, they always used to tease me about my Old Country accent. Fillies loved it, though," He grinned as he said this. "But when I was ten, so that was... I'm nineteen now, eleven years ago."

"Nine years ago," Thunderhooves corrected him, raising an eyebrow.

"Whatever," the stallion replied dismissively. "My grandfather passed, leaving me with nothing, so I skipped town and didn't look back. Been travelling ever since, searching for fame, fortune, and the companionship of the fairer sex." He had to decided omit the detail of acquiring that middle one by taking it from the inattentive.

"Is that truly what you seek?" Thunderhooves asked, already assuming it wasn't.

"I know where you're going with this, so don't bother. Yes, that is all I seek," the stallion replied, his voice lacking confidence, "so make with the tribal name already."

"From this day forward, you shall be known among the buffalo as No-Moss," Thunderhooves replied.

"Like the old saying," the stallion grinned. "Though I think 'Rolling Stone' would sound tougher."

"It would," Thunderhooves agreed, "but it's taken."

"Bummer."

"When you depart from our camp," Thunderhooves said, a more serious tone in his voice, "and continue your quest, always remember this: There is at least one place in this world in which you do belong, No-Moss!"

Angel awoke to the site of the rising sun peering over the bottom of the window sill. "My subconscious is a dick," he said groggily.

...

"Look, Fluttershy," Rainbow Dash said angrily, "I watched that boring butterfly migration with you, so now it's your turn to watch the dragon migration with me! You owe me!"

"I... said... NO!" Fluttershy shouted in response as she knocked Rainbow Dash to the ground and escaped through the window of her cottage.

"Oh shit!" Angel said, laughing. "That one was totally called for! Mum, wait up!"

"I do feel bad about pushing Rainbow like that," Fluttershy said as she trotted away from the cottage.

"Don't need to explain yourself to me," Angel said. "I'm the last pony that'll blame ya. So what are we gonna do today instead of seeing the migration?"

"Hiding from the migration," Fluttershy said. "Zecora's taking a census of the animals living in her area of the Everfree Forest, and I told her I'd help her with it."

"Sounds like a plan," Angel said happily.

"If you want to see the migration, I don't want to stop you," Fluttershy added.

"Nah, You see one dragon, you've seen 'em all. And I've seen one and a half. Well, one and one hundredth."

"You're still making fun of Spike's size after his birthday incident?"

"I'll admit," Angel said, "that was pretty terrifying. But he couldn't even rampage through the town right, one look at a shiny object and he distracts himself into aging backwards. And then you had to keep him from falling to his death."

"So?"

"So Spike gained and lost my respect that day, broke even," Angel replied as Fluttershy shook her head.

Suddenly, a loud crash came echoing through the forest, shaking the very ground on which they stood, followed by a shriek of pain. "Oh my goodness, it sounds like somepony's hurt!" Fluttershy cried as they ran towards the direction of the scream. Both Angel and Fluttershy gasped as they came upon the source of the commotion. Before them, sprawled atop several fallen trees, was a medium sized dragon, roughly three times the size of a pony, with bright yellow scales. Its eyes were scrunched shut and its teeth were bared. Its breathing sounded very labored.

"A d...d...dragon!?" Fluttershy said in shock, instinctively taking a few steps back.

"Looks like he's hurt pretty bad, mum," Angel said. "Seems to have some broken bones, must've hit the ground hard. I suppose you'll want to help him then?"

"Help!?" Fluttershy said, before she regained her composure. "Well, I don't know all that much about dragons, but I'll try!"

"If you don't know all that much about dragons, you shouldn't try to do this yourself," Angel replied. "We should continue on to Zecora's place, I think she knows a thing or two."

"Good idea, Angel Bunny!" Fluttershy replied. "You stay here and keep an eye on him, I'll go get Zecora!"

"Wait, mum, I didn't mean-" but she had already run off. "So..." Angel said, turning to the dragon, "conscious? No? Great, I'll just sit here then."

...

"You..." the dragon whispered, as Angel turned to see that its eyes had opened, "get over here so I can eat you."

"Right, well, I'm Angel, and it's nice to meet you, too," Angel replied, unfazed.

"What's that?" the dragon asked. "I can't hear too well, come closer..."

"You understand me, then?"

"You're a pony who speaks the common tongue, same as me, why wouldn't I?" the dragon asked in response.

"Interesting. Well anyway, no, I won't be doing what you just said. Just sit tight until my mum comes back with help, tough guy."

"Moment she comes near me? Totally eaten," the dragon replied.

"And now you've crossed a line," Angel said calmly, standing up. "I know I don't look like much, but here in the Everfree Forest, if you push my buttons, make no mistake, I will ruin your shit."

"Bring it on, Guardian!" the beast roared, descending into a fit of painful coughs.

"You know about us?"

"Of course, I'm a hundred years old. Not the first time I've been in the Everfree Forest, not the first time I've met a Guardian."

"So you know that you're badly injured, and you know that I'm a Guardian, but you're still trying to start a fight. You are not a smart dragon," Angel said.

"And you're not a smart Guardian, ya little pissant!" the dragon retorted. "This is your only chance to beat me. Once I've recovered, you won't get another shot. Don't forget, I'm your enemy."

"I don't get you," Angel said, before it dawned on him. "That's what this is... you want to die."

"I take it back," the dragon replied, "you are a smart Guardian. Now do your worst."

"No dice, mate," Angel replied. "Not my style, not worth my effort. All that nonsense about eating ponies that are willing to help you, I don't buy it. You overplayed your hand in trying to provoke me, plain and simple."

"Wasn't nonsense," the dragon replied. "I despise you ponies. I won't accept any help from your kind save for the sweet release of death."

"Well, despite my appearance, I haven't been a pony for quite some time," Angel replied, "so why don't you tell me what your deal is, y'know, between us non-ponies?"

"I'm not the one with a deal," the dragon replied. "It's the ponies."

"Do tell."

"I'm not gonna spill my guts to appease your passing curiosity, pissant."

"Then let's start with an easy one," Angel said. "What's your name?"

"Don't have one."

"Bullshit," Angel said, "every dragon is given a tough sounding name, even the ones that aren't actually tough, now let's hear yours."

"There needs to be someone who can give the dragon a name for him to have one," the dragon replied. "So I don't have one."

"A lone wolf, eh? I can respect that."

"Don't patronize me, pissant," the dragon replied angrily, coughing in pain again.

"Not a lifestyle choice then, I take it?"

"Since you care so much, I'll break this down for you. I don't know where I came from," the dragon replied, sounding annoyed at the constant questions. "I hatched in the Divided Three, and when I was an baby, I was taken in and raised by a stray pack of wolves."

"Raised by wolves?" Angel asked. "That's rather cliché. And cool as shit."

"Didn't last long," the dragon replied, "after the first two years, I was already bigger than they were. They perceived me as a threat, and attacked. I escaped, but was on my last leg."

"Terrible," Angel said, "just terrible. How did you survive?"

"It was a pony who found me, treated my wounds. Not just that, she taught me how to speak, how to survive. How to keep myself hidden."

"Keep yourself hidden?"

"Dragons are feared in the Divided Three. In Equestria they're regarded as a rare phenomenon, in the Three, they are considered to be an abomination that is to be exterminated."

"I didn't know that," Angel said. "So this pony, she didn't give you a name?"

"She said she wanted to wait, to think long and hard about what she would call me, to ensure that she gave me the best name possible. Before that happened, her people discovered that she had been raising a dragon. It was a crime that was punishable by death."

"And you?" Angel asked, a grim look on his face.

"I had recovered by then, and while I couldn't save her, I had gotten strong. I decided that their crime was punishable by death, too."

"Guess I can't blame you for that," Angel replied sadly. "Not that I condone violence, but it doesn't sound like you were left with much choice but to defend yourself."

"And that would become the standard by which I lived my life. Never accepted by ponies for being a dragon who had already acted out against them, never accepted by dragons because I 'stank of equine', as they put it."

"So it's not so much that you despise ponies," Angel began.

"I despise everyone," the dragon replied.

"Something tells me you didn't stop making an effort," Angel said. "You crashed here from the Great Dragon Migration, didn't you?"

"I did," the dragon replied. "I followed them in hopes of finding my kin, parents, siblings, distant relatives, anyone who shared a bloodline with me. My last chance for companionship, last chance to find a home. But the other dragons in the Migration, they didn't take to kindly to me being there, and after a few hours of flying, I was rejected. I spent too much time surrounded by other creatures, and I didn't understand them, and they didn't understand me."

"Still," Angel said, "attacking you? There's no justification for doing that."

"I might have called one of them a narrow-minded, smoke-blowing, literal asshole," the dragon said, sounding embarrassed.

"Nice!" Angel laughed. As he did, the dragon began to laugh as well, before wincing in pain. Then its face became angry again.

"Look at me, sharing a laugh with a creature that I hate," the dragon said melodramatically. "Have I no pride?"

"Oh, cut the shit," Angel said. "You were just unlucky enough to meet a string of assholes, but not everyone wants to be your enemy."

"That right? You saying you're different, pissant?" the dragon said skeptically.

"If there's one thing my mum's taught me, it's the importance of kindness, and friendship. Nopony is an island, as they say, and I guess the same can be said for dragons, too."

"And you, who's had someone in his life all this time, knows what about loneliness, exactly?" the dragon asked him, raising its brow.

"From what I gather about my past life," Angel replied, "I was a very lonely man, a man who scoffed at the idea of companionship. Treated the few friendships I did have like some kind of ironic joke. In fact I'd say I know the pain of solitude better than you, as I came to a rather nasty end because of it."

"Did you have a name?" the dragon said.

"Two, actually, that I know of," Angel replied.

"Then you weren't really alone, were you? You were at least offered a home, creatures to call a family, and you rejected them, didn't you?"

"I suppose I did..."

"I, on the other hand, was the one who was rejected, the one who was never named, the one who had no family. And it's brought me to a rather nasty end as well."

"What are you talking about?" Angel asked.

"I'm pretty messed up, here, and my time is running out. I was trying to piss you off earlier so you'd take me out fast, but the slow death's just about run its course too, so thanks for that, pissant."

"Crap," Angel said urgently. "Look, my mum should be back soon, like within minutes, just hang on a bit longer."

"Why?" the dragon asked.

"Because we'll give you a name," Angel protested, "and I've got a nice family that I know will accept you. There are lots of ponies in the town of Ponyville, just outside the forest. My mum's great, and her five friends are alright, and they've already welcomed one dragon into their family."

"That right?" the dragon smiled. "Well that's good to hear. I hope that one has a better life than I did."

"Yeah, jury's still out on that one," Angel muttered as the dragon looked at him quizzically, "but that's not the point. The point is, your life's not over either, mate. So muster up all the strength you can, and hang on for a few more minutes!" The dragon began laughing uncontrollably before descending into another coughing fit.

"I wouldn't have guessed," he said softly, his eyes growing heavy, "that here, at the end, I would find someone who cared about me. Ain't that a kick in the ass. Bummer that I won't be able to meet your family, pissant. If they're anything like you, they'd be alright. 'Least you're here."

"Okay seriously? If you die I'm gonna be super-pissed!" Angel said.

"Then be pissed, for all I care," the dragon smiled weakly, his breathing becoming far more labored. "But do me this one favor, and give me a name."

"Damnit!" Angel hissed as tears began to form in his eyes. "Fine. I have a name for you."

"Yeah?" the dragon whispered hopefully.

"Your name is Rolling Stone," Angel said, bowing his head.

"Rolling Stone... I like it, sounds tough," Rolling Stone said.

"Yeah," Angel replied sadly.

"Goodbye, Angel..." said Rolling Stone, as he closed his eyes for the last time.

"Goodbye, my friend."

...

"I'm so sorry, Angel," Fluttershy said through tears, having learned of the conversation between Angel and Rolling Stone. "I'm sorry we weren't quick enough."

"No matter how fast we may have run," Zecora said as she walked over to them, having finished evaluating Rolling Stone's injuries, "there is nothing that we could have done." Though they had to work all through the night, they gave the fallen dragon a proper burial, and eventually Zecora would mark the site with a headstone bearing his name. Fluttershy and Angel returned to the cottage in silence. Once they had reached their home, Angel abruptly embraced Fluttershy.

"What's that for?" she asked lovingly, returning the hug.

"Everything," Angel replied simply. "It's for everything, mum."