• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 2,385 Views, 5 Comments

Hurricane Hearts - Akashic Brony



By a fluke of fate, Rainbow Dash crash-lands in the classical era. Now she meets her hero, Commander Hurricane. Will she succumb to the wiles of the “Weather Warlord?” What lies in the center of the storm?

  • ...
7
 5
 2,385

Chapter 1

Before harmony, hatred moved hearts, and wicked were the winds of war. Foes with noble names and equal dignity fought for dominion over all others. It was the era of the three tribes, the three kingdoms. It was a time of heroes.

The field was split. Trenches carved the ground into three camps. The eastern horizon glowed with the magical war preparations of the Unicorn Kingdom. To the southern reaches, Earth-Pony siege towers stood ominously tall. Finally, to the westward winds, Pegasus troops hovered in formations which dotted the sky.

Clad in sleek ebony barding, the Commander stood as staunch as a statue, the rain dripping from his white mane onto his helmet and down the stone features of his muzzle. He was young of body and old of mind—war had worked him weary that way—and his fur was cool-blue, contrary to the fire in his spirit.

His eyes scanned the array of Pegasi under his command and pride quietly swelled in his chest. They were his troops, the veterans of a hundred battles. He had no doubt that should he ask them to fly to Tartarus itself, they would gladly comply.

From the ranks of lance-wielding Pegasi, Private Pansy looked at her leader. She was his banner bearer and, instead of a lance, she held in her hooves the army’s flagstaff. Her role was marginal, yet vital to the army’s morale. She was a non-combatant—a symbol and luxury. The army was her guardian. The day might come that she would have to defend herself and her Commander, but by then it would already be too late to change the fate of her nation. If that day should have been today, she resolved to die in the last defense, if not for her honor, then for her Commander’s.

Yet, she had her doubts, and she voiced them. “Commander Hurricane, Earth-Pony siege engines are in place. Unicorn beam teams are in position. So great is their hate, they’ve made a temporary truce with each other just to fight us. And now, we’re moving into a kill zone.”

“Private Pansy, you doubt my amazing battle strategy?”

Due to her Commander’s pride, he was never a pony to give a direct answer. She loathed and loved him for it. She wished for an unfiltered moment of honesty between them, a moment in public without the address of title or rank. “No, Commander Hurricane.”

“Relax Pansy. I am not for nothing called the Weather Warlord. I will protect you.” His voice lacked the usual commanding tone he used when speaking to a lesser officer: it was consoling.

Private Pansy looked up.

“Who asked you, anyway?” Hurricane snorted.

There was her commander: relentless and headstrong. She smiled slightly at his rebuff, but frowned at the upcoming battle.

Commander Hurricane turned to the waiting wings of their battle formation. “Fly or die! Forward for glory!” Hurricane drew his sword and waved it.

The heavens wept at the advance of the armies and the coming slaughter.


Many, many years passed. By then, the heroes and events of the classical era were parodied as a parable encouraging foals to keep the peace. Robbed of the moment’s passions, the tales were now either a convenient fiction or a distorted truth; it was impossible to know which.

A play was being assembled piece by piece for performance. The stage and theater walls were covered with festive red and green decorations, signaling the annual Hearth’s Warming Eve celebration.

A beautiful, teal-colored Pegasus mare fidgeted in place as her costume-armor was fitted by another, yellow, pink-maned Pegasus mare. The teal mare’s mane contained within it the full spectrum of colors that light could project.

The yellow mare finished tying the last strap. “There you go, Rainbow. I hope it’s not too tight.”

“I’m glad we got new costumes,” said Rainbow Dash. “The old ones were wearing out.”

“This is our fifth production, isn’t it?”

“You betcha, Fluttershy. We’re getting better every year.”

“I’m glad you could take time from your Wonderbolt duties to join us.”

“No worries. I wouldn’t leave my friend hanging.”

Fluttershy moved off to help the other performers with their costumes. While the others readied themselves, Rainbow’s eyes focused intently on the lavender mare that was coordinating the entire proceedings. Floating beside her was her usual checklist.

Rainbow lost herself in thought, but her daydream was interrupted.

“Rainbow, are you ready to play your part?” asked the purple mare.

“Easy lemon squeezy. I got this, Twilight,” said Rainbow.

“Rainbow Dash—fun fact—did you know the armor you’re wearing is—?”

“—is a period-accurate rendition of the actual armor worn by Commander Hurricane during the battle of Agincolt, yes. I’m impressed they got the gold flourishes right.”

Twilight blinked in surprise. “Rainbow, I never knew you liked history.”

“It’s bleh for the most part, but any self-respecting Pegasus knows their own history. Commander Hurricane lost the battle of Agincolt. Not the proudest moment in Pegasus history. But this armor is still so cool!”

“You missed a detail, though,” said Twilight with a smirk.

“What’s that?” Rainbow raised a brow.

“The armor is the real deal! Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve!”

“Whoa.” Rainbow examined the battle dress. “This is, like, totally priceless. Daring Do would say it belongs in a museum.”

Daring Do and the Last Crusader?” asked Twilight wryly.

“You know it!” said Rainbow. “Twilight, how did you get a hold of this?”

“The Equestrian Archeological Society may have found that in a dig site. And I may funded and led that expedition last summer. The armor still has all its enchantments, some of which we don’t know how to make anymore. I only had to charge them back up. I added an extra enchantment that should protect against magical blasts. I’m not sure if it might conflict with the others, so we should test it out one of these days.”

“Yeah, this is feather light. Wonderbolts usually don’t go for heavy armor, but I could totally fight in this.”

“Spitfire will say it’s not uniform.”

“I’m a Captain now too, so she can cram it.”

The two friends chuckled. Friends. The word echoed through Rainbow’s mind. Could they be more?


The play concluded without a hitch. Everyone performed their parts perfectly. There was even a standing ovation. Afterward, members of the audience lingered to chat with the actors.

Twilight was hidden behind the half-opened curtains, talking to a stage director. Rainbow approached her.

“Hey, Twilight, could I speak to you?”

“Sure.” Twilight turned and smiled at her friend.

“In private,” said Rainbow, returning the smile.

The stage director grumbled a bit, then made a prompt exit.

“What did you want to talk about, Rainbow?” asked Twilight.

“This armor you gave me—it’s really nice. I love it.

“Sure as a Captain of the Wonderbolts, you’ll be protecting Equestria. So, I wanted something to protect you.” Twilight beamed.

Rainbow swallowed before speaking. She spoke in an uncharacteristically meek whisper that seemed more likely to come from Fluttershy. “Twilight, do you wanna maybe do something later on?”

“Like what? I have a whole list of things we should be doing right now.” Twilight used her magic to wave her checklist in front of Rainbow. “These props need to be moved out of the way. You could start with that sad-looking tree, for example.”

Rainbow chuckled. “Nah, Fluttershy’s fine where she is.”

Twilight giggled a bit at that, but pointed at her scroll decisively. Rainbow couldn’t exactly refuse; she relented and pushed the tree toward the rear of center stage. Twilight followed her and checked a box off the checklist.

“This good?” Rainbow asked director-Twilight, posing by the tree triumphantly.

“You’re... perfect. Now, tell me, what did you have in mind?”

“What I meant was, after we wrap things up here—you and me, we could—”

Twilight’s face flushed red. “Rainbow Dash, are you asking me out on a date?!” Twilight’s words of surprise boomed a little too loudly.

It was ill fortune then that a gray Pegasus accidentally drew open the curtains when she meant to close them. Suddenly, Rainbow and Twilight found themselves exposed and alone on stage with the blinding spotlight upon them.

The eyes of the entire remaining audience and stage cast focused on them with expectant stares. They were all waiting for Rainbow’s reply. Rainbow cringed as an older mare coughed indignantly. Greater embarrassment hit her when she noticed two Pegasi in uniforms among the audience. Rival Captain Spitfire and her lieutenant, Soarin, stood in the crowd giggling.

Rainbow’s face flushed. “Absolutely not. I mean, who could date an egghead like you? Two mares together, seriously?”

Tears sprung from Twilight’s eyes. “I thought you were different.” Twilight ran from the stage.

“Twilight! I didn’t mean that!”

Angry and confused looks from both the audience and her friends caused Rainbow to shrink back. She bolted to and through the window, shattering the glass.


Rainbow cried to herself in shame over her cowardice. She had let her pride and ego get in the way of sharing her feelings for the one she loved. More importantly, she let them hurt her friend. She wished the window’s glass had cut her; however, Twilight’s gift had protected Rainbow from even that little measure of punishment.

She flew harder and faster than she ever had before, maybe even more so than when she saved her friends from plummeting to their deaths that day at the Best Young Flier Competition. With the cold wind against her and the sky crackling, she sped on, seeking to disappear into the wintry white. But how could she escape herself? Perhaps with the insane speed she’d hit a wall and it would all be over.


The battle had become desperate. A hail of magical fireballs and ballista bolts rained upon the Pegasus troops. Yet bravely they flew onward, only to be swatted before even meeting the enemy lines.

From an overlooking hill, Commander Hurricane observed the battle through a telescope. He looked at the immobile Unicorn and Earth-Pony battle lines. United, both easily stood their ground.

“Curses!” Commander Hurricane spat. “They’re not taking the bait this time. If they sit on this battle, we’ll lose. Their artillery is making meat of us!”

“Commander, what can we do?” Private Pansy inquired.

“I’m going in to save the first wave. I’m the one target they won’t be able to resist.”

Pansy clung to her Commander’s leg. “No, Commander, you’ll die!”

“Let go of me this instant. You forget yourself, Private.” Commander Hurricane smacked Pansy in the face.

“No!” cried Pansy as she reeled back and collapsed in the mud.

“I’m sorry.” Commander Hurricane took the air with a single flap of his wings.

“You won’t make it! It’s too late.”

The commander gave her a last solemn look before heading off. “I know.”


With a thundering boom, the empyrean opened and a splash of color rippled through the clouds and rain, washing away the gray. The soldiers temporarily stopped fighting, beholden to the beauty of the momentary distraction.

Rainbow opened her wet eyes. She was no longer in Equestria. At least not the Equestria she knew.

“Where am I?” she thought out loud.

Grays and browns covered the landscape scorched by an unknown fire. The source of the landscape’s devastation became clear as the peace was quickly ended by screaming balls of magical fire.

“Watch where you’re aiming those things!” shouted Rainbow, dodging the magic missile. Her eyes widened as she watched ballista bolts whiz past her.

She quickly flew away from the sources of the flying munitions.


On the Unicorn front, ponies stood within ethereal circles drawn into the ground. The mages concentrated their efforts, channeling their energy into giant gem-clusters that summoned massive fireballs. Using their levitation, they flung them at their enemies. The weaponized wisdom of the arcane arts was terrifying and wondrous to behold.

A stunning white mare with a blond mane watched as the flash appeared in the sky. She looked through a scope held in position by her assistant. She saw the teal Pegasus decked in black armor. He was a fearsome enemy, but she had to admit he was well-dressed.

“Commander Hurricane has taken to the field,” she said. “He’s performed some sort of weird spell.”

“Princess Platinum,” said her cloaked assistant, “it is act of desperation.”

Princess Platinum spoke urgently and dramatically: “No, Commander Hurricane would not take the field unless he’s certain of victory. We must stop him!”

“Starswirl the Bearded foretold that if we stay put during this battle, victory will come to us. It took me ages to convince the Earth Ponies to agree to this temporary truce.”

“Ha—Clover, you think you’re so clever, but I know Hurricane. He never takes the field unless he is certain of victory.”

Clover sighed, placing his hoof on her head. “Please, Princess Platinum, I implore you to listen.”

“Whose army is this?”

“That of your father, the Unicorn King Amethyst.”

The Princess snorted. “Yes, and who did he grant to be Marshal of his armies?”

“You.” Clover grew weary of the Princess’s need for attention.

“You who?”

“Princess Platinum.”

“Good. Advance. I care not for silly prophecy!”


From behind the Earth-Pony lines, enormous wooden siege towers with ballistas on every level fired bolts the size of many ponies. The towers were the instruments of the industry and ingenuity that were the hallmark of the Earth-Pony race. Heavily-muscled engineers heaved the pride of their race forward.

“The Unicorns are advancing!” cried a pink pony who paced urgently in circles. “They’re going to steal all the glory! I’ll lose the next election!”

“Chancellor Puddinghead, we should stay put and let them duke it out,” her assistant advised. “Or else we’ll only lose more troops. Also, we’ll be outside the protective cover of our artillery.”

“Smart Cookie, I was chosen by the people because of unconventional wisdom. You say stay, and I say we attack!”

Smart Cookie massaged her headache. “Who decided elected officials make good commander-in-chiefs?”

“Forward march! I’ll win the next election by a landslide with this victory!”


Rainbow deftly dodged the curtain of enemy missiles barelling toward her. Nevertheless, through sheer quantity, the enemy scored a lucky shot. Rainbow felt a ringing in her ears as the ballista bolt glanced her helmet. Stunned, she failed to see the massive fireball flying towards her. A black blur flew into her and caught her.

“Soldier, are you alright? Stay with me!”

Rainbow looked at her and blushed as she lay in his hooves. She recognized him immediately. He was the Pegasus hero of legend, Commander Hurricane.

Another curtain of ballista bolts flew at them. This time, they were unable to dodge them.

“Commander Hurricane!” cried Private Pansy from beside them. The Pegasus had two shields strapped to her. She blocked the bolts aimed at them.

“Retreat the center line!” shouted Commander Hurricane.


United yet moving separately, the Unicorn and Earth-Pony infantries rushed forward, attempting to surround the charging Pegasi from either side.

“Those winged rats are dead!” shouted Princess Platinum atop Clover’s back.

“My polls are going to be through the roof after this!” shouted Chancellor Puddinghead as Smart Cookie wheeled him forth in his war chariot.

Chaos ensued as the attack formations of the Unicorns and Earth Ponies collided with each other, the attempted pincer maneuver failing to clamp on to their fleeing foe.

Chancellor Puddinghead was sent flying into the mud as her chariot’s wheels locked.

“Clover, why have we stopped moving?!” shouted Princess Platinum.

“The mud,” said Clover.

“Smart Cookie, I need help!” said Chancellor Puddinghead.

“It was a trap!” said Smart Cookie, trying to dislodge her Chancellor.

“Commander Hurricane anticipated this,” said Clover. “That’s why they had it rain before the battle.”

Both armies tried to turn around. They slogged helplessly in the mud as Pegasus platoons charged at that them. Their fears dissipated as the Pegasi flew around them and into the distance. Not long after, while trapped in the mud, the Earth Ponies and Unicorns could only turn to watch as a new fear shot through them: the giant siege towers of the Earth Ponies were set aflame by pots of burning oil dropped by Pegasus fliers. Other Pegasi dropped stones which smashed the giant gems used to focus the magical artillery.


With Rainbow Dash still nestled on his forelegs, Commander Hurricane landed. Throngs of Pegasus soldiers cheered their return.

A soldier hopped up and down, greeting them enthusiastically: “Commander Hurricane, we’ve won the battle. The enemy siege machines are destroyed!”

“What was that aerial maneuver you performed?” another soldier asked. “It distracted the enemy enough we could back our forward fighters.”

Commander Hurricane’s voice thundered as he spoke. “My soldiers, I wish I could take credit. But this day was won by this soldier before us.” He wrapped a wing around Rainbow.

Rainbow’s own wings deployed proudly at that.

“Hail the hero of Agincolt!” The Pegasi troops lifted their lances and cheered for her.

“It really wasn’t a big deal,” she said, blushing at their praise.

“Young warrior, I do not know how you came by armor like mine, but you have saved us all,” said Commander Hurricane.

“Thanks, everypony.”

“Name a desire, and I shall see it granted,” continued Commander Hurricane. “Land, titles, or wealth—I can provide them.”

“I want to go home,” said Rainbow.

“Where is home?”

“A thousand years or so in the future.”

There a came a roar of laughter from the ranks. “Looks like she hit her head a little hard,” a pony called out from somewhere in the crowd.

“I’m serious,” said Rainbow.

“Get some rest, warrior,” said Hurricane, “then stop by my tent this evening.”


Commander Hurricane sat casually at a table covered in maps. Private Pansy stood at his side.

“Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh, you’re Commander Hurricane,” Rainbow squealed.

“Indeed, but I do not know you,” he said with a smile

“The name’s Rainbow Dash. I’m not sure how I got here.”

“I don’t trust her, sir,” said Private Pansy.

“Nonsense. For her actions, I shall make her a captain.”

Rainbow blushed. “I’m sorry. I’m already a Captain of the Wonderbolts. In my time, they’re the best fliers in all of Eques—er, nevermind. Thanks for the offer, though.”

“Wonderbolts? The only elite team of flyers are my Thunderbolts—of which I shall make you Captain.” Commander Hurricane pointed to the thunder strike crest on his armor.

Rainbow scratched her mane. “I’m just looking to get home. I think I’ve meddled enough.”

“Your aerial meaneuver—I have not seen anything like it.”

“You mean my Sonic Rainboom?” Rainbow boasted. “Buck yeah, it’s awesome.”

Commander Hurricane stamped his hoof on the table, smiling. “It’s more than that. From afar, it projects such power. Imagine close flybys. Weaponized, this technique could cut a swath through our foes. Join me, Rainbow Dash, and we shall conquer this land. Pegasi shall prevail over all others. It is our right of dominion.”

Rainbow backed away slowly. “Whoa,” she said, then spoke softly: “Not that I am being ungrateful for the offer, but I really must get back before I mess up history.”

“History could be ours.”

Rainbow blushed. “I’m really from the future. Sorry, it’s a sweet offer, but no. Honestly, I gotta get back.”

“Commander, she’s obviously insane,” said Private Pansy. “We don’t need someone like her.”

“Sleep on my offer,” said Commander Hurricane.

“It’s still going to be no,” said Rainbow firmly.


Rainbow Dash was led to a tent. She threw herself onto a bed and sprawled out her wings. Her moment’s rest was all too short, as she was soon interrupted by an expected visitor.

Rainbow sat up. “You’re persistent!” she said angrily.

Commander Hurricane removed his helm and a lustrous flowing white mane with dark streaks fell down. “Rainbow Dash, I want you—”

“What?!”

“—for my Thunderbolts,” finished Commander Hurricane.

Rainbow relaxed. She was all the more defenseless as Commander Hurricane kissed her. Despite his aggression, he was unbelievably tender and gentle. Rainbow found herself kissing him back. When the kiss was over, she was left panting and wanting more. He hugged her, wrapping his wings around her.

Rainbow pushed him back. “You jerk! That was not cool!” She smacked her hoof across Commander Hurricane’s face. “I said no. I am loyal to another.”

His tone immediately changed from suave to apologetic. “I am sorry. I did not know.”

“I would kill you if that didn’t mess up history. You think you can just seduce me like that?”

He bowed, touching the ground. His voice quaked. “Rainbow, you should know it was not for lust that I tried. In truth, I am also loyal to another. This pained me as much as it did you. Greater loyalty to my people bid me betray my love for this chance.”

“Wait, you were going to cheat on your own love just to convince me to fight for your cause?”

“The war between the three kingdoms bleeds all three races. In a hundred years, the balance has not shifted. Generations have been thrown into the interminable fires of this struggle. Your power could change that. There could be peace. I beg you to reconsider leaving with your talents, for the good of the Pegasus race!”

“War isn’t the answer.”

“Rainbow Dash, the fate of our people rests in your hooves.”


A chilly morning draft blew into Rainbow’s tent. Sleep did nothing to alleviate her mental and physical exhaustion. Still, her stomach grumbled and forced her awake with its hunger pangs. Rainbow walked through the Pegasus encampment. The Pegasus soldiers huddled together next to each for the warmth of faint fires. Rainbow shivered from the cold as well. Though there was no snow, she felt it: the winter of war.

“Live! Stay with me!”

She heard an outcry from a tent, which prompted her to investigate.

“No...” gasped the voice.

From within, a pony opened the tent flap. She had tears in her eyes and blood on her hooves. It was Private Pansy. Behind her, the body of a stallion was being sealed in a bag by Pegasus nurses.

Rainbow approached gingerly. “Did you know him?”

Private Pansy turned to face her. “No, I did not,” she said somberly. “Now, nopony else will.” She cleaned the red from her hooves in a wash basin. As Pansy departed, Rainbow felt compelled to follow.

“Hey, you don’t look like the fighter type,” said Rainbow.

“I’m a pacifist,” said Private Pansy, plodding on. “I hate war.”

Rainbow blinked incredulously. “Wait, then why do you follow Hurricane?”

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“He’s passionate, and compassionate. What, or who, do you care for in the same way?”

Rainbow gazed at the ground in shame.

Private Pansy resumed. “He wants to end the war.”

“What, with more war?”

Pansy paused. “I don’t know.”

“Maybe you could push for peace between the three tribes,” Rainbow urged. “Come on, someone might listen.”

“That’s a daydream. Commander Hurricane is set in his ways.”

“Okay, then why support the guy?”


They were interrupted as a commotion swept the camp. The dreary, downtrodden faces of the camp soldiers lit up. There was a call to attention throughout the camp. All Pegasi gathered to see.

Huzzah!

We’ve done it!

Rainbow and Pansy took to the air to see above the tall soldiers. A squad of Pegasi dragged a cloaked figure by a rope. It was a purple unicorn.

“Twili—!” Rainbow started to gasp, but immediately stopped herself. Upon closer inspection, the pony in question looked to be a stallion that bared only a striking resemblance.

“Come one and all and behold the mighty Sorcerer!” the lead officer cried. He tugged the ropes tied to the unicorn, sending him into the mud.

“Not so clever now, huh, Clover?”

Gales of laughter roared through the crowds.

The officer dragged the unicorn by the ropes, bringing him to the center of the camp before Commander Hurricane.

“How was this one captured?” asked Commander Hurricane.

While tying the unicorn to a tent pole in the center of the camp, the officer replied: “The mage thought we’d be fooled by an invisibility charm; however, the fog and morning mist betrayed his form.”

Hurricane chuckled. “Soldiers! This is a glorious day. Here before us is the true power behind the Unicorn Kingdom: the scheming advisor of Princess Platinum! Clover’s stratagems and gambits have been the bane of the Pegasi People! How say we judge this menace?!”

Clover did not look up as jeers and cheers came from the crowd.

“Boiling oil!”

“Tickle torture!” The unconventional suggestion turned heads. “With swords!”

“Yeah!” cried a muscle-bound Pegasus soldier.

“Death by impalement!”

“Flay the mage alive!”

Crueler suggestions were offered in rapid succession. Rainbow moved away from the crowd of soldiers in disgust. She flew and landed in front of Commander Hurricane.

“Commander Hurricane, torture is not cool! It’s against the Universal Rights of Ponies. Clover is a prisoner of war.”

“Universal what?”

Rainbow grimaced at his confusion. “Can you call yourselves just and true if you guys just beat on the helpless?”

Pansy flew beside Rainbow. “She’s right. We should be ashamed of ourselves. We ought not behave so cruelly.”

Rainbow nodded. The soldiers lowered their heads.

“Then, Clover will be put death in the morning,” Hurricane commanded. “Quickly and painlessly by guillotine. The mage’s head will adorn our flagstaff as a trophy!”

Rainbow scowled at him. “Wait, that’s not right either,” she said. Her words were drowned out by the cheers from the ranks.


Rainbow entered Hurricane’s tent. She was surprised when Pansy breezed by her and stood in front of the Commander. Rainbow remained by the entrance and listened.

“Permission to speak freely, sir,” said Pansy.

Commander Hurricane spoke softly. “Private Pansy, you don’t have to address me formally when we’re in my tent.”

“Permission to speak freely, sir,” Pansy reiterated sternly.

He stiffened. “Permission granted.”

“Might we hold Clover hostage, or rather, ransom him back?”

“Pansy, here heralds possibly the end of the Unicorn Kingdom’s challenge for dominion. Clover the Clever is the strategist that brought us such humiliations as the Battle for Unicorn Horn. That mage is too dangerous to be left alive.”

Pansy shrunk back, sighing. “I know. I’m just saying. I can’t argue with you.”

“If you can’t argue, I can.” Rainbow stepped in.

Commander Hurricane greet Rainbow cautiously. “Hero of Agincolt.”

“I’m no hero. You’re just going to kill your enemy?” asked Rainbow.

“That is typically what one does to their enemies.”

“Argh, this isn’t what was supposed to happen.” Rainbow recalled her history lessons. She gasped in realization. “No, this is wrong. You were supposed to lose the battle of Agincolt. It was supposed to humble you into a direction of peace. And I wasn’t supposed to be there... here.”

“Yet, you are, and we are victorious. What is there to complain about? The Pegasus race is all the better for it.”

“You can’t kill Clover the Clever. That will end hope for peace between the three kingdoms. You’re changing history.”

“This history or destiny you speak of—I remember signing no contract that says I must adhere to it. Indeed, there will be peace, under the wings of the Pegasus race. I am Commander Hurricane, the Weather Warlord. The winds are mine to command.”

“Come on, I’m begging here. Don’t do this!”

“Very well, join me then. I shall let Princess Platinum have her brain back if you will let me have your wings.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Then we have nothing more to discuss.”

Rainbow huffed and stormed off.


Pansy followed Rainbow.

“You’re for peace as well?” said Pansy.

“Yeah,” said Rainbow. “Listen, Private Pansy, I know it hard to believe, but I’m really from the future. This is very, very important. Clover the Clever has got to live for there to be peace. She was—I mean, she is—a major advocate for unification.”

“This is crazy. How can you be from the future?”

“I don’t know, but I am.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Tonight, I’m going to break Clover out.” Rainbow reared up and smacked her hooves together.

“You can’t act against the Commander alone.”

“You’re not stopping me,” said Rainbow. “Trust me, this is for the better. The balance of the three tribes is totally crucial.”

“No, I mean, let me join you. Commander Hurricane won’t punish me too hard.”


Alone in the darkness of the star-filled night, tied to a tent pole, Clover sniffled and muttered to himself: “I knew I shouldn’t have scouted alone. Why did I listen to Princess Platinum? Why do I care for that spoiled mare?” He paced back and forth for hours, unable to sleep, until two Pegasi mares appeared.

Rainbow and Pansy stood together in front of him. Rainbow was again temporarily fooled by Clover’s similarity to Twilight. She approached the unicorn with a knife in her mouth.

“Can’t wait till morning to kill me?” Clover asked.

“No, we’re cutting you free,” said Rainbow as she began to slice through the heavy rope.

Clover’s eyes lit up. “I remember. You two spoke out against torturing me. I have never known such compassion from the Pegasi. Who are you?” asked Clover.

“Friends,” said Pansy kindly.

“I have friends in the Griffin Kingdoms, and even with the Earth Ponies, but I do not recall having friends among the Pegasi.”

“Let us be the first. I’m Rainbow.”

“I’m Private Pansy.”

Rainbow cut through the last of the rope. Clover stretched his legs and nodded to them appreciatively. “I’m Clover. I will not forget this, though I know not how to repay thee.”

“You don’t have to do anything for us,” said Rainbow. “Just think peaceful thoughts.”

“Perhaps if there are other like-minded Pegasi amongst you, there may be peace in our time,” said Clover.

Pansy placed a piece of fabric in front of Clover. “Here’s your invisibility cloak. Go.”

“Thank you... friends.” They could hear the faint clop of hoof-steps as Clover galloped into the night.

Rainbow and Pansy looked at each other for a moment, and turned to leave. Just then, Commander Hurricane stepped forward from the shadows.

“I trust every soldier in this camp with my life,” said Hurricane. “Leaving a prisoner tied and unguarded in the middle of my camp was a sign of that trust. I see two traitors before me, and that I have been a foal.”

“Commander Hurricane, the path to peace begins with a single act of mercy,” said Pansy.

“I thought I might have to endure treason from her”—Hurricane shot Rainbow a glare—“but you wound me, Private Pansy.”

“I pushed her into it,” said Rainbow. “You can place all the blame on me.”

“No, it was my decision to come along,” said Pansy. “I will own the consequences.”

The Commander lifted a brow. “You truly believe in this foolish fairy tale of future peace?”

Pansy nodded. “Yes, I do.”

Hurricane shook as he spoke. “Pansy, it is law that you must be put to death for your actions.”

“I accept,” said Pansy tearfully. “I have always accepted.” There seemed to be a hidden significance behind Pansy’s words, as Commander Hurricane was reduced to tears.

“I don’t,” said Commander Hurricane. He touched his hoof lifting Pansy’s chin. “I... I will forget this transgression.”

“Commander,” Pansy said unsteadily, her eyes glistening with tears of her own.

Hurricane turned to Rainbow. “I cannot deny your contribution in the battle nor can I ignore this flagrant act of defiance.” Hurricane relaxed his gaze. “Understand that I can no longer welcome you into my ranks; it is then that I must command you take leave of us as soon as you are able.”

“I understand,” replied Rainbow.

“I owed you for saving my troops at Agincolt. That debt is now repaid.


Rainbow plopped herself down in the bed of her tent. As she lay there, her thoughts turned inward. She thought of Clover’s likeness and Twilight.

“Twilight,” she murmured, “why couldn’t you be a stallion? And why should it matter to me?” She stuffed her face into her pillow. “Twilight, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” While lost in thought, she drifted off into an uncomfortable slumber.


Rainbow awoke upon a mattress of clouds. She yawned, stretching her limbs.

“Rainbow, you ready?” said a gentle voice from behind.

“For what?”

“My flight lesson, teacher.”

Rainbow turned around. “Twilight?”

“Who else?” said the lavender mare. “We’ve been at this for a whole month.”

“Wait, I’m in Equestria?”

Twilight giggled cutely. “Where else, silly?”

“I was dreaming. It was so vivid. No, maybe this is the dream.”

Twilight smiled. “An eastern sage once dreamed he was a butterfly. When he awoke he wondered if he was the butterfly’s dream instead.”

Rainbow spoke softly to herself. “You told me that once...”

Twilight flapped her wings. “Come fly with me, Rainbow!”

Rainbow surrendered her mind’s opposition as she saw Twilight’s lithe body glide through the heavens. She promptly joined her companion. Soaring through the boundless skies the Pegasus and Alicorn danced. Rainbow caught up to Twilight and they flew alongside one another.

“Twilight,” she called out, “I don’t care if this is a memory, dream, or whatever. I’m just happy to be here, with you.”

Twilight’s wings suddenly became stiff.

“Wing cramp!” Rainbow cried, recognizing the condition.

“Save me!” Twilight began falling. Rainbow plummeted after her through the clouds. When Rainbow reached the clear sky below, Twilight was nowhere to be found.


The clouds darkened. Rainbow flapped her wings furiously to slow her descent. She landed on the ground with a thud. After dusting herself off, she looked around her and saw a gray version of Ponyville which was a definite contrast to her technicolor mane.

“Definitely a dream,” said Rainbow.

The sounds of distant crying entered her ears.

Rainbow forgot all about the idea that this was probably a dream. “Somepony needs my help!” she said as she followed the low sobs.

Rainbow reached a familiar building. The tree library seemed utterly demonic. Its windows were dark pits that absorbed all light. The leaves were gone and branches stretched out like claws. She was tempted to turn around and fly away, but the sounds of crying continued. She pushed open the door and entered.

Huddled to herself, in the center of the lonely library, was a purple mare with a mangled wing.

“Twilight?”

Twilight swung around, nearly swiping Rainbow with crutches she wore on her broken legs. “Why didn’t you save me?” An angry tear-filled face met Rainbow’s.

“No, I caught you that day. I saved you.”

“Why did you leave me?”

“I would never—”

“You never cared for me! Not enough to be there when it mattered!”

“No!”

The floor of the library melted away into a black tar. Rainbow tried to move towards Twilight; however, the floor pulled her under. As the tar overtook Rainbow, the last thing she saw was Twilight’s face turning away from her.


Rainbow threw off her blanket. “Twilight!” She jumped from her bed, falling to the cold dirt ground. “Just a dream.”

Rainbow groaned as her wing muscles ached from her poor sleeping position. She stretched her wings and flew around the camp. Snow was falling around her in small white specks, making visibility low and the surroundings dark. Now, only small torches lit up the camp. Rainbow beat her wings harder to keep warm.

In her wandering, she found herself at the war tent of Commander Hurricane. She entered the tent to find Private Pansy helping unstrap Commander Hurricane’s armor. Instantly, she stepped back outside without being noticed. With a devious smirk, she slowly tucked her head back into the tent flap.

She noticed something immediately wrong. It wasn’t even that Pansy was kissing Hurricane. Missing on Commander Hurricane’s perfectly toned body was a little bit of anatomy.

“You’re a mare?” Rainbow gasped aloud. “I’ll just be going now.”

Both Pansy and Hurricane swung immediately towards Rainbow.

Hurricane covered up her body with her hooves. “Private Pansy, seize her!”

Rainbow ran into another tent. She was tackled to the ground.

“Please understand Rainbow, you mustn’t tell anyone,” said Pansy.

“But I don’t understand,” said Rainbow.

“I know Commander Hurricane’s a mare,” said Pansy. “Mare to mare love is taboo, not to mention the difference in our rank. So what? I love her. I don’t care if it will never come to history’s light.”

“It’s taboo in your time?”

“Yes, Pegasus law is Spartan. A hundred years of war has made it that way. Any relationship that does not produce foals to be soldiers is illegal. Still, for her, I would suffer the death sentence a hundred times over. I have always accepted as much.”

“Doesn’t your Commander make the laws?”

“I know it is complicated. I dislike her public image immensely, but you don’t know her like I do.”

Rainbow eyed her skeptically. “Tell me.”

Pansy teared up. “She holds me close. In the heart of the Hurricane, there is calm and safety in the storm’s center.”

Commander Hurricane stepped forward from a shadowy corner of the tent, having overheard everything. She was wearing her armor, but her mental armor had been stripped. She wept openly, but managed a few words: “I could change the law, but I doubt I could change the culture in so short time. Maybe in a thousand years it will be different. Maybe in a time of peace and harmony.”

Rainbow snorted and stomped a hoof on the ground. “You’d keep her in the dark just to avoid embarrassment? That’s not cool.” She made her way to the tent entrance. “Maybe I should tell the entire camp right now that you’re a hypocrite, and that you’ve been lying to them.”

“No!” Private Pansy stepped in front of Hurricane. “Please don’t reveal us. It would destroy her.”

Commander Hurricane looked to Pansy. “Even now you defend me.”

“Okay, fine—my lips are sealed,” said Rainbow, looking intently at the Commander. “It’s up to you to say something. Which you should.”

Commander Hurricane bowed. “Thank you for your discretion.”

“I’m still angry that you’ve done nothing until this point. To Tartarus what other ponies think. You are Rain-” She corrected. “Hurricane. You are Commander Hurricane.” She realized she was half talking about herself. “If you truly love her, you should tell the world! Trading your ideals for safety and security isn’t worth it. I don’t know how, but you could fight for what’s right.”

“Rainbow Dash, I appreciate your words,” said Hurricane, a sliver of a smile creeping up on her face. “You are most enlightened. I now truly believe that you are from another time. Perhaps, then, you should return to your time with the lessons of this one.”

“Hey Commander Hurricane, we share the same element. If things were different, I think we could definitely make a most awesome couple.”

Hurricane nodded and smiled warmly as Rainbow left the tent and took to the air.


Rainbow streaked through the sky. Her wing muscles burn almost as hard as her wish.

“Please work!” She flew harder. The wind stung her face as she continued to gain speed, pushing herself to the limit.

“I want to go back! I need to go back!” The wind ate her words as it fought against her. Still, she pressed on until she managed to defeat the resisting air and break the sound barrier. Once again, a splash of color lit up the sky throughout the conflicted continent. Earth-Pony hoof soldiers looked up from their weary marching, Unicorn mages threw back the hoods of their cloaks, and Pegasus flyers lifted the brims of their iron helms; all saw the brilliant explosion of color.


The blinding white of a snow-covered Equestria greeted her. The ground approached quickly. At her speed, Rainbow couldn’t pull up fast enough to avoid a collision. She crashed into an embankment. The impact against the hard, compacted snow caused her to lose consciousness.

“Was it all a dream?” she mused to herself as she drifted off.


A gray Pegasus greeted her, shaking her urgently. “Rainbow, are you okay?”

“Huh? Where am I?”

“I’m really sorry, Rainbow. I pulled the curtain back when I—”

Rainbow hugged the gray Pegasus. “No, Derpy, you helped me realize something more important than my ego.”

Derpy smiled, not quite comprehending Rainbow’s meaning, but glad she wasn’t upset. “Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve!” Derpy waved goodbye and flew off.

Rainbow gritted her teeth and galloped toward the large building in front of her. “Please be enough time!”


Rainbow burst into the auditorium. While the audience was gone, there was still a sizable crowd of ponies cleaning up and putting away stage props. They all noticed Rainbow’s return.

She took a deep breath, and yelled out with her best stage voice.

“I LOVE TWILIGHT SPARKLE! I LOVE HER! I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS!”

Rainbow shouted until her voice became rough and her throat stung. Some ponies cheered; others sneered. Rainbow gave them no mind.

From behind the stage curtains, Twilight emerged. Her eyes were puffy from her own tears. She looked at Rainbow appraisingly and cautiously.

Rainbow took off her helm. “I love you. Can you ever forgive me?” she asked.

Twilight galloped towards her. She kissed the Pegasus on the lips, and held her in a tight embrace. They could feel each other’s warmth, and it gave them both great comfort. “I love you too. And I forgive you.”

“You are the eye in the storm of my life,” said Rainbow. “We’ll go on so many dates you’ll be sick of me.”

“Oh Rainbow,” said Twilight. “Is that damage on your battle dress?”

Author's Note:

Hurricane Hearts is set in the same Universe as my other following stories. Pay a visit. Thanks for reading.

Hole Hearted. "click title to visit"
Den is a pegasus vice captain of the Equestrian Royal Guard. Echo is a high class infiltrator of the reviled changeling race. Can their love flourish in an Equestria under threat? Which bounds are stronger love or loyalty? What dark designs lurk in the backdrop? Romance, adventure, and the search for universal truth!

Zig Zag Love. "click title to visit"
The mighty Griffin Kingdoms with their new War Wing airships have ventured forth to conquer their neighbors. The Zebra Tribal Confederation faces complete defeat as War Wings cast shadows upon their sovereign soil. A desperate plan is born to change the winds. Meanwhile a Griffin meets a Zebra.

Comments ( 5 )

I feel that this story was false advertising. I was expecting Rainbow to bed Hurricane and change history resulting in pegasi domination. Instead we got generic TwiDash.

On the positive side, did like the characterization of Hurricane and Pansy.

2865547 I liked this story. The romantic false lead puts Rainbow's relationship in perspective. Changing history wouldn't be possible cus then Equestria wouldn't exist. Sorta a feedback loop.
Unfortunately the portrayal of the stigma homesexuals face in the military is also realistic. :fluttershysad:

Great read. I really love Twilight xRainbow Dash shipping storys, and this was awesome!

Not a Twidash fan but I enjoyed the story and that's all that matters to me so thanks:twilightsmile:

"Good. Advance. I care not for silly prophecy!”

Anyone who ignores this is a silly silly person. :twilightsmile:

Nice story, have an upvote, and honestly, I was expecting it to go the other way :P
Nice job

Login or register to comment