• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 2,669 Views, 13 Comments

Life In A Northern Town - Closer-To-The-Sun



Sweetie Belle and Spike start dating. However, it seems both are having some issues with their new found relationship

  • ...
6
 13
 2,669

Chapter 4: Obsession

Chapter 4: Obsession

As the day continued, the rain continued to pour down upon the town. Inside the library, the purple unicorn continued with her seemingly endless studies of the books that lined the library walls. Upstairs, however, the small dragon who had returned from the Carousel Boutique had not moved from his location. Sitting in his small bed in the dim room, with his blanket pulled over his entire body to keep himself warm, Spike stared out of one of the windows watching the raindrops hit the glass.

He began talking to himself, “Why did something so dumb like that have to happen….it was just a misunderstanding. I mean, Sweetie Belle understands that right?” He stopped speaking. The sound of the pouring rain answered his question. Sighing, he continued, “But….I see what she might of thought what was going on….me being in that tub and all….” Looking down from the window, he thought of something, “And in the tub….it was the water R….Rarity was just in….” Spike looked back at the window, watching more drops hit the glass, “May….Maybe I’m not really completely-“

The dragon’s monologue was interrupted by a faint knocking from down stairs. Being perfectly still and quieting his own breathing, Spike listened to Twilight answering the door.

“Hello,” he heard Twilight welcome the visitor.

“Hi, Miss Twilight Sparkle. Is Spike home?” a familiar voice spoke.

“Yes, he is. Please, come in out of the rain.”

“Thank you.”

Their was a the faint sound of hoofsteps followed by the closing of the front door.

“He should be upstairs, Sweetie Belle,” Twilight informed.

“Okay, thank you, Miss Twilight Sparkle,” a gallop of hoofsteps up the stairs followed the filly’s words.

Spike knew who was coming up the staircase for him. However, he did not turn around, he continued to fix his sight at the falling rain.

The sound of hooves on the floorboards were growing closer to the dragon. Eventually, they stopped. Spike could feel the presence of the white unicorn behind him.

“Hello, Spike,” the unicorn broken the silence.

He replied quietly, “Hey.”

“How are you doing?” she asked, taking a few steps forward.

“Fine….and you?”

Sweetie Belle stopped her movement, about a body’s length away from the dragon, “Fine as well. Still surprised to have found you at my home this morning….in the tub at my house….”

“It wasn’t….” Spike started, but was quick to hold his tongue. Taking a deep breath, he tried again, “It wasn’t what it looked like.”

Taking a few steps around his bed, Sweetie Belle trotted in front of Spike’s line of sight and looked directly at him, “It wasn’t? Cause it really looked a lot like you were in the bathtub that still had the water from my sister’s bath.” Her voice was firm yet pleading to Spike.

“I wasn’t put there by my choice, honest,” the dragon explained.

“What do you mean?”

Spike didn’t respond right away. Instead, he first pulled the blanket down from his head before answering, “When I was going over to your place, I got muddy and stuff. And when Rarity saw me, she didn’t want me walking through the house, so she used her magic and threw me in the bath.”

The unicorn filly leaned in, doubting the words she heard, “Is that it?”

“That’s it, really!” Spike leaned back as Sweetie Belle inched forward to him.
After examining the dragon from top to bottom, Sweetie Belle nodded and gave a small smile, “Alright, I believe you. That’s what being in a relationship is all about, right?”

“R-Right….” Spike’s reply was hesitant, “um, Sweetie Belle, can I be honest about something?”

“What is it?” the filly tilted her head to the side.

Spike looked down and away from Sweetie Belle, “I….I think I have a problem….”

“A problem?”

Still keeping his eyes away from the filly, he continued, “When I was in….that tub, I….I couldn’t help but feel….something….”

Sweetie Belle’s jaw dropped, “Wh-What do you mean?”

“I….I don’t think I’m completely over Rarity….” Spike finally confessed.

“H-Huh?”

The dragon took his time in his reply, “I’m saying I think I still really like sister….”

The face on the filly turned from one to surprise to sorrow in an instant, “You….You still like her? E-Even though that we….we….are together?”

“I’m sorry….”

Placing her hooves on Spike, Sweetie Belle looked directly at him, “But….Spike….I love you….”

Spike looked at the unicorn for a moment before closing his eyes and hanging his head, “I know….and I love you too….but I….I don’t know what’s wrong with me….I….I still have feelings for Rarity.”

With her face turning sour, Sweetie Belle pushed Spike down onto his bed, pinning him down. Staring right at the dragon, the filly continued, “Spike, I love you….I love you more than anything. Please don’t say anything about Rarity, please….”

“I….I can’t help it….I’ve….I’ve had feelings for her for a while, you knew that….” Spike looked up at the pony that holding him down.

Tears began to form in Sweetie Belle’s eyes, “I know, but I don’t care….”

Spike felt a few of the tears fall onto his scales.

Sweetie Belle’s words were sounding more emotional as she spoke, “Please….I’ll be whoever you want me to be….just as long as your mine….”

The words were affect the dragon’s emotions as well, “I’m….I’m sorry, Sweetie Belle….”

After looking at him for a while in silence, the unicorn sat herself up off of Spike. She trotted over to the window and looked out the glass at the downpour.

“Sweetie Belle….I really mean it….I’m sorry….” Spike said as he sat himself back up in his bed.

The white filly continued staring out the window, “Do you think….we should stop, Spike? Should we not be together like this?”