• Published 10th Jul 2013
  • 910 Views, 18 Comments

My Dearest Princesses - Chickenscratch



Celestia gives an in-depth story of her life before she and her sister became princesses of Equestria

  • ...
1
 18
 910

The Journal

Pg. 54

After Luna got her Talent Brand, things in Pegasopolis became somewhat of a blur to me. There was a lot of activity in the weather factory as they tried to recover from all the damage that was done. Everypony in the city was concerned about the sudden oncoming of night and the explosion of magic at the factory. Stormwatch hid us in her home for the night, playing off the damages to the factory as a malfunction from the cloud machine. She hasn’t said anything about Luna’s transition to alicornship. I hope she stays quiet about all this.

The only thing she did say is that Luna’s coat will probably be stained black for the rest of her life. She said that her tail hairs would grow out, but the color on her body will have seeped into her skin and colored all of her fur forever. She did say that if we had been able to wash it out immediately it might have been prevented, but there wasn’t any time. Luna doesn’t seem too upset about it. She said something about it looking like the night sky. I’m glad she can see the bright side of things.

Pg. 57

We came home to Spirit Springs today. Rosewood was very worried. He had seen the sun and moon last night and figured we had gotten involved. He wants us to lay low for a while so that things can clear up back in Unicornia. The ponies in Spirit Springs are the only ones who know about our powers. They’ve all sworn to keep our secret safe, but I can’t help but feel worried. I still remember what it was like for everypony when I got my Brand and accidentally raised the sun in the middle of the night. It took a long time for things to even out. I’d imagine this would take even longer, especially for Pegasopolis. For now Luna and I will stay in the town hall, just to be safe. I don’t really mind since I have plenty of studying to be doing, but I’m sure Lulu isn’t as content as I.

Pg. 70

It has been a few weeks since Luna’s incident, if I can call it that. She has been experiencing the same surges of magic that I did when I first got my Brand. She has a lower understanding of magical spells than I do, so it is difficult for her to expel it all, but I’m glad to say I am taking the opportunity to teach her more complicated spells. She seems more eager to learn now that she has so much energy pent up inside. Rosewood seems proud. We’ve been getting some flying lessons in, but not a lot. Even though the spring is coming to an end there is still a chill in the air. I suppose that comes with living in the mountains. I have a feeling we will have ample time to practice come summer. With the closing of spring, I must review the basic principles and topics covered in our seasonal curriculum. Starting after the New Year, we began with…

Pg. 112

Summer is now upon us. Life has become more routine than ever. When we first began our stay here, I was so sure that this was where I was meant to be, but now…. I think I’m going to have a talk with Luna and see what she thinks. I may be able to rest easier knowing her side of the situation.

Pg. 113

I have spoken with Luna. We have come to the conclusion that staying here would not be in our best interest. I’ve never felt more conflicted over anything in my life. I love it here in Spirit Springs, but we simply cannot stay. I don’t want to disappoint Rosewood… We’re going to tell him tomorrow. I hope he can understand.

Pg. 115

Rosewood is the most kind, understanding pony I have ever met. I mean that sincerely. He was so open to everything we had to say… I must admit I shed a few tears saying my goodbyes. Luna and I will be leaving tomorrow morning to continue on our journey across the land. We’ve already packed, and Rosewood has given us so much. Books from the library to further our studies, plenty of bits to keep us afloat until we find where we want to settle… He’s even made us traditional Spirit Springs cloaks to hide our wings as we go.

He told me that his only regret is that he wasn’t able to help us figure out why we became alicorns. He had only heard legends of them before, and had never even thought twice about looking into them any further. He wished us luck on our journey. I wish we didn’t have to leave. Luna has been asleep for a while now, but I’m still restless. I need to get my rest so that I’ll be ready for an early start tomorrow. Goodnight.

Pg. 126

Lulu and I have been traveling for a few days now. We only recently made it out of the woods. It was decided that we should head to the east to visit Earthton. I’ve always wanted to go, personally. Luna agreed with a little convincing, but I’m sure she’ll enjoy it there.

Pg. 134

Earthton is the largest place I have ever seen in my life. The whole city is built on the coast of the sea. You can see the ocean from the higher points of the city. There are so many ports! I can only imagine what kind of foreign countries and races do business with our kingdom from this hub. To the north are miles and miles of rolling farmland, stretching all along the coast. Ponies are always coming and going from their farms to the city to sell and trade.

The food here is absolutely delicious! I have a feeling we may stay here for a while, but I mustn’t prolong it. I would hate to waste all our bits when we’ve just started out. Being in this big city makes me even more grateful for the cloaks Rosewood gave us. I’m very glad I can hide my wings. It makes me feel safer knowing that I cannot cause anypony worry or grief.

Pg. 151

We left Earthton this morning. Since there is nowhere further to travel to the east, we must move west. We will be taking a short route through the farmlands before circling around the north end of the Foal Mountains. I heard from many ponies that Neighagra Falls is in that direction, and that I must see it. For now we will follow their tips as I look for more ways to gather information on our strange magic.

Pg. 176
Today we made it to Neighagra Falls. I am left speechless at its beauty. There was a village at the base of the falls where we stopped to rest. I think we will stay here for a little while to revive our strengths. All of the ponies here are very friendly. The population is fairly mixed, but there is a higher percentage of earth ponies than any other race. I find the general distribution of the pony races quite interesting. I’ve heard there are more unicorns further west. Perhaps I may be able to find more answers if we continue our trails in that direction.

As per Luna’s request, I will include a drawing she did of the Falls. She seems very proud of her work for the most part. I find it rather endearing, though I must admit, quills are not the best art tools.

She spilled a little ink on it when she was dipping the quill but I still find it very lovely, despite her frustrations over ruining her ‘super perfect picture for Tia.’

Pg. 190

The countryside north of Unicornia Mountain is absolutely lovely. There is a lot of pasture here for growing hay, as well as managed woodlots for lumber. There are a few villages built around sale hubs, but most of the land is privately owned. Luna and I have plenty of opportunities to buy our food from local growers. It is always delicious. I can now see just how much truth came in Rosewood’s statement that all ponies have magic within them. I doubt I would have ever been able to grow things this fantastic! Luna is eating a peach from an orchard we passed not long ago as I write this. I haven’t eaten one yet, and she keeps insisting that I try a bite of hers.

Now that I look at her, Luna has been growing quite a lot recently. She’s been getting taller a lot faster than before, which I suspect is a side effect of her alicorn magic. Her mane is also beginning to show slight signs of waviness. Thankfully, her tail has almost completely lost all of its inky stain. A few strands of jet black remain, but her flank is still as dark as ever, just as Stormwatch said. I’m glad she won’t stand out as much anymore, though she never did seem to mind it before. Luna likes a bit more attention than I do, it seems.

Pg. 208

I’m surprised that the Crystal Mountains can be so easily seen from the more northern parts of the farmlands. The mountains up there seem much larger than any of the ones in our kingdom, save for Unicornia Mountain. I’ve never been able to see Mount Everhoof though. It is too far off and surrounded by clouds. I wonder what kinds of life can be found there? Maybe I should pay the mountains a visit some day…

Pg. 231

We have adjusted our path southwards to avoid colliding with Galloping Gorge. It’s quite easy to see Unicornia Mountain from where I sit now. I still miss home. I wish Clover the Clever was with us now. I wonder how she is doing all the time. If we had somewhere to stay I could try to send her letters, but since we are always on the move there would be no way for her to write us back. I think I can wait until I see her again to tell her all about our journey. It would be impossible to tell her everything using only quill and ink.

I’ve received several tips from various ponies about a town called Tall Tales on the other side of the Unicorn Range. If what they say is true, then it may be possible to find the answers we seek there. Luna and I have all the time in the world, so I have no qualms with making a stop there, even if it is a little out of the way.

Our bits have begun to run a little low. Since summer crop harvest is upon us, Lulu and I have been helping local farmers with their harvests to make some extra money here and there. It is quite easy to help with harvests using our magic, and the farmers always give us a generous salary. It may slow our progress, but it is a good experience, I think. I write this from the attic of a farmhouse we are staying in, as a matter of fact. Tomorrow we are helping to harvest their zucchini. They grow corn with it, but that won’t be ready to harvest for a while yet. It’s still a wonder to me how farmers can know the land and their crops so well.

Pg. 255

The Unicorn Range is close now. I do not foresee any way in which going around would be more efficient than traveling over it. I have found a lower point in the peaks where it will be easier to cross. Tall Tale lies just on the other side of this range. I can’t hesitate now.

I believe all of the necessary preparations for our crossing have been made. We have plenty of food and plenty of bits, though I doubt we’ll be buying much in the mountains. Entries may be slower as we travel, so I apologise in advance. I don’t think it will be unpleasant to travel in the cool air of early fall.

Pg. 267

Travel over the Range has been going better than expected. There are some very smooth trails in the bluffs where other ponies have traveled many moons before us. The trees are still green, though I expect they will not be for long. I wonder how the ponies out here turn the leaves in the wilderness? Perhaps the citizens of Tall Tale use a spell similar to the one we use back home in Unicornia?

At the bottom of the range lies a very wide expanse of woodland. From where we are now, I believe I can see Tall Tale further north. It is my belief that we should make it down to the woods first and then make our way up. The winds in the Range can get very cold.

Pg. 289

We have made it to the woods, finally! When we were still in the range we could see the trees turning orange and red. It always happened in quick bursts over a short area, so my theory of the turning spell has been confirmed. At least now I know for sure that there are powerful unicorns in these parts. The area of the woods we are in now has already turned. Although this means we may never run into another pony before we reach Tall Tale, I’m not too worried.

Already, little mushrooms have begun to sprout up from the forest floor. Luna wants to eat them, but I have forbidden it, just to be on the safe side. I would hate for her to become sick, or worse.

Pg. 313
We’ve been in Tall Tale for a couple of days. It was such a relief to finally get here after all of our travels. As I suspected, a great deal of the population consists of unicorns. They were all very surprised to have tourists coming all the way out to their town. It is very isolated from the rest of our kingdom, after all. Their prying questions sometimes come a little too close to uncovering our secret of being alicorns. We need to stay here to find out more, but we cannot live in a hotel much longer. There must be somewhere else…

Pg. 320

There is a small, abandoned cottage just outside of Tall Tale. It is worn, but not uninhabitable. Luna and I have enough bits to manage the down payment. I think I’m going to buy it.

Comments ( 3 )

I'm reminded of the whimsy of Adventure Time in the tone this has.

9358746
Aw thank you!!! It's very inspired by the tone of cartoons, especially ones like Adventure Time and OTGW
I really do want to continue writing it soon

10015873
I hope you do too! An unfinished story is only half as fun as a complete one. (Also, Over the Garden Wall is a sign of good taste. That single season was an absolute delight.)

Login or register to comment