• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 3,826 Views, 59 Comments

Ponyville Generations: Spike's story - Paradise Oasis



Spike The Dragon enters a deep sleep in a cave beneath Ponyville, and wakes up centuries later to a whole new world!

  • ...
7
 59
 3,826

A true Rarity

A true Rarity

(Author's note; the events of this chapter take place around the G3 movie, 'the runaway rainbow')

"Sigh... can't these little ponies keep anything straight?"

It was mid afternoon at Celebration Castle, and Spike was going through the old archives of Ponyville that were kept there. The dragon had sequestered himself here since the accident on the coaster a few weeks ago, even ignoring the mares pleas to come out and help them to prepare for the rainbow celebration.

During that time, he had been studying long and hard at the books, learning the ins and outs of this crazy self-contained world. It was when he was studying a book on the workings of Unicornia, that he heard several ponies enter the castle.

"Spike? Spike Darling?" He heard Rainbow Dash's voice call out. "Are you here?"

The small dragon quickly hid, waiting until the mares who had come to see him came into his study. As Dash continued to call 'darling?', Spike quietly snuck up behind them.

"Yes?" He asked in a hushed tone, surprising the mares.

"AHHH!" The six of them gasped in shock. As they spun to face him, Spike saw it was Minty, Dash, and Pinkie Pie- along with Zipzee and two other Breezies- who had come to see him.

"I never get tired of that!" He giggled. They simply glared at him in annoyance , until he made a coy face and exclaimed. "Brilliant!" At which point they all burst out laughing.

"What can I do for you, my friends?" Spike asked politely, bowing.

"We have a visitor in Ponyville, who needs your Help." Rainbow Dash told him. But as the mares looked around the room, they noticed their companion was missing.

"Rarity? Where are you?" Minty asked, looking around.

"Hiding!" A voice from somewhere in the room replied.

Spike eyes went wide in shock. Rarity? The dragon struggled to keep his composure, as he looked around the room for the source of the hidden voice. Of course there would be a Rarity namesake in this time period, he reasoned. Just as there was a Rainbow Dash and a Pinkie Pie. Though he wondered if this 'Rarity' was as similar to her ancestor as Pinkie Pie was, or if she was as different as the two Rainbow Dashes were to each other?

His answer came quickly, as a pink unicorn filly with a multicolored mane emerged from hiding in the closet. Immediately, he knew she was nothing like his Rarity- her carriage and demeanor told him that right away. But something of the glimmer in her blue eyes told him he was dealing with Rarity's descendant, as a bit of her passionate spirit shined through.

"My my, a little unicorn!" Spike exclaimed, acting surprised. He had not expected one of the members of the missing pony tribe to just turn up in Ponyville.

"Wow! So you're a dragon?" She asked him curiously.

"And you're a long way from home!" The dragon replied simply.

It was soon, that Spike learned, that Rarity was one of the rainbow princesses, whose annual magical ceremony maintained the existence of colors beneath the dome. Without their ceremony (signaled by three shooting stars the dome generated) the artificially-created spectrum beneath the dome would disappear.

"You know where Unicornia is?" Rarity asked him eagerly, hoping Spike could lead her home.

The small dragon inwardly smiled. This was an opportunity Spike had been waiting for! Not only would he be able to make contact with the unicorn leaders, but he would also be able to win their favor by bringing their wayward princess home.

"Perhaps I can be of assistance!" Spike replied. Pulling out a map he had recently discovered among the castle's books, Spike pinpointed the location of the seven castles of Unicornia. The dragon guessed they had originally been put there to celebrate the elements of harmony, but the park designers must have thought family, music, and friendship would make better elements than the actual ones. But unlike the rest of the castles, Crystal Rainbow actually served a purpose in this contained world.

It wasn't long, then, before the nine of them set off towards Unicornia. The four ponies trotting along and chatting, while Spike lugged all the outfits that Rainbow Dash had packed along on a cart he was pulling. As they traveled, Spike began to notice that this Rarity was a very different pony from the one he had known and loved. Spoiled and selfish, she seemed only to think of herself.

"So I did kinda wreck a lotta property in Ponyville when I tried skating around, but it wasn't my fault!" Rarity told him, when the other ponies had trotted ahead. "It's all Minty's fault for offering to let me use the skates in the first place!"

"So you fell no sense of responsibility for the problem, even though you caused it?" Spike asked incredulously. "Even though you were the one who actually did the damage?"

"No, why should I?" Rarity asked unapologetically. "I'm just a little kid! It's up to adults to be responsible for me!"

Spike snorted at this little filly's unabashed arrogance, but said nothing. Rarity's immaturity was driven even further home, when the little filly almost got herself killed by a raging waterfall. The unicorn princess had foolishly run to play with some butterflies at the edge of a cliff, only to tumble over the edge and plunge into the raging river. Rainbow Dash and the others rushed to save her, and through their combined efforts they managed to stop her from going over the falls. But what was the response of the ungrateful unicorn whose life they had just worked so hard to save?

"Let's do that again!"

This child seemed to care little for others, Spike realized, and blamed every other pony for the problems that she herself had caused. Why, she even blamed her teacher -who was probably worried sick about her back in Unicornia- for not teaching her to use her magic wand properly! For it was while she had been playing around with the potent magical device, that she had accidentally teleported herself to the Breezie's home outside Ponyville!

"How can this joke of a unicorn be descended from my Rarity?" The dragon thought to himself that night, as he curled up in his bedroll. "Rarity was so sweet and kind... while this brat is so spoiled and selfish!" But as he thought of the differences between other ponies of the past and their descendants, Spike realized that the apple can indeed fall very, very far from the tree...

That night, Spike dreamt of that very same past he had left behind...

…he dreamt of Twilight Sparkle and his Rarity... only the lovely white unicorn was wering a golden crown, that matched the one on his own head. The two of them gently smiled at each other, as Princess Celestia materialized behind the two of them.

"Devoted Subjects! I am here to announce my sister and I shall be stepping down as the rulers of Equestria!" The white alicorn proclaimed. "And henceforth, the kingdom shall be ruled by this dragon, and his lovely unicorn consort!"

"Spike, this is incredible!" Twilight Sparkle whinnied, her eyes watering with the tears of a proud parent. "I can't believe you've come this far!"

"Oh, Spike... darling!" His Rarity smiled, nuzzling him. "I can't believe you did this all for me! You're simply wonderful!"

"Not as wonderful as you, my sweet!" The baby dragon replied, smiling at her.

"LONG LIKE QUEEN RARITY!" The crowd of ponies exclaimed. "LONG LIVE KING SPIKE!"

"In my queen and I's honor, I proclaim today Master Kengrowth Gilspottum Heathspike day!" He proclaimed, waving his scepter over his head.

Another cheer went up from the crowd of ponies assembled at Canterlot castle, as they stamped their hooves in applause.

"Thank you, that you! My loyal subjects!" Spike graciously bowed to the crowds. "Please, no bowing... okay, you may bow!"

He smiled, before turning back to his new queen. His lips drew near to Rarity's, but right before they could kiss...

"YOU MAJESTY!" Modern Rarity's voice called out, waking him from his slumber.

Spike grumbled, as he pulled himself out of his bedroll. Rarity was running around in a panic, reminding them that time was of the essence! There were four shooting stars that proceeded the rainbow ceremony, and the third one had just shot overhead. If the fourth star shot passed, and the ceremony wasn't complete...

"My colors!" Rainbow Dash Shrieked, looking at her reflection in the river. "My rainbow Colors!" The poor mare was close to hyperventilating, and it wasn't just because of her looks. Every pony present knew that if the ceremony wasn't completed, there would be no rainbows in the Ponyville region this year. The entire area would lose it's colors, and everything would be black and white.

But far worse was the prospect of know more rainbow berries, a major source of food for two of the three tribes. Both unicorns and earth ponies alike used the berries in their cooking and recipes. Without them, many ponies who lived under the dome would be left to starve to death! Even the tropical fruit of butterfly island wouldn't be enough to feed all three tribes!

All of the ponies who lived here would suffer... all because of one little filly's irresponsibility and immaturity.

As Spike followed the panicked unicorn through the forest, he came to a clearing where three adult unicorns stood. As he rustled through the bushes, the three of them stepped back nervously.

"I-is someone there?" The blue one asked in a panic.

It was then that Spike emerged from the bushes.

"Eeeyahhh!" They all yelled in surprise, causing spike to giggle.

"I never get tired of that!" He exclaimed.

Rarity soon came rushing up behind him, followed by the other mares. Introductions were quickly made, and Spike learned that the blue unicorn was named Whistle Wishes, and the yellow one Bright Sprightly. The Pink unicorn in the middle, Cheerilee, carried the name of Ponyville's long-gone elementary teacher (though he doubted she was descended from her, as Miss Cheerilee had mysteriously vanished decades before his sleep) still, there was something... familiar about the pink maned unicorn, who kept staring at the small dragon thoughtfully.

As the colors continued to vanish from everything, Rarity used her wand to summon the Crystal Carriage. It was a quaint looking chariot, made of the purest quartz crystal, and pulled by two large trained birds. Spike assumed it had been a ride in the amusement park, pulling the paying customers from one castle to the next. But now, it rushed the group back to Crystal Rainbow Castle... just in time to see the last star shoot overhead, and all the rainbow colors to vanish.

"The colors!"

"Make it stop!"

The others were quick to give up... but Rarity, of all ponies, pushed on to get them to restore the rainbow. Together, the four unicorns restored the colors to the Ponyville region, and the rainbow celebration went onward, lasting well into the night.

...

It was twilight, after most of the celebrations had died down, and several unicorns were busy cleaning up the decorations after the party. Spike stood at the window of Crystal Rainbow Castle, staring out at the stars and the quiet town below. Unicornia was a very different place the modern Ponyville, he mused; the large domed castle set high atop the mountain at the edge of the Ponyville region, surrounded by the small town filled with shops and homes. It was quite a sight from up here, and almost took Spike's breath away.

"There's just as much to see inside the castle as there is out, you know." Cheerilee trotted up behind him. "Like the echo hallway that repeats everything you say, or the Rainbow Door that leads to the bouncing balloon room."

"Indeed, Miss Cheerilee." The small dragon turned and bowed. "This is quite an amazing town you have here. I can only wonder at what the other six castle's of unicornia are like!"

"I'm afraid there aren't any other castles in Unicornia, Master Heathspike." Cheerilee shook her mane. "They were part of the park's in-story fiction. Rainbow Castle is the only one truly here."

"You know the truth about the park?" Spike asked in surprise. "Then... you must be the unicorn community's intelligent member!"

"Not only that, Master Heathspike, but I am someone with a deep connection to you." The pink unicorn with the flower cutie mark smiled. "For I am Ponyville's direct descendant of Twilight Sparkle."

Spike stared at her for a moment, his jaw agape, before rushing up to give the pink unicorn a hug.

"I should have realized that glimmer in your eye looked farmiliar!" Spike exclaimed, his eyes tearing up. "And the fact you were the Princess's royal tutor!"

"Yes, Princess Rarity... descended from the harmony bearer of generosity." Cheerilee sighed. "She can be quite a hoof full sometimes!"

"I cannot believe that spoiled brat is descended from my Rarity!" Spike blurted out. "She is so childish, and selfish, and-"

"Of course she's childish, Spike! She's a child!" The pink unicorn replied defensively. "And she can be spoiled sometimes, but in the end, she means well!"

"Yes, I saw that when she learned her lesson when we were traveling, though I fear she will never be anything like the Rarity I knew." Spike looked back up at Cheerilee. "Tell me, are the unicorns tried of being ponies in this gilded cage as much as the other two tribes are?"

"I'm actually tired of watching over an entire town of children, when I've already got a spoiled princess to look after." Cheerilee nodded. "It's time the unicorns return to Equestria, so you may tell your Kimono and Queen Star Catcher then I will join your alliance, to shatter the glass ceiling that holds us in!"

Behind the two of them, a hidden Bright Sprightly listened in on thier conversation, and sent a telepathic message through her horn.

"Coconut Grove, tell the others we have a problem." The yellow unicorn narrowed her eyes. "The dragon and his cohorts have rediscovered Unicornia..."