• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 3,825 Views, 59 Comments

Ponyville Generations: Spike's story - Paradise Oasis



Spike The Dragon enters a deep sleep in a cave beneath Ponyville, and wakes up centuries later to a whole new world!

  • ...
7
 59
 3,825

discovery

Chapter 3- discovery

"This place... is weird."

As the morning sun shone down on him, Spike wandered around the streets of Ponyville, bothered and bewildered by everything he saw. The town had definitely changed during his long sleep- and from what he saw, not for the better. Every store, home, and restaurant from his era was gone... replaced by structures far more glitzy and girly. He couldn't believe this was the same town that he and Twilight Sparkle had spent most of their lives in.

"So what are we doing out here, Spike? Huh?" Zipzee asked, fluttering around the small dragon as he walked. The tiny Breezie, curious about the nature of dragons, had decided to attach herself to Spike. He didn't mind the fairy-like creature's companionship, so long as she didn't make a nuisance of herself.

"I wanna see what's changed in Ponyville since I fell asleep." He told her. "That might give me an idea how long I've actually been gone, and what's happened since I left."

As they strolled down the purple cobblestone road, they passed Sweetberry's sweet shoppe- a bakery that sold delicious cakes and baked goods. As they passed the door, a magenta colored mare with a purple and green mane trotted out to greet them.

"Spike! Zipzee!" The baker pony exclaimed, smiling. "Just the ponies I wanted to see!"

"I'm not a pony..." Spike grumbled to himself.

"Hey, Sweetberry!" Zipzee replied smiling back. "What's new with you?"

"Here, I wanted Spike to try one of these!" The mare with the strawberry and white flower cutie mark, held up a baking tray with her hoof. On it, where several iced cookies in the shape of purple dragons. "I made these in honor of your joining the Ponyville family! I'm going to serve them at the sunshine ball this afternoon!"

Spike grimaced at her words. The town had just celebrated their spring promenade a few days ago, did they really need another party so soon? Spike reluctantly took a cookie off of the tray and took a bite, while Sweetberry stared on with a worried look on her face.

"Hmm... this is really good!" Spike replied in between bites of the cookie. "This is even better than a cookie from Sugarcube corners!"

"Yaaaay!" the bakery mare cheered, galloping back towards her kitchen. "Thank you sooo much Spike! I need to make a hundred of these for the party today! See you two later!"

Spike continued on down the road, thinking about what had just happened. Sweetberry, clearly an adult pony, had just acted like a child, seeking approval. He seemed to recall the same attitude and poise from all the ponies he had encountered in modern Ponyville to this point- even, to an extent, Princess Wysteria.

"Are all of the mares of this age... childlike?" The dragon asked himself. This certainly was a very different Ponyville from what he remembered!

"Mmmm! That cookie was yummy!" Zipzee grinned, finishing the little nibble spike had given her. Suddenly, the Breezie's tiny ears perked up. "Hey, I think there's something going on over by the roller coaster!"

Nodding, Spike made his way across town, towards the big roller coaster, that sat at the edge of Ponyville. There, the dragon saw the town's mechanic- a mare by the name of Sparkleworks, if Spike was not mistaken- welding a rivet into place on the coaster's tallest hill.

"Hey Sparkleworks!" Zipzee yelled up to her. "Whatcha doin here?"

"Hey guys!" The orange mare with the pink mane snapped her blowtorch off, and flipped her welding visor up. "Check out what Sunny Daze and I did to the coaster!"

Spike looked down at the roller coaster's base, where he saw the white surf mare whith the orange sun cutie mark, painting the ride a bright sunshine yellow. She lifted up her sunglasses as they approached.

"Spike! Good ta see ya! Wassup dude?" She high-hoofed him. "Whaddya think of our rad ride redeco?"

"Looks very...sunny." Spike said simply. This pony definitely had the 'Cool' thing going as much as Rainbow Dash- well, the Rainbow Dash he knew. "You two repainted the whole coaster, for a party that's going to only last a few hours?" Spike asked incredulously.

"So?" Sunny simply laughed. "Pinkie Pie painted the whole castle pink for her b-day... and it's still that shade!"

"Hey Sunny!" Sparkleworks called down to her friend. "Take a look at what's coming!"

It was at that point, that two stallions trotted by on the path near the coaster, talking to each other.

"Hey, boys!" Sparkleworks whistled as they passed by. "You two been workin' out?"

"Shake that flank!" Sunny Daze called after the two stallions. "Whoo hoo!"

The two males scowled up at the girls, then trotted on their way.

"Construction Mares giving Ponycalls? And the guys are the ones disgusted?" Spike shook his scales. "These ponies ARE insane!"

"Hey Spike?" Sparkleworks called down to him. "We gotta get back to work. See ya at the party tonight, k?"

"Yeah, later man!" Sunny Daze agreed.

"Wow! Can you believe it? Those two's taste in guys are weird!" Zipzee giggled. "Breezie stallions are waaay hotter than-!"

She saw Spike was already walking ahead. "Spike, wait!" She zoomed ahead to catch up to him.

As they continued walking, they passed in front of a large house, shaped like a treasure chest. Spike looked curiously at this odd structure, as he was fairly certain it sat on the same spot where the Carousel boutique had once been. "Yeah, don't start about that right now, Spikey old boy." He told himself. As he peered through the widow, he noticed it was a fashion shop... just... like... hers...

"Spike, Darling!" Rainbow Dash stepped out of the doorway, smiling.

"AHHHHH!" Spike yelled, nearly jumping out of his scales. "Jeez, you scared me."

"So sorry, Darling- but you're just the Dragon I wanted to see!" She looked over at the little Breezie. "Oh hello, Zipzee dear! You're looking fabulous, as always!"

"Hiya, Dashie!" Zipzee replied, grinning.

Rainbow Dash frowned. "Darling, you know I hate that nickname!" She motioned both of them inside. "Please come in, Darlings. I have something here I'm just dying to have Spike try on!"

The small dragon gulped- Rarity used to have him try on the silly outfits she made him all time... and he only went along with it because he had a crush on her! And this 'new' Rainbow Dash still unnerved him; seeing those mannerisms and personality coming out of that voice and body- which he associated with a long-gone tomboy- threw poor Spike through a freaking loop!

Nervously following her into her Boutique, Spike prepared himself, for the worst... but instead found a nice white Button up suit and tie Jacket- complete with a matching fedora!

"Wow! Thanks, Miss Dash!" Spike replied, slipping the jacket and hat on, and admiring at himself in the mirror. "This outfit is amazing!"

"I was hoping you'd like it, Darling!" Rainbow Dash replied. "I made it just for you to wear to the Sunshine ball the afternoon!"

Spike hugged the blue fashion pony, thanking her again. But as he turned to leave, a realization dawned on him-

"Wait a sec... did I just get an outfit I actually like... made by a pony named Rainbow Dash... who is way more girly than Rarity was?"

"THIS PLACE IS CRAAAZZZZZZYYYYYYYYY!"

Most of the Ponies in the nearby vicinity couldn't understand why they saw a panicked Spike, running away from Rainbow's Dash's fashion Boutique, screaming in terror.

...

It wasn't long, before Spike and Zipzee made their way to the giant open field that served as the town main park. Several ponies who were gathered there,were tying kites to strings, and sending them into the air.

"What in hay is going on here?" Spike asked the Breezie, confused.

"Oh! This in the annual Sun celebration's kite flying event!" Zipzee told him. The tiny pony then looked up, and grinned. "Oh, hi Skywishes!"

"Hello, Zipzee! Hi, Spike!" A pink earth pony with a purple mane greeted them. "You guys wanna fly a kite, too?"

"What are those notes tied to the kite strings?" Spike asked her.

"Those are ponies' wishes!" The mare with a kite cutie mark responded. "If you write a wish and tie to to the string of the kite you're flying, it's sure to come true!"

"That's a neat tradition." The small dragon replied. "Say, Skywishes? Have you ever heard of there being a mountain over there, with a giant castle hanging over the cliff side?" He pointed a claw in the direction where Canterlot had once stood.

"Why Spike! That sure is a neat wish!" Skywishes giggled. "I wish for a castle in the sky, with sunbeams shining out the windows!"

Spike sighed. "I see. Thanks anyway, Miss Skywishes." The little dragon would have to seek his answers elsewhere. He was thinking about flying his own kite, until he saw Pinkie Pie walking amongst the crowd of ponies.

"Pinkie!" Spike yelled, running up to the pink earth mare. "I wanted to talk to you!"

Unlike the situation with Rainbow Dash, Spike was actually happy to see Pinkie Pie. Although there were some smaller differences, this silly pony was much more like her counterpart from Spike's time. From what he had gathered, Pinkie and Wysteria had always acted as something of leaders to this generation of Ponyville Ponies. So when Spike made Wysteria princess of Ponyville, so did he select Pinkie Pie the Chancellor. Her responsibilities hadn't changed much, however, as Pinkie remained the same fun-loving pony as always.

"Hey, Spike!" Pinkie Pie replied, turning to face him. "What's new with you?"

"Say Pinkie, I wanted to ask you some questions about the history of Ponyville." Spike told her.

"Well, that doesn't seem like very much fun." The earth pony frowned. "But I'll see what I can do."

"Well, first off... how many years has it been since Twilight Sparkle lived in Ponyville?" Spike asked.

"Who?" Pinkie asked, confused. "I've never heard of anybody by that name before."

"Twilight Sparkle." The small dragon replied in a confused tone. "You know, the student of Princess Celestia?"

"Oh, the princess from the 'Equestria' storybooks?" Pinkie Pie laughed. "Honestly, Spike! I thought you of all ponies would know the difference between real and make-believe!"

Spike was stunned. Celestia... a myth? What was going on here? How could the whole Canterlot mountain vanish? How did Ponyville get reduced to a bunch of blathering idiots?

Spike raced away from the park, looking desperately around the town. Where on earth could he possibly find the answers he sought?

"Hey Spike!" The Breezie caught up to him. "Pinkie Pie told me she wants me to-"

"Zipzee!" Spike interrupted her. "Tell me! Who's the smartest pony in Ponyville?"

"Ohh, that's easy! It's Kimono, the Wisest pony in the land!" The Breezie replied cheerfully. "Everybody knows that!!"

"Thank you. "Spike replied in an exasperated tone. "And where can I find her?"

"That's easy too! She lives just outside of Town!" Zipzee thought for a moment. "Ummm... though right now, she's probably visiting her friend Storybelle, at the Ponyville library."

"Then let's head over there, shall we?" Spike started walking.

"Wait! But I promised Pinkie Pie I'd have you to the square for the sunshine ball by noon!" Zipzee noticed the dragon was still walking. "Oh dear, this isn't going to end well..." She zipped on after him.

...

Ponyville's library- called the Story Loft- was a large windmill with pinwheel blades, that stood on the edge of Ponyville lake. As Spike approached the pleasant looking structure, he thought about how different it looked from the library that he and Twilight had once lived in... though ironically it stood on the same spot that the huge tree had once stood... though the pony-made lake was a new addition.

Spike also couldn't believe how...normal the place looked, compared to the sugary pink architecture in the rest of Ponyville. He hoped that this was a sign that a few more intelligent ponies awaited him within.

Spike knocked on the door, and waited. Everything was silent for a few minutes, before a lilac-colored mare, with a purple mane answered the door. She had a lantern cutie mark, and carried a look of sagely wisdom that set her apart from the insane and childlike demeanor of the other Ponyville ponies.

"Hello, good dragon." The intelligent-looking mare asked. "What can I do for you?"

"Greetings, noble mare." Spike bowed politely to her. "I am looking for a pony named Kimono. My name is-"

"Master Kengrowth Gilspottum Heathspike." The mare smiled. "I am Kimono, noble dragon, and I have been expecting your arrival, from the moment you awoke."

"What? but how...." Spike was stunned into silence.

"Kimono knows evvvvverything!" Zipzee said cryptically.

Kimono simply smiled, and motioned for him to step inside.

"Well, at least I'm finally going to get some answers..." With a resigned sigh, the small dragon followed her inside.