• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 13,642 Views, 218 Comments

Daring Dash and Rosetta Sparkle in the Jungle of Perils - elPossenreisser



Twilight and Rainbow enter a Daring Do novel to collect first-hoof insights on Rainbow’s favorite romantic pairing.

  • ...
10
 218
 13,642

Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Twilight opened her eyes and found herself back in her basement laboratory, snuggled up to Rainbow Dash, the pegasus’ wings draped around her, just like they had been on the island before the story had ended. Rainbow came to as well and stretched her wings before she quickly took wing and hovered above Twilight.

“Whoa”, she just said with a broad grin. “That. Was. Awesome!

“It was”, Twilight agreed. She got up, carefully sparing her injured leg – and then she noticed that her leg was fine. The makeshift bandage and the cut had disappeared because the story was over.

Over.

Suddenly she felt a large lump in her stomach. Trying to sound as normal as possible, she continued, “Why don’t you go ahead upstairs while I shut down the machine?”

“Okay. Maybe I can get Spike to make us something to eat, I’m starving!” With that, she flew up the stairs and left Twilight behind.

As soon as she was out of earshot, Twilight collapsed on her haunches. She tried to hold back her tears but was unable to. It was over. The story was over. The exciting adventure about alpacas and ancient ruins and evil goats was over. And, most importantly, so was the romance between her and Rainbow Dash – no, the romance between Daring Do and Rosetta. It had never been her romance in the first place, it had always just been between two fictional characters whose role she and Rainbow Dash had happened to play.

And with the play over, the romance was over. She could no longer just walk up to Rainbow Dash and kiss her, as much as she might want to. The story was over, and the pegasus had no reason to kiss her back anymore. She assumed that her feelings for Rainbow shouldn’t be so strong anymore now that they were back to reality, but she couldn’t help but have her thoughts return to all the moments she had shared with Rainbow while inside the story.

The lovely relaxed dinner in Marenagua and the premature kiss. Rainbow opening up to her after they had escaped the ruined temple. Falling asleep huddled up next to each other. Rainbow’s head on her lap in the hut in the alpaca village. Walking through the jungle holding tails. Their first real kiss right before they attacked the goats, and the emotion Rainbow had shared with her over their telepathic connection. The relief of seeing her safe and sound after being captured. Realizing that she could just get a kiss from her whenever she wanted one; realizing that they were actually in love. Their passionate last kiss right at the end of the story.

It was all over, and instead of enjoying the beautiful memories, all she could feel was painful regret that it was in fact over.

She buried her face in her hooves and let her tears run freely, trying without much success to remain silent so that Rainbow wouldn’t hear her – crying because a story was over was decidedly not cool.

Idly she wondered how that could have happened, when she suddenly heard Rainbow’s voice from the door. “Twi, you coming? Spike’s not here, so why don’t we just go to Sugarcube Corner and – Twi?” She interrupted herself when she saw the crying unicorn on the cushions next to the machine. “Twi, what’s wrong?” She slowly stepped closer and settled down next to her. “Twilight?”

Twilight fought the strong urge to snuggle her face up against Rainbow’s coat, aware that she had no right to this kind of consolation anymore now that their adventure was officially over. Rainbow gently put her wing around her withers and pulled her in closer. The memories of the times she had done this in the story – when they had been in love – just made her cry even harder.

“Twi, talk to me!” Rainbow urged. “What’s wrong?”

The unicorn couldn’t answer, as more and more sobs shook her body when she realized that this was not her girlfriend lovingly taking care of her, but her friend being worried – and that it wasn’t enough. After what she had experienced in the novel, she wanted Rainbow Dash to be her girlfriend, not her friend. And it wasn’t going to happen in the real world. The pegasus, meanwhile, comfortingly rocked her back and forth and seemed to accept that she was unable to talk for the time being.

It took her some time before her sobs started to calm down. She kept her face buried under her hooves when she finally muttered, “I don’t want it to be over.”

“What was that, Twi?” Rainbow asked softly.

Finally, Twilight uncovered her face, but didn’t dare look even into the direction of the cyan mare next to her. “I don’t want it to be over”, she repeated more clearly.

“But we totally aced it”, the pegasus replied uncomprehendingly. “We kicked Manehattan Silver’s flank and got the Golden Princess back to the alpacas and all. We won. No need to cry about that.”

“That’s not it”, Twilight mumbled.

“I don’t get it, Twi”, Rainbow said, looking confused. “What is it then?”

It took all her courage to finally turn to Rainbow Dash and look at her. She fought back the lump of fear in her throat and still only managed a feeble whisper. “I don’t want us to be over.”

Rainbow stared at her, obviously not following. “Whatcha talking about?”

Twilight took a deep breath and, deciding that all potential damage was done already, explained, “Us. We were, you know, more than friends, back in the story.” She gulped. “I know it was only a story, and it wasn’t real, but – “ Fresh tears flowed out of her eyes. “I don’t want it to be over! I –“ She was interrupted by Rainbow’s lips covering her own.

When she broke the kiss, the pegasus smiled at her. “Twilight”, she groaned in faux exasperation. “So what if it was only a story? Does it make it any less real?” Twilight just stared at her with wide wet eyes, dumbfounded by the sudden kiss, unable to answer. Rainbow continued more softly, “Even if it was just a story, what we had back there”, she gently poked her hoof at Twilight’s chest, “in there, it was real, wasn't it?” She nuzzled Twilight on the nose. “I remember what I felt in there, and that’s real enough for me. This isn’t over, I promise.”

As Twilight continued to stare at her, she sealed her promise with another kiss which the unicorn gladly returned. When they separated again, Twilight had a smile on her tear-stained face. “Thanks, Rainbow”, she whispered.

As if in response, Rainbow’s stomach gave a loud growl. The pegasus chuckled sheepishly. “So what do you say we have our first real-life date at Sugarcube Corner then, like, right now? I’m starving!”