• Published 10th Jul 2013
  • 1,989 Views, 34 Comments

Bizet Carmen - a Ponyville Production (or the Philomena Fantasy) - Planetarian



An opera, where ponies in Ponyville find themselves with the prima donna that is a phoenix... who had somehow tempted the heart of Fluttershy!

  • ...
1
 34
 1,989

Acte IV - Carmen Fantasie

Fluttershy was caught in a fit of rage as she got the confirmation that Philomena was dying and she was denying help for some reason, while Rainbow Dash was all too happy to let the dying phoenix do as she pleased.

On the way to Cloudsdale, the thoughts of the pegasus were about the bird, even if it may have been too late to actually prolong the phoenix's life. By this point in time, Fluttershy would not hesitate to physically push Rainbow Dash out of the way if it would ever comes down to a fight for the life of Philomena.

The buttermilk pegasus looked at Philomena's feather that she was keeping as a personal quill pen.

Hang on, Philomena... don't die on me!

(End Entr’acte)
(Cue solo violin)
(Cue orchestra)

Carmen Fantasy (Sarasate)


Philomena was by the side of Rainbow Dash as the mare spoke to length over the mishaps that led to Fluttershy acting the way she did.

"And that's why I wanted to just go all out and prank all of Ponyville, for my buddy here." Rainbow Dash gestured at Philomena with a hoof, while a torrent of feelings was conspiring against her composure.

By now, all of the Element holders with the exception of Fluttershy were upon Rarity's boutique, where the debriefing was taking place. It was quite surprising that Rainbow Dash had insisted on giving the narrative, instead of allowing Rarity to recount the events of the day, that started with the pranksters' visit to the boutique and ended with Fluttershy's outburst.

"That is incredibly noble..." Lyra spoke of Rainbow Dash's motive with an air of approval.

"And incredibly stupid." Medley spoke of Rainbow Dash's tact with a definite scent of scorn.

Medley had a roasting to do. "You should have let us in on this earlier." She pointed at the bird. "You got Fluttershy so worked up and so angry that about the only thing that she can think about was a dying bird! You ought to have known how that girl works, Rainbow Dash!"

Medley drew a breath of air into her lung. "Fluttershy doesn't take no for an answer when it comes to this kind of things. You two just stoked the fire some more, and more, and more! That and her mother... "

"How dare you..." Rainbow Dash was about to unleash a volley at Medley when a voice came to halt the firing order.

"Medley, Rainbow Dash, hold your tongues for a bit."

It was Octavia that stood to quell what was to come, to the surprise of the little clique of ponies in front of the boutique.

"Philomena will die soon. We now know this." The group nodded.

"Vinyl, you said something along the line that only somepony that hadn't a care in their world for death would throw caution to the wind, didn't you?"

Vinyl acknowledged the integrity of Octavia's statement by nodding.

"So, Vinyl, what's next?"

The mare with cobalt blue mane took a breather.

"Remember what Applejack was talking about? With Celestia dropping in and said her lines in a totally mysterious-like way. Maybe this is what she meant when she's telling Flutters to watch out."

Bluenote tapped the ground with her left hind leg. "Hold on. How could Celestia have any idea about our little miss Flutters?"

Vinyl frowned. "That I dunno, buddy. That I dunno. What I do know of is that Flutters is in a state of meltdown."

Bluenote turned to the phoenix. "I don't envy you when Flutters gets back. You and her have to make up with each other."

The party mare's bubbly self bounced into action. "Now that's what I'm talking about! Scrawny faces and bleeding hearts are just no fun."

Lyra looked at Rainbow Dash. "So I guess..."

Octavia filled in on the trailing sentence. "I guess that we should get involved with this air show, let Philomena do what she wanted to do since she is about to die and all, and hopefully calm Fluttershy down about all of this misunderstanding."

"Why don't we go after her!?" Medley was rather serious about trying to mend bleeding hearts.

"Miss Medley, we can't outfly or outrun an angry Fluttershy." Lyra was rather reflective when she raised her point. "You have no mean to outfly her, and she may be anywhere. Our best choice is to wait for her at Ponyville. She'll be back, she has to come back for Philomena here." Lyra waved her hoof at the bird that had faded in luster, but still fiery in its spirits.

"But she's bound to be in Cloudsdale!" Medley protested.

"Only to be gone in a flash, Medley." Bluenote mused. "She won't be staying there long enough for you to get to her."

"Now. Back to business." Rainbow Dash coughed to catch the ponies' attention.

"Rainbow Dash sure takes fun seriously." Bluenote whispered out to Scootaloo.

"Rainbow Dash doesn't go halfway with anything that she sets her mind to do, that's why!" The flightless pegasus declared.

"My air show. Think we can run some venues on the ground and stuff. Make it a carnival or something."

The entrepreneurial brains of Medley and Rarity went into overdrive, as they spoke in unison. "Go on, tell us more."

Rainbow Dash really wanted something special to be done for the phoenix. "Yea. Set up venues, viewing platforms, run games and whatnot. Be great, ponies are happy. Good sendoff for my buddy here and all. Might as well as to make this thing big!"

"A party to end all parties! Until the next party after that!" The pink mare's blood boiled in anticipation.

"All right then! I'll get radio broadcast and stuff going." Vinyl was immediately thinking of how such an air show would be run. "We might as well as to pull in some bits, and go all the way to Tartarus with it!"

Octavia spoke next. "Lyra, Bluenote and I will look for Fluttershy. I have a bad feeling that she'll be back on the day of the festival. Don't ask me how. I just do."

Medley liked the idea enough. "Well then, let's get to it.”

Philomena looked content. She lifted one of her wings, as flamboyantly as she ever were, and motioned for attention.

“Whacha got for us there...”

The bird began to sing.

(Cue birds)

PHILOMENA
ARAGONESE


Ponyville amphitheatre was bustling with activities.

The venue and the surrounding area had become the center stage for the air show. The seats were quickly becoming filled by fillies and colts from the town and the surrounding countryside. It was clear that the event clearly did garner the interest of ponies all around the area.

Medley was busy working with Vinyl and Rainbow Dash in the choreography of the whole show, and that she also had a part to play as one of the wingmares for the aerial stunts to be played out for the air show. The mare was listening to the cyan pegasus as she gave her the last minute briefing about how she wanted the movements to be executed.

Octavia, Bluenote and Lyra were making the rounds at the venues. The three of them had not heard from Fluttershy at all, and they were getting concerned about Fluttershy's emotional state, and the physical state of Philomena. As things stood, there was the likelihood that Philomena would expire before Fluttershy could return to Ponyville.

CHŒUR
À DEUX CUARTOS

CHŒUR
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!

Des éventails pour s’éventer,
Fans to cool yourselves!
Des oranges pour grignoter !
Oranges to nibble!
Le programme avec les détails !
Programme with details!
Du vin! De l'eau! Binoculaire!
Wine! Water! Binocular!

Des éventails pour s’éventer,
Fans to cool yourselves!
Des oranges pour grignoter !
Oranges to nibble!
Le programme avec les détails !
Programme with details!
Du vin! De l'eau! Binoculaire!
Wine! Water! Binocular!

CHŒUR
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!

CHŒUR
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
Señoras et caballeros !
Fillies and gentlecolts!

LYRA
Des pommes, vite !
Some apples, quickly!

APPLEJACK
En voici !
Here you are!
Prenez, prenez, mesdemoiselles.
Take these, ladies!

Merci, mon Éléments, merci.
Thank you, Elements, thank you.

CHŒUR
Celles-ci, señor, sont plus belles.
Sir, these are better!

TOUS LES MARCHANDS
À deux bits,
À deux bits,
Señoras et caballeros !
Fillies and gentlecolts!

Des éventails pour s’éventer,
Fans to cool yourselves!
Des oranges pour grignoter !
Oranges to nibble!
Le programme avec les détails !
Programme with details!
Du vin! De l'eau! Binoculaire!
Wine! Water! Binocular!

BLUENOTE
Holà ! marchand, des éventails.
Hey! I'll take a fan!

TOUS LES MARCHANDS
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!


TOUS LES MARCHANDS
Voyez! À deux cuartos,
Look! Just two bits!
Señoras et caballeros !
Fillies and gentlecolts!

TOUS LES MARCHANDS
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!
À deux cuartos,
Just two bits!

TOUS LES MARCHANDS
Voyez! Voyez!
Look! Look!


"Ladies and gentlecolts. This is DJ-PON3, your host for the day! It's time to be awesome."

Vinyl's voice could be heard from the loudspeakers placed above the amphitieatre.

"Get your hooves up, cause the show's gonna get started. You hear me!?"

The audience did a pony wave at that moment, with the schoolfillies giggling and crashing into each other as their forelegs flailed about.

The Crusaders were with Rarity, their teacher Cheerilee, and their schoolmates. They had front-row seats to the air show, and the little fillies and colts were not about to let that go wasted.

CHŒUR
VINYL SCRATCH
LES VOICI! VOICI LA QUADRILLE

CHŒUR
Les voici! Les voici!
They're here! They're here!
Voici la formation!
The formation is here!

CHŒUR
Les voici! Les voici! Les voici!
Here they are! Here they are! Here they are!
Oui, les voici! La groupe de poneys!
Yes, they're here! The group of ponies!

THE CROWD AND CHILDREN
Les voici! Oui, les voici!
Here they are! Yes, here they are!
Voici la passe-bas!
Here is the low pass!
La vol des aviateurs!
The flight of aviators!
Sur les ailes le soleil brille!
On the wings the sun gleams!
En l'air, en l'air, toques et sombreros!
In the air, in the air, caps and sombreros!
Les voici, voici la quadrille, etc.
Les voici! Les voici! La groupe de aviateurs, etc.
Here they are, here is the aviators, etc.

Vinyl had spotted Red Tape, her nemesis, the official that worked in the mayor's office, doing his round of inspections over the public square in front of the amphitheatre.


She didn't hold back in announcing his arrival.

VINYL SCRATCH
Voici, débouchant sur la place,
Here, leading into the square
voici d'abord, marchant au pas,
Marching on legs, here at first.
l'officielle à vilaine face.
The official with his villainous face
Avec sa très longue liste
With his very long checklist.

CHORUS
À bas! à bas! à bas! à bas!
Down! Down! Down! Down!

VINYL SCRATCH with fans
À bas l'officielle!
Down with the official!

CHORUS
À bas! à bas! à bas! à bas!
Down! Down! Down! Down!

VINYL SCRATCH
Oui! à bas! à bas! à bas!
Yes! Down! Down! Down!

VINYL SCRATCH and CHORUS
À bas!
Down!

"Anyways, now here's something that's well worth looking at. Get your whistles out, cause hot broads of the weather team's gonna spice things up for you all!"

Vinyl scratch gestured to the aerial procession of the weathermares.

VINYL SCRATCH
Et puis saluons au passage,
And now as they go by,
saluons les hardis chulos!
let's cheer for the bold broads!
Bravo! viva! gloire au courage!
Bravo! Hurrah! Glory to courage!
Voici les hardis chulos!
Here comes the bold broads!

CHOIR
Voyez les Météo-poneys,
Here comes the weather ponies,
voyez quel air de crânerie!
Look, what a swaggering air!

VINYL SCRATCH
Voyez! voyez!
See them! See them!

CHOIR
Voyez quels regards, et de quel éclat
What looks, and how brilliantly
étincelle la broderie
their ornaments glitter

VINYL SCRATCH
Voyez! voyez!
See them! See them!

CHOIR
de leur costume de combat!
on their fighting dress!
Voici les Météo-poneys!
Look! The weatherponies!

"And that's not all, folks. Turn your attention onto the ground!"

Vinyl asked the audience to look at the center stage.

CHOIR
Une autre troupe s'avance!
Another troop advances!
Une autre troupe s'avance!
Another troop advances!

VINYL SCRATCH with CHOIR
Voyez les jouteurs!
Look at the jousters!
Ah! comme ils sont beaux!
Ah! How handsome they are!

CHOIR
Comme ils vont du fer de leur lance,
How they're going to, with the tip of their lances,
Harceler le flanc des poneys!
Pierce the flank of the ponies!

And then, the sound of cracking air could be heard from the skies above. Vinyl Scratch grinned widely, as she threw a hoof at the azure heavens.

"And here comes the sword!"

The sight of a diving cyan pegasus with rainbow trailing behind the mare greeted the audience.

VINYL SCRATCH
L'Espada!
The sword!

CHOIR
L'Espada!
The sword!

VINYL SCRATCH
L'Espada!
The sword!

CHOIR
L'Espada!
The sword!

VINYL SCRATCH and CHOIR
Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!

VINYL SCRATCH and CHOIR
RAINBOW DASH!

(Rainbow Dash enters with Philomena)

SCOOOTALOO, VINYL SCRATCH and CHOIR
C'est L'Espada, la fine dame,
It is L'Espada, the fine lady,
celui qui vient terminer tout,
She who comes to end it all,
qui paraît à la fin du drame,
who appears at the end of the drama,
et qui frappe le dernier coup!
And who wraps the last blow!

SCOOOTALOO, VINYL SCRATCH and CHOIR
Vive Rainbow Dash! Vive Rainbow Dash!
Long live Rainbow Dash! Long live Rainbow Dash!
Ah, bravo!
Ah, bravo!

THE CROWD AND CHILDREN
Les voici! Oui, les voici!
Here they are! Yes, here they are!
Voici la passe-bas!
Here is the low pass!
La vol des aviateurs!
The flight of aviators!
Sur les ailes le soleil brille!
On the wings the sun gleams!
En l'air, en l'air, toques et sombreros!
In the air, in the air, caps and sombreros!

SCOOTALOO
Rainbow Dash! Ah, bravo!
Rainbow Dash! Ah, bravo!
Rainbow Dash! Ah, bravo!
Rainbow Dash! Ah, bravo!

SCOOTALOO AND SCHOOLFILLIES
Vive Rainbow Dash! Ah, bravo!
Long live Rainbow Dash! Ah, bravo!


The programme break of the show came, and Rainbow Dash had decided to have a word with Philomena.

(Cue orchestra)
RAINBOW DASH
PHILOMENA
SI TU M’AIMES

RAINBOW DASH
Si tu m'aimes, Mena, tu pourras, tout à l'heure,
If you love me, Philomena, you will be able soon
être fière de moi! Si tu m'aimes, si tu m'aimes!
To be proud of me! If you love me, if you love me!

PHILOMENA
Ah! je t'aime, Rainbow Dash,
Ah! I love you, Rainbow Dash,
je t'aime et que je meure,
I love you, and may I die,
si j'ai jamais aimé quelqu'un autant que toi!
if I have ever loved anyone as much as you!

Rainbow Dash looked out at the arena. She had an audience to impress.

CHORUS
Bravo, bravo, RAINBOW DASH!
Rainbow Dash, bravo !

"And here comes the mayor! Looks like just about everypony's here!" Vinyl proudly proclaimed over the speakers.

OFFICIAL
Place, Place!
Make room! Make room!
place au Seigneurita de Ville!
for her Ladyship, the mayor!

CHORUS
Pas du bousculade! Regardons passer
No jostling! Let's watch her pass
et se prélasser notre aimable alcade!
and make space for our amiable mayor!

(The entourage of the mayor enter and go into the arena.)

Philomena withdrew to outside of the arena, as she rendezvous with Octavia. The three of them were very alarmed, and did not wish to see Philomena being near the area.

OCTAVIA
Mena, un bon conseil: Ne reste pas ici!
Philomena, a good advice: don't remain here!


PHILOMENA
Pourquoi, s'il te plaît?
Why, if you please?

LYRA
Elle est là!
She is here!

PHILOMENA
Qui, donc?
Who, then?

BLUENOTE
Lui, Fluttershy! Dans la foule, elle se rôder; regarde!
Her, Fluttershy! In the crowd, she is lurking; look!

OCTAVIA
Prends garde!
Be on guard!

PHILOMENA
Je ne suis pas femme à trembler avant lui.
I am not a woman to tremble before her.
Je l'attends, et je vais lui parler.
I'll wait for her, and I will talk to her.

OCTAVIA
Mena, crois-moi, prends garde!
Philomena, believe me, be on guard!

PHILOMENA
Je ne crains rien!
I am afraid of nothing!

BLUENOTE
Prends garde!
Be on guard!

Philomena had decided to meet her destiny, which was coming to her in the form of a vicious pegasus.


The sight of a battered, ragged, haggard, disheveled and desperate mare appeared before Philomena. If anything, Fluttershy looked to be the one that was in dire strait instead of the dying phoenix.

The phoenix sang to the incoming mare.

PHILOMENA
FLUTTERSHY
CEST’TOI! C’EST MOI!

PHILOMENA
C'est toi!
It's you!

FLUTTERSHY
C'est moi!
It is I !

PHILOMENA
L'on m'avait avertie que tu n'étais pas loin,
they warned me that you were not far off,
que tu devais venir.
that you were supposed to come.
L'on m'avait mème dis de craindre pour my vie.
They even told me to fear for my life.
mais je suis brave, et n'ai pas voulu fuir.
but I am brave, and didn't want to flee.

FLUTTERSHY
Je ne menace pas, j'implore, je supplie!
I am not threatening, I implore, I plead!
Notre passé, Mena, notre passé, je l'oublie!
Our past, Mena, our past, I will forget it!
Oui, nous allons tous deux
Yes, we are going , both of us
commencer votre traitement,
to start your treatment,
loin d'ici, dans ce lieu très.!
Right here! In this very place.

PHILOMENA
Tu demandes l'impossible!
You are asking the impossible!
Mena jamais n'a menti;
Philomena has never lied;
son âme reste inflexible;
her soul remains inflexible;
entre elle et vie tout est fini.
between her and life all is finished.
Jamais je n'ai menti;
Never have I lied;
Cette vie, tout est fini.
This life, it is all but finished.

Fluttershy was trembling as she whimpered before the phoenix.

FLUTTERSHY
Mena, il est temps encore,
Philomena, there is time still
oui, il est temps encore - ô ma Mena,
yes, there is time still - oh, my Philomena,
laisse-moi te sauver, toi que j'adore.
Let me save you, you whom I adore.
Ah! laisse-moi te sauver et me sauver avec toi!
Ah! let me save you and save myself with you!

PHILOMENA
Non! je sais bien que c'est l'heure,
No, I know well that it is the hour,
je sais bien que je vais mourir maintenant.
I know well that I die right now.
mais que je vive ou que je meure,
but whether I live or whether I die,
non, non, non! je ne te céderai pas!
no, no, no! I will not give in!!

FLUTTERSHY with PHILOMENA
Mena, il est temps encore, etc
Philomena, there is still time, etc.

PHILOMENA
Pourquoi t'occuper encore
Why do you occupy yourself still
d'un vie qui n'est plus à toi!
With a life which no longer yours?
Non, ce vie n'est plus à toi.
No, this vie no longer belongs to you.
En vain tu dis: "Je t'adore!"
In vain you say: "I adore you!"
Tu n'obtiendras rien, non, rien de moi,
You will obtain nothing, no nothing from me,
Ah! c'est en vain,
Ah! It's in vain,
Tu n'obtiendras rien, rien de moi!
You will obtain nothing, nothing from me.

FLUTTERSHY
Tu ne m'aimes donc plus?
You don't love me, then, any longer?
Tu ne m'aimes donc plus?
You don't love me, then, any longer?

PHILOMENA
Oui, je ne t'aime plus.
Yes, I still love you.

FLUTTERSHY
Mais moi, Mena, je t'aime encore,
But, me, Philomena, I love you still,
Mena, hélas! moi, je t'adore!
Philomena, alas! me, I adore you!

PHILOMENA
À quoi bon tout cela? Que de mots superflus!
To what good all of this? What superfluous words!


FLUTTERSHY
Mena, je t'aime, je t'adore!
Philomena, I love you, I adore you!
Eh bien! s'il le faut, pour te plaire,
Well, then, if it is necessary, to please you,
Je resterai aimable., tout ce que tu voudras -
I will remain friendly, let you doeverything that you want -
tout! Tu m'entends, tout, tu m'entends, tout!
Everything! You hear me? everything!
Mais ne me quitte pas, ô ma Mena,
But don't leave me, oh my Philomena,
Ah! Souviens-toi, souviens-toi du passé!
Ah! Remember, remember the past!
Nous nous aimions, naguère!
We loved each other not long ago!
Ah! ne me quitte pas, Mena,
Ah! Don't leave me, Philomena,
Ah! ne me quitte pas!
Ah! don't leave me!

PHILOMENA
Jamais cet oiseau ne cédera!
This bird never yields!
Libre elle est née et libre elle mourra!
Free she was born and free she will die!

The crowd was going wild in the meantime, and their booming cries could be heard from where Philomena and Fluttershy stood.


"And Rainbow Dash clinched it on Raindrop's six! The scissors had done it! Bandit is down!"

The crowd heard Vinyl Scratch loud and clear.

CHORUS (CROWD)
Viva! viva! la vol est belle!
Viva! Viva! The flight is beautiful!
Viva! sur le ciels blue
Viva! on the blue skies.
le Pégase, le Pégase s'élance!
the pegasus, the pegasus charges!
Voyez, voyez, voyez, voyez!
Look, look, look, look!
Le Pégase pourchassés
The Pegasus which is being chased
En bondissant s'élance, voyez!
(Suddenly) bounding, charges, look!
Arrêté juste, juste en plein terre!
Stopped exactly right, right on the ground!
Voyez, voyez, voyez! Victoire!
Look, look, look! Victory!

(On hearing Victoire, Philomena takes a step in the direction of the arena)

FLUTTERSHY
Où vas-tu?
Where are you going?

PHILOMENA
Laisse-moi!
Leave me alone!

FLUTTERSHY
Cet poney qu'on acclame, c'est va être votre tueur.!
That pony they're acclaiming is going to be your killer!

PHILOMENA
Laisse-moi! Laisse-moi!
Leave me alone! Leave me alone!

FLUTTERSHY
Sur mon âme, tu ne passeras pas, Mena,
By my soul, you will not pass by, Philomena,
C'est moi que tu suivras!
It is I whom you will follow!

PHILOMENA
Laisse-moi, Fluttershy, je ne te suivrai pas.
Leave me alone, Fluttershy. I will not follow you.

FLUTTERSHY
Tu vas le retrouver. Dis, tu l'aimes donc?
You 're going to find her. Tell me- you love her then?

PHILOMENA
Je l'aime! Je l'aime et devant la mort mème,
I love her! I love her and before death itself,
je répéterai que je l'aime!
I will repeat that I love her!

THE CROWD
Viva! viva! Le vol est belle!
Viva! Viva! The flight is beautiful!
Viva! sur le ciels blue
Viva! on the blue skies
le Pégase, le Pégase s'élance!
the pegasus, the pegasus charges!
Voyez, voyez, voyez, voyez!
Look, look, look, look!
Le Pégase pourchassés
The Pegasus which is being chased
En bondissant s'élance, voyez!
(Suddenly) bounding, charges, look!

FLUTTERSHY
Ainsi le salut de vous vie
So much for the salvation of your life;
je l'aurai perdu pour que toi,
I will have lost it because of you
pour que tu t'en ailles, infâme,
so that you can run away, vile creature,
entre ses ailes, rire de moi!
and in her wings, laugh at me !
Non, par le sang, tu n'iras pas!
No, by my blood, you will not go!
Mena, c'est moi que tu suivras!
Philomena, it is I whom you will follow!

"Look! Over there! Fluttershy's..."

Lyra was screaming at Bluenote and Octavia, who were guarding the entrance.

The three of them went into full gallop as they see Fluttershy towering over the ever so defiant phoenix, with such a figure that it looked as if she would have the phoenix devoured before any pony could stop her.

The whole world was a blur, with a frenzy of activities going around them. There was the adoration of Rainbow Dash, the hollering vendors, the sound of hoofsteps.

None of these entered into the slow-motion of the three mares, as they can only hear Philomena and Fluttershy conducting their final duet.

PHILOMENA
Non, non! Jamais!
No, no ! never!

FLUTTERSHY
Je suis las de te menacer!
I am weary of threatening you!

PHILOMENA
Eh bien! frappe-moi donc, ou laisse-moi passer!
Well then! strike me then, or let me pass!

THE CROWD
Victoire!
Victory!

FLUTTERSHY
Pour la dernière fois, phénix, veux-tu me suivre?
For the last time, Phoenix, will you to follow me?

PHILOMENA
Non, non! Cette vie, autrefois,
No, no! This life- once
J'ai vécu ... là!
have lived... there!

(Philomena tore out a feather)

FLUTTERSHY
Eh bien, damnée!
Well then, you are damned!

Fluttershy lunged herself upon Philomena, while letting out a primal war cry that could rend souls. The howling voice had utterly terrified the three mares, and this white alicorn that appeared all of a sudden.

The scene ended with a huge explosion.

The world had stopped at that moment.


"And she kills it. Sonic Rainboom, everypony. The Sword had done it! The one and only, Rainbow Dash!" Vinyl Scratch was ecstatic over the intercom.

(cue orchestra)
(cue choir)

THE CROWD
Aviateur, en garde! Aviateur! Aviateur!
Aviator, on guard! Aviator
Et songe bien, oui, songe en combattant
And dream away, yes dream in combat,
Qu'un oeil vaste te regarde,
That wide eyes are watching you,
Et que l'amour t'attend,
And may love await you,
Aviateur,
Aviator,

A pile of black ash was all that remained of the once glorious phoenix.

AUDIENCE
L'ami t'attend!
Friend awaits you!

Fluttershy looked at her stunned friends, with hollowed, forlorn eyes. She wept as the aria came to its conclusion, as dusts of what was formerly that of a gorgeous phoenix fell from her hooves, and onto the ground.

FLUTTERSHY
Vous pouvez m'arrêter -c'est moi qui l'ai tuée!
You can arrest me - it is I who has killed her!

(throwing herself on the ground)

FLUTTERSHY
Ah! Carmen! ma Carmen, adorée!
Ah, Carmen! My Carmen, my adored one!

(Fluttershy screams to Rainbow Dash's contrail)


The mares were looking at the inadvertent pet killer with a look of pity and bewilderment.

Nopony really knew what to say or how to approach Fluttershy, but they felt that they should offer her some solace, yet they cannot find the momentum to act.

So they stood, waiting for something to change.

And something did change.

"All right, Philomena, time's up. You've been very mean to Miss Fluttershy here." The white alicorn walked to the pile of ashes that laid before the broken pegasus, as she commanded it to answer to her demands.

Suddenly, in a glorious blaze of fire, the phoenix rose from the ashes, renewed and reinvigorated.

The beautiful sight of the phoenix had rendered the mares surrounding Fluttershy stiff.

"That's the phoenix. It must renew itself, ending its old life so it can head out anew."

Celestia, the white alicorn, had a little more to say. "Philomena's my oldest friend, Fluttershy."

The white alicorn lifted her foreleg, and the phoenix landed herself to the foreleg accordingly.

Fluttershy had been completely baffled, and did not do anything except for fixing her gaze upon Philomena.

"So... she's been around for more than a thousand years?" Bluenote pointed to the bird.

"Why, yes. She had been my companion... but I've lost her when I couldn't heed to the calls friendship..." The alicorn thought back to her fall as she left her sentence trailing in mid-air."

Lyra was still trying to process what she had witnessed before her.

"So a phoenix's rebirth was no mere legend..."

The group stood around the phoenix, as they pondered about its lives and times.

"I... I..." The buttermilk mare was better composed. "I... that's why she... didn't fear the end... she wanted to welcome it bravely and happily."

"I'm sorry." The pegasus with flowing, pink mane dropped her head low as she lets loose tears of remorse.

The phoenix left Celestia, and landed over the shoulder of the pegasus.

"So you wanted to begin anew? Just like how Celestia and Luna? I see..." Fluttershy croaked as the phoenix conversed with her.

"Well, folks. We should go into the amphitheatre. Looks like Rainbow Dash's victory lap is about to start." Bluenote reminded the group. "You should meet up with her, Fluttershy. The drama's over."

Fluttershy nodded curtly. Her eyes, stinging from hot tears, were still moist, but the mare was no longer brooding. It's time to meet friends with love, and she was not alone in this journey.

The little bunny appeared then, and only to shrug at the sight of his benefactor. All's well that ends well, perhaps.

(close curtain)
(cue Seguidille)

SEGUIDILLE

~Fin~

Author's Note:

This marks the end of Carmen with ponies. It's been quite a ride. There may be need for additional revisions, but this is basically it.

The final chapter was difficult to pen because the last act of Carmen is very inconclusive, as it starts right at the vendors and to have the story end with Don José killing Carmen, who had professed her love to Escamillo. That constraint would have severely curtailed what could have been done to talk about Celestia, and to wrap up on loose ends here and there.

Carmen had spawned many, many adaptation and its musics are among some of the well known and well practiced. This fic is akin to those who have attempted to adopt Phantom of the Opera in that sense.

Thanks for reading! I am very thankful for your willingness to let me experiment like this.

Comments ( 11 )

This was astonishing, and I am left speechless. Bravo, sir, Bravo!

2878761
Thank you.
This thing had been horrifically difficult to do by the time the story moved to the mental plight of Fluttershy. It was one week of roller-coaster ride that made me just "what did I sign up for..."

Well, done, I can't say I understand all of it but if nothing else the idea of Rainbow Dash fighting in a tournament caught my imagination.

Got to say Philomena doesn't come off well toying with Fluttershy like that she could have mentioned the immortality part.

Overall something very out of the ordinary which didn't work perfectly but needed to be tried.

Plus

Yah, Red Tape gets an appearance.

for her Lordship, the mayor!

Should this be ladyship?

2881197
Thanks. will edit this now.
Several elements remain unsettled in this story (The original prank that Pinkie and Dash had in mind, Fluttershy and her mother are the two that really sticks out,) but I decided not to do a postscript, and allow this drama to end in four acts as it does according to Bizet. The last final bit about the animosity between Vinyl and Red Tape also leaves the audience with "so, what's between them?"

Anyways, thank you for putting up with reading this!

2881197
Philomena is definitely open to interpretation. She is... a bit darker than the main!Philomena, a little fatalist even, and her actions can be called "innocent malice." This is a fiery, feisty bird that deals at her terms, and she ended up getting her point to Fluttershy in a very hurtful way.

Although honestly, the drama ended up resting on Rainbow Dash and Flutters' totally different view of how to be a friend when it comes to the bird, while the bird pressed on her independent will throughout the whole thing!

Ok Planetarian, I haven't read the previous chapter but since I helped you I should at least read this one. With the parts about Celestia you did good on, I saw nothing objectionable in her character. I, Celestia's Paladin, do hereby declare this fic...
fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/060/f/5/princess_celestia_approved_by_ambris-d4rftlj.png

2930027
It came to me when I tried to look at the dynamics of Micaela and Don José. It was not a fiery relationship at all, and honestly... about the only problem with Micaela was that she's a more of a prim and proper stereotype, which Angel Bunny is anything but.

Angel Bunny makes the first act really weird in a way. (Zuniga was kind of hitting on Micaela!)

I very interesting idea for a story. Opera, ponies, and an odd shipping couple. I liked it. This should get more reads just to show that there are wonderful ideas that have not been touched. That it's a good story too just adds to the appeal.

*Whistles slowly* Pretty damned good, here. An awful lot of effort went into this, and it shows.

If I were an opera fan, I probably would have appreciated how this story was designed better.

But I'm not, so I don't, and most of the fancy stuff flew completely over my head. Still I got the gist of the plot, and give you credit at least for your hard work.

Login or register to comment