• Published 11th Jul 2013
  • 15,350 Views, 227 Comments

Twilight's Love - Bluecatcinema



The ongoing romance of Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry.

  • ...
64
 227
 15,350

Meet The Parents

Dear Twilight,

We can't believe you didn't tell us you have a coltfriend, and worse, that we had to read about it in the Canterlot Times. Why didn't you tell us? Your father and I always hoped this day would come. What say you and this "Flash Sentry" join us for dinner sometime? In fact, let's have Mr. Sentry invite his parents too, so we can all get to know each other.

Please write back soon, darling.

Love, mom.

Twilight groaned as she finished reading the letter. She had intended to tell her parents about Flash, but only when she felt the time was right. Unfortunately, during Flash's visit to Ponyville, a photographer had taken a picture of them having lunch at the local restaurant. The next thing Twilight knew, that picture was on the front page of every major newspaper in Equestria, joined by such headlines as "The Princess and the Guard!", and "Newest Princess Finds Love!" It was mortifying, to say the least, having her first relationship broadcast to all and sundry. And now her parents had caught wind of it, and wanted to get to know both Flash and his parents, whom Twilight hadn't even met yet. From what little Fash had told her about them, they also resided in Canterlot.

"Spike, take a letter." Twilight instructed.

"Ready and waiting, Twi." Spike held up a scroll and a quill, ready to write.

"Dear Flash." Twilight recited. "My parents have requested that you, I and your parents have dinner together, so we can get to know each other. I'm sorry to spring this on you so suddenly, but they saw that picture everypony's talking about, and I know from experience that they won't take 'no' for an answer. Let me know when you're all available as soon as possible. Love, Twilight."

Spike grimaced as he jotted the last part down.

A couple of days later, Flash's reply arrived, confirming that he and his parents would be free the coming Monday. Twilight quickly sent a letter of confirmation to her parents. On the evening of that very same Monday, Twilight took the train to Canterlot, meeting Flash at the station. He was joined by his parents; A stallion with the same coat and eyes, but a gray mane, and a mare with the same blue-colored mane as her son, but a pale gray coat and green eyes. The stallion had a spearhead Cutie Mark, while the mare had the image of a songbird on her flank.

"Twilight, these are my parents." Flash introduced her. "My father, Bold Sentry, and my mother, Nightengale."

"Pleased to meet you." Twilight smiled.

"The pleasure is all ours, princess!" Nightengale gushed.

"Please, call me Twilight." Twilight insisted.

"Twilight it is, then." Bold nodded. "Please, lead the way."

As they made their way to Twilight's childhood home, the young alicorn leaned towards Flash.

"Nervous?" She whispered.

"A little." Flash nodded. "You?"

"A lot." Twilight winced.

They reached the house, and Twilight knocked on the door. A few seconds later, and the door opened, revealing Twilight's parents.

"Good evening, everypony." Night Light nodded. "Glad you could make it. I'm Night Light, and this my wife, Twilight Velvet."

"Charmed." Bold nodded. "I'm Bold, and this is my wife, Nightengale."

"Lovely to make your acquaintance!" Nightengale beamed.

"And you must be Flash Sentry." Velvet looked Flash up and down. "It seems like our daughter's quite taken with you."

"And I'm quite taken with her." Flash smiled, draping a wing around his blushing love.

"So I see." Velvet smiled. "Well, let's not all stand out here in the cold with our tummies rumbling. Come in, come in!"

"You don't have to tell me twice." Bold shivered.

Entering the warm house, they all took their places at the dinner table, where the food had already been laid out.

"Well, I must say, this all came as something of a surprise." Nightengale declared. "Our son, dating a princess!"

"So, he didn't tell you either then?" Night Light asked. "You had to find out from the papers, too?"

"Yep." Bold nodded. "Don't know why Flash didn't want to tell us."

"I was going to tell you, dad." Flash told him. "I was just waiting for the right moment."

"Me too." Twilight added.

"It doesn't really matter now, though." Velvet chuckled.

"You must feel so privileged." Nightengale tittered. "Having first one, then two princesses in the family!"

"Of course." Night Light nodded. "Then again, Twilight's always been our little princess!"

"Dad..." Twilight groaned.

"Our Flash always wanted to be a guardspony." Nightengale revealed. "Back when he was a colt, he'd use to make armor out of cardboard boxes, use a broom for a spear, and wander around the house, saying 'Halt! Who goes there?'"

"Mooom!" Flash protested. "I only did that a couple of times!"

"And now, he's got his very first marefriend." Bold smiled. "And a princess, no less. We're so proud of him."

"And we're proud of Twilight." Velvet agreed. "When she was a filly, she wasn't all that social. I worried that she might never get herself a special somepony. And yet, there we are!"

"Before you know it, they'll be getting married and having foals of their own." Nightengale gushed.

Twilight spat out the cider she had been in the middle of drinking. At the same time, Flash choked on a roll.

"It's a little early to be thinking about all that, isn't it?" Twilight patted Flash on the back, helping him to dislodge the roll. "We've only been dating for about a month."

"I... 'gree..." Flash wheezed. "Way too early..."

"Sorry, hon." Nightengale smiled. "We're just so happy for you! But go ahead and take it as slow as you like."

"Not too slow." Velvet added. "I'd like grandkids sometime this decade..."

Twilight and Flash laughed nervously.

"So, would I be right in guessing you've been treating my daughter right?" Night Light asked Flash.

"Yes, sir." Flash nodded.

"He's been a perfect gentlecolt, dad." Twilight smiled.

"And why not?" Bold declared. "I taught him every he knows about chivalry and how to treat a lady."

"And a very good job you've done, too." Night Light nodded. "Polite and respectful, just the way a young stallion should be."

"Oh, miss Velvet, this salad is to die for!" Nightengale gushed. "You simply must give me the recipe!"

"Gladly." Velvet smiled.

Twilight and Flash shared a smile. It seemed like events were starting to brighten up. Flash held Twilight's hoof under the table. Twilight blushed lightly in response.

Their parents spent the rest of the dinner chattering away, sharing anecdotes and stories about their offspring's accomplishments. Soon enough, the time came for the guests to leave.

"Don't be strangers." Night Light smiled. "We really must do this again sometime!"

"Hear, hear." Bold agreed. "You folks are good people. Then again, you'd have to be, to raise a mare worthy of being a princess."

"You haven't done so bad yourself." Velvet chuckled. "Your boy's the best coltfriend we could've hoped for Twilight to have."

"The same to you." Nightengale replied. "Twilight's a darling. Bye, now!"

After Twilight and Flash saw off his parents, they found themselves with some alone time before their respective trains arrived.

"Well, that could have gone a lot worse." Flash noted.

"It went a lot better then I thought it would." Twilight agreed. "To be honest, I was worried about what our parents would think of us being together. That's why I didn't want them to know yet."

"Me too." Flash nodded. "I don't know if you noticed, but my parents can be pretty embarassing sometimes."

"Oh, I noticed." Twilight chuckled. "You know, if I ever meet the pony who took that photo of us, I think I'll thank him."

"Really?" Flash asked.

"Either that, or throttle him." Twilight joked.

"I'd go with the second one." Flash chuckled.

The train to the Crystal Empire pulled into the station.

"What say we go for dinner for two next time?" Flash asked.

"Sounds perfect." Twilight smiled.

The two shared a quick kiss before Flash boarded the train. As Twilight got onto her own train, minutes later, she reflected on the nights events. Flash's parents really weren't that bad. If ever the two one day did decide to marry, Twilight reasoned that there were worse possibilities concerning in-laws. If they ever decided to get married, of course... At the moment, Twilight was perfectly content with the way things between them were at the moment. She wouldn't have changed anything for the world.