• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 6,916 Views, 808 Comments

Diary of the Night - CalebH



After Luna returns from imprisonment on the moon Celestia suggests keeping a diary might be therapeutic. What will the princess of the night see fit to write?

  • ...
27
 808
 6,916

PreviousChapters Next
Reunion - Chapter 44

The guard returns to the recently refurbished great hall. Officers in Celestia’s guard find their seats taken by the night ponies that struck them down. Celestia suggests that a mixing of the guard might be healthy but this is not for camaraderie’s sake. It is a declaration that the victorious night ponies are more worthy of the place of honor. A thousand years ago Celestia would have had to find another seat for months to come but such declarations of superiority would only be interpreted as a threat from me.

I do take the honor of the first toast. When everypony has been served a mug of mulled cider I stand and the room falls silent. “To a battle well fought,” I declare and drain my mug in a single greedy swallow. Celestia alone openly scoffs at the display. I do not care; in drink, feast, and battle I am the night ponies’ superior and I will remind them how and when I see fit.
Drinks and words begin to flow and an argument is escalated into a formal challenge. Immediately a ring is formed and the two contestants find themselves in the center. I fly over to act as referee and find a grinning night mare named Moon Shadow and a unicorn named Morning Star.

The unicorn is bewildered at the turn of events so for his benefit I read off the rules. They are simple enough to be remembered while intoxicated to the point of blindness. No strikes to the wings(or horn as the case may be) and no biting. The fight continues until one yields or is incapable of doing so. Any severe wounds will be healed after the fight; I will not have my ponies killing one another to satisfy their pride.

The challenge begins and Morning Star attempts to say that he will not strike a mare. He is cut off by a blow that gives my own jaw a sympathetic ache. Moon Shadow’s opening volley follows relentlessly with as many insults as hoofs thrown. To my surprise he is not defeated by the fierce attack and manages to push her away. From the look they give each other I am not certain whether they will resume fighting or start making love. It is only for a moment before they both resume the fight.

Morning Star attempts to grapple his opponent. He tries to prove his physical dominance without causing any harm while Moon Shadow rains blows upon him. He only tightens his hold and brings his body closer to her to avoid the blows.

He is too close for any of her limbs to land any blows so she bashes her head against his. It is an awkward angle and a few clumsy blows render both ponies unconscious. I declare the tie, call for a bucket of water to bring them to their senses, and return to my seat. Celestia gives me a disapproving look but I do not care; tonight belongs to the victors.
-L

PreviousChapters Next