• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 1,788 Views, 34 Comments

Doctor Whooves: Nightmare in Old Equestria - sgamer82



The Seventh Doctor's visit to his former companion, Alicorn Celestia of Equestria, becomes a trek through the mind, dreams, and soul of Princess Luna to try and avert the crisis of Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,788

Part Seven

Celestia’s eyes opened to nothing.

Before her was a vast white expanse. She stood and looked around. At first, it seemed there truly was nothing in this bright void. On closer inspection, she saw a figure, a pony off in the distance. As if noticing her were some kind of trigger, the pony suddenly appeared very near Celestia herself. The pony was faint, barely a shadow, as though she we was not truly there. Celestia could only make out an outline of the pony. But the outline, a pair of wings and a horn, was enough.

“Luna!” Celestia cried, for who else could it be. The shadow pony nodded.

MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC
&
DOCTOR WHO
IN
NIGHTMARE IN OLD EQUESTRIA
PART SEVEN

“Luna! I am so glad to see you,” Celestia cried. She could feel tears forming but did not care. “I thought I had been fighting with you. No mere argument, true figh…”

So caught up in emotion it took Celestia a moment to realize where they were.

“We were fighting, weren’t we?”

Nod.

“I’m unconscious right now.”

Nod. Celestia looked at herself. Indeed, just as she had been in Luna’s mind and dreamscape, she was once again “Ace,” the rebellious teenage alicorn.

“Luna. You have to fight this thing that’s taken hold of you. You have to resist Nightmare Moon!”

This time, the faint pony shook her head.

“What? I-I don’t understand! Luna, speak to me.”

The shadow shook and then hung its head.

“Are you telling me you can’t?”

Nod.

“Have things progressed so far so quickly?”

Nod.

“What are we to do?”

The shadow raised its head, looking past Celestia. Celestia turned around to see what Luna’s shadow was looking at.

“No…”

Before the two ponies was a large stone dias. From it extended a column with a stone sphere on top. Coming out of the column were six small platforms, each containing a gemstone.

“Luna, do you understand what you’re asking of me?!” Celestia demanded. “Putting aside what trying to use the Elements alone will do to me, what will happen to you?! How can you expect me t-”

Celestia stopped when she saw a scene develop before her. The void shifted and changed to a castle courtyard. Celestia instantly recognized it.

“Old Canterlot… Before Discord.”

Nod.

Celestia understood. Luna was using the dreamscape to show a memory, much as they had been doing previously. Celestia wondered for only a moment which memory she was seeing before realizing there could only be one thing she was about to see. A realization confirmed when she heard the wheezing sound of a materializing TARDIS. As soon as the TARDIS fully materialized, the doors opened and Celestia saw herself walk out.

“Sister!”

Celestia saw Luna, still a filly at that time, run up to and embrace her elder sister.

“I am so glad you returned!” the younger Luna cried. “I had thought you left forever!”

“No, sister, I am back. I’m not going anywhere, any more,” Celestia saw herself say.

“What happened to your mane?!” Luna asked as she got a good look at her sister.

Indeed, Celestia’s mane had changed that fateful day. Throughout fillyhood and adolescence, Celestia’s mane had been a bright pink. On her final adventure with the Doctor, she had come into her full power as Princess of the Day. With it, her mane had changed into a shifting aurora.

“I will explain in detail another time,” Celestia had promised her sister. “For now, suffice to say I was gone longer than it seemed even to you. I learned a great deal while I was away, too.”

This time, to Luna’s surprise, Celestia began nuzzling her sister, rather than the other way around.

“Sister?” Luna asked. The Celestia of the present watching the scene remembered that was when Luna noticed she had begun to cry.

“I am so sorry, Luna,” Celestia said quietly. “I was going to just leave you. Leave behind everything and everypony. I was a fool! But I understand now. I am Celestia, Princess of the Day. Just as you are Luna, Princess of the Night. It’s going to be our job to rule over Equestria and guard our little ponies.”

“That’s what the matron tells us,” Luna replied.

“And it’s true,” Celestia told Luna. “From this day forward, I promise I will protect our land and our people. No matter what it takes to do so.”

No matter what it takes.

The vision of the past faded with that voice. Celestia looked behind her to see the gems on top of the dais glowing. When the voice spoke again, Celestia realized it was coming from the red crystal.

‘I will protect Equestria, no matter what it takes,’ the crystal said. Were those just words, Sister?

Celestia looked at the shadow pony behind her when the crystal, which Celestia knew as the Element of Loyalty, called her Sister.

“Luna, are you-?” it was the magenta, star-shaped gem, the Element of Magic, which responded.

The Elements of Harmony bind us together, Sister. In my current state, they are what allow me to enter your dreams.

“You can use the Elements even as you are?”

Nod.

“Then we need to use them to free you from Nightmare Moon!”

Shake.

“No? Why not?”

Again the scene around Celestia shifted. This time she saw herself, the Doctor, and Edge Glimmer standing near the Crystal Empire.

“You’re correct to assume I have absolutely no intention of wielding the Elements against my own sister,” Celestia saw herself tell the Doctor. “Even if I were, however, it wouldn’t matter. I could never wield them on my own!”

Celestia realized this was the conversation they had about wielding the Elements of Harmony.

“What?” Edge Glimmer asked.

“The Elements of Harmony are powerfully magical items, Captain,” Celestia had answered. “They take a great deal of inner strength to use, and even then only respond to ponies who embody the Element of Harmony they represent.”

“She’s right about that,” the Doctor remarked thoughtfully. “They are at their most powerful when each individual element is wielded by a single pony.”

Celestia understood what Luna was telling her.

“I could never use the Elements on my own,” Celestia said. “You can assist me, even as you are… but we wouldn’t be powerful enough to exorcise Nightmare Moon, would we?”

Shake.

“No… No! I won’t accept that! There has to be a way to save you! I’ll use everything I have with the Elements. Every last ounce of power I can pour into the Elements.”

You’re deluding yourself, said the orange Element of Honesty. You know in your heart what has to be done. You are trying to convince yourself otherwise rather than face that truth.

“Of course I am!” Celestia cried. “If you heard that talk then you know what will happen! ‘Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon.’ I… I can’t do that. I won’t!”

Would it be kinder to leave me at the mercy of this creature? Asked the pink Element of Kindness. Would it be better to throw away your life in a desperate gamble that you know will likely fail?

“No… it wouldn’t,” Celestia said sadly. “But… but how can you ask me to sacrifice you to save Equestria, Luna?”

Sister. Hope is not lost. Dark times lay ahead for both you and I. Yet fate is not so cruel as to part us forever. The legend is wrong in one aspect.

Celestia looked up at the blue Element of Laughter. The scene around her shifted once more. The Doctor, Celestia, and Edge Glimmer conversing as they navigated Luna’s dreamscape.

She looked up and watched the discussion between the Doctor and Nightmare Moon continue.

“And if I were to refuse your generous offer?” she saw Nightmare Moon ask.

“Then one way or another, you will spend the next one thousand years locked away in the moon,” the Doctor replied.

Celestia gasped.

“One thousand years…” Celestia repeated, “it’s not permanent? Luna, does this mean we can be reunited?”

The pony of shadows nodded.

“Still… one thousand years…” Celestia muttered. As natural born alicorns, she and Luna were going to be very long lived, if not immortal. Regardless, a millennium was nothing to take lightly.

What is a thousand years for the sake of the ponies we cherish? Asked the purple Element of Generosity. We are the rulers. We are the protectors. It is our place to sacrifice where other ponies can not. Where they should not have to.

“You’re right…” Celestia said in reluctant agreement. “Much as I hate it, you’re right!”

Celestia closed her eyes, fighting back against her tears. She understood what Luna was telling her. Much as her heart cried out against it, she knew what had to be done. Celestia had reigned knowing that she would sacrifice herself any way she had to for the sake of her realm. However, the vow she had made to protect her little ponies had never anticipated her having to fight with her own sister. She resisted the very idea at every turn but now, with Luna herself telling her it was what was needed, Celestia understood she had no choice after all. Not if she wanted to stay true to her and Luna’s ideals.

Celestia opened her eyes. The shadow Luna looked at her and nodded. Celestia looked at herself and saw that she was no longer ‘Ace.’ No longer the rebellious teenage pony that fled her responsibility. Within the dreamscape she was once again, forever and truly, Princess Celestia of Equestria. She looked to Luna again.

“I’m going, Luna,” she said. “I will do what I must now but I swear to you that, even if it truly does take a thousand years, I will free you from Nightmare Moon’s grasp. Until then, wait. Wait, and hang on for me.”

While the features of the shadow of Luna were not distinct, Celestia would forever swear she saw it smile at her.

* * * * *

Celestia awoke.

She stood up slowly. As she did, she thought of the dream she had experienced. She remembered it as clearly as a conscious memory. The visions of the past and the words of Luna through the Elements of Harmony.

“Oh dear sister,” Celestia said, “I am sorry, but you have given me no choice but to use these.”

She said that final word with a touch of distaste. As she spoke, her horn flared to life, illuminating a segment of the throne room floor. The floor split apart, and from a chamber below rose a large stone dias. The very same one she had seen within her dream. She flew up its top and, with her magic, lifted the six gems that rested on it. The Element of Magic appeared out of the sphere on the top of the dias.

The Elements orbited around Celestia’s body. They began to spin around her faster and faster until they seemed almost a solid ring around Celestia’s body. A bright light shone from Celestia and the Elements. Celestia could feel the gems draining her power. She also felt another presence within them.

Luna...

Celestia flew upward, through the hole the two alicorns’ fight had left in the throne room’s ceiling. It was time to end this.

* * * * *

Contrary to his earlier estimate, Edge Glimmer had managed to shield himself and the Doctor against three more of Nightmare Moon’s magical blasts. He knew, however, that he was at his limit. He was sweating heavily and having trouble staying on his hooves.

Edge Glimmer had begun to wonder if the Doctor had truly gotten through to Luna when a bright light burst from the roof of the throne room. He saw Princess Celestia, the Elements of Harmony orbiting her like the ring of a planet. Nightmare Moon noticed the light as well, and abandoned dealing with the Doctor and Edge Glimmer to focus on Celestia.

The two alicorns faced off. Nightmare Moon fired all the magic she could in one concentrated beam. Princess Celestia channeled her magic through five of the six Elements. Each one projected a beam which converged on the sixth Element, the Element of Magic. The beam that burst from it was far larger, and colored with the full spectrum of the rainbow.

Nightmare Moon put up a valiant struggle, but it was hopeless. The moment Celestia took up the Elements of Harmony, her fate was sealed. The rainbow beam overpowered Nightmare Moon’s own in short order. She had just enough time to realize it was happening. The Doctor could hear her screaming “No!” as Celestia’s magic enveloped her body.

The beam from the Elements of Harmony did not stop there. It continued to shoot forward, going far into the night sky until it impacted the moon itself. Edge Glimmer watched as a shape appeared in the moon, a black form that resembled a pony’s head.

“What is that?” he asked the Doctor. When he got no response Edge Glimmer looked to the Doctor and saw he wasn’t even looking at the sky. He had eyes only for Princess Celestia, who had floated down to the castle grounds following the conclusion of the attack. Her aurora mane was gone, replaced by the pink mane Edge Glimmer had seen on her younger self. That was not what disturbed Edge Glimmer, however. He assumed simply that her mane had reverted to its old state due to how much magic she had just used.

What truly disturbed Edge Glimmer was when the Princess let out a wail of pure anguish and began to weep.

“Captain, I’ll take care of Celestia,” the Doctor said. “You… you go see to everypony else.”

Edge Glimmer did not argue. He wished for nothing more than to see his wife and child right now.

* * * * *

The Princess of Equestria’s day lay in the grounds of Whinnychester Castle. Around her, the Elements of Harmony had become dormant. Rather than gemstones they all now were nothing more than inanimate spheres of rock. Celestia paid them no heed. It had taken all of her resolve to finally take up the Elements of Harmony. To actively use them to fight Nightmare Moon. Now the battle was over, and her resolve broke. The fact that she had sensed Luna in the Elements, guiding and supporting her, did little to stop the pain. For now she could sense nothing of her sister anywhere. She was simply too far away now.

“Ace?”

Celestia looked up and saw the Doctor. Without a word, he walked over and sat next to her, wrapping a foreleg around her as he did so. Celestia pressed her muzzle against his body for comfort. How long they stayed like that neither Celestia nor the Doctor really knew.

“The corollary,” Celestia said after a few moments.

“Yes,” the Doctor replied.

“You made sure to take me to some places. To learn lessons that would be valuable when I took up the crown. The other side of that coin was there were places you made sure to never take me. You never took me to any point in Equestria’s history where I… where I would see…”

“The Mare in the Moon,” the Doctor supplied. “You’re right. But, you may recall, we have visited Equestria’s future a time or two in our travels together.”

“And there was no ‘Mare in the Moon’ then,” Celestia answered. “I saw Luna while I was unconscious. She came to me in the dreamscape. She showed me you and Nightmare Moon. You told her that she would spend a thousand years in the moon.”

“The legend I told you was all that was recorded,” the Doctor told her. “Though it was revised following Luna’s return.”

“When will I be able to get her back, Doctor?” Celestia asked. “I know… I know you can’t tell me everything. I know there are rules about that. But please… something… anything.”

The Doctor did not reply immediately. He and Celestia remained in their embrace for several more minutes before he finally spoke.

“In one thousand years, give or take, you’re going to see an old mare’s tale erupt in the sky,” the Doctor said at last. “On that day, you’re going to meet a unicorn. A filly with more magic in her than you will have ever seen before. You will meet her on the very day she gets her Cutie Mark. Bringing Luna back to you will be only the first of the many incrrredible deeds she and her friends accomplish.”

Celestia waited to see if he would say more. He remained silent. The Doctor had lectured her plenty on the dangers of knowing too much about one’s own future. She understood that he was bending, if not breaking, the rules he adhered to as a Time Lord in order to tell her what he had. Regardless, even that little bit was enough. It gave her the one thing she would need above all else to see this next millenium through. The one thing that always kept despair at bay and could allow one to bear even the most terrible of burdens.

The Doctor gave her hope.

* * * * *

“So, this is it then? You’re leaving Whinnychester?”

The Doctor and Celestia sat together in the remains of the throne room. It was several days later and her mane had regained its now normal aurora after she had rested; though Equestria had to go through one night that was far longer than normal before she was recovered enough to raise the sun. Celestia had also begun raising and lowering the moon as well. It would take time for word to get out that Celestia was doing both jobs now. But it would eventually, and the legend of Nightmare Moon, the “Mare in the Moon”, as those who came to Whinnychester seeking an audience with the Princess for answers were already calling it, would be properly born.

“I have no desire to remain in this castle any longer,” was the only answer Celestia gave. Those who wanted answers were finding themselves being directed to go to New Canterlot, the capital that was still under reconstruction. Celestia had effectively shut the castle down.

“What of the Elements of Harmony?” he asked, looking at the stone dais where they rested once more. They had yet to revert to the form of crystals. The Doctor knew they would not do so for quite a long time.

“They can stay where they are,” she said. “Once I’m gone, without Luna or I keeping it at bay, the Everfree will surround the castle. That’s about as good a protection as a high security vault.”

Celestia tried not to glare at the dais, but the Doctor could tell.

“Why not just use a high security vault?” the Doctor asked, already suspecting the answer.

“Because…” Celestia sighed, “because I really don’t want to have to look at them anymore. They’re powerless now anyway. Few things create disharmony like a battle between sisters.”

The Doctor nodded. She was right about that. Since he also knew this was where the Elements would one day be relocated, he made no move to convince her to change her mind.

“Is everything about moved out?” the Doctor asked.

“Nearly. Most ponies aren’t taking much beyond the essentials. I think I’m not the only one eager to leave this place, after all that’s happened.”

That was true enough. After the battle had completed and Celestia had gone through her grief she had assembled the soldiers, staff, and nobility of the castle, confirmed everypony was safe, then immediately gave the order to start clearing out and heading for New Canterlot. Some ponies were confused by the suddenness of the orders, but not one pony questioned it. Whether it was fear of Celestia, or fear of the castle itself, the Doctor wasn’t prepared to say.

The Doctor had stayed throughout this process, which was unusual of him. Typically, once a crisis had been averted, the Doctor was quick to go back into the TARDIS and head to his next destination. This instance had been an exception. He would not leave Celestia until he was sure she was going to be all right.

“There are some final arrangements to make, Professor,” Celestia said as she walked to the door of the throne room. “Once we’re gone, you can feel free to take the TARDIS and head out wherever you’re going to go.”

“You’re sure?”

“I’m sure.”

Celestia had just reached the door when the Doctor called out.

“Celestia… Ace.”

Celestia stopped and looked to her mentor.

“I just wanted to say… I just wanted to say I’m sorry, Ace. I did everything I could. I really hoped there might be a way to prevent all this. Find some way for this event to occur without you losing Luna.”

“I know, Doctor,” Celestia said, giving him the first real smile he had seen in days. “It wasn’t meant to be. You taught me that Fixed Points were about the impact they had on history. I think we both forgot something very important in that.”

“The impact it would have on you,” the Doctor said with a nod.

“Farewell, Professor,” Celestia said.

“Farewell, Ace,” the Doctor said. “Remember, one face or another, I will always be here for you.”

“Thank you.”

The Doctor stayed in the castle and watched the last wagon train heading from the castle to the new capital. Once they were all gone, he returned to the TARDIS. It was right where he had left it, just those few eternal days ago. He was surprised to find he wasn’t the last pony in the castle. Three unicorns were waiting by the TARDIS. The Doctor almost didn’t recognize Edge Glimmer. The brown unicorn stood there without his armor, next to his wife and child, who was circling the TARDIS in wonder under her mother’s watchful eye.

“Come to see me off, Captain?”

“Not ‘Captain’ anymore, Doctor,” Edge Glimmer replied. “We had hoped to see you before you left.”

In that moment, the Doctor knew what the stallion was about to ask, and now fully understood the significance of the conversation his future self had made sure he overheard.

“Doctor,” Edge Glimmer began, “I’ve resigned my post. I’m no longer a royal guard. I… I can not really see a point in doing so without Princess Luna here. Not after having failed her so completely.”

“You failed no more than anypony else, Edge Glimmer,” the Doctor replied. The unicorn shook off the comment.

“Nonetheless, serving Princess Luna has been my life… our lives,” he amended, nodding to Meanderly, “since we were very young. As much as we love Princess Celestia, as well, without our Lady there is nothing for us in this place.”

“Doctor,” Meanderly said, taking up the request, “I have heard from the stories that your ship can travel in time. So we have a request that we must make of you.”

“You want me to take you to Luna,” the Doctor said. It wasn’t a question. It was obvious where they were going with this. They both nodded.

“I can’t do that.”

The unicorn couple both looked surprised.

“Why ever not, Doctor?” Meanderly asked. “Princess Luna is gone. From what Princess Celestia has told us, she will be gone for one thousand years. If you had to be away from home for such a long period, would you not want a friendly face to be there with you when you returned?”

“I sympathize,” the Doctor said, “Truly I do. But I cannot do it. I am sorry but I cannot.”

“What possible reason could have to refuse us?” Edge Glimmer demanded. “From what I know of you this is a trivial request.”

“Under most circumstances, you would be right. In these…” The Doctor sighed. “What I am about to tell you can never reach Celestia’s ears. I’ve given her too much knowledge of the future as it is. For her sake, and Luna’s, this stays between the two of you and goes no further. Understood?”

Both ponies nodded. The Doctor continued.

“Meanderly, do you recall when you met me last? You spoke with my companion about your pregnancy?”

Meanderly nodded, remembering the conversation the Doctor had watched while in Luna’s mind.

“I know what you spoke of at that time. You told my friend that you were going to give your daughter a special name. A name to carry on an old tradition in your family.”

Meanderly nodded.

“It is for that very legacy that you must remain here, in your own time.”

* * * * *

Edge Glimmer and his family watched as the TARDIS made its strange wheezing sound and vanished into thin air. Meanderly stood beside him, nuzzling against him. Their daughter sat enthralled by the sight. Once the blue box had vanished, however, the baby quickly got bored and began wandering on her own. Despite her own sadness, Meanderly immediately broke away and began calling out to her.

“Come back here,” she called.

Edge Glimmer stayed where he was. Watching the place where the box had stood. The Doctor had explained exactly what he’d meant by their legacy. He had explained in detail, in fact, but really there were only two words in the whole thing that mattered to them.

Doctor… Edge Glimmer thought as he watched Meanderly mind the baby, I understand now why you can’t bring us with you. I understand also why you felt the need to apologize, but you really didn’t need to.

He smiled as he watched his little girl chafe under her mother’s watch and try to sneak away no matter how many times Meanderly pulled her back with her magic. Meanderly was growing quickly frustrated with her inquisitive daughter.

“No, we are leaving soon. You stay with mother.”

Yes it’s sad. But because of you, Meanderly knows that her dream will come true for generations to come. As for me? Though I will not do it with my own hooves and horn… though it will only come long after I am gone from this world…

Edge Glimmer’s thoughts were briefly interrupted by his wife’s scolding of their daughter.

“Twilight Moon! You will listen to your mother and stay put, do you understand me?”

I know, Doctor, that one day, I will save my Princess. For that, I give you my deepest thanks.

TO BE CONCLUDED