• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 34 Comments

Doctor Whooves: Nightmare in Old Equestria - sgamer82



The Seventh Doctor's visit to his former companion, Alicorn Celestia of Equestria, becomes a trek through the mind, dreams, and soul of Princess Luna to try and avert the crisis of Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,791

Part Five

“Captain, are you all right?” a mare’s voice asked. Edge Glimmer looked up to see Princess Celestia, still in her patchwork jacket and looking young, watching him with concern.

“I am fine, Princess.”

“Good. I’m pleased,” she turned to the Doctor. “Professor, that… thing that was impersonating my sister, what is it? Do not try to evade the question, either. It’s clear you know what’s happening.”

“I actually know very little,” the Doctor replied. “No accounts exist of the events of this night. Instead they have become shrouded in the mists of myth and legend. That is the reason we’re here, in the Crystal Empire. We have long since passed through the realm of dreams. Now we are in the land of memory, and what we learn from the memories present here will, I hope, be invaluable.”

“To what end?” Celestia asked.

“To save Luna, if at all possible. But to do so we need information that won’t be found in the waking world. Only here in Luna’s dreams and memories will we learn what we need. Only here will we uncover the true origins of ‘Nightmare Moon.’”

MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC
&
DOCTOR WHO
IN
NIGHTMARE IN OLD EQUESTRIA
PART FIVE

“Nightmare Moon?” Celestia asked. “Is that what that creature is called?”

The Doctor, having been looking at the Crystal Empire before them, turned to Celestia.

“It’s what it will be called in the fullness of time.”

“What do you know about it?” Edge Glimmer asked.

“Very little, actually, beyond the legends.”

“What do the legends say, Professor?”

“I can’t tell you that, not here.”

“Not acceptable Doctor,” Celestia snapped. “You’ve led us blindly along far enough. We need some answers.”

“That’s exactly what we’re here for, Celestia,” the Doctor told her. “But just telling you is out of the question. You know perfectly well the dangers of knowing too much about your own future. Even legends have a grrrain of truth to them and if I tell you what I know we risk setting that future in stone. As it is, depending on what we find here there may be an alternative. I need you to trust me.”

Celestia was silent for a moment. She took a deep breath, as if to steel herself before she answered.

“No, Doctor,” Celestia told him. “Any other time, I would put my trust in you wholeheartedly. Right now? With Luna’s life, quite possibly her soul at stake? I go no further until you tell me what those legends say.”

Edge Glimmer stood by Celestia in support. It was clear to the Doctor that they were going to be stubborn about this.

“You understand the risk?” the Doctor asked. Celestia nodded.

“If there are legends in the future already, then the risk exists no matter what we do. As you say, there may be an alternative. If there is, ignorance will not allow us to find it.”

“Very well,” the Doctor said. Celestia thought she saw the hint of a smile on his face as she stared him down. What he definitely did was motion for his two companions to sit down, which they did as they listened to him tell his tale.

“Once upon a time,” the Doctor began, “in the land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who rrruled together, and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies.”

The two Equestrian ponies both caught on to the words “there were.”

“But as time went on, the younger sister became rrresentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night.”

Both ponies listening were suddenly remembering every past instance of Princess Luna’s growing bitterness.

“One fateful day, the younger unicorn rrrefused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one’s heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon.

“She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon… and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.”

“Permanently…” Edge Glimmer murmured. Princess Celestia’s reaction, however, was very different. She began to laugh.

“Princess?” Edge Glimmer asked.

“Sorry, Captain. I know it’s inappropriate, but I couldn’t help myself. I use the Elements of Harmony to banish Luna? The very idea is ludicrous!”

“Ace…” The Doctor said. “If things escalate too far, that may be the only choice.”

“You misunderstand, Doctor,” Celestia said as she stood back up. “You’re correct to assume I have absolutely no intention of wielding the Elements against my own sister. Even if I were, however, it wouldn’t matter. I could never wield them on my own!”

“What?” Edge Glimmer asked.

“The Elements of Harmony are powerfully magical items, Captain. They take a great deal of inner strength to use, and even then only respond to ponies who embody the Element of Harmony they represent.”

“She’s right about that,” the Doctor remarked thoughtfully. “They are at their most powerful when each individual element is wielded by a single pony. Anypony trying to wield more than one Element at a time would most likely have any magical energy within them drained completely before they could even be used. It’s using a sledgehammer to crrrack a peg, except the sledgehammer takes a great deal of strength to lift up only to become a simple mallet on the way down. Most times you’d be better off just using the mallet to begin with. Alicorns alone have the magical reserves necessary to even consider wielding multiple Elements at once.”

“And a single alicorn trying to wield all six?” Celestia shook her head. “I have more raw power than Luna and I know I would never be able to accomplish it.”

“But then why-” Edge Glimmer began to ask.

“Don’t you see, Captain?” Celestia said. “The legend the Professor is reciting from can’t possibly be what happens. I’m not sure yet what will happen, or how we’ll save Luna, but I know at least we don’t have to worry about me ‘banishing her permanently in the moon!’ In fact,” Celestia began to grin, “I would be willing to wager I’m the one who came up with the legend. You said it yourself, Doctor, there are no written accounts of what happened.”

“True, you know enough about time to know that wrrriting such events down can cause them to become fixed. It would be in your interest to create a false tale, instead,” the Doctor began to smile. “Then perhaps, if the Elements are not what bring about the fall of Nightmare Moon, there is something else we can do. Which means it’s more imperative than ever we find out just what Nightmare Moon truly is. Ace, Captain, what happened when you and Luna came here originally?”

As the Doctor asked, he began to walk towards the empire, the Princess right behind. Edge Glimmer got to his hooves and followed.

“We first learned of Sombra’s betrayal when one of my lieutenants who had accompanied him there on a diplomatic mission made his way home,” Edge Glimmer answered for the Princess. “He galloped for days with little rest in order to make sure we were alerted as soon as possible. Among the crystals found within the empire are those that could be used to amplify unicorn magic. Sombra discovered how to manipulate them and used them as his chance.”

“Luna had a hard time accepting what we had learned,” Celestia continued. “It wasn’t long after that guard’s return that we got a message from Sombra declaring himself King of the Crystal Empire. Fortunately, by then most of our Guard had been mobilized so we were able to march on the Empire far faster than Sombra had anticipated.”

“When we arrived, the Princess insisted on going in alone to speak to Sombra. She thought she could talk him out of this, make him realize he was making a mistake.”

“Everypony warned her it was dangerous. Possibly even a trap, as Sombra apparently agreed to a face to face meeting almost immediately,” Celestia said, picking up from Edge Glimmer. “I followed in secret, ready to intervene if necessary.

“They did indeed speak for a time. I couldn’t get close enough to hear what they said without alerting anypony to my presence. I only know they spoke, it became heated, and eventually they attacked one another. Sombra struck Luna with some kind of dark magic and I… I…”

Celestia couldn’t quite bring herself to say what she had done.

“You intervened,” the Doctor said for her. Celestia nodded, and Edge Glimmer noted a look of grim satisfaction on her face as she did so.

“Then the key may be in either the conversation or that magic. Let’s go. There’s no more time to waste.”

With that the three ponies galloped their way towards the Crystal Empire.

* * * * *

“This place is much gloomier than I remember when I was here.”

The Crystal Empire, heralded through Equestrian history as a place of beauty and wonder, looked tarnished. The crystals which made up many of the structures were clouded, the sky was a grim shade of dark red, thunderclouds appeared to fire off lightning at random.

“It wasn’t like this when you came in reality?” the Doctor asked out of curiosity.

“Not entirely,” Celestia said with a shake of her head. “It was still pretty bad, but this seems even worse than that.

“Princess Luna has said before that dreams and memories are influenced by emotions,” Edge Glimmer replied. Celestia nodded and continued.

“Luna is better than most at keeping them unaffected, but an especially traumatic memory will carry scars, no matter how powerful the pony is.”

“Given what I’ve learned in my own jaunt down Luna’s memory streets,” said the Doctor, continuing before anypony could correct his metaphor. “I doubt she’s experienced anything as traumatic as she did here.”

“True enough,” Edge Glimmer replied.

As the trio walked through the Empire’s main city they saw the Crystal Ponies that resided within. Their forms were indistinct, Luna having only seen them from above, but one did not need a clear look to know they were miserable. Their new King was definitely making his presence felt. Eventually they reached the Crystal Palace, which seemed even grayer and dimmer than the rest of the Empire combined.

The trio wandered the palace, generally heading upward since Celestia remembered the throne room being near the top of the palace. They were saved navigating the labyrinthine halls of the palace by the fact that Luna had been escorted through from the same gate they had entered. The ponies simply stuck to the clearest visible paths, where Luna’s memory was sharpest, and soon found themselves face to face with the Princess of the Night and the would-be King of Darkness.

Sombra sat upon a throne in the chamber. At first glance he appeared a unicorn like any other. It was his coloration that made him noticeable. Most unicorn horns matched the fur of their owner. Sombra’s was a dark red, in stark contrast to his black coat and mane. Old superstition had held such ponies were powerful in magics, and Luna knew that there was in fact more than mere superstition surrounding that claim. It was, Celestia remembered, what had prompted her to make the unicorn her pupil. Looking at her sister now, Celestia felt sure that she was regretting that decision.

“Sombra, what madness has taken thee?” Luna asked the black unicorn, barely keeping the Royal Voice from her tone. “Thy task was to aid these ponies with their studies on the new crystals. Yet We learn thou instead hast led a coup against them! Our Faithful student, what hast thou done?”

“My Princess,” Sombra began with a bow. “I have indeed done as you asked. I came to the empire and worked with them to uncover truths about a new kind of crystal. It had magical properties seen nowhere else in Equestria. In my study I learned it could give a tremendous boost to unicorn magic.”

“All well and good, but that fails to explain your takeover of this Empire.”

“Then please allow me to finish. My lady, while these crystals do provide an increase in power, they do so at the cost of inhibition. As a unicorn grows more powerful they also grow more unhinged and dangerous to everypony around them.“

“Thy point, student?” Luna asked.

“There was talk amongst the Crystal Ponies of selling these crystals in Equestria, with full knowledge of those effects. Some even suggested embedding these crystals into amulets so that a unicorn could wear them all the time. I tried to step in, to insist they respect the danger, but they refused to listen.”

Luna was silent for a long time. Edge Glimmer wondered if the Princess was seriously considering the line Sombra was trying to feed her. His Lady did not disappoint him in that regard.

“We give thy falsehoods credit for audacity, if naught else Sombra.”

Sombra’s pleasant expression changed into a glare so instantly Edge Glimmer almost stepped back.

“Even assuming thy story true, dost thou seriously expect Us to believe that your only recourse to such a threat was to conquer the entire Crystal Empire? To commit an act of war when the crystal ponies had not yet actually done anything? If thou truly believe that then a thou art a fool! But that is not thy belief, is it? Just like Meanderly and many others, Sombra, thou hast lived in Whinnychester, learned from Us and Our sister. We in turn have learned from thou.

As Luna spoke, the Royal Voice had begun to creep into her words. Now she let it loose in its full fury.

Dost thou truly think that after all these years We cannot detect a lie when We hear one? We ask again, Sombra, what madness has taken thee?

Sombra did not answer. He merely glared at his mentor. Luna let out a sigh.

“I had hoped that I had heard wrong,” Luna continued, dropping the royal We and voice. “Sombra, my student, it is not too late. We can end this, here and now. There will be consequences, but if we take steps now, perhaps the Crystal Ponies can be convinced to let us handle those consequences in-”

“Enough,” Sombra said at last. His voice held a finality to it that shocked Luna.

“Pardon?” she asked. She was unused to anypony interrupting her.

“I said enough, Princess. As in I’ve had enough. Enough of this conversation, enough of being the servant, enough of you! You ask what madness has overtaken me? No madness at all. I simply realized what it was I truly desired. I’m not like that little fool Meanderly or her sycophant husband. I am not content to be some naive mare’s errand boy.”

“Naive?!” Luna asked in shock.

“Oh yes. Naive. You and your sister both, ‘Princess.’ All the power you have, and yet you refuse to use it! This world could be yours in a breath, yet all you do is prattle on about Harmony and friendship! I considered this, and I realized just what needed to be done.

“If you will not make proper use of your great power, then perhaps somepony else should posses it instead.”

The Doctor, Celestia, and Edge Glimmer all looked around the chamber as the throne room’s door slammed shut and magical barriers formed along the windows. Sombra had sealed the room, they were trapped. Luna was immediately on the defensive, but hesitation at the thought of fighting her student cost her. A blast of magic hit her solidly in the chest, throwing her to the throne room floor.

“Luna!” Celestia screamed and ran to her sister, only to go right through as she tried to help Luna to her hooves. Edge Glimmer, for his part, charged at Sombra, fully prepared to gore the unicorn with his own horn. He too passed right through his target.

“Both of you!” the Doctor cried out. “Remember, this isn’t reality. We cannot affect what is about to happen!”

As Luna lay on the floor, black bands of magical energy bound her legs, immobilizing her. Sombra stood over her, using his magic to levitate a small box to him. From it he extracted a small necklace, an amulet in which the centerpiece resembled an alicorn.

“Do you like it?” Sombra asked conversationally. “I had it made just for the occasion. What I said before about the crystals you see here was true. The unicorns who used these gems to channel their power went mad. Those are, however, the long term effects. In the short term, all using this amulet will do is increase my power several fold. Increase it enough to match even an alicorn’s power.”

“To what end, my faithless student?” Luna asked through gritted teeth as Sombra levitated the alicorn-shaped amulet around his neck.

“For exactly the reason I said. If you will not use your great powers, then I will make them mine!”

Sombra’s horn, rather than shine like it should when casting magic, became surrounded by dark energy.

“Dark magic?!” Luna said in shock. “Where could thou have learned of that?!”

“Neither Whinnychester nor Canterlot had any tomes involving this power,” Sombra admitted. “You and Celestia saw to that. The crystal ponies, since they cannot use unicorn magic, never had a reason to worry about removing or hiding such tomes. I learned a great deal once I found their libraries.”

Sombra released the dark energy building at his horn, firing it into Luna. The Princess of the Night screamed as a beam of pure darkness pierced her heart. Heedless of the Doctor’s warnings both Celestia and Edge Glimmer were firing magic at the image of Sombra. The Doctor, however, stood to the side and watched the scene unfold. Just as he had in the memory of his future self, he watched the mouth of the black unicorn as he muttered a spell to himself.

“So that was your plan,” the Doctor said to himself. His companions heard him, as they stopped their assault in the memory of Sombra to look at him. Before the Doctor could explain further Luna unleashed a bolt of magic from her horn, placing a shield before her and pushing away the beam of dark magic that had been affecting her. As she fought, Princess Luna was able to spare some magic for her bindings and got back to her hooves. Sombra struggled against the barrier for a time; until the amulet around his neck flared up. A surge of darkness burst from Sombra’s horn, impacting and quickly shattering the defensive wall Luna had put up.

This time Luna was struck down. As she fell the world around the Doctor and his companions began to break and shatter. As the Princess of the Night lay motionless, Sombra used his powers to remove the amulet from around his neck. He levitated it into a box and teleported it to parts unknown. All around, the memory grew dark. The last thing any of the three saw was Princess Celestia, in all her full glory crashing into the room and standing between her sister and Sombra, now without his amulet.

“What’s happening?” Edge Glimmer asked.

“Luna lost consciousness at this point,” Princess Celestia answered. “If we’re going through memories rather than dreams, then we won’t see anything Luna herself doesn’t know happened.”

No sooner had Celestia finished speaking than a pair of voices began to speak.

Naive.

No.

Never saw it coming, did you?

I thought I had found somepony who understood the night as I did.

“Doctor?!” Edge Glimmer said. “These voices, one of them is Princess Luna!”

Sombra did understand. Better than yourself.

He understood only darkness...

Fool. The night is darkness.

No!

Yes! It has become a place of evil. No wonder ponies shy away from it.

“The other sounds like Luna’s voice,” Celestia said. “But something is off.”

That can’t be true.

Too blind to see. Too weak to act. Poor wittle Wuna. Needs big sister to clean up her mess. Perhaps Equestria only needs one Princess.

The only reply from Luna’s voice was a quiet sob.

But which should it be?

“It’s Nightmare Moon,” the Doctor proclaimed. “Or, rather, the entity that will eventually become Nightmare Moon. Celestia, can you wake us up? Nap time is over now.”

Celestia nodded. With a flash of her horn, the darkness around the trio became total.

* * * * *

“Professor? Captain?”

“Here, Princess.”

“I’m awake Celestia.”

Celestia was unsteady standing up. She wondered if it was because she had spent time in a smaller body while in Luna’s mind. Once on her hooves she checked on the other two. The Doctor was propping himself up on his umbrella while Edge Glimmer was also shaky getting back onto his hooves.

“What did we just witness?” Edge Glimmer asked.

“Sombra’s last gambit,” the Doctor said as he steadied himself. “Whether it was his plan all along, or he only came up with it when he realized you were coming, I cannot guess. Regardless, it’s clear to me what he intended.”

“He wanted to claim Luna’s power for his own,” Celestia said. “Though no unicorn, even Sombra, would have been capable of holding all of that power in his body.”

“Which is why he wasn’t after just Luna’s power. That last incantation before you broke in, Celestia, was intended to allow him to steal Luna’s body, too.”

“Possession?!” Edge Glimmer’s eyes became wide. “Is such a thing even possible?”

“It would take a highly skilled unicorn to even attempt it,” Celestia answered. “But even the most powerful unicorn could only attempt it on another unicorn. Or a pegasus or earth pony.”

“Which is where that amulet came in,” the Doctor said. “It gains a good deal of infamy over the years to come. Sombra was exactly right in the effects it has on ponies who have wielded it. Great power at the cost of mental stability. Which is perhaps why he had the sense to use it for only one specific purpose.”

“But then why discard it on my arrival?” Celestia asked, staring at the floor in thought. “Whatever his intentions, it should have been in his interest to keep it and battle me. He had no chance of winning without it.”

“That’s just it. He never intended to defeat you, Celestia,” the Doctor replied. “I couldn’t hear him, but I read Sombra’s lips during the incantation. The spell that he hit Luna with at the very beginning was what he truly needed the amulet for.”

“What did it do?” Edge Glimmer asked. “Part of the possession?”

“Yes. It was the spadework. The spell that would place the way for Sombra to complete his theft of Luna’s physical body. The darkness that entered Luna would’ve eaten away at her soul, her essence, to create a space in which Sombra could enter and finish the job once his own soul was free of its body.”

“How did he intend to accomplish that?” Edge Glimmer asked in horrified fascination.

“In the simplest way possible,” the Doctor replied. “By dying.”

“If that was his intention, then his plan backfired,” Celestia replied, a grim satisfaction in her voice. “After I saw what he did to Luna, the one thing I didn’t do was kill him.”

Edge Glimmer shivered. He was so used to his own Lady’s remarkable temper that it was easy to forget that Princess Celestia was every bit as capable of that same anger. Nopony had witnessed it, but it was well known that Princess Celestia had not killed Sombra, but instead had transformed his very being to shadow. He, and the Crystal Empire, vanished after that to parts unknown.

“You’re right about that,” the Doctor said to the Princess. “Sombra paid the price for underestimating you. Removing him, however, did not remove the dark magic from Luna. It’s still there.”

“Only now,” Edge Glimmer said, hoping he was catching on properly. “Sombra isn’t there to direct it. It’s been acting on its own?”

“Not at first. The dark magic had no mind of its own, as such,” the Doctor explained. “When it was cast, it was given a specific task: Create a place for its master and sustain itself until that master entered into the body. When that master never arrived, the magic set out to sustain itself indefinitely.”

“The attacks!” Celestia exclaimed. The Doctor nodded. Edge Glimmer simply looked at the pair, feeling like he was falling behind. The Princess explained.

“Where normal unicorn magic may draw a small amount of ambient power to sustain itself, dark magic does the same by completely consuming that which is around it. Only it couldn’t feed off of Luna, not without risking her life.”

Edge Glimmer looked to the Doctor as he continued to spin the tale.

“That is not the same thing as saying it couldn’t feed off of her at all. Dark magic is attracted to negative emotions. Anger, pain, despair.”

“All things the Princess would naturally feel following Sombra’s betrayal,” Edge Glimmer realized. “It fed off of those emotions as much as it could.”

“And amplified them in Luna herself to do so,” the Doctor replied. “But that, as Celestia said, couldn’t last forever. It needed something more. In feeding off Luna as much it could, it also began to be able to tap into Luna’s natural abilities. That is the source of the ponies who have been attacked in their dreams, Captain Edge Glimmer. This darkness has been attacking ponies, causing fear and terror to feed off of.”

“That could explain why it only ever attacked during the day…” Edge Glimmer speculated. “We had been assuming the attacker was intelligent, choosing not to attack during the nighttime hours. If this was happening to the Princess, and she was completely unaware of it-”

“Our arguments aside, if Luna so much as suspected something like this she would’ve alerted us immediately,” Celestia interrupted.

“Indeed. If she was unaware of it, then the only time this creature could act was when the Princess slept. Either it was incapable of doing so otherwise, or had enough intelligence not to try anything when she was conscious.”

“Which explains the reason for the attack that prompted us to come in here to begin with,” the Doctor was pleased the captain was keeping up. “We had finally gotten Luna to take a night to rest. It was able to act during the night for the first time.”

“But then...” Edge Glimmer said. “One thing doesn’t seem right, Doctor. You said that this dark power was unintelligent. But while we were in the Princess’s dream, it spoke to me. It tried to reason with me and, if what you said is true, tried to compel me to obey it.”

It was Princess Celestia who answered.

“If it started out feeding on Luna’s own negative feelings, on her sadness and anger, then it’s quite possible it’s gained some intelligence of its own as a side-effect.”

“What started as a formless, mindless blob of dark magic has become a shadow of its host,” the Doctor said. “A creature that acts on the feelings the pony herself never would. That is Nightmare Moon. The essence of all Luna’s insecurities and desires to lash out gradually overpowering her.”

“That thing will cause neither my sister nor Equestria any further harm!” Celestia declared. “Now that we know what we face, the next order of business is to exorcise that darkness from Luna’s… from Luna’s… Where’s Luna?”

The Doctor and Edge Glimmer turned their heads immediately to look at the bed upon which Princess Luna had been sleeping when they entered. So intent on their conversation none of the three had noticed that the bed was empty, and appeared as if it had been for some time. A quick look around the room saw nopony, possessed by darkness or otherwise, in the room aside from the three of them. Edge Glimmer carefully went to the bedchamber’s main door and opened it. On the other side was the same guards that had opened the door for them when they first entered. Nothing seemed wrong at first glance until Edge Glimmer got a look at their eyes.

The guards’ eyes had changed, into the dark, cat-like eyes of the creature Nightmare Moon.

“Ah,” said one of the guards, a unicorn, “you’re awake. We wondered how long it would take.”

The pony spoke with a voice other than his own. It spoke with the voice of Nightmare Moon. The guard’s horn flared with a black darkness and all three ponies, even Princess Celestia, were restrained.

TO BE CONTINUED