• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 9,016 Views, 447 Comments

Xenophilia: Advanced - SpinelStride



Alt-universe Leroverse story. An engineering student named Gus ends up in Ponyville. But how much good will understanding F=mA do when FiM?

  • ...
43
 447
 9,016

Chapter 3: Healing

I was sitting in a soft, overstuffed couch, with a bowl of popcorn in my lap. My hand was resting on the neck of a midnight-blue unicorn. A television in front of us was playing a movie. Inception. Her horn glowed blue. Several kernels of popcorn floated from the bowl to her mouth.

"Hello, Gus," she said to me. Her fur was warm and soft under my hand. "I am Princess Luna. My sister asked me to aid you."

I recategorized 'unicorn' to 'alicorn.' I stroked her neck. The sensation was pleasant. "I need aid?"

She mmmmed quietly. I could tell it was contemplative, not a reaction to being petted, though she enjoyed that too. I didn't feel any great insight; I was simply aware of her reactions as though they were hovering in gold letters over her head.

"I fear you do," she said at last. "My sister sent word to me from Ponyville Hospital. She is with you there still."

"Still?" I asked.

"Dreams are my realm, Gus," she told me. "This is one of them. Your memories gave this place its shape. I must stay with you while Celestia does her work, and then she can return to you while I do mine."

I watched a top spinning on the screen. It spun on and on. "Do visitors often gain the personal attention of both rulers of Equestria?" I asked. If I was dreaming, I should be able to dream what I want. I tried to dream of being whole again, but nothing seemed to change.

Luna saw the attempt and looked up to give me a sad smile. Even if I couldn't feel it, even if it was dream-certainty, being able to recognize expressions was welcome. "Some do. Most of those come to face our horns and hooves. I do not remember the last time we came together to heal."

A thought came to mind. "Celestia controls the sun. Her work would be setting the sun. It was afternoon when she came to see me."

"Yes. It was. And now she is doing her royal duty, and then she will return to the task of healing you." Her wing extended and rested against my back. It was the softest thing I had ever felt. I set my hand on her feathers. She made a small sound, and I abruptly knew in crisp, clinical detail that she was desperately lonely and afraid, that casual physical contact was a rare and valuable treasure to her. I kept my hand there.

"I was feeling much better," I said.

"Sometimes a barb does not hurt when it stays quietly in place," Princess Luna responded quietly. "But one must bear the wound that comes with pulling it out, lest it fester unseen." She was wearing a helmet I hadn't noticed before, or perhaps it had materialized. I was dreaming, after all. I moved my hand up and lifted it from her head. She twitched, startled, and looked up at me.

I looked at the helmet. Blue metal, with a long nose guard, a hole for her horn, and a space in the back for her mane to spill through. I heard music. I recognized it. I always liked the Lion King. I sang along. It seemed like the right thing to do. Dream logic.

"Some of us fall by the wayside
And some of us soar to the stars
And some of us sail through our troubles
And some have to live with the scars."

I tossed the helmet aside. It was gone before it hit the ground. Luna was looking up at me.

"This is not how I intended this dream to go," she said. "My past is not what you need to concern yourself with now."

I set my hand on her neck again. "Am I dying?" I asked.

"No!" she exclaimed, and began to rear. The overstuffed couch absorbed her movement, though, and she settled. "No," she repeated. "Celestia is healing you. There were... terrible things done to you, Gus. You have our word, we will not let you suffer from them any longer. Nopony should."

"Will I be fixed when she's done?"

Luna lowered her head and closed her eyes. "I do not know. You will be free of... that mark. And of what it was doing. What effects it may have already had on you, I cannot say, nor what wounds you suffered before you bore it. We will do all that our powers can."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because nopony else can, and because..." She looked to the floor where I had tossed the helmet, but nothing appeared. "... because if we did not, we would not be fit to have our little ponies follow us."

We watched the rest of the movie quietly together. It was much better than numbers and pain. Then The Last Unicorn. Luna tried not to let me see her cry for poor Amalthea.

***

The sun was rising when I awoke. I could see exactly how. Princess Celestia was still in my hospital room, facing the window, her horn glowing golden. That pink mane and tail had changed colors; they were the flowing ethereal colors of the sunrise.

My vision receded, as though staring down a long tube. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and my body refused to move. All I could see was that mane. I could not make my eyes so much as blink.

It is a distinctly absurd situation to realize that you are simultaneously terrified into paralysis and completely unaffected at the same time.

The mane moved. "Gus!" she said, and that shifting field of color abruptly returned to pinkness. I could move again. I could not identify the emotion in her voice. I had begun to grow accustomed to recognizing those again, in Luna's dream.

"How am I doing?" I asked. I lifted a hand and touched the side of my head. A thick bandage was taped in place there.

"You are safe," she said. "What was done to you was monstrous, and I do not know all of the effects it was meant to have. That mark ran deep, but I have taken it from you and scattered it on the morning light. They will not have you again."

"Who?" I asked. A logical question. It would be a very bad idea to go back to someone who likes burning manacles and screwing things into your ribs.

"The ones who had you," was her response. Vague and uninformative. "They knew where you were, and now they know I have placed you under my protection. I will not speak of them further and you will not ask."

Phrased as a factual statement. I noted that tone of voice as 'royal command' for future reference. "Yes, your highness," I agreed.

I was unable to so readily translate the look she gave me. Approval for using the right protocol to speak to a princess? Annoyance and assuming I was being sarcastic? I recalled Luna's loneliness and wondered if Celestia was unhappy to be reminded of her high station. But I didn't ask.

"I will take your advice, Gus," she told me. "Two of my guards, two of Luna's, to watch over you while you heal and then afterward, until you are confident in your own harmlessness. My student, Twilight Sparkle, will report to me on your progress. If you need to contact me, she will be able to help you. Please, Gus, if you have even the slightest thought that your condition is growing worse, inform me immediately."

She yawned hugely and raised a hoof to her mouth. "Ah... Excuse me, Gus. I have grown out of practice with working through the night, and the court will be busy today. I have to return to Canterlot."

"Travel safely, your highness," I told her.

She smiled at me. I failed to figure out what kind of smile. "Remember, Gus. If anything changes, tell me. I will do all I can to help." She paused, then added, "I will not hurt you. I promise you, I will not hurt you."

She was very fixated on reassuring me. A result of her experience with Lero, clearly. "I'm not afraid, Princess. I can't be," I told her. She gave me a different smile, slightly wider, and ducked her head to pass through the door.

***

A guard pony in golden armor came in and sat in the corner shortly thereafter. He introduced himself as Solid Stalwart, and that was all. Nurse Redheart and Doctor Vital Signs checked on me repeatedly all morning long. Looking at it from their perspective, I could understand why they would be professionally interested in the case. An alien being with a strange injury who spent the entire previous evening and night being treated by their princess, who herself was powerful enough to raise and lower the sun itself in a matter of minutes. I would have been interested myself if I could have been.

Lero visited for lunch. He brought with him a lavender unicorn with a six-pointed star on her rear, both sides, and introduced her as Twilight Sparkle, his wife and Princess Celestia's personal student. He also brought lunch and jokes about hospital food being a constant across worlds. The rubbery eggs and overcooked pancakes I'd had for breakfast supported that hypothesis. He had some sort of fried fish sandwiches, and they were delicious, whether or not I enjoyed them. The unicorn had a daisy sandwich instead. We talked.

"That was Zecora who found you," Twilight Sparkle said. "She lives in the Everfree Forest, which is also where Fluttershy found Lero, so it's not really surprising it was her."

"I should thank her," I said. A lifetime of habitual manners doesn't go away.

"She'd appreciate that," Twilight confirmed. "She used to be, um, misunderstood in town."

"I had a professor like that," I said. "A really nice guy, but socially inept. He was always surprised when someone thanked him for just about anything. It always made his day."

Twilight said something rapidly, her eyes widening. I held up a hand. "Slower, please. I can't understand when you talk quickly."

She continued to talk quickly for a moment, and then Lero swatted her on the rear. She let out a very equine snort and reared back, presumably in surprise.

"Slower," he told her.

She blushed. I tried to figure out how she managed to do that when her face was covered in fur. The optics of it just didn't make any sense.

"You had a professor?" she said, slowly and distinctly. "You were a student at a college?"

I nodded. "Before the accident. I had almost finished. I was able to graduate later. I think it was a year later. It might have been more."

She was leaning in toward me, her eyes seeming to sparkle. Maybe that was where her name came from. "What sorts of things did you study? How do human colleges work?" And then she was off again, rattling off questions faster than I could understand her words.

Lero laughed and pulled her back against himself, hugging her until she noticed I wasn't answering, and then she blushed again. "Twilight, you've been hanging around Pinkie Pie too much lately," he said.

With names like 'Twilight Sparkle,' 'Redheart' and 'Vital Signs' already introduced to me, it was easy to pick out 'Pinkie Pie' as a name. I assumed she'd be pink. "I don't mind," I said, and it was of course true. "I don't have any vital appointments to keep."

Twilight took a deep breath and nodded her head. Lero released his grip on her. "Okay. So. First question. Oh! Wait. Let me get Spike so he can take proper notes!"

Lero laughed. "This isn't a research paper, Twilight. We're helping Gus adjust."

Twilight stamped a hoof. "It can be both!" she insisted, then added, "Fine, I'll write it myself." A quill, an inkpot, and a piece of paper materialized in a purple glowing field in midair.

"Did you teleport those, or create them?" I asked without thinking. It could have been reflexive, or perhaps I have some emotional responses after all, ones I can't feel, but can be influenced by? That would be another promising sign. Having the calm of a Zen master wasn't a bad thing, but it wasn't who I was.

"Oh, I teleported them from home, but how do you know about teleporting? Lero," and she was talking too fast again.

Lero held up a finger. Twilight trailed off. "We didn't have it, but we had thought of it," he told her, enunciating exaggeratedly and slowly.

Twilight cleared her throat. "Oh. I see. So. First question. Or first question from me, since you asked the first question... or, first question I meant to ask before asking how you knew about teleportation. You were a student. What did you study?"

"Mechanical engineering, by way of physics and math."

Her eyes did that sparkling thing again. I watched more closely. It was an actual physical effect, not an expression. She didn't seem to be bothered by it.

"Math and physics and engineering?" she squealed. "You know all of those? What's e to the i pi?"

"Negative one," I answered. "Euler's identity."

"You mean Muler's," she said, then went on. "How do telephones work? How do you make your electricity without lightning bolts? What makes your weather work?"

"Which one first?" I asked.

Trying to answer all of Twilight Sparkle's questions proved exhausting. Magical or not, healing had depleted my bodily reserves, and I have no idea what kind of strain my injured brain was under. I fell asleep while trying to remember whether Snell's Law used thetas or sigmas. I knew what the law meant just fine, I just couldn't remember which symbol was used to express it.

***

The next few days passed quickly. I don't think I could have been bored even if I'd spend the week sitting quietly staring at the wall, but Twilight Sparkle's constant hunger for information about human science kept me constantly thinking, recalling formulas and explaining how various devices worked.

Such as the sun.

Lero halted the conversation at that one.

"Twilight, wait. Please. Gus, stop. Twilight. Wait. I didn't do a lot of science classes, but I know that how the sun works leads to some very dangerous stuff."

Twilight blinked at him. "Dangerous? Come on, Lero, how can the sun be dangerous? Unless you stand out in it too long and get a sunburn, or if you got Celestia reeeeeally mad."

Lero quietly said, "Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

I was about to correct him, since those were fission bombs, not fusion, but Twilight gasped. "Horshoema? But... an accident like that... you don't have magic in your world, how could..." She trailed off, then started anew. "You learned how to do that. Yourselves. Without magic. And then did it again." She shuddered very visibly. "And Gus. You actually know how to do that?" She didn't give me time to respond before she continued. "I have never before said these words and I hope never to do it again, but please, please, don't teach me that. I don't want to know. I like Ponyville where it is. No questions about the sun. Question withdrawn."

"Orbital mechanics is safe," I said.

And it was back to numbers again. Starting with Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the shortcomings thereof, and off into a discussion about the meaning of G. I couldn't remember what the value was, let alone how it was calculated, and Twilight was clearly putting together a connection between gravity and magic. Then she demonstrated a gravity-reversal spell.

Numbers and pain. I could almost touch the numbers. Like a stereogram, watching form emerge from seeming chaos, but not seeing. Something else. Some other sense. Something...

Magical.

Author's Note:

Anybody have thoughts on what would make a good image to go with this series?